The Sinclair Controversy

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Dr. Strangelove
From what I've read I have no doubts that Sinclair is trying to help Bush win the election when you look at all the tie in's they have with the republican party and when it's being broadcast right before the election. Just wondering what all of your opinions of this?

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/business/9931083.htm?1c

Kinda scary how much more we will probably see of this in the 2008 election's and beyond.

Tex
Of course they're biased and pro-republican.

I just watched Michael Moore on Leno and he has offerd Sinclair Fahrenheit 9/11 FREE! To be broadcasted on their network.

If they are fair and unbiased, as they claim they are, they should have no problem airing it.

Dr. Strangelove
Yeah, they'll probably call it liberal propaganda.

Zanthor
They are as fair and balanced as Fox News. I watch it sometimes just to get excersice shaking my head in disbelief. It will just get worse...

Tex
That's the difference between liberals and conservatives.

Liberals want to hear both sides of the story, differing opinions and different views on issues.

Conservatives cling in tight cliques, separating themselves and attacking anyone who questions their ideology.

That's why there are very popular conservative networks like FOX News and Sinclar and no big liberal networks.

In fact the first liberal radio network was a big failure.
Liberals aren't closed minded.

PVS
sinclair will be forcing all its stations to run the "swiftboat veterans" adds. im convinced the the right is just f***ing evil. they are lying, cheating, steeling, and going against everything their precious bible stands for. it really sickens me.

here's another article on the topic
http://www.truthout.org/docs_04/101604F.shtml

PVS
SINCLAIR GETS MILITARY CONTRACT! (surprise surprise)
http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=109&STORY=/www/story/09-28-2004/0002260384&EDATE=
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FOLSOM, Calif., Sept. 28 /PRNewswire/ -- Jadoo Power Systems, Inc (Jadoo),
a leading provider of portable power products, was awarded a contract to
develop power systems for the US Special Operations Command (SOCOM). The program's goal is to reduce the weight of energy storage carried in the field by the Special Forces.

Evaluation of Jadoo's SuREII power systems purchased earlier by SOCOM
produced positive results, leading to the current contract. "This award is
proof of our capability to provide power systems for portable and remote
applications that provide superior runtimes in small packages," said Larry
Bawden, President and CEO of Jadoo. "We are one of the first companies to
provide commercial fuel cell products and this contract demonstrates SOCOM's
confidence in Jadoo to offer power packaged for military applications."

Jadoo is currently selling commercial power products to surveillance and
law enforcement agencies as well as television stations and professional video
providers. This contract allows Jadoo to expand its current product lines to
address the power needs of the military "Special Forces" marketplace.
Jadoo's products provide extended runtime at a reduced weight. The power
systems are rapidly deployable, while offering reliable power and quiet
operation.

About Jadoo Power Systems:
Jadoo Power Systems, Inc. is a market-focused company that develops and
sells next-generation, portable energy storage and power generation products.
Jadoo's investors include Sinclair Ventures, a wholly owned subsidiary of
Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc. as well as other individuals.

PVS
yet more news:

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20041018/ap_en_mo/kerry_film_1
By DAVID B. CARUSO, Associated Press Writer

PHILADELPHIA - A Vietnam veteran shown in a documentary criticizing Sen. John Kerry (news - web sites)'s anti-war activities filed a libel lawsuit against the movie's director Monday, saying the film falsely calls him a fraud and a liar.

Kenneth J. Campbell, now a professor at the University of Delaware, said in the suit that "Stolen Honor: Wounds That Never Heal" combines footage of him appearing at a 1971 war protest with narration that claims that many of the supposed veterans who took part in the event were later "discovered as frauds" who "never set foot on the battlefield, or left the comfort of the States, or even served in uniform."

The suit said viewers would be left with the perception that Campbell had lied about his military service.

Campbell attached copies of his military records to the suit, showing that he received the Purple Heart medal and eight other medals, ribbons and decorations for his service as an artillery forward observer in Vietnam in 1968 and 1969.

The suit names the film's producer, Carlton Sherwood, and his company, Red White and Blue Productions, as defendants.

"The defendants' malicious, reckless and scandalous misrepresentations and falselight presentations of Dr. Campbell were done with the specific intent to defame Dr. Campbell and place him in a false light, and with a reckless and outrageous disregard for the truth," Campbell's attorney wrote in the lawsuit.

Campbell's lawyer also threatened legal action against the Sinclair Broadcast Group, an owner of 62 television stations that has announced that it intends to pre-empt regular program to broadcast "Stolen Honor" two weeks before the election.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

there you have it, more of sinclair and the right wing stealing the honor
of men who have gone above and beyond the call of duty.

how very noble (note sarcasm)

BackFire
Every news station has an agenda and a side they are on. Get over it.

