Why is not going to church every sunday a sin to the christens?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jackie Malfoy
My Friend who been raise Catloic says that not going to church on sundays was a sin.
I wanted to ask her why it was a sin but she had to leave and I had not seen her latly yet.So does anyone here have any thoughts on this or can tell me why it is a sin to miss church on a sunday?Thanks JM smokin' Happy Dance

Samurai Guy
You would assume that God took Sundays off for rest and quiet, or maybe to watch football.

Mane
Catholicism and Christianity have big differences, even though they are kinda the same. Catholics have much stricter views.

its not a sin if you dont go to church every Sunday. onle legalistic Christians say stuff like that.

wuTa
read the ten commandments

BackFire
God is like an insecure girlfriend, he wants you to do something to prove how much you care for him, even if there is no real reason too.

If god is everywhere why go to some building every sunday to pray to him?

Mane
^^ thats exactly true. even in the Bible, Jesus didnt go to the temple to pray. you can pray to God anyplace anytime. Church's can be just big mokeymakers sometimes.

WindDancer
Can you ask your friend to join KMC? I want to read her thoughts directly from her.

Samurai Guy
A summary of my religious views.

And the God <--> insecure girlfriend contrast was classic.

Syren
This popped straight into my head as soon as I read the title of this thread.

And please guys, try not to be so hard on Jackie. I totally ripped into her as soon as she joined, but I think credit needs to be given simply because she bypassed the OTF in favour of here, and still a n00b!

finti
because they need to go to church that day to ask forgiveness for the wrongdoings of Saturday night wink

carnival_junkie
please learn to type correctly before making further posts.
thank you.

Christians*
Catholic*
Lately*

Fiery Eyes
My opinion is: Its not a sin, to miss church, (although, I rarely if ever miss church, cuz I thk thats his day and I shld be there) but when a person misses 1 sunday, you tend to continually keep missing, then you stop reading, stop praying....til you stop everything. The bible also says to Assemble yourself w/believers. You need that fellowship, and you grow spiritually going to church along w/growing in your everyday life.

Jackie Malfoy
You guys had answeared my question good so far and alot of it makes sences in a way.
As for my friend joining I have to ask her she does not go online as offen I do and is involved in so many school stuff that she would never find the time.
And on top of that I losed her phone number and she lives near my mom's house.Who I will not see until next friday.Anyway I will check the spelling too on here thanks for the advice.JM Happy Dance

big gay kirk
Just to stick my oar in.... The Bible commands the worshippers of jehovah to keep "His Sabbath..." this was held to begin at sundown on Friday night, and carry on until sundown on Saturday... until the 2nd century, this sabbath was kept by Christians and Jews, until anti-semitic laws were passed... as teh Romans were trying to distance their "Christianity" from the original jewish form, Christians were put under increasing pressure not to "Judaize..." They were encouraged by Constantine the Great, worshipper of Sol Invictus, to combine their day of worship with that of the Sun-god... hence the Sabbath was moved to Sunday... therefore, ever since, any Christian who keeps Sunday as the sabbath is breaking the commandment to keep holy the sabbath given by God....

DuronKiller
hah wanted to post sth. like that right now.. but saw your post big grin
there are bibles where's sabbath replaced with sunday What the f**k?

...and the bible doesnt say you have to go to church.... it just says that you mustnt work on sabbath, because god rested on this day too.

clickclick
Its not though, you dont have to go at all.

Cinemaddiction
...and are usually 100 times more hypocriticial, too.

Going to church is more for fellowship than worship, IMO. Worship, I can do in the privacy of my own home, which makes the relationship a lot more intimate and personally gratifying.

FeceMan
It is not a sin, you ignoramus.

Fearnix
I go to church every sunday for 4 hours and they do not think that its a sin to not to go.

eleveninches
Jesus didnt go to church at all.

eleveninches
Jesus didnt go to church at all.

finti
jesus was a jew

frodo34x
Not going to church isn't a sin.
BTW it's Christians, not Christens

Bardock42
christens sounds less positive though, as if you weren't accepting the religion.

