Smoking should it be ban?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jackie Malfoy
Alot of people I know smokes my mom my stepfather and sometimes my dad and my boyfriend.
and I can't stand the spell or breath.So what are your views on smoking!
Should it be outlawed?What do you think/JM smokin' mad

amity75
I'd ban it in all public places. Cigarette smoke smells worse than vomit.

mc pee pants
outlawing cigarette smoking is a denial of rights... the hypocracy of democracy at its finest.

Turbo-Cajun
Not liking the smell isnt a good enough reason for it to be banned. You didnt specify whether you wanted a total ban or a ban on smoking in certain areas (ie:bars, night clubs). Right now where I live there are counties and cities that are banning smoking in the bars and pubs around here. Personally, if you dont like smoking don't go to the bar. If you find the smell and taste and breath of those who use alcohol would you try ban that at bars as well? If you dont like it, stay away from smokers... dont date them, dont go to the bar with them, and let them do whatever it is that they do to themselves. I think of bars and I think of beer and cigarrettes... quit trying to infringe on the rights of the individual. Let us smoke in peace.

mc pee pants
my thoughts exacty. what irks me the most are the people in the club making all those stoopid scoffing noises when they come out to the smoking patio. hellur!!! it's the only f*cking place we can go smoke. if you want fresh air, you went to the wrong place.

amity75
How would smokers feel if I went up and did an eggy fart in their faces? Well it's exactly the same thing as having someone smoke in front of you. It would be OK if cigarette smoke smelt pleasant but it smells like shit.

<<Solo>>
I agree with Amity, it would be awesome if smoking was banned....So very awesome.

mc pee pants
i didn't mean blowing the smoke directly in there faces. unfortunately, i cannot control the way the wind is blowing. if it bothers you so much, you should move away.

Myth
Don't ban smoking. Just restrict where they can do it (their homes without children present) and raise taxes on cigarettes. big grin

Turbo-Cajun
Bars, Pubs... the place to go for a beer and a smoke. Lets us have our place to enjoy ourselves... if you dont like the atmosphere there are tons of other places you can go where smoking is not permitted. If you dont like your parents and your boyfriend smoking Jackie, i suggest you try talk to them about it. Dont go around telling people it should be banned... you need to solve your own problem with smokers, dont ruin something that millions of people enjoy. Granted there are millions of people who hate it, but they have movie theatres, malls, schools, hospitals, art galleries, and family restaurants where they can go enjoy themselves... bars equal smoke and drink. Live with it.

Aren't you the same person who just opened a poll asking if the Gov't controlls too much?

If people can't do what makes them happy (smoking cigarrettes makes smokers happy) then the answer is yes... if you were like "smoking smells bad and I wish my family didnt smoke around me" I would agree, they shouldnt do that... if you had said "I hate when I am at a restaraunt and there was a guy smoking on the other end and the smell ruined my meal" I would say that yeah, he shouldnt have been smoking there. But your question was should it be outlawed. My answer is no... maybe smokers should be more considerate, I always try to make sure Im not blowing it at someone, and I always try to ask the people im with if its okay if i have a smoke before i light if I dont know if they smoke or not... but, it is a personal freedom... and if it were illegal or banned, people would do it anyway... just like underage drinking, just like pot...

Why the **** should we pay more taxes if we want to smoke? we arent bad people cause we smoke, and we shouldnt be penalized for it. They wanted to build a stadium in Minnesota with tax from raised cig prices, where is the logic in that? If that money was used towards health care I could maybe understand... but a stadium? Why the hell would that make any sense? Why should smokes be overtaxed even more?

amity75
I'd like to see it banned in all enclosed public places. People should be able to smoke outside etc but not in bars, restaurants etc. I think that's a nice happy medium. I'm not worried about passive smoking as my alcohol/burger/saturated fat intake is taking care of my health but I just think it stinks and I hate waking up in the morning and having my clothes smell of cigarette smoke. If people want to smoke then let them but only in allocated places. And I know I sound like a nicotine nazi and I can accept the criticism that people will give me for my views and I CAN see their point of view because I know how I'd feel if someone told me to that I couldn't do something I loved but a bit of give and take is required from all parties.

pr1983
i live in ireland where its banned in workplaces, its fine and im happy with it, a complete ban would be ridiculous.

btw i dont smoke

Myth
Also, I think a bar should have the right to be smokefree OR have smoking depending on the owner's decision.

Jedi Priestess
well this is crap. A NO ONE has the right to tellme what I can and cant do in my own home. And FYI cigarettes are already friggen taxed to death. Why dont we tax all the damn people that hit the liquor store on the weekends?

I am SO sick of non smokers bitching about people who smoke OUTSIDE. SHUT UP ALREADY!! We cant smoke inside as it is. So keep your asses inside!!!!!!!!!!!. BUT a bar should be open territory because its a BAR, I dont like drunks falling all over me in there but what can ya do? Its a BAR! damn non smokers need to get a grip already.

Myth
I said you can do it in your home as long as you are not forcing the children around you to breath it. They are not educated enough about the dangers so leaving the choice up to them is not enough. You should not be allowed to smoke around children of a certain age (I'd say 12 but that is negotiable). I agree that liquor and alcohol should be taxed as well (hope you don't get mad at me for a point that you brought up). I am SO sick of smokers forcing me to inhale that shit. Outside is fine, but do you have to stand right infront of entrance/exits of buildings where we can't avoid? You smoke outside? Fine, just don't do it where in places that I can't avoid. Like I said, I am fine with it in a bar as long as the owner approves it.

SlipknoT
you shoulde be able to smoke where ever you please

bazooka
Please ban it! teenager that smoke tend to commit crime! health treaten! pollusion! become poor!

