A Mom's Day....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

shellie
we dont have to wait till Mother's day to appreciate our moms...

here's to all Moms and Mr Moms...

A Mom's Day...

My husband came home today and saw me sitting on the couch, toddler on one knee, and baby nursing on the opposite breast. I was trying to turn the pages of a book with the hand not attached to the infant, while listening to the sound of the stove buzzer, which would indicate that tonight's pork chops were at the stage between "well done" and "the dog gets tonight's entree".

My husband looked at me innocently and asked "So, did you do anything today?" It's a good thing that most of my appendages were otherwise engaged, as I was unable to jump up and throttle him to death. This was probably for the best, as I assume that asking a stupid question is not grounds for murder in this country.

Let me back up a bit and explain what led me to this point in my life. I was not always bordering on the brink of insanity. On the contrary, a mere four years ago, I had a good job, steady income, and a vehicle that could not seat a professional sports team and me comfortably. I watched television shows that were not hosted by singing puppets. I went to bed later than nine o'clock at night. I laughed at those people who drove halfway across the country hauling a tent trailer, three screaming kids, and a drooling dog and called it a holiday. Now I have become one of them!

What happened? The stick turned blue. I have traded in my Victoria's Secrets lingerie for cotton briefs and a firm support nursing bra. Good Bye Garth Brooks, Hello Barney and Big Bird. My idea of privacy is getting to use the bathroom without a 2 yr. old banging on the door and the baby spinning the toilet paper roll from my lap. And I finally understand that the term "Stay at home Mom" does not refer to a parent who no longer works outside the house, but rather to one who never seems to get out of the front door.

So, here I sit, children in hand, wondering, how to answer my beloved husband. DID I DO ANYTHING TODAY? Well, I think I did, although not much seems to have gotten accomplished. I shared breakfast in bed with a handsome young man. Of course the breakfast consisted of a bowl of porridge and leftover cookie crumbs found between the sheets. The handsome young man is about 34 inches tall and only gets excited at the sight of purple dinosaurs, toy trucks and French fries. I got to take a relaxing stroll in the woods. Of course I had to look for frogs and lizards, and had to stop and smell the dandelions along the way.

I successfully washed one load of laundry, moved the load that was in the washer into the dryer, and the dryer load into the basket. The load that was in the basket is now spread out on the bed, awaiting my bedtime decision to actually put the clothes away or merely move them to the top of the dresser.

I read two or three classics. Of course Dickens and Shakespeare cannot take credit for these works, as we have moved on to the works of Seuss and Munsch. I don't think I will be making any trips to the adult section of my local library anytime soon.

In between I dusted, wiped, organized and rearranged. I kissed away the owies and washed away the tears. I scolded, praised, hugged, and tested my patience, all before noon.

Did I do anything today?? You betcha! I will now understand what people mean when they say that parenting is the hardest job they will ever have. In my LBD (life before diapers) I was able to teach young minds how to divide fractions, write complex sentences, but I am unable to teach a strong willed 2 yr. old how to use the toilet. I was once able to navigate urban streets while talking on the car phone and looking for a decent radio station, but now I can't get the wheels on my stroller to all go in the same direction. I've graduated from a university, written newspaper articles, and won awards, but can't figure out how to get carrot stains out of the carpet. I used to debate with my friends about politics, but now we discuss the merits of cloth versus disposable. And when did I stop talking in sentences that had more than 5 words?

So in response to my husbands inquiry, yes I did do something today. In fact, I am one step closer to one of life's greatest accomplishments. No, I did not find a cure for cancer or forge world peace, but I did hold a miracle in my arms. Two in fact. My children are my greatest accomplishment and the opportunity to raise them is my greatest challenge. I don't know if my children will grow up to be great leaders or world class brain surgeons. Frankly, I don't care, as long as they grow up to be good people. They are my greatest joys, even though I sometimes cry myself to sleep at night in frustration. The point is that today I got to watch my children take another step on the great journey of life, and I even got to point out some of the sites along the way. As challenging as parenthood is, it is also equally rewarding because we are using all our wisdom, our talent and skills to help forge a new person. It is this person, these people, who in turn will use their gifts to create our future.

