Should you marry someone of a different relion then you?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jackie Malfoy
I think it is ok but when it comes to tellling your kids about relion which one are you going to teach.,Yours or your husband/wife?
I mean if one parent was jewish and the other was christen what are you going to tell your kid when he wants to decide on what relion he is going to follow?
Anyone have any thoughts or suggustions on this?And yes I am on a roll!JM

naybean
I dont see any problem with marrying someone of a different religion as long as they dont try to convert me. You teach your children both religions, they can choose for themselves. Then you have to respect your childs choice. The only issue is where to hold the wedding!

BackFire
If you love them, yes.

Samurai Guy
Should you marry somebody of a different race? Ethnic backround?

It should not matter.

yerssot
if religion is a problem to you, don't come outside the house then ...
and under normal circumstances, you love the person you marry, if you can't bring up to look past that... stay in your house even longer

WindDancer
I don't see a problem. You marry a person because you love them. Not because your religion tells you. My brother in law is Orthodox Greek Christian and my sister is Catholic and they got married. No one had a problem not even the priests.

Silver Stardust
Religion shouldn't matter if you love the person enough to want to marry them.

naybean
it shouldnt but it does- there are a lot of parents out there who would disown their children if they married someone from a diff religion. my bf's parents wud disown him if they knew i wasnt jewish.

Syren
OK, everyone's pretty much stuck to the idea that if you love somebody then their religion shouldn't be a factor. But I noticed the part in Jackie's post where she asked what religion do you teach any children you may have. As far as I am concerned, said children should be taught enough information on most religions to be able to make up their own mind. I'm ever grateful that my parents didn't shove religion down my throat as a child, I am an atheist now and I made that choice myself. But I also opted to take Religious Education in school so I would be well informed about worldly religion and culture. Not because I believe in any certain faith, but because it interested me, and I had that choice.

BackFire
I agree with Sy, educate the child and then let them decide for themselves.

Syren
*hooks arm through yours*

I think we're done here.......

laughing out loud

finti
no, not I

nothing wrong in other people doing it though

shaber
Religious differences should be of no more significance than variations in masturbatory techniques naughty

finti
yeah and when you get cream in your pipes you can give it a try

Barakus
It doesn't actually matter IMHO, because each person is an individual and has their own religious beliefs. Religion is a set of rules that people follow because they believe it will lead to happiness, if your partner is of another faith it should have no noticeable effect on your personal relationship, if both of you are satisfied with what you each believe in then there really shouldn't be problems in the aforementioned relationship.

Anyway, rules are there to be broken right? Flexibility is a human virtue wink

carnival_junkie
1. I dont think it really matters if you marry someone outside of your religion... just as long as you two can get along.

2. I'm going to tell my children that they can decide for themselves what they want to believe. I was told that, and I wish to do the same for my children.

finti
well not everyone have a religion.........

Delicious1
Ok, should you? No.
Can you? yes.

And here is why i think that. My mother has a female friend, who was 16 when she got married to a Pentecostal (sp?) preacher (who was 29). So she had to wear dresses and never cut her hair, do what he says, not where make up, etc. Now, obviously she wasn't pentecostal when they met but "she loved him". Now, 3 years later, the have one daughter, another on the way, she cheated on him, left him, cut her hair and has become a ****. And her excuse? I don't like wearing dresses all the time.

Syren
cry

That's ma kid bruv yes He's almost a whole ft taller than me but he's still the little fella whose nappies I once changed stick out tongue

Fire
it doesn't matter
marry someone you love their religion should not matter, your kids will find out in time which religion(s) feel(s) right for them.

Pyrofly
why not? as long as you love the person

Syren
Give that man an award big grin

Bingo hun yes

carnival_junkie
no shi.t...
roll eyes (sarcastic)

Storm
Before kids start to ask questions about faith and religion, an interfaith couple should make sure that they' ve provided their children with positive religious experiences in both of their faiths. Listen to their children, share their concerns, stereotypes, doubts, possible prejudices and questions. As adults, their children will choose their own religious identity and path. It is best for both to be role models of their own faiths and to help their kids discover their own faith journey and not to insist or demand their participation in either of their faiths or beliefs or non-beliefs.

So yes to your question. Every marriage will have some stumbling blocks, but interfaith marriages just have a few extra challenges.

Interracial couples have a unique ability to share with others, one by one, the lessons they have learned regarding race relations. First and foremost, their mere presence is an indication that understanding between the races is not an unattainable goal. But beyond the obvious, interracial couples are often presented with opportunities to educate the ignorant or misguided. They can reach outside of the boundaries of their own race with fresh attitudes and insight into the race of their significant other and use that knowledge to help others to stray beyond their own comfort zones into understanding.

Though the role of partner in an interracial relationship isn't always easy/far from easy and they often find themselves on the defense.

amity75
It depends if the sex is good.

forumcrew
considering religion is a means to control people, used by giving people something to believe in sure its ok.

Linkalicious
personally i don't think you should raise your child into any particular religion.

You can have yours, and your wife can have hers....let the kid grow up and decide for themselves what religion they want to be in. That's how it should be done anyways.

I bet 95% of Christians are only Christian because they were raised that way by their parents...

lil bitchiness
Marrying into some other religion creates problems. Many many problems. Maybe not for you tow but it will certanly create some when/if the children are born, as each side will want the child to be of their religion.

silver_tears
I have nothing at all against marrying someone of another religion, or someone with no religion, but if/and when I get married, I would prefer that we share the same religion. This would just simplify things I think, like religious holidays and such.

But like mentioned if you love and respect one another it should not matter either way.

PandoraMomo
Dude, of course it shouldn't matter! I actually think it would be a good idea if people married outside thier own religion. It would broaden each others ideas, and the resulting offspring would have two different backgrouds to help them decide for themselves.

But really, it doesn't matter...

pr1983
iam marrying someone (hopefully) who is buddhist, im catholic, and to be honest religion is the last thing on my mind

Shadow_King
i dont think it really matters. but then what if you couple told you to convert would eh???

pr1983
u askin me sk?

Shadow_King
no i am just asking anyone. you could answer if you want.

pr1983
shes very religious, i am not, even though i believe nether of us would convert. it doesnt matter to either of us that were different, religion doesnt come into it cos we love each other.

ragesRemorse
If your religoun and beliefs are are major factor in your life. You really shouldnt marry someone who's beliefs and religoun contrdicts your's. these are two totally different perspectives on life trying to co exist with each other. It is like a nazi marrying a jew.

PandoraMomo
I dunno. this guy i used to see and i had completely different views of religion. He ws a diehard roman catholic and i have no religious belief. We ahd many talks about it, but it never caused any problems betwwen us, maybe a heated debate, but neither of us ended up pissed at each other. I respected his religious, and all tho he definately did not agree with how i believed in no god and such, we had a semi-functional relationship.

§pearhead
not true. while my parents are of different religions, they've never created any pressure for me as to what I should choose. Granted, I was baptized (as a protestant, for those who care) when I was young, and I know if I wanted to convert, they wouldn't try to stop me erm

maybe that's just them...still, speaking personally, it wasn't a big deal

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.