Napalm
Theres nothing wrong with skipping church.

frodo34x
Church is not needed as such, but it is very useful. You don't have to go to church to be a christian, but it helps.

fribble
Christens is better...

mdl2jc
it's not a sin not to go to church, but God said that we must not forget to assemble ourselves or come together to hear His word, to encourage one another, to receive strength. It's like this people get upset when you talk about God and what He requires, but I bet you make sure you attend parties and gatherings, if you can do that for mere men, why can't we do the simple things for the one who holds are very breath in HIS HANDS.

big gay kirk
Thats why I differentiate between Christians and christians....

Bardock42
Can you explain that?

Imperial_Samura
Hmmm. I don't think it is a sin, its not a commandment that can be broken, or one of the seven deadlys. More, in my view, just a way of showing respect, keeping in the sight of God and all that. And Christianity, Catholicism, is a very social orientated type religion, it seems good to ardent followers to get together, in a religious environment.

Bardock42
I don't like the 7 deadly sins it makes me look so sinful

liltiggasmootay
oh no i missed church last sunday......im going to hell! devil laughing

hh?
laughing out loud

Imperial_Samura
The little known 10th level of hell, where people who don't go to Church go? Hehehe.

Somehow though, I don't see why a person would be punished in such a way. Don't go to Church? In with the traitors and murders and the brimstone then.... it would be a bit like sending somebody to the gas chamber for littering. And thats if its a crime at all.

Paola
10th level of hell? blink

I've been there, but didn't make it into 10th level.... stick out tongue

j/k just random posting 'cause I didnt know this forum existed... sleep1

drunk_nazgul
Eh... It's not a sin. But for me it gets me shunned from everyone in town, 'cause there are like 50 churches in this tiny place.

MornGlory
its not a sin...

Darth Surgent
There is no such thing as sin....

sim0921
Thats stupid. If all christians are supposed to go to church every sunday, then im most definetly going to HELL no expression

Bardock42
I think mst christians should go to hell anyway since they are no better than any other person, but I am pretty sure that you don'T have to go to church every Sunday, actually I can't think of a reason stated in the Bible at all.

Imperial_Samura
In this day and age, if one is doomed for not going to Church, then there must be a lot of good people and Christians in Hell.

Bardock42
Those extremist Christians think many good people are in hell anyway.

Imperial_Samura
True, misguided they are. I wonder what would happen to them then if their car broke down and they missed a session of Church... would there be anyway to get back into Gods good books?

Bardock42
Don'T think so.
If god makes their car break down, he didn't want them in Heaven.
That is the only logical conclusion.

Imperial_Samura
Ah, you are correct, but then they might not see it that way, logic is not always a big feature, especially if they believed or said not going to church every Sunday is a sin.

In fact, near every Church in my home town has mid week sessions for people who can't, or don't, go to Sunday ones. In fact the mid week version gets more people.

Bardock42
I mean that would make more sense too, since you should resrt on Sabbat and not go to church.

Imperial_Samura
Exactly. I thought that was kind of the point, after all, that is what God is said to have did, rested. I remember some Australian comedian saying how "God must get really annoyed, the one day he gets of and we have to go annoy him...." etc.

Bardock42
haha
Good point I alwayws wondered why an almighty being needed resat though, after 6 days I mean Humans can go for much longer.

Imperial_Samura
A good question. I shall start a thread about it.

Bardock42
Do it.

big gay kirk
Yup.... Christians (capital C) are those who believe in Christ, follow the rules of the Christian religion, and actually have real, tangible faith in Christianity.... christians (lower case c) were christened as babies, will get married in church, have a church funeral, do Easter and Christmas and put "christian" on forms when asked their religion, without ever really thinking about what the bible says, or going to church except on the big three occasions.... really they're agnostics (lower case a) who have been told that they are christian and never question it...

and in case you ask... agnostic (lower case a): "I don't really know what I believe, but there must be something out there..."
Agnostic (capital A):"It is impossible for man to have any true knowledge of God..."