Liberals and conservatives are both dumb.

PVS
i dont see kerry using media conglomerates to support an agenda of lies to discredit war heros.
everyone who's cable networks fall under the sinclair company are only seeing one side, and a pack of lies at that. its not a level playing field.
a media giant pushing manditory lies is not 'politics as usual', sorry.

its not a single station, its ALL stations. big difference.

BackFire
That's because there are no liberal stations who would side with him. I'm sure if their were, he'd be using htem to his advantage as well.

PVS
but you miss the point.
sinclair is not a station, its a media company which runs programming.
they will put the add on ALL stations within their territory, be it righty news, lefty news, sci-fi channel, history channel, whatever. at the same time they block democrat ads. its WAAAAY
different than a single stations's political bias. its just dirty.

BackFire
Ah, gotcha.

But again, I'm sure Kerry would capitolize if there was a media company who catered to the liberals if one existed.

WindDancer
That's politics my friend! A dirty business. Look at Michael Moore, he is going to different Universities Campuses promoting support for Kerry. Not to long ago he was at the USC campus asking students to vote for Kerry. Is all about who has the upper hand. In this case Republicans have control of the media and Democrats have Michael Moore. Is all part of winning the election with tactics.

BackFire
"In this case Republicans have control of the media and Democrats have Michael Moore"

haha, republicans have control of every major station in America, thousands and thousands of media personel...and democrats have some fat guy who wears a baseball hat.

PVS
a media giant pushing one-side adds on ALL stations to ALL subscribers in not the same as F-911. people have a choice as to whether or not they watch F-911. they dont have to go out of their way to avoid it, to say the least.

people under the sinclair company would have to leave their TV's off in order to avoid the swiftboat adds.

its not the same.

PVS
and if he did i would call him a dirty scumbag.

Tex
That really squelches the old stereotype that the media is run by Jewish liberal democrats! laughing out loud

Raz
Could somebody explain who or what Sinclair is?

PVS
sinclair is a media giant, part of which owns a cable network which spans much of america. basically, if you live in certain areas, and you want cable, then you have to deal with sinclair. they pick and choose their sponsors, be it walmart or burger king, or a creepy right wing campaign meant to discredit war veterans. they also choose to 'conveniently' block other sponsers.

PVS
good call.

and repubs STILL have the nerve to say the media is unfairly biased toward the left. roll eyes (sarcastic)

PVS
looks like boycott threats are working!!! big grin burger king FOLDS!!! who's next??

Burger King bars ads from TV show discussing Kerry

NEW YORK, Oct 20 (Reuters) - Hamburger chain Burger King said on Wednesday that it would not run its commercials during a controversial program about U.S. presidential candidate John Kerry to be aired by Sinclair Broadcast Group .

Sinclair on Tuesday backed away from airing a documentary critical of Kerry's Vietnam War-era record, but said it would show portions of that film in a special program that discusses allegations he betrayed fellow veterans with his antiwar activities.

Burger King's move suggests advertisers may not be assured the new program's format averts political controversy. Democrats have branded plans to air the program as a blatant partisan attack less than two weeks before the Nov. 2 ballot.

Sinclair broadcasts in key states like Florida and Ohio whose voters could decide the close election race. Some of the company's top executives have been major contributors to President George W. Bush and his fellow Republicans.

Burger King said in a statement that it "does not endorse any candidate or political party."

In response to the controversy, Sinclair said on Tuesday it would not air the entire documentary "Stolen Honor: Wounds That Never Heal," which accuses Kerry, a Democratic senator from Massachusetts, of betraying fellow Vietnam veterans by testifying more than 30 years ago against the war and about atrocities he said were committed by U.S. forces.

Baltimore-based Sinclair said it would instead broadcast an hour-long program on Friday titled "A POW Story: Politics, Pressure and the Media" about the use of documentaries to influence voting that would include a discussion of Kerry's anti-Vietnam War activity.

A Sinclair official said the company respected Burger King's decision. He could not say whether other advertisers had pulled their commercials from the program.

Sinclair shares fell nearly 17 percent after the controversy began earlier this month, with investors concerned about a potential advertising boycott or legal threat.

After Sinclair clarified its broadcast plans, the stock rose 12.6 percent on Wednesday to close at $7.05 on the Nasdaq.

Burger King recently launched a nonpartisan Internet campaign under its brand slogan "Have It Your Way," encouraging young voters to head to the polls.