Turbo-Cajun
Amen.

Turbo-Cajun
bash

Darth Revan
I find it rather ironic how the same member who made a thread saying that the government controls too much thinks that smoking ought to be banned. no expression

I don't smoke myself, but I think it's just stupid to ban smoking outright, or even to ban it in all the places they have been. Don't like the smoke, don't sit there. Yes, it really is that simple, folks.

bazooka
if tomorrow there is no source anymore to produce cigarette. Will every smoker stop smoking? definitely! ban is one of the way to stop it.

Darth Revan
Uhh... no... People will just roll their own cigarettes, like they do with pot no expression

Turbo-Cajun
Have you ever heard of the prohibition? God damn.... people dont know their history.

SlipknoT
You have some of the most ignorant posts.

D-Double
After they ban cigarettes, they'll ban alcohol, again. Then steak, ice cream, and cupcakes. It'll be a world of completely healthy assholes who are totally miserable.

And there will be three morons in Ecstasy.

"This is great. Isn't it?" *yawn*
-Moron

bazooka
If there is a machine that will make smoker not ever think to smoke again, will they try that machine? huh

Darth Revan
Nooooooo not the cupcakes, anything but the cupcakes! cry

bazooka&gt; what the hell does that have to do with anything anywhere?

SlipknoT
Honestly man how old are you? 5, 6?

Turbo-Cajun
All I want to do is to go to work, get my work done, go to school, get my school work done, come home and all I ask is for a couple ****ing cigarettes... I dont need some self righteous ass-hole telling me what I can or cant do.

No, I wouldnt use your machine... and they have shit out there that does it already, nicotine patches... people dont use them bc they like to smoke. so there.

Myth
They would never do that. Banning cigarettes and alcohol isn't because of self-inflicted harm. They are because of harm they may cause to others. Eating junk food doesn't harm others but 2nd hand smoke and alcoholics can. Again, I don't think there should be an all out ban. There should however be restrictions that protect others from the harm of smokers and alcoholics.

DR - "I don't smoke myself, but I think it's just stupid to ban smoking outright, or even to ban it in all the places they have been. Don't like the smoke, don't sit there. Yes, it really is that simple, folks."

As I was saying, it is not always possible to avoid smokers smoke. Check my other post.

D-Double
Look, man. Unless you're on a plane or in a frigg'n tunnel, it is possible. If your parents smoked with you in the house or something, I'm sorry for you, and I would never do that to my children.

I'm from California where smoking is basically outlawed, anyway. It's a no-go in malls, restaurants, bars, any places of business, most households, and clubs. I don't know about where you live, but here, the "fresh air assholes" have won.

What if a little tart with too much perfume sits next to you, and oh no, you're allergic to perfume. Do you call your local congressman and ask them to outlaw perfume. NO!! You quickly get her number and go stand somewhere else.

I, like Turbo, like to smoke. I will quit one day...when I don't want to smoke anymore.

You know what? I don't like assholes! I think they are dangerous to me and the environment. I'm writing my congressman tomorrow.

Darth Revan
DD&gt; laughing out loud Good post

It's pretty much illegal here in Oregon, too... You can smoke outdoors on public property, and in your own house, but not in bars, malls, restaurants, or any private businesses.

Turbo-Cajun
This is a stupid thread... no one will ever make a total ban on either cigarettes or alcohol. Too big of industries... they have too much money... too much lobbying power... too many jobs... and there is already too much crime.

It will never happen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nice DD, nice. They are just trying to pull that shit now in Minnesota... its lame.

On that note... I'm on my way outside to enjoy a smoke. All this writing about cigarettes makes me want to burn one.

Myth
I'd like to be able to eat in restaurants without the smoking. Actually, in Oregon you can smoke in restaurants, but it is a separate section, and that I am fine with. In malls, the walk ways are too narrow so you wouldn't be able to avoid the smoke. Bars, as I said, should go according to the owner. I'm sorry you want to suck on your death stick, but I don't believe I should have to inhale it as well. Outside like I said is fine as long as people smoke away from the entrance. You just stand around while smoking anyway, you aren't doing anything, so why do you have to be in the one spot that nonsmokers HAVE to walk by to get into a building? There should be like a 50 ft away from entrance law. You can be next to the building, just stay away from places like doors that I can't avoid. On the perfume thing, I'd like for their to be a way to monitor the amount of stench a person can put out. Unfortunately their is no way to rid of that. You smokers smell bad too even when you aren't smoking, but that isn't the part that worries me anyway. I would be super pist if somebody in a restaurant sat down next to me and continuously sprayed their damn perfume. Guess what would happen in a case like that? The person would be kicked out of the restaurant as well (thank god).

Btw: Your congressmen wouldn't do anything. Why would they put bans on themselves?

BackFire
No, smoking should not have a government restriction on it. It should be up to the owners of specific establishments to decide if they wish to allow smoking inside or not.

In government controled environments, then yes, it should be up to the government.

Smoking should be allowed outdoors anywhere.

D-Double
First of all, I do push-ups while I smoke. huh

About the 50ft law. They actually tried that in couple of California cities. The things was, though, the police wouldn't enforce it because they realized how stupid it was. laughing out loud

That's the first, and only, time I ever said, "Right on, cops!".

Myth
What is stupid is that those cops didn't do their job.

furryman
Buildings should have smoking and non-smoking areas, and as rightly said by a few people, it's up to the owner.. maybe even completely non-smoking, and smoking outdoors. But everyone should have the freedom to smoke outside. If they decide it's all smoking, non-smokers can go somewhere else if they don't like it.

There's a cool pub near my gf's house where you can smoke joints, cause the owners are caners themselves!

