Zues, and the other Olympian Gods

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Cosmic_Beings
I think that Marvel should make a monthly comic about the lives of all of the Olympian gods, including Zeus, who is the bomb.

Come on, you never get to see him! X-Men and Spider-man each have a group of series going for them, but where is the Olympian love?

We need more Zeus!

Krissy Von Doom
They'd get some coverage if Hercules had a comic. Like Thor does. rolling on floor laughing

ScarletSpider
Thor doesn't even have a comic anymore.

The thing about the Olympians is that they don't like to meddle in human affairs, sans Herc who was human for awhile so he likes to come down to earth and check stuff out every once in awhile.

The reason Thor and the other bits of Norse Mythology worked is that it was relatively unknown. He was almost a new character to many people, and had a gimmic, his kick ass hammer.

Both Marvel and DC have tried a few times to launch other books centered around bits of mythology, the longest running was Venus with 12 issues, however this was in 1948 before Thor showing them that Olympian myths wouldn't work that well, so Stan tried a lesser known one, and it did work.

Cosmic_Beings
Thor still has a monthly comic! What makes you think he doesn't?

Havoc470
i thought son of asgard ended already?

anyway, i agree with scarletspider, norse mythology is less known to the masses than greek mythology imo, mostly because out of the two mythologies i consider the norse wayy better although greek is still amazing

Cosmic_Beings
Either one! I'd love for them to either make a monthly comic of Asgard or Olympia!

And Thor is still a monthly comic, I don't know why people think otherwise. Go on Marvel.com and see for yourself.

ScarletSpider
Thor: Son of Asgard ends with issue 12, so we're just counting down the final minutes.

The regular Thor title ended with #85. Thor ended the cycle of the gods, most everyone in Asgard died, save Beta Ray Bill (who's getting his own mini-series this January!) and Thor decided that with everyone else gone, and him just awesomly powerful, he'd take a nice long cosmic nap.

Since you seem to be a big pro on all these things, what happened to Red Norvell? I think he last appeared in the last Journey Into Mystery series (97 or so, continuing the Thor series numbering after Thor left with the other heroes in the Onslaught event). I have been unable to find it and am just wondering if anyone else knows about him.

Cosmic_Beings
Red Norvell died while fighting the Midgard Serpent, but later Odin ressurected him to fight again. The reason you haven't seen him is because they just aren't using him for whatever reason. Beta Ray Bill is really cool and makes up for him, though.

Havoc470
thor:son of asgard is alright, as for a comic on all of either mythological kingdoms it wouldnt be interesting to me, and i dont think it would be something marvel would do, im happy with the loki and thor comics although they've already ended, its time to call it quits imo

Cosmic_Beings
Thor son of asgard is running for 6 issues, and the first issue came out this month. So it is not a matter of minutes before it is over, more like half a year, which is 1/140 of your entire lifetime.
Can you provide a link to the Beta Ray Bill miniseries?

ScarletSpider
Where do you live? Son of Asgard has been out for awhile and #10 comes out next month.

http://www.herorealm.com/NEWS_IMAGE...rvel/Marvel.htm

Marvel Solicit's for January, Beta Ray Bill should be in the Marvel Heroes section somewhere.

Cosmic_Beings
The link that you have provided seems to be broken.

Wouldn't it rock if they just announce that a new monthly comic is coming out, and it's called 'Zeus'? Can you beat that? No you cannot! They most likely will not do it, because they don't think there is a market for a Zeus comic, but there is! Seeing Zeus in his everyday life, with the otehr Olympian Gods, would be the best!

ScarletSpider
Sorry about that, http://www.herorealm.com/NEWS_IMAGES_HERE/October/Marvel/Marvel.htm

Zeus would be cancelled after...oh, 4 issues.

FeceMan
Poseidon was always my favorite god. Hades is cool, too.

Cosmic_Beings
Man, everyone in Asgard died? I missed it all! How? Hercules didn't die, right?

Go to hell, Zues would last until issue #903580123489124280!

ScarletSpider
Hercules isn't an Asgardian god, so he is not dead. Currently Hercules is mortal and banished to earth.

