If they can turn back time...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

you-know-who
If wizards have the time turner and they can turn back time why dont they just go back in time, before voldemorts rein and kill him... then they would not have all of the suffering of the families who had lost loved ones to him or his followers. and Harry Potter would just be some normal kid, instead of being orphaned and having to live with the dursleys...

why dont they just go back in time and use the turner???!???

angelsflame265
Messing with time is a very degerous thing. And killing voldermort would effect and change almost everything in the wizarding world

CabaZ
yeah..angelsflame... ur right, messin up with time is a dangerous thing. besides, rule number 1 using a timeturner is not 2 change anything. And killing Voldemort wouldn't change facts a little bit? jaja...
its not just harrys life but everyones in wizardworld, and in muggleworld too. U couldn't tell if its a good choice... a good change without knowin' the consequences.

CaBaZ

"fall from a shotin star!

el-pirate
read the unbroken stories from the november nomination, they're about what would happen if sirius would have stayed the secret keeper, it's really good!

you-know-who
well those are good theories about what would happen with the time turner but i think that Mr. Fudge would make an acception on this one.. this way everyone who was murdered my voldie or his followers would still e allieve... and i agree with what the time turner is used for i just think that it would have been a good idea to do even if a couple people went crazy in the process.. at least voldie would be gone and everything would be back to normal.

think about the longbottoms neville has to deal with his mother and father who were tortured into insanity.. wouldnt you think that he would want him back?? and Barty Crouch would want his wife and son back. To hary his parents... im just saying that if they have the resource why dont they just give people what they want or even just try once.

angelsflame265
Fudge is not going to be the minister in the next book....

but the thing about messing with time is. . .your never certain how the outcome will turn out. Maybe if they kill voldermort, something worse could come out of that (i don't know what). But changing little things in the past is alright, but not huge things like that. So much could go wrong while they are trying to kill him also

missbloom19
NO WAY!! The books would end way too soon!

el-pirate
but how would they be albed to kill voldy in the past? maybe they could kill him when he was still tom riddle and not so powerful, but then they would say it was unfair, cause he had never done anything wrong(i mean, before the secret chamber then)

you-know-who
yes thats true... but if they kill him then there will have been no voldemort and everything would be as if he never existed. And about changing just little things... well when harry and Hermione went back in time to save sirius and buckbeak... would you say that that was a little change??? i wouldnt thats a huge change!! from going to sirius getting kissed and buckbeak dying to both of them being set free... i mean think about it it would be a good idea and i think that the new minister should consider it..

impatientinky
it wouldn't be possible. hermione turned the time turner four times to go back 4 hours . tom riddle was ages ago sad. and i also agree, even tho it would make loads of poeple a lot happier messing around with time isn't wise. some things are meant to happen

MornGlory
I don't get this topic... I'm old and moldy

you-know-who
ok i agree that it would be difficult but i think that the new minister should at least talk about it i mean this is a big deal... and even if they cant go beck in time to when he was tom riddle why diddnt they go back in time after harry came out of the maze so they could get barty jr. and voldie before he bacame human again??

CoolWizard
Because even wizards should uphold certain laws ,and going back in time would bring about terrible consequences and changes. Messing with time, even for the purest of motives, is dangerous and very risky to do. Harry and Hermione were lucky in Prisoner of Azkaban.

Amy Black
Okay, it's dangerous to use the time-turner. But if Harry and Hermione - two 13-year-old wizard - can use it successfully, then older and smarter wizards - like Dumbledore or Lupin - can use it more easily, can't they? So it's possible, I think.

CoolWizard
Just because it is possible does not mean it is a good thing to do. It was possible for Voldemort to create a reign of terror, but it wasn't the right thing to do, if you understand my meaning.

randi_jedi
Well, what if killing voldermort made his spirit stronger. Changing the past is like creating a new future and no one (well a few here and there) knows what the future will bring. What if Voldermort killed a young wizard who would grow up and have power beyond anything that we could even comprehend. We would neevr know. But yeah, in the past, Voldermort was defeated, that means that it is possible to do again. But if there is an enitely different future created, something that no one could have expected could happen and be even worse. The Road to Hell is Paved with Good Intentions.

you-know-who
Thank - you amy black... thats exactly what i was getting at... sur it may bring up consequences but what doesnt??? killing voldie would be a good thing... like what if they went back to when voldie was just born and they did it while he was in the hospital then they could just say that like it died of like some baby disease or something... well i dont think that it would make his spirit stronger if they killed him when he was still tom riddle because remember... he was afraid of death and took ever precaution (or so he said) to avoid dying... but that was when he was voldemort not tom... " the road to hell is paved with good intentions" thats a good choice of words and i totally agree... even if they screw up cant the time turner go into the future too... so they can kill voldie and then go back to their year and see if anything is different and if it is then they can go back and keep voldie alive if they need to....... but i still sy they they should do it or at least try it.

CoolWizard
Because it would mess with the time stream, that is why. And the ends never justify the means. Sure they could manage to murder Voldermort when he was a kid, but that would make them just as bad as Voldie was when he went to kill Harry when he was still little. Going back in time to kill someone before they become fully bad is still murder. And Dumledore would never permit such an action, as wise and knowing as he is, and who is to say the wizards doing the time travel would not create an alternate reality where things are even worse?

Honestly! roll eyes (sarcastic) confused

Amy Black
I think killing one evil person to save many kind and lovely people is an acceptable thing, isn't it? Kill once to save a lot?

you-know-who
YEAH.... and i dont think that dombledore is in control of evry one using the time turner... i mean they had to go to the MOM diddnt he to ask permission??? and amy black is right again thats true and about killing voldie when he was a kid would not be a bad thing because they knew what he would grow up to be...b

Amy Black
You're my friend, you-know-who!