What makes me sick is streets littered in butts.. I always stub it out and put it in the bin, failing that drop it in a drain

Whisper
If you smoke then don't come near me. I don't want my man smelling like an ashtray with limited lung capacity.

finti
Here in Norway most work places have a ban on smoking inside, some even ban smoking period regardless if it is outside or not. The argument they use is we pay you for your time working, they be happy to deduct all the time spent smoking on the paycheck............hmmmmmm in comes union.
From 1 of July this year all bars, pubs and restaurants in Norway were smoke free zones by LAW.......... yeah I dont smoke but hey if you dont like smoke at bars and pubs. STAY HOME!!!!!!!!!!!! I aint forced into bars and pubs I do it cause I want too and chooses to, so if I endanger myself by being in a smoky area so be it, we only live once(unlike 007). cool And if you wont endanger yourself stay at home or start a smoke free bar/pub.
We have the highest taxes on cigarettes in the world in Norway, doesnt stop people from smoking, we have the worlds highest taxes on alcohol here in Norway, guess what!! It doesnt stop people from drinking.
What these high taxes on so called luxury goods do stimulate though is SMUGGLING.

WhiteEagle
I think it is a good thing that smoking is banned in particular areas of bars and clubs. Of course smokers should have a place (preferably indoors) where they can smoke, but it should be away from non smokers and in particular the staff working in the bar. They have the right to work in an environment that isn't constantly engulfed in second hand smoke. I think that right outweighs the right of a smoker to light up inside.

naybean
I'm with finti on this one - loadsa people want to ban smoking in bars and pubs in the UK. Personally I dont have a problem with some pubs and clubs being smoke free, but i like smoky bars and pubs even though i dont smoke (unless i'm having a really bad day). My company's policy is not smoking on company premises - but the manager does so we officially made the managers office the smoking room.

As long as there are some places that are smoke free - like no smoking areas in restaurants and everything I dont see why anyone should try and ban it. Whats wrong with compromising

lil bitchiness
You know, there is such a thing as a second hand smoke. I do believe smoking is a dirty habit, and i hate the fact that my mom does it and regualting as to where people can smoke, i guess im all for.

crazy_c
They banned smoking in public places over (You gots to go outside and such) and it's working oot pretty goot.

It's awful having to sit next to peeps who blow smoke in your face and they don't care that they're damaging your health as much as their own.

finti
but their right to work in a smoke free environment does that outweigh the part that they might loose their job. Cause thats the situation in Norway now, a lot of pubs and bars are struggeling financially.

Storm
Smoking reduces life expectancy by 15 to 25 years and is the single most preventable cause of death. In one study, only 42% of male lifelong smokers reached the age of 73, compared to 78% of nonsmokers. Smoking may be even more dangerous in women. Smoking may be even more dangerous now than 30 years ago, most likely because the lower tar and nicotine levels in most cigarette brands cause people to inhale more deeply.

The smoke is the most dangerous component of the cigarette. Smoke contains nitrogen oxide and carbon monoxide, which are harmful gases. When people inhale they also bring tar into their lungs. Tar itself includes 4,000 chemicals, some of which are known to cause cancer.

Experts warn that so-called safer cigarettes, which claim to filter out some of these toxins, are still not safe, as the smoke from these cigarettes still contain many harmful chemicals. Even worse, a 2002 study suggested that people who smoke as few as three standard brand cigarettes a day are at higher risk for blood vessel abnormalities that endanger the heart.

Passive smoking numbers shock
London - Passive smoking kills more than 4 000 people a year in Britain, new findings showed on Monday, prompting health professionals to call for a ban on smoking in pubs, restaurants and in the workplace.

Most of those fatally affected by inhaling other people's smoke are relatives of smokers, with some 3 600 people under 65 dying each from lung cancer, heart disease and stroke.

The research undertaken by the Royal College of Physicians (RCP) also revealed that at least 50 people working in the hospitality industry die every year.

The new figures are four times higher than those previously made available. Past estimates suggested second-hand smoke killed around 1 000 Britons a year.

Doctors described the figures as "startling" and said deaths could be prevented by banning cigarette smoking in all indoor public places and workplaces.
Major organizations, including the American Heart Association and US Surgeon General have stated that passive smoke poses a 30% increase in the risk of heart disease. One analysis of studies suggested that exposure to second-hand tobacco smoke may increase the risk of lung cancer in the nonsmoker by about 25%. The Environmental Protection Agency has classified second-hand smoke as a carcinogen.

Doesn' t it bother you that your choice is not only affecting yourself but is endangering the health of non-smokers too?
I can sum up a lot of reasons against smoking. What makes you start smoking in the first place and what do you gain with it?

All public places should ban smoking and have designated areas where smokers can keep their bad habits to themselves. The designated areas should be places that are in open air or special well ventilated rooms.

finti
bars and pubs are private owned establishments it should be up to the owner whether to decide if it should allow or disallow smoking

Silver Tongue
Yes i believe it should be banned. I mean what good is it? Can you name one positive thing that smoking does for you? It's disgusting, smells awful and shortens your life.

finti
so we should ban all things that doesnt do positive things for you?

Silver Tongue
Sure, why not.
I mean think about it. What good is smoking? It's a nasty habit that thousands of people die from every year

finti
so?, people die from carcrashes too shall we ban cars as well.
Life is full of danger we can either accept that and deal with it or live in fear for it, I choose to just accept it as it is.

Silver Tongue
But why risk it? You don't HAVE to smoke. Just like you don't HAVE to drink or do drugs. I think it should be banned. And no one can change my mind.

finti
dont have to ride a car either

Jedi Priestess
Clearly you've never been a smoker. Try smoking for about 25 years and then just going "Ooops! This is bad for me guess I'll quit."

