Asexual

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Tex
http://cnn.space.printthis.clickability.com/pt/cpt?action=cpt&title=CNN.com+-+Study%3A+One+in+100+adults+asexual+-+Oct+14%2C+2004&expire=-1&urlID=11952797&fb=Y&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2F2004%2FTECH%2Fscience%2F10%2F14%2Fasexual.study%2F&partnerID=2018

LONDON, England (CNN) -- About one percent of adults have absolutely no interest in sex, according to a new study, and that distinction is becoming one of pride among many asexuals.

The new study was conducted by Anthony Bogaert, a psychologist and human sexuality expert at Brock University in St. Catherines, Ontario.

It was published in the latest issue of The Journal of Sex Research and is the focus of a report in this Saturday's issue of New Scientist.

Bogaert's analysis looked at responses to another study in Britain, published in 1994. That study was based on interviews of 18,000 people about their sexual practices.

It offered respondent a list of options. One read: "I have never felt sexually attracted to anyone at all." One percent said they agreed with the statement.

That response level is close to the percentage of gay people in the population, which is around three percent, the New Scientist report says.

New Scientist says such studies offer insights into sexuality, the results remain controversial. "The closest we have got to understanding human asexuals comes from studies -- mostly surveys - of people who report not have sex," it says.

A 1994 survey, published by The University of Chicago Press, found that 13 percent of 3,500 respondents had no sex in the past year. Forty percent of those people said they were extremely happy or very happy with their lives.

"If asexuality is indeed a form of sexual orientation, perhaps it will not be long before the issue of 'A' pride starts attracting more attention," New Scientist says.

Activists have already started campaigning to promote awareness and acceptance of asexuality, it reports.

The Asexual Visibility and Education Network has an online store that sell items promoting awareness and acceptance on asexuality.

Among the items is a T-shirt with the slogan, "Asexuality: it's not just for amoebas anymore."

Very interesting.

I dont know how many more countless studies must be undertaken to reveal that sexuality is genetically determined.

I guess most people still rely on the bible as their scientific journal! roll eyes (sarcastic)

lil bitchiness
Interesting.

I just hope people dont develop one of those stupid little ''insult slogans'' and start saying ''Wow, you are so A''.

Kaleanae
Celibacy! maybe they are practicing it ...

Well, interesting article.

Linkalicious
Great....

1st I can't dis bisexuals

then I can't dis gays

but when you take away my right to dis Asexuals.....this is war! mad

ok...i'm just kidding. Much like most of my childhood....I'll just repress this little "Asexual rights" notion into the back of my brain. big grin

Arachnoidfreak
That...was ****in retarded.

mc pee pants
forever virgin? hurly

Arachnoidfreak
HAHAHA, that's a great smilie! The vomit is coming out of it's eyes too!

mechmoggy
Its a PC minefield out there these days...

In our recent company employee questionnaire, one of the questions was as follows: -

"What would you consider your gender to be?"

There's no simple answers these days... confused

silver_tears
laughing out loud you have to consider this?
wouldn't you know right off the bat huh

mechmoggy
I thought it was best to be honest, so I said "I'm a hetrosexual, who likes to get a little fruity now and then".

Strange, they didn't have a tick box for that option...

silver_tears
what is our world coming to no
not providing you with a tick box for that cry

furryman
I saw this in the paper the other day laughing out loud Not that I read newspapers, it's more of a browse once in a blue moon

Syren
Tick Box named 'Open Minded and Indecisive'. I'd be happy with that. As it is, I have to label myself bisexual, where I'd rather be known as just plain Greedy big grin

mechmoggy
Double your chances. yes

Syren
Yes. That's how I see it big grin

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.