Our minds stay wit us when we die

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ladygrim
A Welsh nurse believes she is close to answering the age-old question of what happens to us once we die. For the past five years, Penny Sartori, from Swansea, has been researching near-death experiences among critically ill patients in the city's Morriston Hospital Intensive Care Unit. And at the end of the five- year study, the most comprehensive of its type ever done, the 32-year-old says she has evidence to show that when people are declared clinically dead, their minds remain active. She has 15 accounts from people that suggest there could be some kind of life after death. Now the findings will be used by Dr Peter Fenwick, an internationally renowned neuro-psychiatrist and Fellow of the Royal Collegeof Psychiatrists, who isconducting research into the subject across the UK.

Nearly all of the accounts she gathered said they floated above the resuscitation room and many gave details about procedures, nurses, porters or doctors they could not have seen from the positions they were lying in.

Many described floating towards a calming, bright light, where they saw relatives beckoning them at first, then eventually telling them to "go back".

But one woman, who has since died, reported a "hell" experience of falling downwards and being surrounded by dark, frightening shapes and noises??? ( i wonder where she went )

A part-time doctoral student at the University of Wales, Lampeter, Mrs Sartori was granted ethical approval to carry out the research, which she used as a thesis for a Phd in near death experiences. An earlier study at a Southampton hospital of 63 severe heart-attack survivors, found seven had "classic" near- death experiences, talking of a tunnel of light.

More research was called for and Mrs Sartori was ideally placed at the intensive care unit in Morriston, where many accident victims or other gravely ill people "clinically die" but are revived by resuscitation techniques.

She said, "What I found is incredible. One man, whose life signs completely went, said he floated above his body and saw everything.

"He described our attempts to revive him in perfect detail, even talking about a doctor who came in while off-duty then left. "The patient's eyes were not even open when this happened and he was not only unconscious he was clinically dead.

"The man described seeing a Jesus-like, bearded figure standing next to his dead father. "He said the figure touched him on the hand and told him to return as it was not his time.

"The amazing thing was that this patient, in his 50s, had suffered a life-long contracture of the hand from birth. "Afterwards the movement returned to his hand."

She said many of the patients she asked about near-death experiences said they would not have volunteered the information if they had not asked.

"This suggests the phenomenon could be more widespread." Mrs Sartori added that near death experiences (NDEs) are mostly positive.

"Nearly all those who have had NDEs tell me that they no longer fear death. In fact, because of what happened to them while clinically dead, they say they are happy to go.

"Of those who have had NDEs, some have been quite religious while others were at best agnostics."

Although it is easy to be sceptical about strange phenomena such as near-death experiences, the world is littered with examples very difficult to explain away...

Imperial_Samura
It is said that the brain continues to function for up to five minutes after the heart and breathing stop..... perhaps that has something to do with it, but yes, it sounds very interesting.....

amity75
I'm fascinated by near death experiences. If they want to prove once and for all if they are real or not then why not simply put an object on top of a cupboard and ask the person who had the experience what they saw on top of the cupboard when they were looking down at the room?

Jackie Malfoy
I know our soul leaves our bodys when we die and go to heaven or hell but as for our minds I really don't know,
But because this is a guess I guess they do go wiht us.It seens to make more sence since our soul goes why not our mind.
OUr body however are lefted behind.I know that much but that is a good question.,JM Happy Dance wink

PRK
bull shit

BackFire
Couldn't have said it better myself. Well done.

lil bitchiness
Please dont spell with - ''wit''. I beg you, as a fellow human being...just no.

KidRock
hahahahaha I was actually interested in this thread until you said that then i was like yea.. they are right bullshit lol.

BackFire
Well, there's no doubt that the premise of this thread is interesting, anything that is unexplainable is interesting, but I just think there's probably a reasonable explanation.

amity75
I fully agree. It really, really, REALLY annoys me.

BadKitty
my brain ain't wit me now. stick out tongue

yerssot
but they will come back to you after the beep no expression

Tex
I belive that those people actually experienced those things.
The brain starts to haywire when its deprived of oxygen and you start dreaming all sorts of crazy shit.

Apparently depriving oxygen triggers very similar visuals in humans (tunnel of light)

There's been tons of TV programs about this stuff. Some people experience a tunnel, some dont.

I think it's just the brain dying from lack of oxygen.

barbarossa
I've never understood why people are so obsessed with their conscious thoughts, personality etc. staying with them after death! I mean these things reside in organic brain cells, once the organic brain cells die the thoughts etc that resided within them die as well. tongue

Mane
wink

PRK
thank you happy

Darth Revan
I think a perfectly reasonable explanation is that the brain simply continues to live for several minutes after the rest of the body is clinically "dead", which we must keep in mind is different from what we generally think of as dead. And probably, as Tex said, it just starts dreaming all kinds of nonsensical crap. Sort of like a person on acid. no expression

BlackC@t
Interesting how the title has pretty much nothing to do with the article......

I thought it meant that we had still think about things, just all we see is black and we can feel pain and stuff, that's my worst fear about death.

I'm afraid if I'm dead or something I'll have to lie in darkness forever, thinking and stuff.

I just wanna be reincarnated!

KidRock
yeah I feel the same way. That is a great fear of mine.. when i die i will just be laying there in darkness and thinking forever.. I sorta hope for reincarnation becuase then i wont remember anything about my former life and the people i loved.. but i also want to go to heaven so i can see all those people again.. that is my view.

WhiteEagle
I think death will be like dreamless sleep. Nothingness.

finti
more like G W Bush`s brain then

Lord Shadow Z
But if you've died how can you even be aware of darkness or an eternal sleep?

deadly_force
it is also said that nails continue to grow for up to 3 months this is also bull sh!t sorry when your dead your dead IMO

WhiteEagle
That's my point man. To me death would most likely be nothingness. In a dreamless sleep you aren't aware of anything, even darkness.

Darth Revan
It's not bull shit. The thing about hair and fingernails, maybe, but the part about the brain isn't unreasonable at all. As I said before, we have to keep in mind that clinically "dead" only means the heart and breathing have stopped. But I've heard stories from people who have been clinically dead for periods of time that they did have conscious thought through the entire experience. The entire body doesn't die at once, there are parts that continue to live after the heart stops.

Silver Stardust
Clinically dead does not equal brain dead.

I don't believe that our minds stay with us once we die or anything, I think that that's just something that people who're scared of death came up with to comfort themselves or something.

The Omega

Jackie Malfoy
What is so bs about what I said.Care to say what you don't argee with,
I think it will be interested to know other people's idea and saying that it is crap what I said leave the question why do you think it is crap?
So does anyone care to delighten me in what I said was wrong or why you disargree with me?JM confused laughing Happy Dance

WhiteEagle
I've heard that the fingernails and hair continue to grow for approximately 2 weeks after you die. Also, that your internal organs decompose creating gasses which build up in the chest cavity and eventually force your organs out of your ass. That said, go cremation!

Mr Zero
If I die and find out that I'm still surrounded by the same minds that I've been around all my life - i'll be majorly pissed off. Personally I'm expecting oblivion.

WhiteEagle
Oblivion is definitely underrated.

Grand Moff Gav
i think death will just be black and mind numingly boring no no

Grand Moff Gav
say no to death live forever like me

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.