Daylight Savings

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

silver_tears
Will the forum change automatically confused

Mr Zero
You have waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much time on your hands.

Vampy
nope... it didn't

Clovie
i don't understand cry

furryman
http://www.markstivers.com/Cartoons/Cartoons%202004/Stivers-10-25-04-apple-and-.gif

Raz
They will now.

On the main page, you should get a popup asking you to change your time automagically.

Paola
*tries*

Paola
worked!! notworthy

silver_tears
Im observant stick out tongue

Raz
You're welcome stick out tongue

furryman
It comes up everytime I go on KMC messed

Syren
Didja do this on purpose? big grin

Clovie
i've never got a pop up for this blink

Silver Stardust
Same here...confused

Raz
Did you click OK "fix my timezone"? Of course wink

Clovie
i din't got this pop up ONE single time
never ever

Raz
That means your computer clock and KMC clock are the same.

Clovie
but they are not, kmc clock is 5 minuts late.

Raz
The server time is synchronised with an atomic clock every few minutes (no joke) - it's pretty accurate.

Anyhoo, the "checker" only checks the timezones i.e. the hour difference.

Clovie
oh that is probable i have all clocks set few minuts ahead to avoid being late erm

gotcha happy tx

Syren
But my KMC clock is in front of my comp clock by an hour and I got no pop up cry

KMC, she say 12:30. Comp, he say 11:30. Kerry, she say "Bugger."

Silver Stardust
Well, I guess that makes sense as to why it keeps popping up on me -- it happens when I'm on the computers at school and NONE of those are set to the right time.

Sy...KMC's a female? hysterical

silver_tears
Mine hasnt popped either confused

m!$hA
does this include for us aussies with no daylight savings? confused
will the times stuff up cry

Raz
No, it just checks if you've been affected by daylight savings time.

If your time hasn't changed - you aren't affected.
If you changed your time manually - you aren't affected.
If you did nothing and your time change automatically - then KMC will ask to change your time to match here.

Syren
But right now it's 20:56 by my comp clock and yet KMC says it is 09:56pm confused

Syren
toot

Exsqueeze me?

It is now 21:59 by my comp clock and 10:59 by KMC. A little help would be just peachy happy

Lana - Yes, KMC is a female wink

Vampy
damn, Kerry can't you jsut change it yourself? stick out tongue

If i ever have daughter i'll name her KMC

Syren
I can do that? confused

Vampy
profile --> edit options stick out tongue laughing out loud

Syren
I am dumb and I love you hug

Vampy
laughing lover you too

Vampy
erm... help, the time change pop up started showing up whever i come to kmc, although i updated the cock ages ago confused

Raz
Just above the quick reply box, check the time and compare it to your time in your taskbar.

Are they different?

Vampy
yes. blink i don't get it, i updated a dozen of times!

Raz
Could you post the times?

Vampy
actually i fixed it again.

but t was even more wrong. it's 10pm at y place

so, if i didn't chagne the clock it would be showing 11pm

but it showed 9pm. i don't get it at all. I'll see waht happens when i sign on KMC again blink

Vampy
it still wants me to update the clock erm

yerssot
It asked me to update my clock too blink

ash007
yeps the same things is happining to me

Gregory
Likewise. For something like the tenth time.

Raz
a) How long has this been happening?

b) What is the time difference between KMC Time and your time?

Gregory
It's been happening since daylight saving time started or ended or did whatever it did (but not every time I come onto KMC; it seems to happen randomly). There is no appreciable difference between the forum's time and mine (the forum says I posted this on 8:02, my clock says it's 7:59)

§pearhead
well, that is only a three minute difference, after all confused could just be your time, or the forum's, is off a bit

Raz
Thanks Gregory, you found the bug.

Bascially the check was pretty primitive and only compared the hour bits of the time to determine whether you had been affected by a time change. I've updated the code the check the minutes aswell now.