So every nursery rhyme I recite, every swing I push, every little hand I hold is something. And I did it today!

botankus
He was wondering if you had time to go out and buy him a case of Miller Lite.

Just kidding. Great writing, shellie, from a fellow Tarheel State-r.

Mr Parker
Yeah great writing girl.You sure lead an interesting life. big grin Wow! Its amazing how you have gone from doing a lot of major things you used to do that you cant do anymore.

Clovie
that why i don't wanna get married no expression

shellie
laughing thanks guys...but while my life was similar to such when my daughters were younger...this story isnt about me....

and im not the author

~Author Unknown~ is what shoulda gone beneath it .

anyways...at being an at-home-mom is much work...and to all who have done this...weather you are a mom or dad...i tip my hat to you .

finti
I wonder did you forget to vacuum Shel, and the case of miller needs to be put in the fridge you know eek! eek! big grin evil face

jut an ode to women from Kate Bush

THIS WOMAN`S WORK
Pray God you can cope.
I stand outside this woman's work,
This woman's world.
Ooh, it's hard on the man,
Now his part is over.
Now starts the craft of the father.

I know you have a little life in you yet.
I know you have a lot of strength left.

I should be crying, but I just can't let it show.
I should be hoping, but I can't stop thinking

Of all the things I should've said,
That I never said.
All the things we should've done,
That we never did.
All the things I should've given,
But I didn't.

Oh, darling, make it go,
Make it go away.

Give me these moments back.
Give them back to me.
Give me that little kiss.
Give me your hand.

(I know you have a little life in you yet.
I know you have a lot of strength left.)

I should be crying, but I just can't let it show.
I should be hoping, but I can't stop thinking

Of all the things we should've said,
That were never said.
All the things we should've done,
That we never did.
All the things that you needed from me.
All the things that you wanted for me.
All the things that I should've given,
But I didn't.

Oh, darling, make it go away.
Just make it go away now.

shellie
laughing sure it does...but you put the miller in the fridge yourself......right next to the breastmilk that was just pumped eek! laughing

big grin thats great sweetie...ive not heard that before .

finti
it is a very nice song as many of Kates songs are, try to download it or if you like you can pm me and I mail it to you

Myth
When is mothers day. confused

finti
whenever its time for the laundry

shellie
Myth > in May

Finti > thumb up

finti
Monika is just finished cleaning upstairs I think I`ll ask her to fetch me a beer since she is already on her feet before she busy herself cleaning the kitchen............oh she better iron my shirt I need them at work tomorrow

Baylin
You've just spent 2 hours trying to get the irritable brat to sleep, it's screamed the whole time. You know it's tired and you've tried every trick in the book but it just does not want to go to bo bo land. Anyway your right at the point where you're ready to throw it out the window then all of a sudden you realise it's stopped fighting you and is sleeping peacefully in your arms.
Given that this is quite a common occurance for parents of young children I do wonder how on earth the human race has survived this long and we still have the desire to reproduce.
It is both annoying but at the same time heart warming because you look find that as you put the sleeping angel down all of a sudden you fall back, head over heels in love with it again.

shellie

silver_tears
never having kids happy

Jackie Malfoy
Only because I am not that close to my mom(who I am at her house this weeken!)
I am closer to my dad!So I say thanks dad for being a great father!JM cool

Syren
"Ode to Mom" A mothers job is never done, Shes slaves to the bone for daughter and for son, She never has time for luxuries, she never has time for fun, All she does is work overtime, she lives life on the run, As we lie on our beds, with our bellies aching full and with mischief running through our heads, we sometimes forget to say thank you for doing the things you do, To say we love you, we know what you're going through, We thank god for our mother, For without her, we can never be, to grow up and be as wonderful, as wonderful as she.

