Chronicles of Riddick DVD [merged]

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

cal31
Post everything about the Chronicles of Riddick DVD here.

I for one thought that the movie was good, not great, but good, but you could tell something was missing. The editing job on the movie was horrible, but atleast on the dvd there will be about 14 mins. of extra footage, so hopefully that will fill in some of the blanks that were in the movie.

MildPossession
I missed it at the cinema so will buy the uncut dvd when released next month.

Pitch Black is in my favourites so will be interesting to see what happened to them later on.

Chimaera
I know a lot of people didn't like the movie, but I did and so I'm really looking forward to getting the DVD (bonus that it comes out right before my birtday-as if I needed an excusewink).
The special features should be cool, though I haven't heard too much about them.

cal31
Yeah, I guess I shouldn't have been surprised to see how bad it did, seeing as how bad Sci fi films do these days, I mean look at how Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow did and that was a huge movie. Add to that the bad rap Vin Diesel has, and it doesn't look good in terms of box office . Nonetheless, it was a good sci fi flick.

<<Solo>>
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0002VEUV2.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
DVD Release Date: November 16, 2004
Run Time: 120
DVD Features:
Available Audio Tracks: English (Dolby Digital 5.1)
Director's cut contains 10 extra minutes
"Riddick's World" including 360 degree view of eight locations
Virtual Guide
Facts on Demand viewing mode
Play the first level of the Xbox game

Cinemaddiction
"Sky Captain" was far from huge, budget or otherwise. It had a very limited appeal going into theatres, and more than likely should have stuck to the arthouse circuit.

That said, I am a huge fan of the Riddick franchise, and David Twohy said that despite the box office numbers, the franchise will indeed continue. This DVD can't come soon enough. I hadn't been this giddy about epic Sci Fi since the original Matrix.

eggmayo
chronicles of riddick is a great film.i think they shouldnt have put judi dnch in it, and stuck to noname actros and actresses.
yes, i realise vin diesel is not a nonamer, but when pitch black came out, he was.

<<Solo>>
How do you figure he was a noname actor before Pitch Black? He was in Saving Private Ryan and The Iron Giant before he was ever in Pitch Black.

Cinemaddiction
..and "Boiler Room", with Bennifer and Giovanni Ribisi.

cal31
yes he was in some films before Pitch Black, but he wasn't a that known of actor. Not untill Fast and the Furious came out did he become a big name actor.

Cinemaddiction
..and still people judge him by the Hollywood bullshit he's released. I've always been a fan of Vin Diesel, and for those of you that have never even SEEN "Boiler Roon", "Knockaround Guys", "Pitch Black", and "A Man Apart", I do suggest doing so. Then maybe you'll see why I feel the way I do.

<<Solo>>
A Man Apart was worth seeing along with Pitch black and the Boiler Room, but Knockaround Guys on the other hand....it was ok.

cal31
I thought A Man Apart was a really good film and I hate it that it got such bad reviews just because the critics have something against Vin Diesel. Boiler Room also was a good film.

Aleera1138
I do not like the idea that Vin Diesel gets such a bad rap from critics as well. I am a HUGE fan of Vin Diesel and love every movie I have seen...From Pitch Black/Chronicles of Riddick to xXx. big grin

cal31
just got the DVD and I think the movie flows much better in the Unrated version. Especially on Creamatoria, the extra footage added a lot, with the rage scene added now that was in the trailer, and some extra scenes added to the fight with the Necromongers. Man, I hope they make a sequel, with the ending it has it just leaves you wanting more.

Reborn Again
I don't think it made its money back. It's estimated cost was 110 million and it made 57 million in a 3 mnt period which is usually the life exceptency of a movie in theatres. But I enjoyed Pitch Black, so I'll probably enjoy the CofR too.

Cinemaddiction
Worldwide, "Riddick" pulled in $112 Million, and had a production cost of $105. Twohy said a sequel was forthcoming regardless, and this being a trilogy and all, that's good news for us Riddick fans.

cal31
yeah, it made a profit when you consider the world total which is still going, and add on top of that the DVD sales which are going pretty good, there probably will be two more movies, and if not Diesel has already said there is going to be a sequel to the game Escape from Butcher Bay, so that could then continue the story.

SnakeEyes
I liked this movie a lot. But i have no money to buy it right now, so.... I haveto wait at the moment

Reborn Again
$112 million. That all? That's only $7 mil. profit. Dude, we won't see a third installment with these numbers. DVD sales might do maybe $5 mil. But that's all. Besides, both movies stand on their own w/o it being a trilogy. Where did you hear that there was going to be a trilogy? First I've heard 'bout it.

I just saw it. It's a good movie. A little boring at times and predictable, but over all I really good action / sci-fi flick.

SnakeEyes
ummm, did u not see the ending to the second movie!!!
plus, i believe the director said it was going to be a trilogy

Cinemaddiction
"Punisher" broke even, and it still gets a sequel, it happens all of the time. Twohy made it clear this was a trilogy from the get-go, as well as greenlighted a sequel a couple of months back. Big scale Sci Fi doesn't do well in the theatres anymore, unless it's Star Wars.

"Riddick" was left in ultimate cliffhanger fashion, so much so that if there WASN'T a sequel, Twohy would recieve hatemail every day, and a few mail bombs.

You can't leave Riddick in charge of the very army that threatened to kill his people and ravage his homeland.

Scarpa
It was a great flick I bought it on DVD ive got the unrated version

khan
yes this movie comes out on the 3rd of january in the uk i cant wait i havent seen it yet but i love pitch black.i know its out in america already in the directors cut version were only getting the normal version.is the directors cut any good does it have alot of extra footage

Mane
I liked Pitch Black alot more.

<<Solo>>
Oi,http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=311578

tanviper
"According to The Hollywood Reporter, The Chronicles of Riddick, starring Vin Diesel, sold about 1.5 million combined DVD and VHS units to consumers during its first day in release Tuesday, according to industry sources, a whopping number for a film that grossed $57.6 million at the domestic boxoffice. Rental figures for the actioner from Universal Studios Home Entertainment won't be available until next week, but industry sources believe that it is expected to be one of the top 10-best-renting titles for this week."

looks like it will make more the "5 million tops" in DVD sales. This is good news.

WindDancer
sleep1

Garax
Tis a great film, I really enjoyed it.

Cinemaddiction, you OBVIOUSLY know what the best film is, judging by your Signature and Avatar big grin. Damnit I love Equilibrum.

Anyway, I really hope they make a third one, I quite enjoyed a lot of the background stuff, and would quite like to find out exactly who the Necromongers worship etc... Maybe we'll even see a few diety's in the Underverse. It does need to be done, was a hell of a cliffhanger.

Was that woman, Jack/Kiera out of Pitch Black? I seem to remember her, but it might just have been me going crazy.

Anyway, overall, a good flick if you're into Sci-Fi.

Cinemaddiction
Well, then you obviously have good taste, and yes, Alexa Davalos played Kyra, who was "Jack" in the original.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.