Van Helsing

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Lord Soth
Who else is looking foward to Van Helsing? I heard it's gonig to be really good. I like Hugh Jackman, he's a great actor.

Kate Beckinsale(Underworld) is in it too, which could make the movie even better (expect a derogatory response from BackFire big grin )

Anyway, What do you think?

(I'm just kidding, BackFire, I love ya man big grin big grin )

pablo007
Yeah it will rock cuz there's a lot of classic monsters and Stephen Sommers is a great director.

Lord Soth
I totally agree. Many people don't appreciate him for the The Mummy or Deep Rising, but I think he's brilliant. He deserves a movie that's a box-office hit and has the critics raving

BackFire349
i am SO sick of the vampire craze, i have yet to see a good one recently.

Kes
I really wanna see this movie smile
Of course I'm a big Hugh Jackman fan wink

Lord Soth
Spell Jackman right and then I'll believe you big grin big grin big grin

Lord Soth
No offense intended: I'm just like that.

Kes
What do you mean? whistle

BackFire349
hah, the power to edit. gotta love it.

Kes
laughing out loud

BackFire349
yeah, you arent that sneaky girl smile

Kes
lol Well I have an excuse! In my native tongue the letter "k" doesnt exist in the alphabet so...whistle

BackFire349
excuses....every girls got one.

Lord Soth
Too true, too true. Btw, what is you native tongue (I'm huge language freak)?

Kes
Portuguese is my native tongue seeing as I am from Portugal stick out tongue lol

sugarxen
...question: does anyone know if the van helsing movie is based off of the anime hellising? i know the character appeared in the first dracula movie i just don't know if it was carried on to other genres. and i really want to see this movie too, 2004 is sooo faaaar away! blink and totally agree with Kes, Hugh jackman is muito cute! eek!

Kes
All I read is that it is the same character that Anthony Hopkins plays in Dracula. Is early hunting days.

Lord Soth
The movie has ntohing to do w/ anime. It's based on the old legend of Malachi Van Helsing, a vampire hunter from the 19th century. Except in the movie, they add Frankenstein's monster and the Wolfman in addition to Dracula. Neat, huh? rolling on floor laughing

BackFire349
oh goody, another crossover, how original. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Lord Soth
I figured you'd say something like that big grin big grin big grin big grin

BOPRecruit 16
so what's van helsing going to be about? the pix and having hugh in it, looks great from here already!

sugarxen
that does sound good! vampires, frankstein and were-wolves oh my ( teehee couldn't help myself laughing )

TheMonster21
I think this Movie will be awesome. I cant wait till it comes out,Im so excited. Hugh Jackman is great and it is abut time he gets a lead role. The chick from Underworld is just simply hot. and I cant wait to see Dracula Human form and Monster Form. The custome on JackMan is great. Last ut not lease The Wolfman and Frankenstein look very promising.

BOPRecruit 16
the movie comes out on may 21st of 2004.

Kes
Yeh cant wait, thou this isnt Jackman's 1st leading role.

TheMonster21
Does anybody any other info. on this movie, I have tried to look for News everywhere, but it is hardto find. All I know is that there will be a TV series regarding the Movie in Oct. 2004.I think it will be called Transylvania...

T-1000

BarmyBrummie
ERM...... LINK!!!!!!

Kes
Go to the apple site...or check www.killermovies.com

BarmyBrummie
Nevermind i found it myself.
WOW, this movie is gonna RULE!!!! Whats up with Hugh's accent though?

Kes
Well you know its the 19th century and Ven Helsing was played by Anthony Hopkins in Bram Stokers' Dracula so they could be playing with that.
Trailer looks cool!

Carlcsw
This trailer looks good, cant wait to see this film. Too bad we have to wait till May 2004. Well lets hope another trailer comes out in another month or two.

Kate Beckinsale is in it as well, hmmmmm. I wonder if shes gonna make a sequel to Underworld and dress up in that tight leather again.

Sorry that I cant add a link, this forum wont let me till im more well known.

Fallen Jedi
It looks good. I just hope its not another League of Extrodinary Gentlemen.

Lord Soth
I'd watch it, but my comp. sucks, I'm afraid it'd blow up on me

BarmyBrummie
I got some screencaps from the trailer, this ones dracula

BarmyBrummie
A cool one of the wolfman

BarmyBrummie
and frankenstein

BarmyBrummie
I think this one should be a banner for the movie

thorC
wow ! cool! What!!!! do i have to wait till MAY!!.

namarie
I don't kown Van hellsing (anime/ manga) very much, but... it seems those are related (For alcard and the family of hunters) but it seema as well some deny such relation? What can you tell me??