Storm those are all nice statistics but as a smoker, I know em and I don't care. Most people that smoke know them and they don't care either. Statistics do nothing to deter smoking in a smoker.

It is my choice to smoke. I am polite about it. I don't smoke in peoples homes, cars in places its not allowed, not near any doorways where people have to walk through it. But I GREATLY resent being looked at and treated like I'm some kind of pond scum because I smoke. And that happens ALL THE TIME. Many nonsmokers are under the impression that they are higher on the social ladder than those of us that smoke.

The town I lived in a few years ago pop. 60 thousand, had the big petition to ban smoking in all diners, bars etc. And it passed. The reason it passed, is cause the non smokers were the ones that voted. The majority of smokers don't even vote most of the time. And this happened mind you with petitions that numbered over 20 thousand to STOP the ban. But it passed. NOW, this same group of people came to the town I live in now and tried to pull that crap and they were run out of town on a rail. The business owners simple,y said this is MY business and you will NOT tell me how to run it. We have both smoking and non-smoking establishments here. I frequent both.

The guy that mentioned the perfume had a point. Some womens perfume makes me want to puke. But hey I put up with cause its the way it is. Damn I'm getting windy. I'm going to get down off the soapbox nowand go have a smoke. smokin'

Silver Tongue
For your information sweetie I WAS A SMOKER for about 9 years

Jedi Priestess
Is that 25? And how much did you smoke.

Silver Tongue
So what!? I've smoke I know what it does. I know the risks and it's a stupid thing to do

Jedi Priestess
ok whatever works for you dearie wink

Storm
Why do you smoke or did you start smoking?

Quitting isn't easy, but it's not impossible either. Usually people make 2 or 3 attempts, or more, before finally being able to quit. More than 3 million Americans quit every year.

PVS
im sick of health nazis trying to tell me what not to do, what to eat, and having the audacity to try to put it into law. not to attack any nonsmokers, you have the right to not want to smell the stink of cigarette smoke in a restaurant while you eat. i am a smoker and i hate when people are smoking around me when i eat. but who the hell is anybody to tell me what i can and cant do in my home, or in the outdoors? its just control freak nazi shit and it needs to be let go.

how about i just sit on my ass with a beer in one hand and a cigarette in the other, patting my satisfied gut after i devoured a nice bacon sandwich and afterwards stuff my face with high carb, high fat cake. is that not my choice?

health nazi: your killing yourself!!! it should be illegal!!!

no, i am accepting the great risk that is life. everytime i get in my car and drive i risk dying... so should driving be illegal too? should everything that is not healthy be illegal? should we all just hide in underground bunkers in sterile oxygen tents eating tofu for the rest of our lives?

WindDancer
I don't smoke and I detest smoke getting on my face. Just burn down the Tobacco industry. They are nothing but a killing lung machine.

Storm
Well excuse me that my health is precious to me. You can' t deny the fact that non smokers are dying because of smokers their nasty habit. If you feel comfortable with that, fine. But I don' t. And that is what bothers me the most about smoking.

finti
yeah and lets destroy all car factories too

WindDancer
Except the Hybrid cars. wink

finti
cars pollute and kills too, what about them

PVS
its our right as members of a free society to live our lives as we see fit,
so long as we do not infringe on another's health. some of those rights have been taken away and i do not support that, i completely condemn it.

its nobodys right to force safety on someone else.
thats being a control freak

now if you'll excuse me, my lunch break is almost over, and i'm going outside for a smoke stick out tongue

GOD BLESS AMERICA

lil bitchiness
Because the worst thing about Nazis has always been their health policy.

Storm
A lot of money goes to traffic safety and people are working on pollution.

What has been done to reduce the risks of smoking?

Jedi Priestess
I started at 14 because I was young and dumb. Then it became more of a stress thing. Now its a serious stress thing and a really bad habit. I have tried quitting several times, but the agony of withdrawal killed me each time. Cant stand the taste of the gum, and Im allergic to the patches. So it's pretty much cold turkey if I want to quit and I wouldnt wish that on my worst enemy.

PVS
laughing out loud YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN!!!! stick out tongue

Jedi Priestess
PVS I am praying for the middle of Nov when I dont have to look at that sig and av anymore messed messed messed

Storm
There is. For example, the use of condoms.

PVS
no more bush sig after nov. 2, granted.

but peter gryphon STAYS stick out tongue

Storm
There are more ways of quitting.

Jedi Priestess
Ive tried many of them Storm.......didnt take....guess Im weak. But I am a polite smoker. PVS you keep that man licking himself thing and I will not be speaking to you as you will be on iggey. That av makes me wanna puke and Im not kidding.

PVS
condoms prevent the spread of h.i.v. and other s.t.d.'s, which present the scenario of one irresponsible person harming others. bob has sex with 10 girls, those 10 girls each have sex with ten guys, and then up to 101 people are infected. plus...i dont recall condom use being enforced by law.

btw, do you ever drink alcoholic beverages? socially or otherwise? nothing healthy about that. the deaths caused directly and indirectly by alcohol consumption are staggering. should that be illegal as well?

PVS
oh lighten up JP roll eyes (sarcastic)
you know you cant ignore me stick out tongue
i still luvs ya, even though you're constantly beating up on me

finti
as I posted earlier here in Norway we have very high taxes on tobacco also it hasnt been allowed to advertise for tobacco products the last 30 something years, so at least here in Norway they do things to prevent people from start smoking. They have huge anti smoking add campaigns,....doesnt seems to work cause the smoking amongst the youths have increased the last couple of years.......oh yeah you have to be 18 to buy tobacco products here.

