Wild Card sucks [merged]

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

NiceGuynj
I believe there should be no Wild card not because I'm hating(I'm a Yankees fan).But why play 160 games and bust your A$$ trying to win your division rather the crusing into the wild card play all those damn games.It makes no sense at all.And there should be a bigger penalty then not having that extra day at home advantage.The wild card is an easy way to make it to the wolrd series.Sad.

badsymbiote
I disagree. I thought baseball playoffs were fairly dull before the installment of the wild card.

I do agree that it reduces the chances for the very best teams in MLB to win the World Series simply because there are more teams in contention, but it also creates more competition--you no longer HAVE to dominate your division to get a legitimate shot at it.

A 162-game season can seem to drag on forever--especially if you knew you had to play the balance of those 162 games with no shot at even touching the leader of your division or league. Try that on for motivation--you're 15, 20 or 25 games behind the best team in your league at the All-Star Break. An unenviable situation, for sure. Thanks to the wild card, you can be 2nd best (or 3rd, or even 4th) and still have a legitimate shot at a pennant. I like that.

NiceGuynj
Yeah but again why the hell play 162 games they give you to catch up to the leader.At least have a bigger penalty.

DanZeke25
i agree with badsymbiote....

forumcrew
i started to type a long thing, but badsymbiote said enough, because the initial argument was so weak and stupid and not thought out its not worth a detailed explination

NiceGuynj
Short and sweet why the hell play 162 games for nothing and win your division for a loop hole.....bigger penalty.

forumcrew
theres no loop hole, what if the the second place theam in your division is better then a first place team of another division its not fair, expecially when that second place team beat the 1st place team in their own division more during the season and in the playoffs.

DanZeke25
^^^^ exactly... say one team wins 105 games and is the most in the majors... and then the second best team... with 104 wins... is in the same division and doesn't get to make the playoffs cause of thats.... i think the wild card is great...

Mr Parker
Some people say they lost interest in dont follow baseball anymore because of the 1994 strike.That was a long time ago and they need to get over that.thats a stupid reason to not follow baseball.MY reason and I got a much better reason for why I have lost interest in baseball is well two actually,number one the baseball owners tore down classic ballparks like old comisky and tiger stadium,Tragedy,that should be a crime.but number two,It pissed me off when they started that stupid 3 way wild card division race.I feel the team that has the best record is the one that should move on and the ones that finish in second or worse should stay home.If that stupid 3 way wild card division thing was not in place,the read sox would not have advanced to the world series.No I am not a yankee lover,I hate the yankees.But I dont think the red sox rightfully won a the world series title since they finished in 2nd.

forumcrew
first we already had a discusion on this, second its been explained why there MUST be a wild card.. ill sum it up for you Boston beat NY more times then NY beat Boston in the regular season AND playoffs, they also swept the angels and cardinals (who had the best record) which shows you the record doesnt mean that much! Boston was the best team bottom line. PLus 2 really good teams could be in 1 division and 1 team could finish 2 or 3 back but have a better record then the 1st place team in a different division and that wouldnt be fair therefore the wildcard is needed, baseball playoffs are 5 and 7 game series, if the WC teams didnt deserve to be there then they would lose every round because a team cant beat someone who is better in a best of 5 or 7 that often

wuTa
they didnt tear down tiger stadium...where do you think they filmed the movie 61

Shaolin Monk
perfect ^

last 3 world series won by wild card teams...all outplayed the rest

NiceGuynj
Yes someone who also hated the woldcard like me and I'm the one with that other discussion.Suckaaaa

Mr Parker
oh please, major league baseball was doing just fine without that idiotic 3 way wild card race. mad

forumcrew
i didnt say they werent doing fine, but they are doing better now, because the playoffs and the end of the season is far more exciting, it gives teams more chances to make it to the playoffs.. bottom line its a good rule thats why other sports use it too, and it brings more excitement to the game.. you dont have any reasons why its bad other then they dont deserve it, but how do they win the WS so much if they dont deserve it thats 11 wins against teams that are apparantly way better in your eyes

Mr Parker
Well just like the old saying goes if its not broke then dont fix it.It wasnt broke before so no need to damage it. mad I will forever hate baseball and never like it because just like i said,I think the team that finishes second or worse should stay home and the team that finishes first should move on.thats the way it was in the beginning,thats the way it should have stayed. mad you like it,but Im never going to like it.

NiceGuynj
Boston wasn't a great team they were good but not great it's proven fact that The Yankees totally ruined themselves and The Cardinals didn't play half of what they played all season long Yankees and Cradinals let the Red Sox take it and didn't do anything about it.

If you wnat great team try the 1984 Tigers or 1998 Yankees allright.

DanZeke25
the red sox were a great team... i don't no how u are not a great team is u sweep the Angels.. come back from 3-0 to to the Yankees.. and then sweep the Cardinals.... if u win the World Series ur a great team.. except when some of the Yankee teams one.. cuase they just buy it

forumcrew
they can only do that if they switch the divisions around every year, or just make an AL division and an NL division and take the top 4 teams from each to the playoffs, with all the small breakdowns it just isnt fair to not have the wild card.. if you cant understand that fact life must be hard for you..

