Favorite Rivalry

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SnakeEyes
tell which one and why

ScarletSpider
I chose the Xavier/Magneto rivalry. Mostly because they're old hat gentlemen about it. I think there's something to be said for that. On Saturday, stop fight each other over philosophical principals. On Tuesday play some chess.

There is something to be said for pure animosity a la Cable and Apoc or Wolvy and Sabretooth. But Xavier and Magneto have such a rich history together, and when written well, they play off each other quite nicely.

Punkyhermy
Batman and Joker.

The Batman and Joker relationship is an intriguing one. They are both polar opposites of each other in every sense of the word except the fact that they are not. In the Killing Joke, Joker tells Batman something along the lines of 'all it takes is one bad day to drive someone insane.' He goes even further by implying that Batman himself is 'insane.' Interesting to note is that Batman does not retaliate. Can it be that deep down agrees with what Joker sees? So Batman and Joker and two very sane people on the werge of insanity, deeply dvelled in this cat and mouse game. (No I do not believe that Joker is literally insane.He is well aware of his doings)This ties in well with the fact that the birth of both of them is caused by one thing; a bad day. This stimulated a response from them that was startkingly similar yet different. The events of that bad day changed them completely. I like the idea that similar events can trigger very different responses from different people. And it Joker and Batman are the embodiment of the idea.

I am also a big fan of the sheer irony of the relationship. Joker is a brightly colored, always smiling man- out to do NO GOOD. Batman is dark, brooding- ALL HE DOES IS GOOD. A total shattereing of the hero villan stereotype.

In HUSH Batman recalls Nightwing telling him that Batman was responsible for the existance of Joker, in the sense that he provides the calamity which the Joker intends to destroy. Though the dark night is disgusted by the idea it is very true. It is fascinating how one's enemy can be the very reason one exists. Batman's inabilility to deal with teh Joker in a way which can permanantly put his hysterics to a halt is the reason why this thing has been going on for ages. If Batman ever will cross the line, it will not only be the death of the joker but of Batman himself. Poor dear batsy, he can't live with him and he can't live without him.

Also what intrgues me is that way they push each others buttons. Joker has hurt Batman in ways the entire rogues gallary of Gotham hasn't been able to accomplish. In Hush Batmanm himself acknoledges the fact, thinking, while his fists sink into the clowns face, 'In the end, I will never be ble to hurt him teh way he has hurt me.' That is the tragedy. The Joker is simply invinsible, in the sense that Batman, no matter what he does won't be able to bring him the pain he deserves. Even death can't do it.Totally creepy....

So there...I LOVE the relationship between Joker and Batman. And for all it's worth, they both also encompass teh ability to laugh togetheron a joke at the end of teh day. (remember the killing joke?)

ScarletSpider
Well that was a surprise.

norrin radd
got to agree with scarlet, magneto and xavier, the gentlemen rivalry

SnakeEyes
yeah that is pretty cool

SnakeEyes
The gentleman style of fighting with magneto and xavier

SnakeEyes
and the savagery of Wolvie and Sabes

Mane
wheres Venom/Carnage? thats what i wouldve picked.

ScarletSpider
Larroca rocks.

SpyCspider
wait..PUnkyhermy chose Batman and Joker???????!!

who would've thunk it... wink

Wynndar
these r all very good rivalries

SnakeEyes
i agree

Punkyhermy
I can't believe no one else voted for Bats and Joker

SpyCspider
that's cuz other people read other comics besides Batman so they have a better understanding of rivalries....and thus, can choose which one they favor more. roll eyes (sarcastic)

not that I'm hating on ya Punky, I think Batman vs. Joker ranks pretty way up there as one of the deepest and most popular rivalries...

SnakeEyes
bump

Elektra_lover
Anyone wanna take as to mine? (Its not up their)

SnakeEyes
so far reed richards and dr. doom is the favorite

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.