Jedi Priestess
Im telling you..you keep that nasty puke inducing av you are history stick out tongue

Storm
Yes I drink alcohol beverages but with moderation. The amount of alcohol I drink isn' t a menace for my health. I' ve never been drunk.

And don' t let us start on that again, that thread is still lingering.

PVS
but wait now, that is completely relavent. i smoke AT MOST a third of a pack a day. many folks only smoke a cigarette once in a blue moon when they have a drink.

the point im making is, although YOU drink responsibly, other people kill themselves with alcohol, and even worse, they kill and hurt others.

if you think that cigarettes should be banned utterly than the same logic should lead to the banning of alcohol.

Storm
I didn' t say it wasn' t relevant at all. I meant that it was a pretty heavy discussion back then and acohol banning was involved.

BackFire
The "facts" about the dangers of somking are usually blown way out of proportion by the anti smoking folks, or "health nazis" as they were so elequantly called earlier..

For instance, for smoking to have a permaneant effect on ones health (if they are a healthy individual without preceeding lung problems) they have to smoke heavily for 20 years or more (and even that is not concrete, for alot of people, there will be no peramaneant negatives caused by smoking unless they smoke all their lives). Anything less is easily reversible if they should quit. It's funny, all the people who "die" from cigarette smoking are always old and would probably be dying anyways from something else. Dying from smoking is as good a cause of death as any other if you ask me.

Also, in my argument class we happened to discuss this same topic this week, and the teacher said that the dangers of second hand smoke isn't nearly as major as people make it out to be. This is true, for second hand smoke to have an effect on you you have to prety much be sitting in a closed room with someone who smokes almost constantly and for many years. Most of the people who have "died from second hand smoke" already had health problem to begin with and they probably would have gotten sick ragaurdless. The only way second hand smoke can have serious ramifications on a person who isn't around smokers constantly is if they already have serious lung problems, and in this case, it's their responsibility to get away from smokers.

Storm
Funny, since we also discussed the same topic in my class this week. And the teacher said that the dangers of second hand smoke are not as innocent as people make it out to be and should not be lightly taken.

So, what now?

And that' s an argument that is commonly used by pro smokers.

PVS
good point backfire.

we must remember the old saying "figures don't lie, but liars figure"
many deaths attributed to cigarettes are really not solely cause by them.
lets take genetic weakness. say a certain person is unlucky enough to have a
family history of lung cancer or heart disease...certainly not a rare case.
now, lets say that person smoked a pack a day, and this person dies cancer or a heart attack.

the figures will tell you that in this case cigarettes killed them.
a direct connection, no other cause...
in such cases, cigarettes accelerated an existing problem, but didnt cause it.
not the overall case, but an example.

as far as second hand smoke goes, backfire is correct. a whiff of second hand smoke at a bar is not going to give you cancer, you will not get a heart attack...at worst the smell will stick to you and your eyes may water if the smoke goes right in them. but you are not going to die from it unless possibly you live in a closed area with a chain smoker. and i mean a person who smokes with the windows closed, just lingering smoke constantly.

BackFire
"Funny, since we also discussed the same topic in my class this week. And the teacher said that the dangers of second hand smoke are not as innocent as people make it out to be and should not be lightly taken.

So, what now?"

Take a read at the rest of the paragraph where I actually go into detail exactly WHY second hand smoke isn't all that dangerous in reality. I never said it wasn't a problem, simply that the people who act like "omg if you are around a smoker for 5 minutes you'll get lung cancer!!!!!!" are stupid. It takes a LONG time for second hand smoke to cause damage to a healthy person. You're not going to bet cancer from second hand smoke by sitting next to some guy on the bus who is smoking.

"And that' s an argument that is commonly used by pro smokers."

Yeah, too bad I'm not a pro smoker. I think it's extremely stupid and pointless,and have never had a puff in my life. But that doesn't mean I'm going to go all nazi on the people who do smoke and try to take away something that gives them some comfort and allows them to relax. It's not my business, and if I'm around someone who's smoking, instead of running around whining about it, I'll take the 3 seconds it takes to move 4 feet away from them. Or if that's not an option, simply ask them if they don't mind putting out the cigarette because it's bothering me. Most smokers aren't the demons they're made out to be. If you ask niceley for someone to put out a cigarette if you're near them, most of the time they will do it. No big deal.

Storm
I move away from them. But when I' m in a restaurant and they do mind putting it out (which happened), do I have to take my dish and go outside?

Some of the immediate effects of passive smoking include eye irritation, headache, cough, sore throat, dizziness and nausea. Adults with asthma can experience a significant decline in lung function when exposed, while new cases of asthma may be induced in children whose parents smoke. Short term exposure to tobacco smoke also has a measurable effect on the heart in non-smokers. Just 30 minutes exposure is enough to reduce coronary blood flow.

In the longer term, passive smokers suffer an increased risk of a range of smoking-related diseases. Non-smokers who are exposed to passive smoking in the home, have a 25 per cent increased risk of heart disease and lung cancer. A major review by the Government-appointed Scientific Committee on Tobacco and Health (SCOTH) concluded that passive smoking is a cause of lung cancer and ischaemic heart disease in adult non-smokers, and a cause of respiratory disease, cot death, middle ear disease and asthmatic attacks in children. A more recent review of the health impacts of passive smoking by the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) noted that "the evidence is sufficient to conclude that involuntary smoking is a cause of lung cancer in never smokers."

A study published in the British Medical Journal suggests that previous studies of the effects of passive smoking on the risk of heart disease may have been underestimated. The researchers found that blood cotinine levels among non-smokers were associated with a 50-60% increased risk of heart disease.