BarmyBrummie
They were going to make a van helsing cartoon

SaTsuJiN
It looks too much like LXG in my opinion. I really dont like jokes or so called 'funny scenes that break the tension'. I actually enjoy being on the edge of my seat throughout a movie. I guess its fine... nothing particularly special about it

JKozzy
Gotta agree with ya SaTsuJiN, looks way too much like LXG... which was bad. We don't need another. The trailers are almost exactly identical, which isn't a good start. sad

Lord Soth
Yes, it did, but Stephen Sommers is the writer/director of Van Helsing, which I think counts for something. He also wrote/directed The Mummy, which was awesome. He does really well with monster movies, so give the movie a chance before dissing it.

SaTsuJiN
I hope he wasnt responsible for the hot trash that was also called "The scorpion king".

As for helsing, they turned it into a lxg ripoff cinematically. I dont know about the helsing character itself, but with this trailer they are definately starting off on the wrong foot.

KharmaDog
I dunno, looks not-to-bad. I am just interested how they plat the character of Van Helsing, he's a very dark character, so dark that he makes Bat Man look like snoopy.

Lord Soth
He wasn't stick out tongue

Crash Overload
New Movie. Do they mean that Cool dude from Dracula Book?

VengeanceGOD
Yes...kinda. Van Helsing was never a Hugh Jackman played badass in the books. He was a weird old man. But this character is loosely based on him. It's by the same guy who did the Mummy.

BarmyBrummie
Yeah, Stephen Sommers is director. Van Helsing sees Hugh Jackman as the title character and in his quest to fight evil, he comes up against Frankenstein, The Wolfman and Dracula himself. Kate Backingsale plays Rose, Helsings love interest. I suggest you check out the trailer, there is a thread for it somewhere on this forum big grin

RemyLeBeau
Il give ya a lil head s up on VH. The only man for the job ahd to be Hugh is what Sommers said, He wnated a man not a nancy prancy boy. And as we all know Hugh is in fact a man!! Just look at his portayal of Wolverine. Kate plays his love intrest le beautiful yet firesy Anaa Valeriuos. Her brother Velkan is the Wolf Man. She is part of a fmily whih has been plagued by a terrible curse and she means to rid them of it. Dracula is trying to take over the world basicaly by having theses other monsters aid him. There is also besindes Frankenstien Wolfamn and Dracula,.Mr. Hyde a.k.a. Dr Jeykll as well that Hugh has to face. It is completeley different from LXG ans is in no way a rip for the storyline was actually in progress before LXG was started. This film is going to rock!! just my 2 cents for the day.

BarmyBrummie
Thanx for the heads up big grin thumb up

lil tears
The trailer looks wicked eek!
Hugh looks like he does a wicked job!! and he has a great bod!!

Cinemaddiction
LXG ripoff? In no way is it an LXG rip off.

In LXG, a bunch of fabled movie legends banded together and took on a central character.

In this one, Van Helsing, who is historically known as Dracula's hunter, just hunts down some of Universal Pictures famous monsters.

The premise is sort of the same, but does that even really matter? It's just a fun monster movie!

The CGI monsters look a little TOO CGI, but I'm guessing it will pan out alright on the silver screen.

lil tears
Exactly, in LXG the "monsters" are the heroes basically whereas here the "monsters" are being hunted.

Cinemaddiction
Has anyone seen "The Monster Squad" or "Destroy All Monsters"? It's not exactly a brand new idea. Why not be critical of THOSE movies as well?

Just relax. It's a cool idea, that will probably have more appeal than LXG.

BarmyBrummie
the website has been updated and so has the trailer big grin

check it out at http://www.vanhelsing.net

Crash Overload
Oooooooooooooooooo, My thread has been Merged COOL!

ThuggnBLUE
THE MONSTER SQUAD....YEH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that movie kicked booty. Is it available on DVD?

Cinemaddiction
There are a few petitions floating around to get it released. Older 80's movies like "Space Camp" and "Little Monsters" are on their way out, so I don't think it will be much longer.

BOPRecruit 16
does anyone have the link to the van helsing trailer that's not at kmc?

Kes
http://www.vanhelsingmovie.com/

BarmyBrummie
there isn't 2 trailers for the movie. They have altered the first one in different places. I think this one is better than the original trailer they made.

VenomVA
Why are they promoting Van Helsing so much? Are they that scared it's gonna flop? Doesn't look like it will but they are showing it on TV wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too much, DAMN!

