Bands ... difficult?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DarkDementia
Ok, so im learning to play the guitar, and have surpassed everyone i know that has played for about 2 years longer than me (i have played for a month and a half...). I am going to get professional lessons for the guitar because i just cant stand slowing down to their speed (gotta rub it in for them =D)

Heres the question: I have been given more than one offer to join a band in the past week, and i was wondering how hard it is for bands to get known well? I have some friends that can get me free recording, and practice space is easy to come by where i live for free...

Also: Should i get voice lessons? Im not sure if i could sing good or not, but its worth giving it a shot. HOW do bands become very well known and popular??

Turbo-Cajun
If you've been playing for month and a half i would suggest that you play for several more years, spend sometime jamming, learn to play as a group and get some experience writting songs and music. All the good bands were not like "oh, when are we going to get big?when are we going to get famous?".... the good bands are all like "making music is fun as hell, we'd be doing this same shit whether we get famous and rich doing it or whether we just have a blast and party hard"

If your only aim is to get signed... who knows, some groups get put together real quick, but I dont care about them. If your going to be making music thats worth listening to you need to play better than someone whose been playing for 2 years... you need to sound like you've been playing for like 12 years.

If you've had multiple offers, well maybe your just an exception... but I've been playing guitar for 5 years or so... I have a friend with his own private recording equipment and is working on a cd of his own, and another who is going to school for music recording technician, and another in broadcast media, and a bunch of friends who are in different projects themselves and a couple who have earned local airtime on a Minneapolis radio station. I have played in a band before and it is amazingly fun... playing live in front of people is a fun and good thing to do. It gives you a rush. However to more clearly answer your question "HOW do bands become very well known and popular?" there are really two options:

A) sell out your souls, play crappy music that your sure could make it onto the radio and try act punkish and rebelious without really rebelling against anything in particular. Get a hold of a producer and a manager and I'm sure they know the fast track to get you on a label and on your way to one-hit-wonderdom.

or

B) make some well written original music, play together as a band for a while... master your instruments and make songs that reach out and talk to people. Play for a while... try get to play at club's with an amature night kind of thing. In my city there are a couple clubs that will let a couple of local bands get some time on stage with out even an audition... but most make you audition. Play some live music for a while and get some fans who like your shows. Sometime your going to get heard by someone important and things will go from there... some bands move out to an area known for signing bands,but depending where you live you could probably stay where you are.
the most important part of this option is to have a good time and party a healthy amount.

Hope this has been of some help.

TrAnCeDuO
ive been wanting to dj for a long time(as in make up my own beats and songs) but i dont really have the software to do it. if i did get it would making techno songs be difficult or no?

HockeyHorror
sp1200

http://www.altomusic.com/new/ebay/SP1200.jpg

Tirekicker
I have a band.... my fellow guitaritst and I have played together for 3 years and we've both played for 5. Getting a band together that has good chemistry can take awhile... basically you need to establish recognition among the underground and work your way up through like battle of the bands gigs and the last part is getting lucky. Unless you are fantastic it might take awhile, but everything good is worth working for. P.S. our band is the Tirekickers... spread the word.

<<Solo>>
Singing=Easy.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.