DuronKiller
there are some religions practicing so, fe. jews.... smile

the bible says "for god, 1 day is like 1000 days to man, and 1000 days for man, are 1 day to god" smile
ok... if he's almighty he doesnt need to rest anyway.... but maybe he wanted to rest?? you like to rest too dont you? stick out tongue

Imperial_Samura
Hahah, yes, I guess even all powerful beings like to put their feet up, grab a bag of chips and watch the football, or whatever it is all powerful beings like to watch.

moviejunkie23
it says in one of the gnostic gospels that jesus said if someone points to the sea and says there is the kingdom of god the fish proceedeth, if they point to the sky and say there is the kingdom of god the birds proceedeth, but i tell you the kingdom of god is all around you and inside of you.

Though this writing is not in the bible you have on your table shelf (there are many new testement writings that were left on the cutting room floor so to speak) I think this is something to think about. It is my own opinion that this could very well be legit. and if that is the case the message i think would indicate is people will tell you you need to go here and there for "the kingdom of god" (hey you need to go to church every sunday!!!!!) but in reality god is everwhere and within you if your a believer.

Thats my ten cents

frodo34x
If not going to church is a sin, Im ****ed. I just missed the 4th/5th sunday in a row

Bardock42
Har har, frodos going to hell, lalalalallaaaa,
Anyway what did you friend say aboot it now Jackie?

Mr_Famous
who said its a sin? i never heard such a thing before.... i dnt always go to church, sometimes i just feel like lying around

DirectorFitz
The temple of God is not between two walls and under a roof...it is in the heart of all who believe in him and his gift to the world. So, a Christian does not need to go to a building every Sunday and kiss a Hoyl relic or give to the church to gain salvation. They need to believe that Christ died for their sins.

DirectorFitz
I go to church because I believe fellowship with other Christians is fun.

Bardock42
^thats a good reason, but well the one true church, belives that church is important .

DirectorFitz
Okay, think of it this way Bardock42...if God told us that we missed one day of Church, that we'd be going to Hell for doing so. In that world, no one would be saved. Fellowship with other Christians is an encouragement, so Christians can be with people like them to feast their minds on the word of God, and for better understanding of it. I go because I enjoy it. I'm not Catholic, that's probably why I think like that. I'm a Baptist.

finti
you think catholic is the opposite of how you see it, from my time in Arkansas the most conservative christians I met were baptists

42Bardock
well I don'T think anyone in this world is truly worth to be saved, so no problem with that.

DirectorFitz
Well you're right in thinking that. Because, in Christian standards, all have fallen short. But, Christ is the bridge.

ushomefree
DirectorFitz

Men fall short of the Glory of God; NOT through Christian standards, but God's standards.

Fire
Noone will come to save us anyway

finti
standards set by the vatican so it is indeed a christian standard

debbiejo
God never said to go to church on Sunday. The Catholic church did. Read the 10 commandments. Gods day is Saturday, the Sabbath. A rest day which many do go to church, because they always have. The Bible talks about it all through the New Test.

finti
the jews choose the saturday as their sabbath and the 10 commandment s were made by the jews so.........
Sabbath is a hebrew word meaning something like "rest from labour" and it was set to be the 7th day of the week. When the 7th day is depends on what you consider to be the first day of the week.

or forced too

debbiejo
All the disciples kept the Sabbath years after Jesus' death. Even Luke who was a gentile. If you study history you;ll find that even after the Bible was in scripts people were still keeping it until the Catholic church starting persecuting them. Besides according to Paul there is no Jew or gentile, male or female. We are all graphed into ONE tree. The tree that was already there for Gods people. The Jews didn't make the Sabbath. In Geneses when the 7th day is mentioned as the Sabbath, there were no Jews......Also it says the the Sabbath was made for man (not Jew)......