Also does anyone know his (Van Helsing's) story....I thought he had some kind of secret or changes into something....maybe I have the wrong person.

eleveninches
Probably cos it has hugh jackman in it.

VenomVA
But he's a big star now, he doesn't need all the press

Evy_O
They promoted the Matrix a lot too, nobody complained stick out tongue
And many people saw it just because every three posters you could see Neo's face roll eyes (sarcastic)

Btw, Van Hellsing isn't really promoted all that much here messed

Kaleanae
Or here, maybe is because I don't watch Tv that much messed

kiwibloom
he dosent change into anything but there really was an abraham van helsing he never fought the wolfman or frankenstien though! but it is said that he did wish to kill the real dracula (vlad the impaler) for his inhuman crimes during war in Romania but it is not for sure or anything! Happy Dance

speiderman
yawns.

silver_tears

silver_tears
He was created by Bram Stoker, and this new movie just goes deeper into his affairs I think erm

Instead of little parts in Vampire Movies here and there big grin

quiball
I'm looking forward to it too
and it isn't promoted that much here

xmen fan
yeah i am too! it's gunna kick butt!it comes out this friday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOT! Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance
: celebrates

xmen fan
srry,i'm a lil crazy bout movies! yes wacko

johnny.d girl
comes out thursday???
bummer i'm gonna have 2 wait another month or so coz i live in australia!!!!! grrrrrrrrr
but i can't wait till out eather

BOPRecruit 16
silver tears: so the movie takes place in 1890-1899 range, according to that history thing you posted? i'm trying to find out the years to this movie so that i can and would help me write my van helsing story.

BarmyBrummie
I can't wait to see van helsing, its gonna rok big grin

mumygrl
If you want to see a little more on Van Helsing, check out this website:www.local 6 .com. they even have the interviews and you can win stuff from it. Good luck!! Can't wait to see this movie!~~

Lord Soth
huh I started this thread forever and a freaking day ago...

I've heard 3 different versions of his name: The original is Abraham, I once saw a movie where his name is Malachi, but it seems his name in Gabriel in this one...(implying from the trailer).

Just to clarify, there is no connection between Van Helsing and Alucard from the anime Hellsing. I'm tired of hearing people mix them up. They are not alike in the slightest.

JKozzy
Will VH suck like LxG? Or will it be good? Cuz it originally looked like an LxO clone to me, but hey, if it looks good, I hope it's good. Just promoted WAY too much here too.

burlyman
laughing out loud The director didn't like Abraham so he changed it to Gabriel:

"Right off the top, I knew I didn't like the name Abraham, I just don't like it. I couldn't name my lead guy Abraham. There's a reason why he's called Gabriel as well. We've got a different story to tell here..."

dber

eleveninches
Its out in UK on thursday. is it worth going to see?

johnny.d girl
OF CORSE IT WILL BE
its gonna be out this thursdat in australia 2!!!! i can't wait till it comes out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BOPRecruit 16
does anyone know what year this movie is supposed to take place?

johnny.d girl
the 1800's i think.........but i'm not 2 sure on that

BOPRecruit 16
i know silver tears said around the 1890's to late 1899. but i want a more exact year.

xmen fan
hmmm,me and my parents are going to see it the sunday after it comes out,i bet it's gunna be cool!are ya'll going to see it? blink

fini
hmmm dont know how this movie will turn out. When i first saw the poster for this movie i THOUGHT that they had made a movie from the ANIME CARTOON called Hellsing.

NOW that series is wayyyyyyyyy wicked, one of the best vampire series i've ever seen. NOw if they could make that into a movie it will kick butt.

Myth
Hellsing the anime sucks. I don't like anime anyway but my roomate loves anime and he even hated it.

Holcomb
I heard this movie is getting a lot of bad reviews, is that true?

Lord Soth
Absolutely not. Stephen Sommers knows his stuff

eleveninches
Which should I go and see? VH or Punisher?

Lord Soth
Quite the contrary, many are excited

WindDancer
There has been a ton of promotion going on here. I will go see it tomorrow. I'm being neutral as far as reviews and stuff. But if it sucks....trust me! I will unload my comments very heavy. wink

Besides, nothing could posibly more worse than LXG. But then again...who knows?. confused

kimahri03
its out today here

i_love_keanu
I have just seen the advance screening of Van Helsing, I thaught it was really good!!!

I think that if you enjoued LOTR and League of Extrordinary Gentlemen you should go and see it!!!

