EU books for beginners

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth_droid
Me again, so Ive only seen the movies, what books can i read to start knowing the EU better?

Morridini
That depends on what u want to read.
Do u want to read something prior to the OT?
Or something in between the OT?
Or something after teh OT?

I haven't read any books before the OT so there u would have to hear with someone else, perhaps JP.

If u are looking for some books in between the OT I would suggest Shadow of the Empire (even though I havent read it), or perhaps some of the Bounty Hunter books. Tales from Jabba's Palaca is also worth checking out.

As for books after the OT I would suggest u start to read the Heir to the Empire trilogy written by Timothy Zahn. Then perhaps continue with the Jedi Academy trilogy by Kevin J. Anderson. After that u should read the sequel to the Heir to the Empire trilogy, The Hand of Thrwan duology, also by Timothy Zahn. Then u should go on to the New Jedi Order books.
This is just what I thinkis the right way to read them, do anyone disagree?

There are of course some other books which does take place both in between the OT and after the OT, such as the X-wing series. I haven't read them, yet, but I've heard they are supposed to be good.

So did this help?

Darth_droid
shitty site, I call this
Im not allowed to post links

Morridini
That's just because u are a Junior Member, post enough posts to become a Member and u can post links.

In the mean time post links like this: h**p://www.darkthrone.com/recruit.dt?uid=V23415F23505Y23415M23475

yerssot
yeah, it all depends to what you wanna read exactly... EU is big...and crap

JediHDM
crap?! i would hardly call it crap...since LucasArts tell people what to write...if it is crap it is because of LucasArts...and then Georgie goes and changes stuff...lame.

yerssot
LucasArts? thought it was LucasBooks or something? messed

ah come on JediHDM... the emperor came back three times, we had umptheen weapons that could destroy planets etc.... there is a big lack of imagination of the writers

Morridini
Well, the Emperor's returns I belive is only in the comic books. But nothing like that has ever happened in any of the books I've read.

rogue21579
I have read all of the adult novel in the Star Wars series (except Hard Contact and Med Star 2) and I make the following suggestions. If you want to start with the prequel era then start with Cloak of Deception. Then follow the timelines all the way through Ep III. Look in books for the timelines. Just look at the front of the books at the book store. This era will take you through the prequel movies and the Clone Wars.

However... if you want to start with the original trilogy. Truce at Bakura takes place three days after Return of the Jedi.

There are also stories that take place during the Classic Trilogy as well. Any new non-Clone Wars novel will have the timeline.

You could also start with the New Jedi Order.. but there may be a lot of characters you would be unfamiliar with...

hope this helps!!

yerssot
read some more then

Morridini
Which ones then?

yerssot
those you haven't read stick out tongue

rogue21579
The only times that the Emperor is resurrected are in the Dark Empire Trilogy by Dark Horse comics. They are Dark Empire, Dark Empire II and Empire's End. They are not mentioned in any of the mass-market paperbacks in the Star Wars novels except when referring to the Dark Empire events.

Jedi Priestess
Actually.....take it from a canon girl the only ones worth the read in MY opinion (yes I know not everyone agrees) are:

Shadows of the Empire
the Heir to the Empire trilogy
and the ones that are about the movies themselves.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.