Whilst the relative health risks from passive smoking are small in comparison with those from active smoking, because the diseases are common, the overall health impact is large. The British Medical Association has conservatively estimated that secondhand smoke causes at least 1,000 deaths a year in the UK. However, the true figure is likely to be much higher. Professor Konrad Jamrozik of Imperial College London estimated that domestic exposure to secondhand smoke causes at least 3,600 deaths annually from lung cancer, heart disease and stroke combined, while exposure at work leads to approximately 700 deaths from these causes. Jamrozik also estimates 49 deaths - or about 1 a week - from exposure at work in the hospitality trades. In the population aged 65 or older, passive smoking is estimated to account for 16,900 deaths annually. 9,700 are due to stroke, where current evidence of health effects is weakest.

A distinction between old and young people was made.

Almost half of all children in the UK are exposed to tobacco smoke at home. Passive smoking increases the risk of lower respiratory tract infections such as bronchitis, pneumonia and bronchiolitis in children. One study found that in households where both parents smoke, young children have a 72 per cent increased risk of respiratory illnesses. Passive smoking causes a reduction in lung function and increased severity in the symptoms of asthma in children, and is a risk factor for new cases of asthma in children. Passive smoking is also associated with middle ear infection in children as well as possible cardiovascular impairment and behavioural problems.

Infants of parents who smoke are more likely to be admitted to hospital for bronchitis and pneumonia in the first year of life. More than 17,000 children under the age of five are admitted to hospital every year because of the effects of passive smoking. Passive smoking during childhood predisposes children to developing chronic obstructive airway disease and cancer as adults. 14 Exposure to tobacco smoke may also impair olfactory function in children. A Canadian study found that passive smoking reduced children' s ability to detect a wide variety of odours compared with children raised in non-smoking households. Passive smoking may also affect children?s mental development. A US study found deficits in reading and reasoning skills among children even at low levels of smoke exposure.

Jedi Priestess
I think the point or at least my point is....nonsmokers have a tendency to be extremely arrogant towards those that do smoke. I dont know if you all cant help it or what, but most smokers are pretty laid back and they just to be left in peace to have a cigarette and the places where they can do this are shrinking by the year. First it was inside public places, ok fine we'll give you that one. But now the anti-smokers want to make it illegal to smoke outside. I wonder are the same people planning on moving out of their smog choked cities?

and Im ashamed to admit this but, all 3 of my children aged 22, 21 and 11 have been exposed to second hand smoke at one time or another, AND I smoked while I was pregnant. I KNOW HUGE NO NO. But it should also be said that NOT A ONE of them had anymore colds, lung problems, etc etc than any other kid in their class. My youngest has literally had to have prescription medicine like 5 times since she was born and shes 11. I just think this like everything else is totally blown out of proportion. DO you know there are people that have smoked for the better part of their lives and lived to be over 100?

I think you are either predisposed to this stuff or you arent IMHO.

lil bitchiness
Im sorry but thats absolute bull.

Would you mind if you had a weed smoker sitting next to your children smoking weed? Would you mind if an heroin addict was snorting heroin in a caffee next to you?

Would you be fine with it? And if not, why not?

BackFire
"I move away from them. But when I' m in a restaurant and they do mind putting it out (which happened), do I have to take my dish and go outside?"

No, but I would suggest going to a restaurant that doesn't allow smoking. If there are any where you live.

For all those statistics, you don't give any percentages. What percent of kids/people actually see these effects from second hand smoke? Probably very few. I know alot of people who grew up around cigarette smoke, and they have a perfect bill of health. Obviously, people with asthma should not be around cigarette smoke. This is common sense. Again, if you don't like second hand smoke and don't want to risk all of those problems that may or may not happen to someone if they are around second hand smoke, simply don't go to places that allow smoking. Problem solved.

"Almost half of all children in the UK are exposed to tobacco smoke at home. Passive smoking increases the risk of lower respiratory tract infections such as bronchitis, pneumonia and bronchiolitis in children. One study found that in households where both parents smoke, young children have a 72 per cent increased risk of respiratory illnesses. Passive smoking causes a reduction in lung function and increased severity in the symptoms of asthma in children, and is a risk factor for new cases of asthma in children. Passive smoking is also associated with middle ear infection in children as well as possible cardiovascular impairment and behavioural problems."

Again, I never argued that constant second hand smoke causes problems. In fact, I said that that's the ONLY way serious ramifications will occur to someone who has a good bill of health. You are showing me nothing here, other then bad parenting. Obviously, you should not smoke around kids. This is something that SHOULD BE against the law. Because a child has no choice but to suffer from second hand smoke, he can't just walk away, he can't move, he has to live there.

To sum up what I said, never, NEVER did I say there were no problem associated with high levels of second hand smoke. I know there are and recognize most of them. However, it's naive to blame a smoker for second hand smoke (unless it's for a child, in which case parents who smoke around kids should be kicked in the head, something I forgot to address in my last post). If an adult is 'suffering' from second hand smoke in a restaurant, don't go to a restaurant that allows smoking. If you live with smokers, go outside or stay in another room if it bothers you. No adult is forced to sit near someone who smokes, nor are they forced to live with or date someone who smokes. If it bothers them so much, simply go somwhere else.

PVS
to me, there are 'non-smokers' and people who dont smoke.

people who dont smoke...dont smoke. their lungs are healthy, their heart is healthy, they made the wise choice of not smoking, and thus are usually healthier than the smoker.

and now the "non-smokers". the very name says it all. a group of people who have formed their own unit againsts people who smoke and consider themselves to be better, smarter, less annoying...etc. like the people who dont smoke, their lungs are healthy, their heart is healthy, they made the wise choice of not smoking, and thus are usually healthier than the smoker.
only the non-smoker has become a group of hypocondriacs. now they cant *god forbid* get a WHIFF of ciragette smoke or it will just KILL them.