Privately held Burger King said its decision affects one day of advertising in nine local markets where it had scheduled commercial time.

hunchy
The only Republican news station out there is Fox News. The rest are liberal...its only the liberals that would say otherwise...and as for what they say in Fahrenheit 9/11 about Fox News calling Bush and then the other stations listening to them and then following what they said...that's bullshit...#1, the stations wouldn't follow Fox News...never...#2, ALL stations called Gore...and then they realized that they were wrong...even CNN said so...

Tex
Fox News called Florida for Bush because the head news director was Bush's cousin.

PVS
^^^^

bingo

Grand Moff Gav
who are you people

Grand Moff Gav
the fact is the americans are nice people but bush and kerry are twats so who cares

PVS
well, if we stop caring then what of democracy?

Zanthor
I read in my local peper today that Sinclair backed down from their own stance. They will not be airing the Anti-Kerry 9/11 show at least the entire program. I guesw enough people complained about it.

This article talks about how they are backpedaling. Seems they are not airingg the whole thing...
http://www.newsday.com/news/local/longisland/politics/ny-ussinc204012797oct20,0,4282984,print.story?coll=ny-lipolitics-print

This is an article by Professor Bainbridge...
http://www.professorbainbridge.com/2004/10/the_sinclair_br.html

This is an article against Sinclair written for CBS News...
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/10/11/opinion/main648665.shtml

I guess shareholders were not to happy about the decision to air the anti-Kerry show. Wall street then hit them with a major stock drop. See, Money makes these executives listen when common sense doesn't.

hunchy
Oh joy, another forum of conspiracy theories and people trying to help Bush win the elections...crap...

Sorry, but Fahrenheit 9/11 IS propaganda...but its not even liberal...I couldn't tell you what it was...

"Yeah, they'll probably call it liberal propaganda."

And of course Moore will let them air it for free...he's a freakin multi-millionaire...he doesn't need anymore money...but funny that he's against rich people...yet he is himself...talk about a major hypocrite...

Zanthor
Here you go again. Did you even go to the above sites? This is not a conspiracy Theory. My post was about Sinclair's decision to play an anti-Kerry program. This actually happened and Sinclair is losing stock price because they were willing to cut normal programing to play these anti-Kerry 'Documentaries'. But they would not play F 9/11.

They are all Propaganda Tools. Why should they play one and not the other?
Long live King George. Oh I mean Vote for Kerry! cool

Tex
And he eats babies and wipes his ass with the bible too! roll eyes (sarcastic)

He hates rich people? I dont think he hates his many rich and famous friends. I'm sure there are tons of wealthy philanthropists he admires and appreciates.

Calling him a major hypocrite in regards to his wealth is ridiculous.

Yeah, Sinclair received a rotten spanking.
That's the only way these people learn, you have to hit them in the pocket book.

They quickly hide their bibles and Republican membership cards when you threaten to shrink their bank accounts.

hunchy
Moore constantly talks about rich people like their evil and yet he is very wealthy...your making me sound evil by saying that because I'm against abortion that I think people who do are baby eaters and people who are against the bible are asses too...I don't think either...so whatever...

PVS
its 100% factual news from the AP, and you blow more hot steam out
your ass "duh, its just another conspiracy threory"

hunchy
Says who? Your mommy?

PVS
oh boy, and i thought you had already reached your low.
whats next, are you going to close your arguement by calling me a doo doo head poopy brain?

hunchy
You beat me to it...dang...But I was asking WHERE it said that that was 100% accurate?

PVS
so you basically want me to repost the articles?
go back and read them, im not wasting my time.
you can choose to be ignorant, its a free country.
if you choose to see reality as everything you WANT to
believe, that is also your perogative (although if you take it
to far you may find yourself commited.

so go ahead and wear your ignorance like a badge of honor, flood the forums with your articles based on opinion and ignore the facts. nobody can stop you, as im sure you've figured out. however, you cant intimidate people with spam bombs of useless information, it wont sway people to your side. seriously, are you trying to convince other people? or just shut everyone up? if i were so adament about proving bush to be the better man, im sure i would take a different approach.

hunchy
It's funny...what you say is facts and what I say is opinion...that I say is YOUR opinion....which you choose to believe...And your right, we are all entitled to our own. Sorry, but just because you post a link to some freakin weird newsource, I've never heard of before...you think I'm gonna believe something that THEY think might be true...I don't think so. What they state is NOT FACT....its an opinion...You really need to read your dictionary.

PVS
yeah, Reuters is just "some freakin weird news source"

roll eyes (sarcastic)

hunchy
What about prnewswire.com?

PVS
what about it?

http://www.prnewswire.com/

research the site for yourself.
you obviously take my word for nothing, so why do you ask?
and since you ask, its news in business.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.