Cosmic_Beings
I know that, he is the freaking son of Zeus!

Obviously if something drastic as all of the Asgardian gods dying happened, someone else should be there to help them. My question was, HOW DID THEY DIE?

ScarletSpider
READ IT! It's kind of complicated, and you'd be best to experience it for yourself. It's really good, and I wouldn't want to spoil it.

The reason Beta Ray Bill isn't dead is because Thor transported him away, saying his fate did not lie with them, and he needs to tend to his people rather than sacrifice himself needlessly.

Cosmic_Beings
How the hell can I read it? Did Marvel come out with a graphic novel of the last issues of Thor or something?

ScarletSpider
#85 just came out this month. It literally did just end. In a month or so there will probably be a tpb that will reprint all of the issues in the arc (6 per usual)

Krissy Von Doom
I was just saying that a Hercules comic would be the best way to cover the Olympian gods, the way Thor's comic showcased the Asgardians.

ScarletSpider
I'd like a Hercules comic as well. Or at least have him start appearing in something more regularly.

Havoc470
yeah, hercules should be shown in comics more often, he was in the last avengers disassembled, and he had a line or two lol

as for a comic called zeus, what would it show? zeus sitting on his throne, watching people, mingling with the other god's and godess', arguing with hades, then thats the end

imo theres very very few people wanting to see a new comic revolving around olympian gods (at least, one from marvel)...its about as likely as them making a Toad solo comic, which i'm 100% sure that it would never happen

Cosmic_Beings
I just fell into a Zeus obsession for a moment there. But it could start with something happening, and everything would be different, and Zues would be more active and everthing. But anything covering the Olympian gods as a monthly comic would be the best! Hercules would rock as a monthly comic!

SpyCspider
tell Homer to come back and write about it

Beyonder
The problem with the Herc and the Olympians is that they all look like she-males in their attires. They all need a new look if they're going to get anywhere. Hell, I think there was some kind of mishap and Marvel ended up with DC's Olympians and DC ended up with Marvel's.

I mean just look. Marvel's Ares:
http://www.marveldirectory.com/pics/picsa/ares.gif

DC's Ares:
http://www.sufferingsappho.com/wrap/collectibles/dcAres.jpg

Havoc470
i think marvel's ares looks cool, and dc's is just a friggin sauron look-alike lol

Wynndar
yea the marvel Ares is much more interesting...u know herc used to have his own comic? There should be something about the Olympian gods...maybe make a story where Zues loses some of his power or becomes a young mortal type guy and has to overcome hardship to recover Olympus.

Beyonder
Is that sarcasm coming from you Wynndar? Or are you really serious?

Cosmic_Beings
A miniseries about the olympian gods would be good, even...

ScarletSpider
That happened in the 80's, so it doesn't count stick out tongue

Havoc470
well, that would kind of be like the original herc story except its zeus, but if something like that happens the rest of the gods would try to help, and hades would be up to no good lol

Krissy Von Doom
Have a god squad comic with Thor, Herc and that irish god of thunder, or was he russian

SpyCspider
Who's more powerful? Odin or Zeus?

eleveninches
They should have a comic where the gods are cast down from heaven by a higher power, and have to live in mortal bodiesfor a period of time, and some of them take this as an oppertunnity to kill their rivals and bring about a change in the divine heirarchical system.

Havoc470
but then without the olympian gods who would run greece (speaking of course in the mythological world)...i guess the higher powers can come down and run it....but all that would happen is, everyone gets turned mortal, ares takes the chance and kills the rest...i mean he's the only one that could lose mortality and still have good fighting skills, i dont know too much of zeus but i've never heard of him using anything else but lightning bolts, and poseidon wont have much of an advantage either

Wynndar
i was being foreal...i think Zues is interesting...i dont mean he should be a Herc rip off cuz his powers r different than herc...you could make a really cool story with Zues

FeceMan
From a mythological standpoint, Zeus is far more powerful than Odin. Do you know why?

He's immortal. Ba-zing sad.