TheProgramSmith
what does that have to do with the matrix? Not trying to be mean, but this is the matrix section.

forumcrew
yea this doesnt belong here and i saw it a few days ago its ok nothing special if you liked the league i suppose you would like crap so this would be great

((The_Anomaly))
MATRIX??????? What the f**k?

drunk_nazgul
I wish I could see it....
Maybe in three weeks, on the last day of school...

shake zula
MMOOOOOOVVVE!!!!!

i was going for subtlety there...

eleveninches
I think ill go and see it 2morrow. I mean today.

JKozzy

Myth
laughing

Lord Soth
Well, I'm disappointed that so few people are excited (so unlike whgat I thought would be going on). I when to Rottentomatoes.com and VH got a 24% rating.....well they can all kiss my ass laughing

johnny.d girl
only 24%??????? well that site must b crappy coz i think its gonna b the best movie so far!!!!!!! i'm gonna go c it next thursday!!! yaaaaaaayyyy!!!!!!!

Myth
Keep telling yourself that john-girl.

ArrghPirateGirl
Im cing it next thursday 2 LOL and your coming with me LOL So JDG what is happen them anyway???

JKozzy
I might see it today, yay! eek!

Lord Shadow Z
I saw a program about the making of Van Helsing on MTV and I gotta say it doesn't look that impressive. Does anyone know that the CGI looks completely crap for the wolfman and the flying vampire woman, the accents are horrible ( 'Dracula dead and loving it' trannsylvanian accents mind) and how on gods green earth has Van Helsing got all these hi-tech weapons and gadgets in that time. All he should have is a stake, a hammer and a cross. AND HE'S CALLED GABRIEL!!! sick sick

Aku
IT SUCKS, I BET ITS GOING TO, HUGH JACKMAN IS CAMP, THAT ***** IS WELL UGLY AND LETS FACE IT ITS MADE BY THE MUMMY AND MUMMY RETURNS MAKER!!!!!

Bad boys bad boys, whatcha gunna do!?

pipschick
I'm off to see it next Tuesday (11th) so looking forward to it big grin

Vash1983
wink Don't know if this could be true... but the name and storyline of "Van Helsing", bares striking resemblence to the Anime series "Hellsing". Even the main characters almost look the same (red coat, black coat). P.S - The main character (Van) also seem to bare some resemblence to "D" from "Vampire Hunter-D" - as does the storylines. What gives??? Did the director say anything about this?? ; or is it yet ANOTHER story-line-robbery - like the creators of "The Matrix" did with "Ghost in the Shell".

Myth
I love being right. I just read more reviews about how bad this movie is. Looked shitty, and apparently is shitty. Way way way over the top. laughing It makes me angry but I find it so funny at the same time when people get pumped about these movies and then they are shit as I predicted them to be.

ArrghPirateGirl
Yeah thats a bit annoying but im still cing it anyway

eleveninches
I must go and see it tommorrow.

johnny.d girl
yeah i'm going 2 c it anyway 2

BOPRecruit 16
i can't believe that the eye magazine only gave it two stars! mad man, those reviewers can never say something positive about the movie. they rarely give it good ratings. *argh*

Myth
I have not heard one single good review or rating of this movie. Apparently it is flat out AWEFUL! laughing

Lord Soth
You have to remember that NONE of the movie critics are the movie's target audience, so what THEY say really doesn't matter

Cinemaddiction
Critics are for those people who are too feebleminded, or lazy to make their own decisions.

Despite whatever reviews are put out, I will see it for myself, make my own opinion, and have seen the movie to where I can come back and debate strengths and weaknesses.

Lord Soth
^precisely

Myth
Critics and reviews can come in handy for determining what movies are worth my money. If it were free, I'd go and then gladly rip it apart. But from the sounds of it, there isn't much depth to the movie and I am pretty sure it would be retarded IMO. Thats what critics are good for.

Lord Soth
Yes, but their opinion should not effect yours. If I decided that I want to see a movie, I go to see it no matter what people say. More often than not, I end up loving it anyway

pipschick
Exactly how i feel about films Lord Soth...i like to make up my own mind about films..i usually end up loving most of them smile

JKozzy
Critics are dumb, they really are. We're not looking for an intellectual life-changing movie, we're looking for a fun time, which Van Helsing certainly delivered. yes

Phoenix
I just saw Van Helsing, its so good! I loved Karl (sp?)

"Actually, I'm just a Friar..."

Phoenix
go to www.vanhelsing.net that has some good reviews

It is a very good film, with comedy, action and just a dash of romance. theres some very good acting moments, and I was never bored

Phoenix
and, actually, not to be a huge spod and all, but the way you've spelt awful (('aweful')) is actually how I view the film! I was full of awe! wink

Myth
Well of course vanhelsing.net is going to put good the few good reviews on its site. They aren't going to say "This is a bad movie, don't watch it" on a Van Helsing site.

