Surround Sound

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

dave123
Sooooo, I've got myself a surround sound system - had it a short while, and want to link it up to my PC. how do i get my PC to play out of it.... anything you guys need to know about my hardware or windows settings, just ask big grin

thanks in advance to Raz, Yers, and anyone else that helps happy

yerssot
look, I'm mentioned happy

it would help if you tell what you have yes... with the cambridge soundwork (the ones I have) you have just two plugs: Front and Back you need to plug in

JKozzy
You might need a new sound card... I know they make sound cards with a decoder actually built in... not sure if that's what you're aiming for, or if you're looking for more of a way to just connect it to your decoder... if so, I'm sure there's some sort of card that offers a coaxial connection.. they have lots of crazy stuff out there, so I doubt they wouldn't make that.

dave123
coaxial is what i plug my xbox in to.... i have a yellow thingy in the back that i can plug it in to, but it doesn't actually come out through the speakers

how would i configure my PC to make that my output?

yerssot
I'm sorry, either I'm not awake, or I'm not registrating anything here... but I can't make any sense out of your reply currently

so... you plugged it in and it did not make a sound?
are you sure you plugged it in the right thing?

dave123
i plugged the coaxial in to a yellow port (suggesting it might be video) and nothing came out.... now either this port isn't an audio one, or i have to configure my PC to send audio out of that port

yerssot
can't check the color at the mo

Raz
Whats your make and version of your soundcard? What sort of outputs does it have?

dave123

Raz
Onboard audio? The sound quality won't be that good - its done via software.

Anyway, what sort of outputs does it have? If it supports surrond there should be two seperate outputs for surround.

dave123
the picture was meant to illustrate it embarrasment

anyway, i'm gonna buy some adapter thing, and you'll hear from me if that doesn't work happy

thanks so far... big grin

JKozzy
It looks as if it has a sound in and a video in... or out and out... either way, not very surround-friendly by the looks. Go get that adapter yes

Raz
What adapter thing? blink

I think you need a soundcard like the SoundBlaster 5.1 or something.

dave123
don't worry... i read some article on it

its a red/white phono plug at one end, with a normal speaker one at the other

Raz
Umm...thats just normal stereo...

dave123
the site said to change some setting on your speakers, since most soundcards come with surround sound anyway.... I hope

Raz
From what I've seen you don't have a soundcard, instead a motherboard audio component. Check your motherboard manual to see what sorts of sounds it supports.

From that diagram, it looks like one stereo output and one line-in input.

You should be able to mirror the front two sounds to the back two, but I don't know about surround sound. You need a special decoder that usually comes with modern soundcards.

dave123
a motherboard manual? that went a long, long time ago stick out tongue

anyway, i'll post back tomorrow to see how it goes happy

dave123
thumb up everything's good, so no worries big grin

JKozzy
How many speakers are in your "surround sound" out of curiosity... red and white just gets stereo, like Raz said... confused

dave123
it's a 5.1
5 speakers, 1 sub

Clovie
i have only 4 speakers and sub sad

dave123
laughing out loud it doesn't really make a difference stick out tongue the sub makes most of the sound, and you can feel just as immersed in 7 speakers as you do in 4 yes

Clovie
i don't have place for more anyway sad
and i'm not allowed to play anything laud sad
coz floor is moving messed

Raz
You're getting 5.1 surround sound from stereo phono cords? I'm surprised.

You normally need a digital input like optical or digital coaxial.

dave123
....well not exactly stick out tongue

the coaxial is pissing me off cry and i've had to move my PC closer to the sub and everything.... but I'm fine by myself now big grin

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.