Thor vs Dr. Octopus' Arms?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Vellius
Well?

WizardNeedFood
Are we dealing with solely Thor's all-powerful hammer, or is Thor weilding this weapon of destruction whilst facing off head-to-arm in this duel?

Vellius
His post-crisis, pre-Zero Hour hammer, and nothing else.

WizardNeedFood
Without someone to control either, I find this battle all-in-all to be a moot subject. Although, Doc Oc's arms can operate based off their own free-will (Based off what I gathered from viewing the movie, that is), this goes hands-down (pun intended) to Otto Octavius.

Gregory
Huh? Isn't Thor a Marvel character?

Vellius
Are you forgetting issue #354 of Journey Into Mystery, in which Thor's hammer was inhabited by the spirit of Angrboda, Mother of All Monsters, giving its own form of free will?

WizardNeedFood
We've already established the outcome of this battle, so speaking about it further is utterly pointless.

Vellius
Thanks to the events of JLA/Avengers, the Avengers are now officially post-crisis, but pre-Zero Hour. The convergence of the soul gems crossed with the Orb of Ra caused the Avengers, and only the Avengers to subconciously retain the effects of their meeting with DC's foremost heroes.

Speculation abounds that they will be appearing again in Kurt Busiek's JLA run.

Vellius
But the result lies in doubt, for Thor's hammer acts with a will of its own, as do Otto Octavius' arms.

WizardNeedFood
I cannot truly debate that as of yet, seeing as a Thor movie is yet to be produced.

Vellius
This is true, though I hear that Dave Chappelle will be cast in the titular role.

WizardNeedFood
I've already heard good things about Jack Black as the Green Lantern.

Vellius
This is true. He will bring honour and glory to the name that DC comics has so long besmirched since its graceless dismissal of Hal Jordan as Green Lantern.

wrathofachilles
The arms are not independent entities, the movie took a great deal of creative license in that aspect. Besides, the title of this match-up just says 'Thor vs. Dr. Octopus' arms' rather than Thor's hammer, thus Thor would absolutely destroy the arms, with or without Octavius' fat ass involved in the fight or not.

Please tell me you're joking about Jack Black being Green Lantern. I swear to god he is the unfunniest 'comedian' since....well, the last unfunny comedian.

who?-kid
Thor wins, sure, but if he's not being careful, he can expect a huge ass beating, just like Dock Ock did with professor Hulk once.

But still, he wins. When written right, Dock Ock is no match for the son of Odin.

wrathofachilles
Yeah but a couple of things happened there: Ock had adamantium arms, Professor Hulk was a wuss compared to normal Hulk, and he was being a smart-ass instead of trying to actually fight. He was more sarcastic than Spidey, outshining him in his own mag!

Endenkton
Ocks arms would whip Thor's ass!!!

wrathofachilles
Are you high? What the f**k?

Swanky-Tuna
I just picture Thor's hammer sitting there. Doc Oct's arms hanging limp on a coat rack. And an entire arena going nuts. But neither moving.

wrathofachilles
Lol, and the referee is one of the WWE refs who circles the ring with a look of tension on his face as he watches the fight. Then the crowd gets bored, starts a riot, and the ring attendants come to collect the challengers, but nobody can pick the damn hammer up!

Linkalicious
in a physical fight....this would be a pretty good little tussle.

Once Thor calls down a lightning bolt.....adios Doc.

FrothByte
actually thor could throw down his hammer and go mortal combat with doc ock. i mean, thor is class 100. what are doc ocks arms? class 20? thor should easily win the fight if written right.

Dr. Joke
Ock's tentecles will kick Thor's butt. They can't be hurt.

Spiderninja008
they can be destroyed. thor could just allow himself to get captured and then rip them to pieces.

Dr. Joke
If a nuclear weapon won' t even heat them up, what chance does Thor have?

Dr. Joke
By the way I read what you said FrothByte and Ock's arms are higher than 20. In the Sinister Six Combo it is said that Doc is the only member with the sheer physical strength to lift the Oltion Field Generator. The thing weighs 20 tons and he lifted it with two of his tentacles. I think everybody on this page can do the math. The book also said that his speed had been reduced, yet he still climbed the Empire State Building within a matter of seconds!

crazyspinz
doc ocks arms are adimantium, so this all depends what is harder, adimantium or thors all mighty hammer

wrathofachilles
I haven't read Spidey in over a year, but the adamantium arms were only during that one storyline. As for Ock's arms being destroyed, Thor has proven capable of denting adamantium, and you cannot compare a nuclear blast with Asgarian energy. No weapon on Earth matches the godforce blast that Thor dishes out. You don't know much about Thor Mr. Joke.

Kontraz
denting adamantium isn't TOO great. Destroying or ripping it on the other hand would be.

JakeTheBank
Eh heh.

chomperx9
Originally posted by JakeTheBank
Eh heh. what made you even search for the thread ?