Vampy
clap bravo, saved from paranoia, i am

Vampy
Don't kill me there... but it still pops up sad

Raz

Vampy
a) bout two weeks or so, long after the time change anyways
b) no change, because i always press 'cancel' and i press cancel, because there is no bloody difference and there shouldn't be.

Gregory
It just popped up again for me, too. It's 6:59 by my computer clock, 7:03 by the forum clock.

Raz
Vampy - try click OK, and see if its helps. And also please post the exact times you get from KMC and your local clock so I can find the problem.

Gregory, was this when you logged on? Or afterwards?

Gregory
I never bother to log out (I'm the only one who uses my computer), so I'm not sure? I have KMC in my shortcuts; I came here from my homepage, and the message appeared as soon as KMC loaded.

Raz
So if you hit refresh after getting that message, you get it again?

Also, I'm not sure why you're getting that message, because if the times you gave are right, you shouldn't. It currently ignores a 30 minutes difference, and your difference is only a few minutes.

Anyway, I added a special DEBUG popup for you only. Could you post what it shows next time you get it?

Gregory
It doesn't reappear everytime I refresh, so it's more a minor curiosity than a real problem. I got the pop-up box, closed it without knowing what it was, and now I can't get it to come back. If it reappears, I'll tell you what it says.

Darth Revan
Just popped up for me too. I clicked "OK" and it switched me to Mountain time for some reason... (I'm on Pacific time)

eleveninches
Which countries do (and which do not) have daylight savings time?

Or do they all have it?

Gregory
eleveninces: http://www.worldtimezone.com/daylight.htm

But more important than that: I was just asked if I wanted to adjust for daylight saving time, and when I said yes (to make it go away) it messed up my time somehow. It's 10:02 by my computer clock, but my forum time now says that it's 9:05.

Edited: But it just asked me again, and when I said yes, it fixed that.

Nazgulinthedark
it asked me to change the forum time , and i clicked 'yes' and then the next time i got on it asked me again, and since i already had, i clicked cancel, it did this a couple more times throughout the day, then i realized kmc was an hour ahead of me. next time i got on, it asked me again to change the time, and i clicked yes, and it stopped asking me for a day or two, then it started asking again today, i clicked yes to fix it, and now it says again that kmc is an hour ahead of me erm

Raz
Peeps, its no point in telling me about the problem unless you help me fix it.

Just post the time KMC is saying it is and your time on your computer.

BTW, Gregory, what was the debug message you got?

Gregory
It just popped up:

DEBUG FOR GREG: 32149.489000082016

Edit: It just popped up again, with a different number: 32149.430999994278

And again: 32151.09400010109

Raz
Is your time GMT+9 hours?

What OS are you using? And what browser version?

Also if you type "javascript:alert(new Date())" in your location bar (without quotes) what does it show?
Also the output of "javascript:alert(new Date().getTimezoneOffset());"

This is strange. Your time seems to be showing as GMT instead of your local time.

Gregory
My time is GMT -5 hours

I'm using Mac OS X (version 10.1.5), Internet Explorer 5.1

Typing that into my location bar, I get "Thu Nov 25 13:27:50 PST 2004".

Raz
Hmm...might be a Mac OS thing. Could you try loading the forums in Firefox to see if its a IE problem in OSX?

Gregory
I'm having trouble with Firefox (I can't find where to download it, specifically); would Camino work (it's also by Mozilla)? Also, it doesn't pop up every time I visit the forum; usually just around the turn of the hour, so it will be about 20 minutes before I can say if it happens in Camino.

Raz
Here ya go: http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

Although if you have Camino, its the same as Firefox, but optimized for OSX. You might want to upgrade to the latest version anyways: http://www.mozilla.org/products/camino/

BTW, in IE, could you post the output of javascript:alert(new Date().getTimezoneOffset());I still need to find a fix. (remove the space between "java script"wink

Gregory
I still get the message in Camino.

