Is a big age difference bad?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Merry Lover
A friend of mine made out with a 23 year old and she's only 15. My other friend thinks that disgusting because the age difference is way too big. I don't think it's bad at all, I find myself liking older men more than boys my age (I'm 16). So... Who's right? Me or my friend? confused

Syren
Ah, I'd have to say that your friend is in a dangerous position, more so than you, simply because she's only 15 and you are of age. Actually, where are you from?

yerssot
got a backflash... isn't there a thread about this already?

anyway... it's nothing to do about right or wrong between you and your buddies, it's a personal thing that varies with everyone

Syren
I was gonna point that out til I read the initial post, then I kinda forgot embarrasment

wicker_man
To be honest in the UK you do see allot of younger ladies going out with older men, i've spoken to many on this matter and they predominately say it is due to older guys knowing how to treat them, in regards to your (Merry Lovers) question i don't think theres really a right answer, more varied opinions.

Merry Lover
I'm from Switzerland smile

Uh, sorry, I didn't check if there was a thread like this before hand. embarrasment

Syren
It's ok, I do it all the time, just don't tell the Big People ninja

So, what is the age of sexual consent in Switzerland?

eek!

I just noticed you sig;

"I would die rather than work for you!
Oh don't be boring! Everyone who says that dies!"

That's from Interesting Times right??

yerssot
you're having a bad day Merry Lover, now we have to crucify you for such a horrible crime no expression

Merry Lover
Right, I won't tell laughing out loud

I think it's 16, but I'm not sure.

And as for my sig: I heard it in Van Helsing, but maybe they took it from Interessting Times, I don't know. big grin

smile Hey don't forget it wasn't me it was my friend who made out

yerssot
yeah, but she gets on the firepile stick out tonguewink

finti
depends on the diffrence in age, but not really

Syren
If it is 16 then my earlier comment still stands, she's in a dangerous position because he is older than her, regardless of how many years the age gap is it will be of much less consequence once she actually turns 16. If there is a relationship blossoming I suggest they keep it subtle til she is actually old enough, if only for his sake erm As soon as she is old enough however, I for one see no problem with the age difference as long as he has respect for her and she has respect for herself big grin

And I'm pretty sure the quote is from Interesting Times by Terry Pratchett also, but as I haven't seen Van Helsing cry I can't be sure.......

Merry Lover
Ok, fine, if it makes you happy stick out tongue

Syren: Watch Van Helsing! It's really good! And didn't Terry Pratchett write the Amber spyglass and all those books? (Sorry, off topic)

Mr Zero
NO!

Syren
cry Oh the pain!!! cry

He wrote the acclaimed Discworld Series and others such as 'The Amazing Maurice...' and 'The Wee Free Men'.

Mr Zero
He wrote a pile of acclaimed puerile shit. Amber Spyglass is by Phillip Pullman.

Syren
Byatch, I'll kick your ass for the desecration of TP miffed But I'll love you for knowing who Philip Pullman is love I am a twisted soul stick out tongue

Mr Zero
All my Pullman books are signed by the great man himself. How much do you love me now?

Alpha Centauri
Unless it is a grossly large age gap, then no it's no issue I believe.

A very smart 15 year old dating a very smart and sensible 20 year old isnt a problem.

A very dumb 15 year old dating a very dumb or even worse, smart 20 year old, is potentially gonna go not too well.

Mental age is what should be the focus. I've been able to tell who's a danger for the most part or a potential danger, from a very early age. Some people would go out and take candy from a man wearing an "I sleep with kids" t-shirt at 18.

-AC

Merry Lover
notworthy confused I'm sorry please forgive me! Of course it was Philipp Pullman, I'm a stupid thing. I didn't mean to offend anyone! Yerssot can impale me now if he wants.

smile

Mr Zero
I'll go out on a limb and guess this is not something he hears every day ...

Merry Lover
Crucify, sorry big grin

Syren
laughing You could well be correct big grin

And I want your children, you Pullman-Signature-Owner you shifty

Jackie Malfoy
Ok for exsample my friend's sister was dating a guy who was eighteen at the time and she was only fourteen(my a age!)
She end up carrying his baby and then he broke up with her as soon as he found out she was pregent.
She called the cops and he was arrested being that it is againt the law because she was a minor at that time!
So in that case it is bad but in other ages a eighteen dating a twenty yeared old is ok by me.JM Happy Dance

Mr Zero
I think there is a valuable lesson for us all here - hiding as it is amongst JM's mangled english / personal secret code.

And the lesson is - if your going to **** a 14 year old, make sure it's not one of JM's buddies because they will drop a dime on you as soon as...

Y'know I have nothing against 14year olds of either gender having sex - but good god - will they ever ****ing learn to use birth control? If morons keep having moron babies we are going to end up hip deep in mewling dumbos.

Thats the kind of nightmare world I fear.

silver_tears
hysterical right on mr.zero

Syren
Nicely put m'dear big grin "Make sure it's not one of JM's buddies..." laughing out loud

finti
ehh 18-20 wouldnt be considered the age diffrence in question here JM.

