Journal of the Whills

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

walkingcarpet
I've been hearing some stuff about the Journal of the Whills, and I'm completely lost. Could anybody please tell me what it is?

walkingcarpet
Come on guys, I need a little help here.

Morridini
The novel of ANH starta with a quote, and that quote is taken from The Journal of the Whills

Morgoths_Wrath
The Journal of the Whills:

It's supposed to be the history of the Jedi and Sith, here's what it is to Lucas.

At the bottom of the Prologue to A New Hope's novelization is the tantalizing attribution: "From the First Saga, The Journal of the Whills."

This cryptic citation has caused much confusion over the years. The Journal is not a massive tome with a maddeningly low print run that is eluding collectors. Rather, it is a fictitious work from which the Star Wars stories are culled.

The storyline of the entire Star Wars saga has never been printed. It exists in the mind of George Lucas, and in his binders of notes and story treatments. "Originally, I was trying to have the story be told by somebody else; there was somebody watching this whole story and recording it, somebody probably wiser than the mortal players in the actual events," explains Lucas in Star Wars: The Annotated Screenplays. "I eventually dropped this idea, and the concepts behind the Whills turned into the Force. But the Whills became part of this massive amount of notes, quotes, background information that I used for the scripts; the stories were actually taken from the Journal of the Whills."

So you're probably thinking...

"That's not a history of the Jedi and the Sith!"

But, it is.
Or at least that's how they're going to use it in the movie I imagine. Lucas is taking HIS Journal of the Whills and turning it into a book of knowledge passed on by Jedi and Sith from the past, vast knowledge will probably be in these pages. Perhaps someone will discover the journals...and maybe explain alot of things. History of the Sith, other Darths, etc.

Captain REX
Doesn't necessarily mean that it will actually be in the movie, methinks. Interesting idea, though...

walkingcarpet
OOOH, ok. Thanks for the help guys.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.