wtf...i dont get it...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

HockeyHorror
why???

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/customer-reviews/B00005ATQJ/ref=cm_rev_sort/002-8084884-1349634?customer-reviews.sort_by=byExactRating_1&me=ATVPDKIKX0DER&x=9&y=15 confused confused

HockeyHorror
bull shit....i loved this movie..

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/customer-reviews/B00026L7OA/ref=cm_rev_sort/002-8084884-1349634?customer-reviews.sort_by=byExactRating_1&me=ATVPDKIKX0DER&x=15&y=4

HockeyHorror
this too!!!
confused
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/customer-reviews/B00005LINC/ref=cm_rev_sort/002-8084884-1349634?customer-reviews.sort_by=byExactRating_1&me=ATVPDKIKX0DER&x=7&y=8

Cinemaddiction
I've held the same opinion for a while myself.

HockeyHorror
confused

BackFire
It's called having poor taste. No big deal, just disregaurd their reviews.

Also, don't fret, there are over 500 total reviews for the shining on that site, and only 40 of them are 1 star reviews. They are the minority in thinking that it's a bad movie, and for good reason.

Most of those people probably just don't know what a good horror movie is. Hope they have fun with Friday the 13th and Halloween.

One guys shitty taste is made abundant if you look through the rest of his reviews. He gave The Shining 1 star, but gave 8MM, The Passion of the Christ and the Mothman Prophecies 5 stars. Also gave Darkness Falls 3 stars, thus saying it's better then The Shining, thus proving that his opinion is about as valid as a pile of dog shits.

SaTsuJiN
I liked the mothman prophecies... ; ;
but the rest were crap. =.-

shining is always classic... http://www.angryalien.com/0504/shiningbunnies.html
the shining in 30 seconds (with bunnies! o,o)

HockeyHorror
laughing out loud

thegreatrudini
some people are so negative The Shinning is good i prefer the remake tho

thegreatrudini
that site is funny as fook he he

Cinemaddiction
Well, taste is both personal and subjective. Of course of you like the movie, you're going to be partial to only positive reviews. Just because they didn't like a "classic", which is both subjective and overused, doesn't mean they have bad taste. confused

My take? I think people take into account the following;

A) It's Kubrick, whos work is an acquired taste in and of itself.

B) It's Jack's best singular performance.

C) The visuals.

That said, those 3 elements don't make a "classic", IMO. What about the supporting cast? Snore. The setting? Even more boring. The story? A haunted hotel and a guy suffering from cabin fever and writers block?

This stuff may have been spooky and entertaining in 1980, but IMO, it doesn't stand the test of time. While it IS better than most of the swill teen horror we've had to suffer through, I don't think it lives up to the hype generated by/for it over the years.

The visuals alone are the stuff of legend, but when we are debating what makes an honest to God classic, movies have to rely on more than bloody elevators and clever framing.

BackFire
Uh huh, as I pointed out, one guys bad taste is made perfectly clear in some of the movie he gave higher scores (8mm, Darkness Falls, ect).

Taste is subjective, but when you give two undeniably crappy, generic movies higher scores then a film that has outstanding directing, tension that can be cut with a knife, great music and acting, and an atmosphere uncomparable to any other, that's when it shows someone has bad taste. I have no problem with anyone who thinks the shining doesn't live up to it's rep, but giving it one star is simply ignoring all the things it does well. It's possible to dislike a movie and still recognize it as being well made and resectable. Giving the film 1 star means that it has no good qualities, which is baltantly false, and if a person can't recognize ANY of it's many good qualities, they then have bad taste and probably don't know much about movies, or the horror genre in general. Both of these is made abundant but the dude giving Darkness Falls 3 stars, which actually has NO redeaming values.

As to what makes The Shining a classic is that it is simply a visually, and atmospheric experience unlike any other. Not to mention the acting and directing are both top of the line and damn near unbeatable. What makes a movie a classic is the impact it has on both the audience and the industry, usually. The Shining did both, plus all of the other things I mentioned, thus, it is, and should be recognized, as a classic horror film.

MildPossession
That looks a bit dodgy, looks like someone just made a load of negative reviews all by himself/herself. Not one positive review which I find hard to believe.

I didn't look at all, so forgive me if there was a positive one.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.