Is there such a thing?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

silver_tears
As being too politically correct?

I think our society is on the verge of this yes

BackFire
Political correctness is the bane of this world.

Capt_Fantastic
YES! There is absolutely such a thing as being too politically correct. It's a fine line to walk in my world. Being a gay man, you feel an obligation ot be politically correct. But, being a human being...I rarely listen to that impulse. Say what you have to say. To hell with anyone else. They'll get over it.

Zanthor
Just don't run for any public office. They will remember... They always remember! devil

Political correctness can cause more problems then it solves. Sexual harasment is a good example. We just had classes at work that told us what we could and couldn't say. Basically we can't talk at work anymore. I understand what they are trying to do. It has done nothing but upset people rather then keep people happy which was the point.

I had a computer program, years ago, called Politically Correct Bedtime Stories. There is a book out there with the same name....

Here's a snippet from "Little Red Riding Hood": reading

The wolf said, "You know, my dear, it isn't safe for a little girl to walk through these woods alone."

Red Riding Hood said, "I find your sexist remark offensive in the extreme, but I will ignore it because of your traditional status as an outcast from society, the stress of which has caused you to develop your own, entirely valid, worldview. Now, if you'll excuse me, I must be on my way."

laughing

WindDancer
Personally I don't think so. No one can be correct all the time. Much less be correct about politics which is something that is always in constant changing.

Kosta
I dont think thazts what se meant Wind Dancer.

Turbo-Cajun
Political correctness is when people who have generally been excluded from voicing their opinions are demanding change. To refuse to change you are simply maintaining the status quo in a society that is notorious for historically discriminating against people of other groups and holding certain expectations for people solely based upon things such as religion, race, gender, and sexuality.

The argument that we are too politically correct has been used repeatedly by racists, misogynists, and the elite who wish to keep things they way they are. To preserve the white power structure and male superiority... they dont want to give these groups what they want: equal recognition.

Mane
as in saying "homosexuals" instead of "queers"?

Walfredo
as in saying "horizontally challenged" instead of "orca fat"?

Mane
or "mentally challenged" instead of "dumbass"

Samurai Guy
Yes there is. We will lose our sense of humour.

Turbo-Cajun
I think most people who say that there is too much political correctness mean you should call them "queers" not "them damn queers"... they arent impolite people after all you know.
giljotiini

Capt_Fantastic
I am so offended right now

wink

Turbo-Cajun
Its true!

Being to politically correct is a typical arguement used by the right wing to paint the left wing as softies or weak... it generally attacks those willing to evolve socially to be more accepting of others.

I agree sometimes it does get wierd, but thats just cause we are raised in certain mind set. Just because we were raised that way doesnt make it right. We do need to be sensitive to others... and if they want to be called "indigenous people" instead of "indians" or if they want to be called "chair person" rather than "chairman" I think they should be accomodated.

Capt. you understand where I'm coming from right?

silver_tears
Human kind is known as man-kind, personally I really don't give a crap about it being man-kind, the simple changing of the word won't accomplish anything. It doesn't do anything if we change it to something like person-kind roll eyes (sarcastic)

Or another example is here in Toronto, this mall near my house each year has a Santa Clause in the square, and as long as I can remember children have been going down to see Santa, and sit on his lap, you know the routine, well recently, a few months ago, someone complained about it being racist and prejudiced, seeing as Santa Clause, and the whole Christmas set up of the mall is aimed toward people who celebrate Christmas. The reasoning behind it was that religion shouldn't be crammed down their throats in the mall. Therefore this year there will be no Santa. I feel sorry for the kids.

Now my opinion is these people can go screw themselves. Stop bitching and moaning and get on with your life, leave the rest of us alone yes

dave123
like... wow... that sucks

silver_tears
I know miffed
I was so pissed, Christmas used to be my favourite holiday erm and I bet really soon, christmas carols and such will be banned since alot of them focus around Christ roll eyes (sarcastic)

dave123
cry I'm 16 and everything, but it's just not christmas with all the stuff I used to love as a child.... not that I still visit santa or anything ninja

silver_tears
I do embarrasment
Me and my friends visit him every year and have our picture taken with him embarrasment
It's tradition, and we where the red hats to class and etc.

I'm very pissed about this mad

dave123
santa I'll make a suitable replacement

silver_tears
Find some reindeer and you're hired yes

dave123
real ones, or plastic ones? or cats with horns on their heads? stick out tongue

silver_tears
Real ones or nothing sneaky2

dave123
http://members.aol.com/sherrycla/catdeer.jpg not even something that cute? cry

silver_tears
No schmoll

dave123
well i'll just go get some reindeer by christmas, and my lap is all yours sweetie happy

Baylin
laughing out loud Dave I hope those antlers were nailed on....

silver_tears
no expression How horrible

dave123
see, it's not dead stick out tongue so no stick out tongue

BackFire
It's stupid when Christmas vacation is reffered to as "Winter Break". As if any doesn't think that we have that vacation because of Christmas.

Baylin
No but it does look awfully pi**ed off none the less!

silver_tears
Exactly yes

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.