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by chomperx9
what made you even search for the thread ?

I just went to the very end of the forum and went backwards, looking for interesting threads.

This one is quite interesting.

Warlord
eek!

basilisk
Since machines can be used to lift Thor's hammer, what if Doc Ock uses his tentacles to grab mjolnir and beat Thor down with it?

Warlord
^when was that?

basilisk
Well, during a fight with the Air-walker robot, Gabriel grabbed hold of the hammer, wrestled it from Thor's grasp, and beat him unconscious with it. He could hold it because he was a robot. Also, Hyde and Cobra once moved the hammer using a mechanical crane. I think there were a couple of other times too.

So if Ock could grab the hammer using his tentacles, could he do the same? And if he also has the adamantium tentacles... could this go the same way as adamantium Ock's fights against Hulk and Iron Man - where Ock absolutely wrecked and humiliated them both?

chomperx9
also in this thread Docs arms are Adamantium eek!

FanBoy101
Originally posted by Doctor-Alvis
I just picture Thor's hammer sitting there. Doc Oct's arms hanging limp on a coat rack. And an entire arena going nuts. But neither moving. I miss Good old Docto alvis... sad

Rage.Of.Olympus
Originally posted by basilisk
Since machines can be used to lift Thor's hammer, what if Doc Ock uses his tentacles to grab mjolnir and beat Thor down with it?

I wouldn't bet on it. The tentacles would be considered an extension of Doctor Octopus I'd wager so it wouldn't work. Even something like telekinesis has failed. I assumed Air Warlker is completely mechanical with no spirit, or an anomaly.

By the way, the last time we saw something mechanical attempt to lift Mjolnir -the most powerful cranes on an alien world- they failed.

FanBoy101
Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus
I wouldn't bet on it. could Cyborg supes do it?... confused

Rage.Of.Olympus
From what I've seen, he definitely has a form of consciousness or soul, so no.

Based on overall continuity this is my take:

If you have a person working a mechanical arm trying to lift Mjolnir, they'd fail. If you programmed a mechanical arm to lift Mjolnir without any human interaction needed for the operation etc. it would succeed.

JakeTheBank
I know several people argue Henshaw could do it based off of his Source Wall feat...

Rage.Of.Olympus
Henshaw lift Mjolnir? K.

JakeTheBank
Henshaw lift Mjolnir? K.

I personally don't agree with that, but it's come up on the forums before. It was an extremely high end feat for Hank and while I could see a writer having Hank somehow "get around" the enchantment, as a rule, I certainly don't think so. Especially if Thor is willing Mjolnir back.

Rage.Of.Olympus
How would Henshaw "get around" the enchantment exactly?

FanBoy101
How would Henshaw "get around" the enchantment exactly? He was able to make the lantern rings work on hy cybernetic arms... confused

Rage.Of.Olympus
Okay, so?

FanBoy101
Okay, so? they need flesh too work... confused

Rage.Of.Olympus
Tell that to the non organic Green Lantern members.

Heck, Alpha Lanterns are more mechanical than flesh from what I've seen. Granted, they have been specially formatted.

rotiart
There are aliens that are made of rock... That wear the rings.

FanBoy101
Originally posted by rotiart
There are aliens that are made of rock... That wear the rings. but but they are alive and Cyborg supes is not, he is like the Terminators, some parts of his body have covering flesh but his brains and organs, spine are machine... confused

JakeTheBank
How would Henshaw "get around" the enchantment exactly?

I would imagine it would be a prep feat, if anything, as he needed prep for the Source Wall. On the fly, if he used technopathy to make a machine or robot to pick up Mjolnir, I'd believe it. Henshaw on his own trying to lift the hammer with his own hand without any kind of explanation or prep would fail, imo.

Rage.Of.Olympus
That's a possible method. If he uses a mechanical machine besides himself it's possible but I still wouldn't bet on it. There is an intent to lift the hammer by someone not worthy who can be read by it. If telekinesis doesn't work etc. I don't think this tactic would work.

Saying "prep" doesn't answer my question. Unless he uses some gravity nullifying trick or something, I don't see how he'll overcome the enchantment.

JakeTheBank
That's a possible method. If he uses a mechanical machine besides himself it's possible but I still wouldn't bet on it. There is an intent to lift the hammer by someone not worthy who can be read by it. If telekinesis doesn't work etc. I don't think this tactic would work.

Saying "prep" doesn't answer my question. Unless he uses some gravity nullifying trick or something, I don't see how he'll overcome the enchantment.

Well, as Hank is one of the best technopaths in either DC or Marvel, I could see him somehow integrating with Mjolnir or other Asgardian artifacts as they can be argued to be highly advanced "alien" technology instead of being divine weaponry. Don't get me wrong: I personally don't see it happening myself, but I can see how it could happen in a comic book setting. Some writers eschew the whole magical/mystical god concept of the Asgardians and prefer to portray them more as highly advanced cosmic beings instead of mythological super-beings. As such, I can see Henshaw accomplishing it within the context of the story.