Mr Parker
its totally fair.Finish first with just two divisions like it used to be,that one should move on,finish second,you should stay home.It was just great before the way it was,it sucks now.

Shaolin Monk
What's your favorite MLB team? I'm curious, because most ppl that don't like the wild card are ppl who's team lost to a wild card team in the playoffs...one of the reasons I like the wild card is because it extends the baseball season...leads right into NCAA basketball big grin

NiceGuynj
As a yankees fan yes it's true at don't like the Red Sox's but I've alwyas hated the wild card and if a team has too bust there @$$ to win there division and only get one extra day at home.A bigger penalty should be laid on any wild card team.If it's fair for wildcard temas to be in the playoffs it should be fair to have more breathing room after busting your @$$ in the regular season. stupid smiling face ;D

forumcrew
that didnt answer any of my points nor does it show how it is fair to not have it.. give one reason that actually responds to something I said..

NiceGuynj
forumcrew give me one reason why that the wild card deserve not to be penalized at all.

forumcrew
first of all i was talking to mr parker, secondly you must not of read my post if your asking this..

the WC team is at WORST the 4th best team in their league they could be the 2nd best, to me that doesnt deserve to be penalized.. maybe they should make a penalty for them of some sort, the WC team should play the top team in their leage first round, and if they really didnt deserve to be there they would get eliminated every time

Mr Parker
Well I was TRYING to be a royals fan this year.I had gotten hope that after last year they were FINALLY going to turn things around and be a competive team again but that will never happen as long as David Glass-I mean david a$$ is the owner.All that guy cares about is making money from his walmart business,he does not care about fielding a competitive team like ewing kauffman did.many people have been brainwashed by the media into believing that the royals are a small market team because they have such a small payroll,well they DO have a small pay roll but thats only because david a$$ chooses to.He could if he wanted,keep all his good players they let go like Carlos beltran,michael tucker,ect,because he actually makes more money than george steinbreener, only he chooses not to have a huge bank role like steinbreener does so I have become disenchanted with the royals latley because of that and have turned to their minor league team now here in kansas city the t-bones because I cant continue rooting for a team thats just going to develop their players for other clubs. so thats one more reason I am turned off by major league baseball and sick of it because its teams like the yankees and red sox who have such big payrolls and can go out and buy any player in the world they want,its teams like that that represent everything thats wrong with baseball. again,you can see me being the royals fan that I am,I hate the yankees with a passion so I am not one of those people who because the yankees lost the playoffs hates the wild card,I hated it every bit as much back in 94 when they first started it BEFORE the yankees got good obviously as much as I do now for the reasons I already mentioned.I totally hate Steinbreener and the yankees so it did not make me upset that they did not go to the series.but I hate the wild card even worse.I think it makes the season way too long also.

but yeah,the royals are my favorite team and I suppose no matter how bad they are year in and year out,I'll always root for them because at one time they were a world series team and fun to watch and I at least still have those fond memorys to remember them by.but thats who my favorite team is.

Mr Parker
sure it did,you just cant see how stupid it is to have the wild card that you only want to see your own point of view.I already mentioned,it wasnt broke so there was no reason to fix it,it was fine just the way it was,no need to change the way it always has been.having the DH in the american league they adopted in 1973,was a good change,a very good one actually.The wild card? totally stupid and not at all neccessary.

Shaolin Monk
You are right about the Royals administration...and it's good to know you're not a bitter Yankee fan like some others on this board...

Do you hate the wild card in just baseball, or in all sports?

Mr Parker
Pretty much in just baseball.I hate basketball so I dont care one way or another there.Football I like it,baseball I dont,never will.

forumcrew
i can see other point of views but you didnt have one, your only point is you liked it better before, me and others have had much more factual reasons why we think its a good idea, and you dont seem to have an answer for any of them.. by the way im a die hard Mariners fan, so I know what its like 100 times over with the royals and dealing with teams like boston and NY in the post season.. but i still dont see a reason the WC is un fair

DanZeke25
yeah i cant see how its unfair too... if a Wild Card team doesn't deserve to be on the playoffs then they shouldn't be winning the World Series! Come one... if one team wins 104 games and another team in the same division wins 104 games... and the next best record is 93 wins... tell me why they don't deserve to be in the playoffs...

Samas-adian
Parker, the DH rule takes out the strategy in the American League. I always felt the National League's game is a tad better.

forumcrew
yea id take out the DH before id take out the WC

DanZeke25
^^^yeah

forumcrew
GP:
id say either merge this into offseason discusion or just close it up because theres not really any more discusion to be had just arguments im sure

darthfirerock
wild card is great. baseball had the highest attendance ever this past season, and its been rising every year since the wild card was implimented.
wild cards have won 3 straight ws and there does seem to be an advantage. probably has a lot to do with winning the wild card means that the particular team was getting hot at the end of the year. they didn't do well enough at the start but finished with a bang so more than likely they are the hottest team going into the playoffs.
a simple solutionwould be to go from 30 to 32 teams, so you could have 4 divisions of 4 on each league. there would still be a wild card winner ofcourse and the division winner with the worst record has a 3 game series in a pigtail bracket to move on to play the no.1 seed. it would legitimize the wc, and at the same time make it a little tougher, so when a wc wins, there really was no stopping them.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.