WindDancer
Yeah, a 23 year old is considered a college man. A 15 year hasn't even enter High school. I don't see as disgusting but I wouldn't approve of it. She is still to young to be going out with a 23 year old.

finti
now yeah, but in 4- 6 years time no

Syren
You mean when she turns 19? Obviously, by then she'll be my age and more than capable of dating college guys wink

Df02
just went to check that actually, its a pretty decent book...but cant remember much now, dont even think i finished it cos my mum stole it confused

Alpha Centauri
I agree with Mr Zero.

That's probably why there's no cure for AIDS out in the general public (coz you know there probably is one.)

They know that kids/adults could go out ****ing and enjoying themselves till their hearts content and not have to worry.

What a horrid world that'd be....no fear....I shudder to imagine.

-AC

MornGlory
just wait till you are 23 - the thought of kissing a 15 yr old will be so gross to youpuke

that guy shouldn't have been making out with a 15 yr old!! he is so stupid!
puke

anyways you are only a girl and you should stick to teenage "boys"

sick sick sick sick sick

now go play with your dollies or something shit

BadKitty
yes the age difference you are describing is.
now if you took the same amount of years and it was a 30 and a 38 year old then it wouldn't be bad..why? because they are both adults.

your friend realizes that he is only interested in one thing..and it isn't her mind.

Alpha Centauri
In the US I've known of many people, dating couples, with a gap of 5 years between them, frequently.

Here in the UK if it's beyond 3, you're at a stretch.

I personally would go to about 4 at a stretch. But not because of "Yuk age!" Because I don't believe anyone beyond that point is smart, intelligent and sensible enough to be in a relationship.

-AC

MornGlory
i dont think there is anything wrong with a age gap of 4 -5 yrs or beyond

but i think that time when you are a teenager - and dating someone beyond the 20 yr mark is just sort of icky

or something like all that.. blah blah blah

finti
what a load of crap, so a 27 year old couldnt be in a realtionship with a 34 year old cause it wouldnt be intelligent and sensible?

MornGlory
I dont think we are talking about the difference between 27 -to 34 yr olds here-- PAY ATTENTION

its the fact of an "adult" dating or making out with a "kid" - like 12 - 16 or 17 yr olds

sorry if you are in the teens and you are offended if i said you were a "kid" but you are embarrasment

finti
oh really, so if we talking just teens then you actually dont mind if there is a gap of 4-5 years or beyond then?

Alpha Centauri
"what a load of crap, so a 27 year old couldnt be in a realtionship with a 34 year old cause it wouldnt be intelligent and sensible?"

I mean personally. I don't believe anyone more than 4 years younger than me is responsible or intelligent enough to be the person I want to be with in a relationship. It was from personal view, I live in London where it's a miracle to find anyone below 15 years who isn't dumb.

-AC

Syren
AC, how old are you? That may help.....

Alpha Centauri
18. 19 in December.

So anyone over 4 years younger than me here, whilst considered a mature age, would be nowhere near what I consider a relationship partner.

-AC

finti
just wait till you reach the mid 20`s then or late 20`s then 4 years wont be a problem, I understand what you say about the same age gap(downwards) when you are around 20 though

wicker_man
My girlfriends 16 and i'm 19 but when we are together age never really comes up we love one another and thats all that matters, sounds cliched, something out of a lame movie but that truthfully how i feel.

Darth Sauron
An age difference shouldnt be bad as nothing should get in the way if you love sombody, but they can cause problems.

Silver Stardust
Well, if you're 18, going out with someone younger than you is a lot different than going out with someone older than you. I'm 18, will be 19 in three months, and I don't think I could go out with someone younger than me. Hell, guys my own age drive me nuts. Like I said in the other thread (before myself and Syren and Moose derailed it), age differences aren't that big a deal to me.

finti
I lived the life until after I was 25, never felt myself ready for any relationship before that age. Didnt think too much about it at 25 either, was 26 when I met Monika and we are still together

wicker_man
I find its only a problem when its made one.

pr1983
well put

Alpha Centauri
"just wait till you reach the mid 20`s then or late 20`s then 4 years wont be a problem, I understand what you say about the same age gap(downwards) when you are around 20 though"

Yeah I agree. Like, if you're older. Even younger people will be more mature than the younger people from my standpoint.

-AC

eleveninches
It depends on how old you are as to whether an age difference matters as much

Alpha Centauri
Someone 5 years younger than a 30 year old is gonna be fairly mature by default (I would hope).

Someone 5 years younger than me most likely wouldn't be.

-AC

DarthCyrax
well 15 and making out with a 23 year old isnt bad. if he had sex with her than thats rape

finti
not rape, misconduct with a minor

Silver Stardust
In the US that's statutory rape.

hotsauce6548
well, as you get older, i think it doesn't make a big difference, so long as the two like each other. in fact, my parents have the biggest age difference out of all my friends, and they're still happily married. most of my friends' parents are either divorced or seperated...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.