CoolWizard
Oh geez you guys keep missing the point. Killing one to save many is still murder, and is not so easily justifiable or rationalised as you both seem to think it is. Even if it is an evil dark lord. Teeenagers! I am so sick of how they think rules can be broken without consequences.

el-pirate
erm...ok....some people just have a different point of few huh
jk said herself that voldy is pure evil (they asked if he ever loved someone and she said no, casue then he wouldn't be pure evil yes )
so, evil and they could kill him, or otherwie after the secret chamber thing, casue then he did do somthing yes

Jackie Malfoy
Good question I am not sure why they could not do it.Maybe you can't go back that far or something.I am starting to wonder the same thing.JM

spidergrl
i don't think that they should go back in time and do that. because even though that if voldermort died and that would mean that harry's parents are still alive, there are still things that wouldn't work. like sirus might still be alive but in prison or something. harry would never of made the DA and never meet cho. also he might of gone with draco. time travel is quite dangerous, especially since anything can happen and things can change. and if he died fred and george would never of gone off and made their joke sho[

you-know-who
thanks your my friend to Thom's pumpkin... i guess... lmfao but i still think that they should... things would have changed in both the magical and muggle world possibly for the better... and if it happens to change for the worse then they can just change it back rite?!

ladygrim
i sed no for 2 reasons..

1. its just a dangerous f.ked up thing to do
2. ging bak in time to some where we have seen before will boring we need new fresh ideas to be intrested in

powerfulone1987
You can't just keep saying that if you go in the past and change something and then go back to the future to see how everything turned out and if it's worse that you can simply go back and change it. You would run into yourselves. The other you that went back in the first place the change the past. And another thing is, if you change the past and then return to the future, so many things will have changed, you won't even know where to begin. You may not live where you did and now you don't know where you house is, that is if you still have a house, that is if you haven't changed something where you have died and don't exist anymore. You may be the villian in the new time and be sent to Azkaban. Bunches of peole may not have been born including yourself and that would cause a paradox and destroy the universe, because if you weren't born, then how did you go back in time and change everything. Time travel, even though it is an interesting thing and people like the imagine what they would do if it were possible, it is still dangerous. And I for one hope that we never discover the secrets to time travel in the real world. Shame on those people who are looking for it, they are not god, they need to leave all well alone.

By the way, someone said that if time travel is so bad, then why did hermione and harry do it successfully by preventing 2 deaths and not causing bad results. Well, if you think about it, they didn't really change the past, Sirius never died and buckbeak either. Remember, before the harry and Hermione that we were following in the story went back in time that there were another harry and hermione that we never saw, remember they threw the rocks threw the window and, made the wolf sound, and how the other harry saved harry at the lake with the dementors. So really even before they went back in time, Buckbeak and Sirius were already being saved by the other harry and hermione. Our harry and hermione just went back in time and did exactly what there future selves had already did. Our harry and hermione's Sirius and Buckbeak were already saved before they went back in time, they just went back a few hours where they hadn't been saved yet and saved them.
Time Travel=BAD

ladygrim
erm

dragonflame
If they did go back in time to when Voldy wos at school and kill him, how would the get back?
remember when harry and hermione went 4 hours in, the had to had to rush to get back in time, but the time turner didnt bring them back. So if they went 50 years into the past to kill school Voldy they would have to live 50 years in the past, if you get what I'm sayin

The Ones
i said no because:

1. the time turner can only go back hours so it will be a strain on their wrists (about 25200000 hours) (i calculated it: 60min in an hour x 24 hours in a day x7 days in a week x 50 weeks in a years x 50 years)

2. they went back to save sirius and buckbeak because IT ALREADY HAPPENED! remember we didnt see buckbeak die (im talkin about the film) the partronus across the lake, the stone being thrown through the window to warn them about fudge, hermys wolf cry. it already happened. voldy didnt die so they wont go back to kill him. it didnt happen

BlackC@t
Going back in time and killing Voldemort would be the stupiest thing to ever do. Even the slightest change would have the most disaterous consequences. Killing Voldemort would change the whole course of the future, often to unexpected and disaterous consequences.

A lot of you have said that when Harry and Hermione went back and changed something, nothing happened. We do not know this. The time span that it actually happened and when they went back is too short to tell. For instance, Cedric's death could have been the result of what they changed. Voldemort's return could be the result of what they've changed.
There are consequences for what Harry and Hermione have changed, we just don't know them.

If J.K did that, (which I highly doubt) she should call it 'Harry Potter and The Butterfly Effect.' erm

The Ones
another excellent point by black cat

impatientinky
Quote:
If J.K did that, (which I highly doubt) she should call it 'Harry Potter and The Butterfly Effect.'

LOL!! (loved the movie smile )

you-know-who
those are very good point powerfulone1987.... when u put it that way i understand fully... and you also blackcat...... i was just saying tho it would be an interesting book to read... maybe i'll make a fanfic about it...........big grin

powerfulone1987
Thanks

you-know-who
no problem

~CirCledWOrlDs~
hmmmmmmmmm...........

Thom's Pumpkin
'And I have no concept of time other than it is flying
If only I could kill the killer'

Thom's Pumpkin
Okay, I know I'm not God to travel in time and change the world. But Voldemort is worse, he's not God either and he still decides who dies and who stays alive. He doesn't have the right, does he?

The Ones
no he dont. harry must kill him (or dumblebee)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.