Disappearing files?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Silver Stardust
Okay, I've had some bizzare computer problems in the past, but this one is the weirdest so far...

Files are just randomly vanishing out of my folders. No, someone's not just deleting them on me, I have all the files and folders on my account set on private so they can't be accessed from outside of my account, and no one has my password. What's happening is that I opened up a folder, and instead of it having 9 files in it like it usually does, it only has 4. I open one of the files, and then close it. After I closed it, it disappeared from the folder. I refreshed, and two more files were gone. Then, while I just sit there and stare at the screen, the last file just vanishes. But when I right-click the folder and select properties, it still says there's 9 files in there. This just happened in another of my folders, too...I had images saved in here and one by one they're vanishing. In fact, one that I had selected just disappeared, leaving an empty spot in the folder view. I've also checked the recycle bin to see if somehow the files are getting sent there, but it's empty.

Anyone have any idea what could be causing this? I just ran a spyware scan, so I don't think it's that since it's continuing to happen after I removed all the spyware. I don't think it's a virus, either, since I also ran a virus scan and it came up with nothing. Could it be a computer glitch, or some really stubborn spyware or virus that wasn't found?

yerssot
it can't be a spyware problem, that's for sure.

have you ran a virusscan which is up to date?

Silver Stardust
Yep. A couple of times, in fact.

yerssot
have you switched on the invisible files to see if they are still there?

Silver Stardust
...amazing. My files made themselves hidden messed Now if I can figure out how that happened....

BTW, thanks for the help, yerss.

yerssot
Always a pleasure to help out a nice girl wink

btw, there is an option in some programs somewhere to save your files as hidden... check your options

bebop
Hey guys I hope I'm not too late for help. But my problem is similiar to Lana's except that my folder which contained 100+ pics of photos from friends, parties, etc has vanished over nite. I right-click onto properties to see there's only 1 file left. I tried Lana's solution but I don't know how to un-hide the files, in fact I checked the properties to see that it's only on read-only option. I've also tried everything else like checking the bin and searching for the files, but nadda. Does anyone have an explanation for this phenomenon?

Lana
Wow, my old thread laughing

What I did to un-hide the files was go to Tool > Folder Options, then clicked the View tab at the top. There'll be a long list of various things you can check/select; select "Show hidden files and folders".

I never did find out what caused this, btw...no expression

yerssot
lazyness from the pc?

bebop
I've tried that but nothing seems to happen. When I check the properties it mentions only 1 file, so if it was hidden I should've been able to see it already by enabling the 'see hidden files' option.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.