Jkozzy- You may be looking for a fun time in the style of non stop action, but I like more depth to my movies. I criticize movies and therefore don't end up "loving most of them." If everybody ended up liking all movies then yes, we would not have any use for critics but thats not the case.

SenshiNaka
I thought it was going to suck and it did. I got to see it free so i took the chance.

Lord Soth
It's common knowledge that no one's going to put negative reviews of a movie on their own site, but it does show us that there are a few good ones. Roger Ebert, the only movie critic I really listen to, even gave it 3 stars

And while a movie becomes more meaningful if it has a lot of depth to it, it can also make the movie boring. I mean look at Kill Bill. There is not all that much depth to it, but it's one of the funnest movies I've ever seen, you can certainly relate. While Lord of the Rings has about as much depth as you can get, I even thought it was tedious at times.

johnny.d girl
is it really that bad???..........bummer i was looking forward 2 it!
ah well i'm still going 2 c it next thursday!!! don't care wot ppl say!

Lord Soth
Well good for you then

johnny.d girl
big grin big grin big grin big grin big grin Happy Dance

Lord Soth
This was my favorite shot from the movie big grin big grin

JKozzy
I like depth to my movies too, but this movie was one without much depth, and was just action and fun. I'm willing to see a movie for its fun action, or for its depth, either type of movie is usually entertaining to me in its own way; this wasn't a bad movie at all, but it can't compare to LOTR, Star Wars, Quentin Taratino Movies or the Matrix. There's not enough to make three or four threads about it really, much less a forum. Movies with that sort of depth, everyone can tell what they are. I wasn't looking for a deep plot ot VH, and there wasn't one, but it doesn't mean that without depth there isn't a good movie right in front of you. And I don't trust critics. Sure, some might like a movie and some might hate it. Usually they're right in a general sense, like Gigli was horrid and ROTK was a masterpiece, but it depends on what you look for in a movie. If it has a reasonably good and well executed plot, and doesn't look like slop, anything has a chance to be a good movie, which in my case, Van Helsing was worthwhile. Not a 10.5/10 or 9/10, I'd probably rate it 7-7.5/10, that doesn't mean it's spectacular or horrid, but it had more upsides than downsides.

And Soth---- nice screen there big grin

quiball
most of the movies based on old fictions are not accurate. i mean, if VH was some old man like he was in the comic, do you think all these lovesick girls would go running to the cinemas?

xmen fan
i am going to see it today,i think it will be AWSOME! but not everyone may like things like that! no offence,but i think it will rule!

ArrghPirateGirl
im cing it on thursday with JDG and Kazzie

ragesRemorse
a good idea gone very very wrong. What a bad movie. where was the dialogue? I mean i can look past the fact that there was no story what so ever but there was hardly any dialogue. No to mention in cosistant action

A.D. Skinner
Okay...I don't usually come on here and speak of movies...but after viewing Van Helsing I just couldn't resist !!!

What a absolute flop of a movie !

First and foremost...in the first 5 minutes what was with Mr. Hyde ??? I thought I had stumbled into League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and it only got worse after that. Wolfman and Frankenstein looked liked they should have...but what was with Count Dracula ??? Did we really need a vampire with a pony tail ??? This seemed all too much like League of Extraordinary Gentlemen meets Underworld.

Has Kate Beckinsale been type cast to now only star in movies about Vampires ??? Hey...I am all for it, give her some ice blue contact lenses..put her in latex and "BAM" you have a instant blockbuster...

...but Van Helsing is one to pass up ! For those that have already spent the money and seen it...I do understand your pain.....for those that have yet to see it....save your money and stay at home and pluck your nose hairs...I garuntee it will be more enjoyable !

BOPRecruit 16
what are the names of dracula's brides? i'm asking for i'm planning out a fanstory. plus, what exact year does this take place?

BarmyBrummie
All the reviews i have read in movie magz and that have all said Van Helsing is an excellent movie with high ratings yes

Kes
I think they are called:
Cardinal Jinette, Verona and Marishka.
Marishka is the only one I'm sure of.

yerssot
hmmm, gonna post it here and subscribe myself to it, just a reminder that I have to go see it with friends on wednesday

pipschick
Thank you for the advise to stay at home...but i like to make up my own mind when seeing a film.

A.D. Skinner
Thank you pipschick, as my opinion was only that...

Do what you must ! stick out tongue

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>