Two Out Of Three Ain't Bad.......

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Syren
I was listening to a certain song by MeatLoaf love the other day with the lyrics;

"I want you, I want you,
I need you, I need you,
But there ain't no way I'm ever gonna love you,
Now don't be sad, don't be sad,
Coz two out of three ain't bad."

I came to the conclusion that, IMO, the lyrics are wrong. As far as I am concerned wanting and needing a person and all they stand for is loving them, right? Otherwise I would have to give another definition for love and I don't think anything else covers it. What say you?

Mr Zero
nothing could be further from the truth. real love is unconditional - everything else is bullshit.

Syren
Yes, but when you want to be with somebody, when you need them as much as you need the air you breathe, the food you eat, surely that's love? When it hurts to be apart, when it makes you sick at the thought of them leaving or dying, just as it does the thought of a close family member doing the same. Unconditional love is usually applied there right? Ergo wanting and needing a person is loving them IMO...........

Canadian Moose
You know, I saw him in concert a few years ago and had to wonder about this song myself. However I think that it is possible to want and need without love. My best friend is a bachelor, but has 2 daughters with 2 different women (is a regular on Jerry Springer). We had a long talk last night about what he wants from life and women. He stated that he needs a woman and wants a woman, but cannot love her. I don't think there is a direct correlation between needing someone, wnating them and loving them. Sometimes are desires needs are met without love ever entering the picture.

finti
yeah Meatloaf was the first I though off when I saw this topic, and it is just lyrics and you can want and need something/someone without loving them.

Canadian Moose
Ahh...but doesn't it depend on WHAT your need IS from that person?

Syren
It could be down to my personal expectations, I suppose. I've been through hell in the last three years with a guy who I will always love. Actually I am about to contradict myself embarrasment because although I will always love him, I don't actually need him right now. I suppose I also want him but that's my business wink

Syren
I reckon I was just being lazy and couldn't be bothered to think up another definition for love. Although, I do think that wanting someone and needing them are still important elements, perhaps they aren't necessarily definitive aspects of love itself.

Canadian Moose
Everyone needs someone, even if they deny it, but need and love are not exclusive. If you can need to be with someone and love them like there is no other, more power to you...it's just not that simple I think.

Screw me if I'm wrong. wink

finti
about two out of three aint bad lyrics, I love the middle part where the song goes But there ain't no Coupe de Ville hiding at the bottom of a Cracker Jack box brilliant stuff

WindDancer
To want is one thing. To love is another. Let's say I dig this nice looking girl I see at work. I want her! I desire her, but what if she doesn't? What if she is not interested? That means no matter how much I might want her she won't go for me. That would be desire that which can't be. But if she did wanted me and she does dig me. That means that there is a huge chance for love. That would be consider desire that which can happen. So when I want a woman I desire her. In order to have love both persons must have feelings for each other. After all it takes two Tango. If I had feelings for a woman that's not love. That's desire, but when the feelings are mutual it is love. At least that's how I see it.

finti
well I see the lyrics like this. It is about a guy that just wants to get laid for the night, a one night stand with this chick........whenever he feels like it or struck out with everyone else and with just her left behind. Like she`s a consolation price.

Cipher
Exactly. Nothing too difficult to understand there......

Syren
Oh jeez, I wasn't asking for a definition of Meatloaf's lyrics, I was asking what you all think the differences are between wanting, needing and loving roll eyes (sarcastic)

lil bitchiness
Well, hmmm...ok. I've never truly loved another person in alover kind of way, so i cannot exactly answer that.

Canadian Moose
Oh well then.....

Cool tune...I dig the whole "2 out of three" stuff.

Fer sure. rock

Arachnoidfreak
mmmm, Meatloaf. Tasty.

eleveninches
There is NO such thing as unconditional love, as one of the conditions might be that you do not and never have loved that person.

Syren
I love my mother unconditionally. In that no matter what she has put me through, and she has caused me a massive amount of pain throughout my life, I would still sacrifice myself to save her. Or I would expect myself to. That constitutes as unconditional love for a person, there are no conditions for me to love her. She doesn't have to be a perfect mother, she never had to do a thing for me to love her, I simply always did and I always will. It goes for pretty much all of my family, my closest kin anyway.

eleveninches
/\What if you found out that she was not really your mother, but was an alien or something like that?? Would you still love 'her' ??

Syren
blink

I would wear tinfoil beneath my baseball cap whenever I visited for Sunday Roast............

eleveninches
laughing out loud

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.