Should elections in the USA be obligatory?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

hana_skywalker
In my country it's an obligation to vote after you turn 18. I'm asking this especially to those from the USA, since I'd like to know your opinion. wink Do you think it should be like that there too? How many people do actually vote? More or less than 30%?

Linkalicious
what's the point?

Why make someone who's

a.) not educated about the issues
b.) not concerned with the issues

will just voted based on looks alone. That's basically how Bush is going to with against the Hermun Munster look alike.

Darth Revan
Usually, I think about 50% of eligable voters vote. More this year...

No, I think that's a retarded rule, honestly... I plan on voting when I'm old enough, but forcing somebody to vote for a government official when they don't necessarily like either one of them is stupid.

hana_skywalker
50%? That's quite a lot, thanks for the info. wink

Well, I do believe that every inhabitant of the country (whichever it is) should participate in elections, that's my opinion, but you have your good points guys. It's somehow stupid to make people who have no education or are not interested vote. I agree about that. If we talk about the 1st ones, it's manipulation I think.

You can vote "en blanco" (as we call it here) if you don't like any candidate. It means placing a blank paper inside the envelope.

Darth Revan
Oh, well that's a good thing that you don't have to vote for an actual candidate if you don't want to...

The other thing about being forced to vote is, a lot of people don't vote as a political statement (they are anarchists, or they believe the two candidates are too similar to one another).

finti
well that is democracy, that you have a choice

BackFire
Nah, you shouldn't force people who don't care to vote.

nemo
but if you do they would be interested and care more, you know their country, their future.
if only the educated votes, it will be for politicians with policies benefitting to them but detrimental to the poor. and you get elitism.
it's compulsory to vote in s'pore too. but there's only 4 million ppl here, if peole don't come out and vote, there'll be nothing to count. but there's still elitism.

finti
you should vote out of general interest.
I am of the belief that you ought to vote, but sometimes the choices of canditadets aint to good (like the situation is in this US election)
Here in Norway we have plenty of political parties that makes the choice maybe not better, but at least you have a wider platform to choose from.

Cipher
Voting shouldn't be forced on people anywhere........

People should vote to make their wishes known (and maybe their leaders will listen).

finti
nice thought, fat chance though. Once in office all the promises are long forgotten. Politician has the worst case of short term memories lapses of any professions on earth. We should inquire a study of this strange phenomenon occurring with politicians cool

Cipher
Well, that's why I said maybe.

I think politicians have a strange chemical reaction to money.....

yerssot
a year or two, a teacher of mine mentioned this once...

either you get:
the freedom to vote: you go or not
or you see it as the right to vote: you have to vote and then every person in the country does count

it's up to the government (who gets elected) to chose

Linkalicious
do any of you guys think that if the government forced everyone to vote...that people would actually become more involved with politics when election time turned it's ugly head?

I would think so....but I also think a larger group of people will just vote for the sake of voting...regardless of who's a better candidate.

yerssot
no, they would either vote blanco or flip a coin

hana_skywalker
Well, in Argentina we are forced to vote, and people who aren't interested in politics maybe become a little bit more interested, but JUST during the election time. This happens in most cases, I think. And just like Linkalicious said, a big group vote either blanco or any candidate (believe me, many of them don't even know who they voted! lol).

However, I think it's important that every inhabitant participates in elections. There are people from many different countries in the forum. wink Is it an obligation to vote in yours?

WindDancer
Despite the fact that I don't like Democracy too much. In my view it is important to vote in a democratic nation. Should the government force everyone to vote? Umm...that might be a bit harsh. But I feel that every citizen SHOULD vote. For those of you who live in a Democratic country, how would you feel if your right to vote was taken away? Wouldn't you feel like living in a tyranical nation that doesn't allow the people to voice their opinions? Think about it! Voting may seen like no such a big deal. But then think of those people that live in dictatorships. They don't get to vote, much less express their opinions.

Should America force us to vote? Nah! but then again it is important to vote.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.