Havoc470
actually his life's been threatened before, very much like odin's.....i could be wrong but i remember a greek myth dealing with zeus close to losing his kingdom and almost being killed

Krissy Von Doom
Waiting for someone to bring up Odin having the powers of Vili and Ve.

eleveninches
They could keep one intermediate level god in mount olympus/heaven to keep order and defend against demons/outsiders.

Havoc470
yeah, with enough counters it could work, but it kind of reminds me of when you go into a bad guys hideout in videogames, and there just so happens to be nice little platforms that lead right to him, why come down and make the gods mortal only to give them chances to come up, and of course you have to have an end....who are the higher beings and whats their purpose it cant just be "hey, lets mess with these guys"

eleveninches
Also, if one god kills another god, they gain all of the domains of the god that got killed. (like in highlander, or the 'Times of Troubles' in the D&D forgotten realms)

jayson
This is one of the main reasons why i haven't read or bought a comic in 2 years. growing up and reading thor was the main reason i'm studying a PhD in ancient viking mythology. yet it seems that they are alway's killing his, (1)! title off. how about killing off a couple of spidey's book's, or the ****ing x-men? NO OF COURSE NOT! marvel is so profit driven now that they would rather saturate the market with these teenage angst comics than give a chance for any other title to flourish. **** marvel! jack kirby must be spinning in his grave the poor bastard.

Cosmic_Beings
Same with Stan Lee. He tried to sue Marvel for more money, because he is only making one million dollars a year. It was on 60 minutes.

jayson
say it isn't so. though i would love to earn $1 million a year, i figure he's worth more. shitty antics like this is the reason why todd macfarlane et all jumped ship back in the day.

Havoc470
whats with all the hate? all good things come to an end, like the damn morning cartoons i used to love so much, i dont really see anything different from marvel than any other company, sure, todd mcfarlane stopped drawing, but he started making toys and yearly crappy videogames, not to mention he still gets paid for his on-going spawn comic

the business world revolves around profit, dont forget the comics are made by people who get paid for it , everythings been profit-driven

eleveninches
Im not sure, but I think I heard somewhere that they are thinking of doing a new Thor series. Cant be certain, but i think i heard thaty somewhere

FeceMan
Eleven inches is almost a foot.

/spam off

Reborn Again
Modernize the gods and it could work.

Cosmic_Beings
Yes, change the olympian gods and make them hip. Of course, because they haven't been in the comics since the 80's. Make them powerful-looking, diety-looking, god-looking. MAKE THEM LOOK LIKE GODS, FOR GODS SAKE!

shaber
I prefered the Roman versions of that pantheon, they were more forceful and arrogant. How about Jupiter?

jayson
the business world revolves around profit, don't forget the comics are made by people who get paid for it , every things been profit-driven

Unfortunately, I agree, but why does style and class have to be substituted for profit? I'm too young to have been around when Stan lee was writing maybe 5 different titles a month but with the current ethics of these money grabbing profiteers. oh well i can lament the passing of strong story lines and innovative character development but it's going to get me no where. i guess the key is to but pre 86 comics. now i know that there have been some great comics to come out in the last 20 years, but does the world need, no, can the world handle yet another x comic?

jayson
and this is precisely my point. why modernize the gods. have people become that lazy and complacent that they wouldn't even try this book unless it was written by some guy who writes scripts like American pie. I'm not saying your stupid rather most comic collectors i know are intelligent. so why are we being treated as if we're not. i do not see the need for thor to be up-dated for the mtv generation, (of which i'm one)! what thor has being crying out for is a great script and an author who would do it justice. comic stories should evolve over time and not succombe to shitty story arcs that end when a particular artist or author leave.

Havoc470
the world doesn't give a sh!t about another x-comic lol, the x-fans come back to read it and the others go off to live their lives

style and class has always dealt with profits, people sell clothes, posters, rings, necklaces, and especially music, it's all macroeconomics, someone makes a fubu shirt they get paid minimum wage for it, a customer buys it for 30 bucks in a shop, and the rich man ends up with the upperhand, it's been happening for thousands of years....get over it

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.