Forum setting? Definitely not plausible.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Well, as Hank is one of the best technopaths in either DC or Marvel, I could see him somehow integrating with Mjolnir or other Asgardian artifacts as they can be argued to be highly advanced "alien" technology instead of being divine weaponry. Don't get me wrong: I personally don't see it happening myself, but I can see how it could happen in a comic book setting. Some writers eschew the whole magical/mystical god concept of the Asgardians and prefer to portray them more as highly advanced cosmic beings instead of mythological super-beings. As such, I can see Henshaw accomplishing it within the context of the story.

Forum setting? Definitely not plausible.

erm

Point me to a single issue that refers to Mjolnir as advanced alien technology instead of a mystical weapon of incredible power.

The closest thing even beginning to support that stance is that one page during Ellis' run that refers to Asgardians as advanced aliens. And on top of that, it was a page from a book that a Detective bought at a book store IIRC.

Asgardians have been written as more cosmic than viking esque at times, but they were still deities. They simply had a balanced mixture of advanced technology and mystical power. Ex: Jack Kirby's take.

Henshaw is not integrating with Mjolnir.

Let's say for arguments sake that a writer wrote Mjolnir as advanced technology, even then I wouldn't be completely certain he could do it. IIRC, he illustrated a limit in the recent Green Lantern Corps arc.

JakeTheBank
erm

Point me to a single issue that refers to Mjolnir as advanced alien technology instead of a mystical weapon of incredible power.

The closest thing even beginning to support that stance is that one page during Ellis' run that refers to Asgardians as advanced aliens. And it was a page of a book that some investigator got from a store.

Some of Bendis' Avengers oral histories as well as how Fraction is interpreting Asgardians points to their "magic" just being super advanced technology. Even old Kirby/Lee issues play around with that idea, iirc.

I personally feel the Asgardians should be portrayed more as gods in the conventional mythological sense than cosmic beings who were just "mistaken" for gods and ran with it.

Besides, the Source Wall itself can fit the bill for tech as well as being divine in origin.

I've seen dumber shit go down in comics and given Henshaw's history, it's not that wild. If anything, at best, he uses tech/machines to pick up Mjolnir than doing it himself or using technopathy and the like to "hack" Mjolnir.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Some of Bendis' Avengers oral histories as well as how Fraction is interpreting Asgardians points to their "magic" just being super advanced technology. Even old Kirby/Lee issues play around with that idea, iirc.

IIRC, there was one statement by Iron Man referring to them possessing extremely advanced technology far beyond what we have now. Unfortunately, that is even less evidence than the scene in Ellis' run.

Care to point to any examples from either Fraction's or Kirby's run?

I personally feel the Asgardians should be portrayed more as gods in the conventional mythological sense than cosmic beings who were just "mistaken" for gods and ran with it.

I think they should be a mixture of both. They should be shown using high tech weaponry and technology while possessing powerful magic.

Besides, the Source Wall itself can fit the bill for tech as well as being divine in origin.

I've seen dumber shit go down in comics and given Henshaw's history, it's not that wild. If anything, at best, he uses tech/machines to pick up Mjolnir than doing it himself or using technopathy and the like to "hack" Mjolnir.

I consider Mjolnir as about as technological as the Infinity Gauntlet (Not a reference of power).

That's not an argument. Lol at hacking Mjolnir.

It's not advanced technology and I cannot imagine any writer treating it as such.

JakeTheBank
*shrug*

As I've said, I don't think it's likely to go down in a comic and if it did, it would likely go down as a high end feat for Hank much like the Source Wall feat was. Him "hacking" (which I find to be abundantly silly myself) Mjolnir isn't what's likely to go down if such a thing did happen. If anything it will be Hank using machines or other tech to pick up/use Mjolnir or Hank doing it himself with writer considering him more "machine than man", and both are far more plausible to go down in a comic than Henshaw directly taking Mjolnir over.

In a forum setting, no, I don't see Hank doing it period or at least enough for it to be considered a viable tactic.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Is it possible? Sure, but then again, the same can be said for anything in a comic.

Mjolnir has always been treated as a mystical weapon. I'm hesitant to admit even the slightest possibility of it happening.

JakeTheBank
Fair enough. thumb up

basilisk
I wouldn't bet on it. The tentacles would be considered an extension of Doctor Octopus I'd wager so it wouldn't work. Even something like telekinesis has failed. I assumed Air Warlker is completely mechanical with no spirit, or an anomaly.

By the way, the last time we saw something mechanical attempt to lift Mjolnir -the most powerful cranes on an alien world- they failed. Though Hyde and Cobra did lift it with a crane. Different writers...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.