The result of typing java script:alert(new Date().getTimezoneOffset()); into Internet Explorer is "480"

And I don't know if it's important, but I got the debug message (in Camino) with yet another number: 28546.71700000763

Raz
OK, so Internet Explorer is saying that your TimeZone difference to GMT is 480 hours - something not right there.

Its either a bug in IE or your time/date is wrong. Maybe double check those?

Also if you type that in Camino, whats the output? If its 480, then I'm guessing your date is set wrong.

Gregory
It's also 480 in Camino. But my computer clock says that it's Thursday, 11/25/2004, 6:05 PM (correct), so I'm not sure what to do about it.

edit: my computer thought I was in a different time-zone then I am; I fixed that; maybe it will solve the problem.

edit 2: If you don't need any more information from it, could you stop the debug thing from coming up any more?

Raz
It shouldn't really make a difference, since JavaScript seems to fetch the right time anyway.

I've had a look at your profile and it was set at GMT-2 - did you click OK when asked to update your timezone? Clicking it might have solved the problem.

I've manually set it at -5 hours. Let me know if you still get a popup, as I need to fix this problem.

Gregory
There was a pop-up, and when I clicked okay, it changed my time-zone to GMT -2 hours. I've changed it back.

Raz
I'm guessing this is a OSX only problem, as I can't reproduce it in either Linux or Windows. Unless you want to keep on looking for the problem/solution...?

Anyway, you should sync your clock with a time server so you don't get popups on the turn of the hour: http://www.upenn.edu/computing/pennkey/use/syncmacosx.html

Gregory
I did that. I'm still getting the pop-up, but what the heck, it only appears on the main page. I'll just use the forum jump option to get from one forum to another. Thanks for all your time, though.

misha
raz, the whole 'your kmc timezone doesnt seem to be correct' etc keeps popping up for me confused

Clovie
it started poping up for me as well messed

and now it says it's one hour late than it is messed

Raz
I've disabled it. I've re-written the checker.

If you could all (especially Gregory) visit this page: http://www.killermovies.com/forums/greg.php
and post the output, it would help _a lot_

Gregory
It says

NO CHANGE - 0.5810000896453857

Just my opinion, but couldn't you just keep it disabled? Surly just about everyone has already changed their forum clock by now? Maybe not a very satisfying solution, I know.

Raz
Could you try it at the turn of the hour like you did last time? The no-change message is a good sign.

Anyway, its disabled on the main page at the moment, so it shouldn't cause you any problems. I'm pretty sure I've found the solution, so it shouldn't be too long now smile

Gregory
NO CHANGE - 0.006999969482421875

Clovie
NO CHANGE - 110.20300006866455

what does it mean? blink

Raz
It means that the new system would not change your timezone.

Could you please keep trying it. If there are no strange changes, I'll take it live.

Gregory
NO CHANGE - 1.6010000705718994

Raz
Thats good. Only a second difference between your clock and the KMC clock.

Gregory
NO CHANGE - 0.020999908447265625

It looks to me like you fixed it.

Raz
Did you synchronize your clock with an atomic clock or something?

A 0.02 difference is freakishly small!

Gregory
I synchranized my clock with "Penn's Network Time Server." I don't know what it is, but you gave me the link some posts back.

Raz
At the turn of the hour at around 5 past, could you change your clock 15 minutes back and then try that link?

You were getting the problems when your clock was in the previous hour. Now that you're synched, I'm not surprised you don't get the error.

Gregory
NO CHANGE - 916.2679998874664

(computer clock time: 5:51)

Raz
Excellent! big grin

Thanks for your help, I'll put up the new code.

Raz
New code is now on the main page. Please let me know if you get the popup unnecessarily.

JKozzy
Originally posted by silver_tears
Will the forum change automatically confused It didn't change automatically again. At least for me.

LanİeWindu™
It changed just perfect for me. happy

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.