Why do people think Marilyn Manson music is gothic?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Fearnix
Why do people think Marilyn Manson music is gothic?
dont get me wrong i like some of his music, Narcissus Narcosis was a kick ass song.But back to the point i am geting really pissed off with people saying they lisen to gothic music when in fact theay are lisening to rock crap and other shit.
(i have really bad gramma and spelling sorry)

BackFire
Because alot of little teeny bopper flavor of the week goths like his crappy redundant shock value music.

I don't think his music is gothic, just shitty.

Df02
because most of the people that listen to Marilyn manson havent finished primary education yet

Fearnix
thumb up very true

TrAnCeDuO
i think its gothic...my ex girlfriend loves him...epecially all the little lies he tell her about how "cool" it is to be goth

Df02
the lucky word being 'ex' in that sentence

Fearnix
Its not gothic, the spice girls were more gothic than manson

Fearnix
laughing out loud

TrAnCeDuO
i remember her taking me to her locker and showing me a picture of him with a quote at the bottom saying something along the lines of "people dont like us because people dont like what they dont understand"

laughing out loud

BackFire
That's a bunch of shit, people don't like him because he's an untalented shit face.

Stupid gothic people always use that excuse - "You just don't understand me, you don't like what you don't understand blah blah blah I'm an idiot".

Yeah, i guess I don't unerstand the apeal of trying to look sad and dead all the time, wearing pounds of white makeup, bordering on clown makeup, and thinking you're unique despite the fact that millions of other people dress the same way as you.

No, I don't like you because you're an eliteist and trendy.

Cinemaddiction
"Goth" music has been dead for YEARS, as has the culture.

lil bitchiness
I like Manson. I like his lyrics and his music. Hes one of those artist people listen to appear cool.

Same as AFI.

StinkFist462
i like manson a lot .. im wearing a shirt that says marilyn manson on it .. im listning to his BEst Of CD right now and looking at the two manson tickets sitting on my desk right now ...
so yea .. i like manson way before everyone started calling him goth rock or whatever

Arachnoidfreak
Manson is about as goth as Hot Topic is. You know, the "Gap" store for pop goth kids.

God, I ****ing hate those wannabe douches. They're worse than the real goths, who need to stop threatening with suicide and just do it already, so we can all move on.

AFI only became "cool" when they made it onto mtv....they have definetly changed, they were a good band before they got on mtv..but mtv and mtv fans just do that to a group, bring down their music and reputation.

PRK
i dont listen to music because its 'cool' i listen because i like it and i like AFI

As for Marilyn Manson, i love his music yes i dontlisten to it because its dark i listen to it because hes a very talented artist happy

but by no means is it gothic

if you want gothic listen to switchblade symphony or sisters of mercy

Manson is no where close to them as far as 'gothic' goes

Silver Stardust
Manson isn't gothic...

And d'you want to know where he got his inspiration for his makeup and everything? Japanese rock groups like Malice Mizer and singers like Mana and Gackt.

Paola
They think Manson is gothic because of how he looks.

They look at Manson, then at goths then back at Manson and say: "It's gothic!" eek!

WindDancer
I used to listen to his music till I got tired of him. As for him being a goth. I really don't care if he was or is or whatever.

LordMortis
i think its just the image he conveys. to most ppl, since he's wearing make up and black, he's gothic. his music, altho good to me, is quite far from gothic. just because u wear black don't mean ur gothic (i wear black and often get called a goth by reject charves who dont have a clue lol)

MildPossession
Urgh Charvas sad Now that's scary.

I like Mansons music, have done ever since their first album. Not bothered if people think he is goth or not, I just like the music.

He has some gothic imagery in his videos, but apart from that his music isn't goth.

I think he got his image inspiration from David Bowie and glam rock more than those Japanese bands.

Tptmanno1
Mansons music is not gothis, But I only listen to it for the band, i couln't give a crap about him singing....

But ya know whats funny "Goths" with all their balack clothes and peircings and hot topic shit. (But I do like Hot topic's band shirts, found a nice metallica one there as well as a pink floyd one..)
then they go and listen to Linken Park and Good Charlette and where retarted buttons that say that. its halarious. It like "Your the opposite of goth! Your a Teenie bopper!!"

Silver Stardust
Only things I ever buy at Hot Topic are Invader ZIM patches for my backpack...laughing out loud

Ronny
i buy posters there and i bought a shirt once didnt have much on it just a picture of gollum i think

well its lloooong gone sad

Darth Revan
I have never been inside Hot Topic in my life happy

We don't have one here no expression

Well, back on topic. John 5, Marilyn Manson's old guitarist, is very, very good... There was an article about him in Guitar Player magazine a few months ago. Apparently he likes to play country music no expression

You can listen to a song off his upcoming album here:

http://www.tascam.com/MP3/Needles,CA.mp3

Darth Revan
Does no one find this impressive no expression

Deathblow
the Manson voxed songs Redeemer and Sleepy Hollow were both pretty...um 'gothic', but they were both written and composed by Jonathan Davis so they don't really count.

