Marie-Antoinette

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Archduchess
He-heh... big grin

I'm so glad! Just luv Antoinette!!! She was the best of all queens ever! Can't wait for this movie!!! stick out tongue

MildPossession
I don't have high hopes for it, especially with Kirsten Dunst in the lead!! She is not a strong enough actress to play the role of Marie-Antoinette.

angelsflame265
She seems to be getting cast in a lot of roles that happened in the past, she might do well in it. And I also like Marie-Antoinette so i'm excited!

Axel von Fersen
I too am much looking forward to the Marie Antoinette movie.

Not sure about Kirstin Dunst as the Queen. Think I would have preferred Kate Winslet. Kate is also the preference at my yahoo group where we have a poll on best actress to play Marie Antoinette -
(my group is listed in profile if you'd like to visit smile

Great picture of Marie Antoinette en Gaulle - thank you Archduchess!!

Axel

Archduchess
Yeah, you're right, Axel! I'd have preferred Drew Barrymore as Antoinette myself, but... S good anyway.
(she HAS the LIP) yes

Archduchess
Now that we have movie stills it a lot easier to judge this upcoming movie, which is to come next year, 13th Oct.
Kirsten might do well in it, but she will NEVER be a Marie Antoinette to those, who know this Queen well. One thing is definite. She will be better than Joely Richardson in The Affair of the Necklace!giljotiini

phitaukyle1
I just came across the listing of the Marie Antoinette movie and I really want to see it. I'm not an architectural or historical professional (in law school) but French royal history is my forte. I'm especially interested in the court of Louis XIV, but Marie Antoinette is interesting as well, I just think that the court's etiquette of the 17fh century was more fascinating than the late 18th century of Marie Antoinette. I'm an architectural buff, and I can't wait to see the shots of Versailles, as in one of the pre-production photos saw, the Dunst was in the Galerie Basse (directy below the Hall of Mirrors, which the last time I was at Versailles, was not open to visitors). The info I've read about the movie is inaccurate, which troubles me. First of all, Madame Victoire, played by Molly Shannon was Louis XIV's aunt, not Marie's. Second, Louis XV was not Louis XVI's father, but his grandfather (Louis XVI's father was the Dauphin Louis Ferdinand who was married to Marie Josephe de Saxe). I wonder if the two other notoriously obnoxious daughters of Louis XV, Madame Adelaide and Madame Henriette are portrayed. I see that Maria Theresa is on the cast, so hopefully they will film some scenes at Schloss Schonbrunn. THe thing I've notice with a lot of period films about France is that often, the producer's film at the Chateau of Vaux le Vicomte, and try to pass it off as Versailles or otherwise (the Affair of the Necklace as an example, and the most recent Man in the Iron MAsk. Hopefully most of the scenes are at Versailles. I notice on one of the photos also shows the wedding between Antoinette and Louis in the extremely identifiable Chapel Royal at Versailles, but the court dress looks a bit later than the date of the marriage. Its great to see others that are enthusiastic about this topic

Solo
I can't wait for this one. Don't care much for Dunst, but I think she might be able to pull it off. It looks like a lot of fun. Plus, Jason Schwartzman is awesome.

cleo715
I'm also not glad about the casting. Kirsten Dunst is a horrible actress, she tries hard, but it's just a craft she still hasn't mastered. I disagree with the comment about Joely Richardson. She was great as Marie Antoinette in "The Affair of the necklace", the right amount of snootiness, and an incredible resemblance, but I guess she's a bit older to play the younger Marie Antoinette.

I think, Jason Scharzman is OK, but I saw the previews, though his face is very resmblant of Louis XVI, I guess her dear cousin (Sofia Coppola) spared him the "agony" of having to gain a few pounds, one of the distinctive characteristics of Louis XVI, I'm not pleased about his glamorization, since part of this historical figure's many errors and shortcomings, personally and as King, came from his portly complexion and how that affected his sense of self.

Strangelove
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/4/41/Marie-Antoinette_poster.jpg/403px-Marie-Antoinette_poster.jpg

SnakeEyes
Movie looks utterly terrible to me.

Strangelove
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
Movie looks utterly terrible to me. It looks interesting...I might see it, I like Sophia Coppola

Solo
I saw it yesterday, it's one of the best films of the decade. My first 5/5 all year.

shugie99
Really See I don't know what to think of this one....I like Dunst though!

Andrew McLeod
I just saw this and I have to say it's one of my favorites. I thought Kirsten did wonderfully. She hit that young, frivality very well but there were moments when she understood her position...the scene with the mob in front of Versailles was...just beautiful. I love Sofia Coppola for this movie.

shugie99
This was supposed to be one of those great movie but I could never get into it

Leggy_n_Merry
I really liked it aswell. It got quite bad reviews didn't it, but I loved it. It was so visually stunning aswell.

SnakeEyes
Anyone care to tell me what made this movie so great?

Andrew McLeod
It was just a wonderful telling of an often misunderstood character in history. And it was lavish and unforgettable in it's telling. I found the cinematography, the sound, the acting, the costumes and the directing all to be top notch. It was wonderfully poignant and it's a piece of history. It just made Marie Antoinette into a more iconic figure in the eyes of a new generation. I think the opening show of her was brilliant...being fitted for a shoe and eating some wonderful confection with that look in her eyes. It was iconic. I hope Dunst is remembered for this portrayal.

But still...I can see why people wouldn't like it. I can accept that it's not everyone's cup of tea.

marapets
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
Movie looks utterly terrible to me.
ha mate my gf dragged me along to it what a waste of beer money! terrible plotless depthless.the only decent thing about is that kirsten dunce is fit lol! Happy Dance

Solo
Originally posted by marapets
ha mate my gf dragged me along to it what a waste of beer money! terrible plotless depthless.the only decent thing about is that kirsten dunce is fit lol! Happy Dance
Hilarious.

Akira99
I actually enjoyed this movie a lot. My Mum hated it but I thought it worked quite well and accomplished its point well. Not a bad film at all

PIRATES=SEX
UHHH. me and my friend went and saw it for my 15th birthday and let me tell you.... WE BASICALLY LAUGHED OUT LOUD. it was utterlly hilarious how stupid the movie was. Kirsten could have done so much better. She didnt have enough speaking parts. The movie was cast horridly besides kirsten. I basically could not wait when the movie was in the cinemas to see it and let me tell ya waste of 10 dollors.TISK TASK.

Solo
Originally posted by PIRATES=SEX
The movie was cast horridly besides kirsten.
Seriously? Dunst was the worst part about it, and she did a fine job.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.