Author Unknown

"Your beauty ..silences sounds of war
Your smile disbands hearts of stone
And virtuous souls could only abhor
A clone, a worthless rival on your throne

Beguiling youth fades not with years
It simply hides beneath wrinkled fears
Breathing life into eyes that sear
And a heart laden with fallen tears

Dear Mother..
I, the strain akin to pain..
The mist resembling falling rain.
Traveling swiftly along your vein
My love for you has only grown..
You must have known..you reign alone

I look beyond the clouds of time
Beyond words that rhyme and bells that chime
I see a soul intent, a heart sublime..
Reminding me softly of my innocent crime
'tis you, who crushed me to my knees
With words that haunt once deafened ears
And now a deja vu of imminent truth
Echoing words to MY precious youth

You knew back then
Such words I'd pen Oil nearly spent
You came and went and left your scent...
I now repent.I now lament ..
Childhood days.. I circumvent

There you are the wind beneath my wings
Your lure, unwavering, it only clings
Your beauty, obstinate to time's questionings
Affording you the luxury and liberty
Of endearing bountiful vanity

Worthy you are, of prodigal praise
To see through haze and anguished maze...
Vanquished ills soon perish with maternal gaze
A tour de force, only a Master could trace
'Tis you, who cast the spell,
'tis why the curtain fell,
As audience in awe,
reaches for a higher place,
lulled into a state of grace."

Grace Halabi

Nazgulinthedark
Mr. Mom
Lone Star

Lost my job, came home mad
Got a hug and kiss and that's too bad
She said I can go to work until you find another job
I thought I like the sound of that
Watch TV and take long naps
Go from a hand working dad to being Mr. Mom

Well
Pampers melt in a Maytag dryer
Crayons go up one drawer higher
Rewind Barney for the fifteenth time
Breakfast, six naps at nine
There's bubble gum in the baby's hair
Sweet potatoes in my lazy chair
Been crazy all day long and it's only Monday
Mr. Mom

Football, soccer and ballet
Squeeze in Scouts and PTA
And there's that shopping list she left
That's seven pages long
How much smoke can one stove make
The kids won't eat my charcoal cake
It's more than any maid can take
Being Mr. Mom

Well
Rewind Barney for the sixteenth time
Been crazy all day long and it's only Monday
Mr.Mom

Before I fall in bed tonight
If the dog didn't eat the classifieds
I'm gonna look just one more time

'Cause
Rewind Barney for the eighteenth time
Been crazy all day long
Oh been crazy all day long and it's only Monday
Mr.Mom

Balancin' checkbooks, juggling bills
Thought there was nothing to it
Baby, now I know how you feel
What I don't know is how you do it

big gay kirk
Yup... as a Mr Mom, I can say that's all true.... I don't know what it's like anywhere else, but we seem to get a lot less sympathy here than single mums... whenever I say I'm a single dad, I get told that seeing the kids every other saturday doesn't count... when I say that my ex ife can't even be bothered to phone her ten year old son up to se how he is, and only sees him in school holidays and then only if he rings her and asks, they all go a bit quiet and turn away.... sorry.... shouldn't moan, but we've just had a bit of a row over maintenance... I believe she should be paying some, and stupidly asked her for some cash for school clothes... apparently that's unreasonable....

shellie
sadly , too many times Mr Moms are over looked . its not fair . i know both single moms and single dads and more times then not...the single moms get more support and (even though know ones asking for it) sympothy for her situation . the single dads get the kinda attitude that says...."thats the least you can do" or "now you see what we moms go through"..............as if they ever thought it was a walk in the park to begin with .

i admire all single parents for the strength the have to raise their kids alone.....yes alone...cause lots of times thats how it is. an occasional check and visit from the other parent is hardly parenting at all .

Alpha Centauri
Mamaaaaa ooooh oooohwoooo.....

Just doing my Freddie Mercury impression.

-AC

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.