take care
deb

finti
again since you obviously dont understand what I wrote. The jews choose Saturday as THEIR sabbath, regardless of how you twist it Sabbath is still a hebrew word. Most christians have Sunday as THEIR sabbath, muslims have Friday.
To write it in a matter you might understand, Sabbath can be whatever day of the week you want it to be, but the Jews choose Saturday. Acording tot he bible god never said Sabbath had to be on a Saturday it was said that the 7th day was rest day

big gay kirk
The official Jewish Sabbath starts at sundown on Friday and continues until sundown obn Saturday.... remember that the Jewish day begins in darkness, just as the world did... the Christian "sabbath" of Sunday came about as part of the drive to unite the Christian factions of the Roman empire with the worshippers of Sol Invictus, the Sun God... under Constantine the Great, these were the two most powerful factions, and Constantine wanted them both on his side.... also there was a lot of anti semitic feeling on both sides, and Christians were ordered not to "Judaize," or appear Jewish. This ended the ritual of circumcision for Christians (to which the Greek Christians had objected for a long time ) ended the distinction between clean and unclean meats and led to the Christian Holy Day being coincident with the holy day of the Sun.... so the moving of the day of rest to Sunday was both a political and an anti-Jewish measure...

debbiejo
True! The Jews didn't CHOSE the Sabbath. God did. It was changed by The Holy See, Catholic church around 324 ad.

debbiejo
Study disposationiaism. This view seperating the Jews and gentiles is pretty new and started around the 1850's with Darby and Scolfield.
The view has always been we have all been grafted into the originial tree.
deb

finti
the jews chose what day the sabbath was on, and I dont believe in any god so yes they chose and invented the entire sabbath thingie

DuronKiller
your personal thoughts on it, your opinion, doesnt give any help to the question of this thread and is not based on biblical backgrounds (whats it supposed to be in this thread... see "christens" in its title...)

so you cant say they chose what day the sabbath was on, because that god invented the sabbath and the jews kept it always on the 7th day is neither proven right or wrong... according to the belief of jews and christians... god invented the sabbath and set it on the day we know today as saturday.

finti
strange thing that the christiansns strayed away from the rest day god set then

the sabbath to be on the 7th day is in fact biblical background

and since it aint proven right or wrong I can say they chose what day sabbath was on cause I believe the Jews chose what we know today as Saturday as their day of Sabbath.

DuronKiller
but that doesnt change a thing with the biblical fact that god set the day on the sabbath

yes, but it aint biblical background that the jews invented the sabbath... that was what i meant..

as i can say god set the day on sabbath and saturday equals sabbath...

finti
.......i say sabbath was the day set to be the day it was

Beastro
I love when people speak of something they know nothing about.I was attending a church service the other day of about 1,000 people.Anyways there was such a movie of God in the place that the pastor who is really sensative to the Holy Spirit didnt feel it was appropriate to take an offering so he didnt.He's not a greedy moneymake.He could have easily made thousands that night but he didnt.

Beastro
Not going to church isnt really a sin.Like backfire said you can easily pray to God anywhere you are,but you go to show reverence to God and besides most christians like going to church.

Beastro
Im trying to test my pictures hold on.

finti
movie? who played the part of god

Storm
As far as I know, attending mass is an obligation in the Roman catholicism religion.
The catholic catechism would state "Participation in the communal celebration of the sunday eucharist is a testimony of belonging and of being faithful to christ and to his church. The faithful give witness by this to their communion in faith and charity. Together they testify to god' s holiness and their hope of salvation. They strengthen one another under the guidance of the holy spirit."

Bardock42
you saw the word sometimes in his post right?

Beastro
?

clickclick
mad Its wrong.

debbiejo
Following the rules of any denomination doesn't nessesarly make it correct. It's following what the Bible says only.

If you believe in the 10 commandments, then why do most people only follow 9 of them. They don't keep the 4th.. To honor the Sabbath Day?

finti
follow 9 now thats a newsflash, they hardly follow any

debbiejo
Maybe this will be Gods measuring stick.(or mark?)

finti
guess god is in for a surprise then

debbiejo
I think He already knows.

finti
then your god has submitted to the loss

debbiejo
The good guy always wins Happy Dance

finti
who said god was the good guy

debbiejo
Shame on you!

finti
why?

debbiejo
If you really studied it out from cover to cover, you'd know stick out tongue

finti
well the bible is just another book so................and god aint a good guy in all of the stories in it. He even sacrifice his own son, what a swell dude

debbiejo
Well if you view it as just another book, then that's another story altogether. What do you base your views on??? Or arnt you sure yet?

finti
my views are I dont believe ther is a god, and it is based on nothing that I have seen or experienced applies to an existence of a god

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.