Jedi Priestess
OK LIL I love ya I really do, but you would not believe the dirty looks I have gotten while standing outside BY MYSELF NOT ANYWHERE NEAR another human being simply because I was SMOKING! Im not saying ALL nosmokers have that mentality but a great many do my friend.

And I have to agree with pvs on that there are non-smokers and people who dont smoke.

PVS
i think JP is referring more to the attitude of nonsmokers, because they tend to look down their noses at smokers, even if they are not in contact with their smoke...as if smokers are just lowlife junkies.

perhaps attitudes are different overseas, but in america, its very true.

BackFire
"Would you mind if you had a weed smoker sitting next to your children smoking weed? Would you mind if an heroin addict was snorting heroin in a caffee next to you?"

Most people would have a problem with that because those are illegal drugs, where as smoking is legal. Big difference, lil.

PVS
"Would you mind if you had a weed smoker sitting next to your children smoking weed?"

i would tell my kids to cover their ears and close their eyes.
then i would ask the person to pass it over laughing out loud

Storm
There aren' t any. Smoking is allowed in bars and restaurants and you can' t find any without smoke. Smoking is not allowed at the movies but still you do smell it so it' s being ignored.
I am daily confronted with smokers.
You can' t smoke in my entire college building except at 1 place, the bloody entrance. All the smokers gather at the entrance while the smoke is spreading over the entire hall.

BackFire
Damn Storm, that sucks. Sorry to hear that. There are NO restaurants that don't have smoking? Do they at least have non smokers sitting in their own section?

Storm
Sure, smokers and non smokers areas seperated by only air. That will help a lot.

PVS
see, i agree with storm in that she has the right to not come into constant contact with cigarette smoke. in the case where she has to pass smokers at an indoor entrance to where she goes to class, which defeats the purpose of the rule. people do make stupid rules pertaining to smokers, but you cant blame the smoker. blame the idiot who decared that the only smoking spot would be indoors in the very location where EVERYONE walks.

PVS
in jersey, many places have smoking and nonsmoking separated by glass.

Jedi Priestess
yep.........and thats bad that there are no nonsmoking restaurants there are tons of them in the US and the number grows daily.....and I agree with PVS, the fault for the location falls on the owner of the establishment. Many places here you cant smoke within 100 ft of the entrance. Our smoking sections in restaurants are seperated by being in different rooms here.

PVS
wow...thats twice in a row you've agreed with me...im scared confused

stick out tongue

Jedi Priestess
yeah well dont get used to it.....and GET RID OF THAT AVATAR!!! mad

Storm
I just checked it. There are 63 non-smoking establishments. Most of them are snack bars and on a 1 hour (minimum) riding distance from where I live.

DarthCyrax
in chicago theres no bans for smoking

Raz
I think it should be made illegal to smoke in front of someone without consent.

There can be no excuse to give other people cancer.

lil bitchiness
Just because they're illegal? But the fact that they are damaging is not an issue?

Actually, those might b e illegal but those are FAR less damaging than cigarettes.

finti
guess xrays at the hospitals have to go too then, there are certain food groops that are used on a daily basis that people argue can cause cancer. So if we ban one thing that can casue you cancer wont we have to ban them all

Jedi Priestess
now see I always ask....

amity75
Just ban it inside public places. But for some reason I REALLY hate seeing someone driving a car with a cig hanging from their lip.

finti
big grin more dangerous though are people talking on cell phones while driving and dont use hands free, also people actually chating sms while driving now ...........thats hazardous and reckless driving

Mr Parker
I think its stupid that they made the law where you cant even smoke in airport terminals anymore.On the plane,I can understand,but airport terminals is stupid.They got it now so that you cant smoke in any builidngs in california now.Its absurd.another example of BIG BROTHER ruling our lives. and this is coming from a guy whos NOT a smoker.

WindDancer
Smoking is just bad period! If a person wants to smoke let him/her do it. But the smoker should just be considerated to those around. I'm glad Restaurants here in California banned smoking. Can't have a good meal and having all that puff getting in my nose. Yuck!

finti
yeah cause now we get the wonderful treat to really get to smell personal hygiene or lack of it sick

naybean
laughing
Theres a difference though - i can understand why people dont like smoking in restaurants, but when its in pubs and clubs i dont have a problem with it.

shellie
im not a smoker and i dont think it should be banned . i can understand not wanting to be around it . however...god gave us the legs we walk on...if you dont like it...leave .

another thing that pisses me off is when someone who is dieing of self inflicted lung or throat cancer sues the cigarette companies and wins millions of dollars.....excuse me while i scream....

WAKE THE HELL UP PEOPLE...SMOKING CAUSES CANCER...

sueing the company who made them is as ridiculas as a fat person sueing Mc Donalds cuz they are fat .

yerssot
is it actually proven by now that it causes cancer or have the smoking companies bribed their way out agian?

WindDancer
I think so, Harmful substances, called carcinogens, in tobacco damage the cells in the lungs. Over time, the damaged cells may become cancerous. Of course the tobacco industry and smokers will deny that.

Correction! the substances in cigarretes. I don't think Tobacco leafs are cancerous.

Syren
Should it be banned? Gracious no. If I don't have my coffee and nicotine of a morning I'm an unbelievable b!tch all day. Or maybe I am regardless stick out tongue

Turbo-Cajun
Tabacco leaf is cancerous too im sure... wood smoke from a fireplace is a carcinogen, pot smoke (straight, unprocessed buds- part of the plant) is really cancerous.

Syren
erm I no longer smoke pot, I feared the harm I was doing to my brain cells more than the cancer aspect....

PVS
i no longer smoke pot either...because i lost all my connections laughing out loud

Turbo-Cajun
I have more brain cells than I really need... smile

One day i will quit, I just dont feel like it now...

