Is the Necronomicon real?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

eggmayo
The one in the Evil Dead, I mean.
I went onto google and it said it was a book that pre-dated lovecraft?
was it actually inked in blood and was it evil and sumerian?

HockeyHorror
i know that any kind of craft was studied centuries ago but the Necronomicon might have been real but it might have had a different name.

Gregory
No; the idea that the Necronomicon is some sort of Sumerian magic book is a hoax, and dates back to a fellow named Ed Simon.

HockeyFace
Is the Necronomicon the Egyptian Book of the Dead. Just thought that since Necro means dead.

Gregory
The Necronomicon is a fictional book created by Lovecraft. It doesn't really exist.

RobBo
Actually yes it does but not in the form that HPL describes, nor in the stupid published forms.

BAFilmworks
Technically the Necronomicon exist, in many forms actually. Do any of them predate the essay "History of the Necronomicon," by H.P. Lovecraft? No, I'm afraid. No, I'm sorry, but any site reporting the validity of the Necronomicon as seen in the Evil Dead films is full of it. Sam Raimi admits that he got the idea in a college literature class whilst studying H.P. Lovecraft. The fictional Necronomicon most well reckognized is indeed Simon's but there have been many versions that even predate that one. For an interesting history of the various hoax Necronomicons check out the book "The Necronomicon Files," I borrowed it from the bookstore that I work at and it's quite the interesting read.

RobBo
The actual Necronomicon is not called the Necronomicon, the clue to it's content is the in the name...Necronomicon: literally " The List Of Dead Names".

The book that influenced HPL was a grimoire that was set out in it's established form in the early 14th century and is actually still in print today.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.