Ronny
i dont have sound cry

but if you say soooo

Darth Revan
Oh. Well he can play really really really fast. It's cool. And I was wrong about the album not being out yet, my dad gave me an old version of Guitar Player erm

Ronny
ahhhhh whats the album name

Darth Revan
Vertigo. You should download it though, I've heard people say that the last few tracks on it are crappy...

Ronny
i probably will end up downloading it anyway laughing out loud

CherryPie
isn't he metal? Oh well I love his music And alot of other stuff roll eyes (sarcastic)

Fearnix
his music is not metal either

Darth Revan
It's kinda like... industrial lite. I still like it though.

AnimeOwns
Where im at people judge you for the music you listen too.....Im considored gothic and im nowhere close just a hardcore fan! smile

Alpha Centauri
"Why do people think Marilyn Manson music is gothic?"

Coz people are idiots with lack of perception.

-AC

MornGlory
isnt Marylin Manson - Metro Sexual

asjdfhakjfkads evil face

eggmayo
errmm... john 5, i have heard two more of his songs, sugarfoot rag and zugg island convict.

zugg island convict is much better than ^ that one, its a lot faster too.

wicker_man
I like his songs, although around here in my fair old town if you wear so much as a Linkin Park hoody you are percieved as a goth and all the stereotypical traits that come with being one. I suppose the goth market he has amassed has lead a number of 'spectators' to deem him a goth, i personally try to get past this because image and music don't really mix often its a hide for the singer at hands lack of talent, but i believe Manson is a very talented man both in music and his general perception of life.

Alpha Centauri
The common thing is "I like his music, not him."

I am the opposite. I like him, not his music.

-AC

AcrypT
Marilyn Manson is not a goth, he's a goth role-moddel, he's selling his image to millions of 12-16 year old girls who wanna feel special.
I like his music to a point, I can hear his songs and enjoy them in short doses.
Saying that he has no talent is rubbish, just because you don't like the way someone looks doesn't mean his music is awful and if you don't like his music then that is your opinion and what you think means little in a world with over six-billion people in it.
Kids who are wannabee Goths try to prefect their image by listening to Marilyn as well so you can blame it on hypocrites that Marilyn is called a goth.

wicker_man
I agree with a large majority of that statement apart from the '12-16 year old girls' part. Around here and indeed up and down the British isles you'll find just as many older females and indeed males listing to Manson and trying to project his image onto them, the number of females in your aforementioned target i see are more likely trying to look like Christina Aguellria or Avril Lavinge or more urban-esque, although i will say he comes across to me as an anti-hero standing up for the freaks, geeks and misfits so to speak, so in that sense he can strike a chord with mostly anyone who falls into that category even by their own accord or other peoples perseverance that doesn't necessarily mean they are all goths.

AcrypT
Well the 12-16 year old comment was to make a point but it's also almost true over here (Israel), I don't know about the rest of the world.
The reason I said 12-16 year old girls is because a great majority of people who give him a bad name fit that description more or less. A great deal of the other people who listen to Marilyn are not Goths and don't want to be Goths, they like Marilyn's music for their own persinol reasons.

eggmayo
yeah, i agree with that completely.
in bwling for columbine, when marilyn manson was being demonized by polititions, and michael moore asked him what he would say to the kids of columbine, he said 'i wouldnt say a word, i would listen to what they had to say'
behind all the bible destorying weirdo, there is a clever and thoughtful man.

wicker_man
One thing about that film that made me laugh, was one of 'Manson's Prosecuters' so to speak said its just as easy to buy a 'Manson' record as it is to buy a gun, i mean i could buy a Busted CD (UK residents will know what i mean) or an Avril Lavinge CD and still buy a gun and use it the fact of the matter that it proves nothing.

Korri
I suppose its easy to label people. I like Metallica and people automatically assume i like Slipknot which i do not.

wicker_man
I've been labelled a gothic/satanist for listing to the likes of Green Day and Linkin Park etc its usually peoples ignorance that annoys me, well doesn't annoy me so to speak more pities them.

tabby999
yeah at school we were listening to Nofx and some 15 year old wank told us to "turn that goth shit off".......
i like Mansons music, its good, but there are many things i dont like about goths.
the real problem is when you see them doing things not because thats what they necissarily want to do, but because they think it will make them look more "weird and gothic" and because they think it makes them more 'hardcore." makes me want to punch them in the head. but the one thing i like about goths is arguing with them, they're so easy to simply cut in half argumentatively.

wicker_man
I've been in exactly the same situation, the ignorance of some people.

Filth
People think its gothic because it is, i did not think is was that hard to work out the answer, without making a post!!!

Darth Revan
You are not very bright, are you? no expression

"Metrosexual" is when a straight guy dresses like a gay guy to attract women. Marilyn Manson hardly does anything to attract women.

eggmayo> I know some of his music is better than the one I posted, but that's the only one I could find on the internet.

I like both Manson and his music. I've always identified with him, somehow...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.