Storm
I walk away a lot and I' m sick of it. Why should I leave a pub so they can smoke? It seems like smoking has become the norm. Why can' t a smoker leave, smoke his or her cigarette outside and enter again?

Smokers may smoke their lungs out till their hearts content but not where they inflict smoke on others.

pr1983
exactly, who says smokers rights are more important than non-smokers? in dublin u cannot smoke in a pub, u must go outside, and guess what, its a successful ban.

ragesRemorse
you see how we now say smokers and non smokers rights. What ever happend to just the peoples rights. Smoking is a right people have to choose from. Why must smokers segregate themselves from people who dont smoke, why cant non smokers just move or ask the person to refrain from smoking? Bottom line, who gives a shit, freedom is fleeting all around the world anyway.

Storm
Did that, got a no.

Why can' t smokers just move or ask the person if it' s ok to light a cigarette?

finti
I wonder how successful it will be when winter sets in

phinney6
I say it should be up to the owner of the building if smoking is allowed, after all, he DOES own it. But if its on the street, I do think it should be a right, we can't make everyone happy, but a right is a right, after all the smoker, or NON smoker can always move, if not then well there will be a disagreement, but there are MANY of the same types of disagreements, not everyone can be perefectly happy all the time, we should just make do.

pr1983
its cold most of the year here anyway, and people will either smoke less or brave the cold, almost nobody has gone against the ban here

wuTa
this was talked about before and i had a post that pissed people off...im gonna try and find it to piss more people off smile

wuTa
bah there's to much to edit and im to lazy to make a new one

Nazgulinthedark
i dont like smoking, and i ont think people should be alowed to smoke, but the government is never going to ban it, because millions are already addicted to it.

Turbo-Cajun
not to mention the millions in campaign contributions

tobacco contributions to political campaigns

Alpha Centauri
The way I see it:

Smoking is a habit that you get nothing out of but addiction. If you are gonna smoke there are better things to smoke than tobacco. Secondly, if 10 people are in a room and 1 starts to smoke, the other 9 have to deal with that person's habit. If you are in a room of people who don't like smoking, regardless of the numbers, you should wait to light up. If you walk into a room where people are ALREADY smoking, I don't think you have the right to complain.

-AC

finti
dont talk to me about cold, I am from Norway I know all about cold, still the Ireland got their band just weeks prior to Norway. The test is the winter time and so far this autumn it doesnt look god for many of the bar/pubs here in Norway. And the ban aint a populare thing here in Norway we see it as an abuse of govermental control

Turbo-Cajun
Incorrect... I enjoy smoking, threrefore smoking brings me addiction and enjoyment.

-TC

MC Mike
I think all drugs should be legal. If a person wants to f*ck themselves up, let them go for it. And let's not spend millions on them at the same time.

Scarpa
Smoking is a habit that should not be made Illeageal There only hurting themselves hell even the kids from south park agree with me.

Jedi Priestess
Ok, Im reading my local news paper tonight and what do I see? I see a picture of our IDIOT woman governor who was in town for this reason:

Gov. ****** and Insurance Commissioner ****** were in ****** today to stump for an ambitious plan to provide health insurance for uninsured people of the state.
The plan would be financed by raising tobacco taxes. The cigarette tax would increase 50 cents a pack to $1.29. The tax on other tobacco products would go from 10 percent to 15 percent.

blowup mad blowup

Ok here's my problem with this, why the F*CK are WE the ones always having to pay these extra taxes yet we get treated like crap????
And you guys wonder why we smokers are so damn hostile??? Are you kidding me???

Why the hell can't that tax go on liquor for a change? Or better yet why the heck cant it be spread to all members of the state? Oh heaven forbid, I guess they figure we smokers should pay the bulk of the taxes. Grrrrrrrrr blowup mad

Fiery Eyes
It just passed in Oklahoma to raise taxes on tobacco it starts in Jan.

HIIIIIIIIIII miss Priestesssssssssssss

Jedi Priestess
Hiya Fiery! smile My favorite spades partner.

Fiery Eyes
My bestesssssssssss friend on the internet miss ya playing spadesssssssssssssss ya quit on me gggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Jedi Priestess
Hey what can I say? It's all about Star Wars yes

yerssot
that's a pathetic rule... "let the smokers pay" ... one of the most stupid things I ever saw I think

ragesRemorse
I'm just curious, what are the better things you can smoke? Pure tobacco isnt as addictive or deadly untill the tobacco companies are done putting all of the shit in the mix.

moneypenny
I smoke (alot) but I never smoke when I'm the only one smoking. Everyone goes on about cigarettes and smoking but what about alcohol? If you want to ban something ban that. When you've smoked alot you don't end up speeding through red robots and killing other people in car accidents. Sure, smoking will possibly kill us all, but that's a choice we made. I reckon that as long as you don't subject someone else to your habit (by smoking in their homes or cars or wherever if they don't smoke) then it's no problem. They alredy charge the crap out of us, let us be.

finti
what so stupid about that if you smoke you have ot pay to get the cigies, tax them to hell and back for what I care
so why alcohol, people run red lights without being influenced by alcohol so should we ban cars too then

Jedi Priestess
OK Fin, heres my problem with that. Why isnt taxation equal? Why must we have to pay absurd taxes? Im just saying spread it around a bit.

Imperial_Samura
Tax is very rarely fare, which is why people dislike it. Throughout history taxes have often been the heaviest on alcohol, weapons and so forth. The main purpose of taxes is for revenues. Revenues are often spent in areas like healthcare, and there is a belief that cigarettes and alcohol put strains on the health care system due to the negative effects they have on health....

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>