Dodgy Death Star plans

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Clai Keboa
Hi all, What really, really has annoyed me for a long time in ANH..... is the rebels copy of the DS plans (u know the B&W one). I know the graphics at the time were as good as that but since they have been back twice in 1997 & 2004 & altered ANH i think they could have changed this, (they went to the trouble of changing the writing on the tractor beam for heaven's sake from English to Aurbesh) to maybe something that resembled the DS. The version in ANH is a sphere granted, but it has the superlaser on the equaitor!! when we all know it is situated off centre in the higher half. The version in AOTC was far, far superior. Detailed enough, They should have changed the version in ANH!. If this has been mentioned before (i'm sure it has somewhere, i can't be alone on it!) i sorry but i needed to get this off my chest. mad

mephistodesigns
i totally agree, i was really hoping to see that, and the targeting computer screens, updated. Maybe in the next release?

NoMeN
yeah, i was hoping to see this aswell

Clai Keboa
Meph - The next release?

Morridini
Yeah, it will probably be in the next release. The box set with all six movies.

yerssot
they have the BLUEPRINTS of the station. Those prints can constantly change, y'know

Ushgarak
Yeah... and besides which, that sequence is a bit of a cult classic.

§pearhead
right....there's only so many times you can change it before it becomes a completely different movie, and its seems to border on that at times

Jerico
I think the rebels were damn lucky there was any trench at all given their shonky plans big grin

Ushgarak
It's the same way it would be a shame if they updated the X-Wing and TIE Fighter targetters; they are so much identified with the ethos of the films.

Much as people think GL likes to ruin stuff- and right now I don't want to debate that one way or another- he only updates stuff that he thinks failed to get the point he wanted made due to the technology limits, not just because he thought they looked bad. So Mos Eisley gets updated not due to bad look, but because it wasn't what he WANTED from it. With the targetters- and even the Death Star Plans- the desired effect is achieved, so no need to update... and as I say, it's all rather charming.

Admittedly the translucent snowspeeder cockpits and rancor matte lines ARE removed due to bad look, but they are actual technical failures, as opposed to technical primitiveness.

PVS
excellent way of putting it.
i only wish GL would have recognised this.
he changed certain things that did not fail technically.
he simply does not realise that being an artist, you see
your work through different eyes than everyone else. where
you see a flaw, others see beauty. not to bring up another debate,
but i think the jabba's palace musical number is THE perfect example.
it was technically sound in every way, and needed no modernising. nobody
complained or said "THAT LOOKS SOOOOOO FAKE"...but GL changed it,
and ruined it. of all the changed scenes, i have never seen such a unanymous
agreement that this particular scene just plain sucks now.

oh well *end rant*

Ushgarak
But again, as I say, agree or disagree, he changed it not because it looked bad but because it didn't conincide with what he decided he wanted artistically. What OTHER people think of that is neither here nor there; that IS an artisitic change. The Death Star plans would not be.

mephistodesigns
in your opinion. you say that he removed matte lines do to a lack or faliure of the technology of the day. Well, the death star plans are ALSO a victim of the technology of the day. He wanted it to be a computer graphic, 3D model. He got the best the TIME could offer. If he altered Mos Eisley because he was limited by what the technology of the time had to offer, than the same arguement can be made for the DS plans. They should be altered/updated so that it makes sense within the story as a whole. It being "rather charming" is no reason to keep it. We saw the early death star "sketch" in AOTC, and it looked better than the final blue prints. That doesn't make sense, plain and simple. It was the result of limited technology of the time, AOTC shows what happens when you aren't limited. The rebels also had a truly 3D model in ROTJ, so obviously Lucas has a artistic preference. And since the DS in AOTC looks like the one in ROTJ, then the one in ANH, should also follow suit. It makes sense to change it, both for the story, and by the same argument used to justify Mos Eisley and the other artistic alterations.

Clai Keboa
Meph I totally agree with you there. It's not a point wether it's a classic sequence in the film or not, the fact is it was over looked considering the plans in AOTC were far superior.

Jedi Priestess
blink blink blink

I cant believe you guys even NOTICE this stuff. After watching these movies a zillion time I never see this stuff.

Red Superfly
I noticed it when I first saw the film, but I didn't really care.

As far as I'm concerned, they should have had the blueprints in AOTC wrong too. It would have been pretty cool to see that holographic Death Star plan incorrect like the ANH one.

I blame the prequels yet again. The prequels have made this into a problem. Before the prequels, they were just "blueprints" and everybody could assume they would change. Now that AOTC shows us that the Death Star blueprints were finalised 20 years before the damn thing was finished, it's caused this plot hole that wasn't there when the OT just existed.

Stupid prequels.

mephistodesigns
actually, the prequel death star isn't the final design. if you look closely at it, you'll notice it actually resembles some of ILM's own early designs from the OT. The DS in AOTC has a couple arms coming off of it near the top. It's very faint since they stick off from the main sphere and it is rotating so you have to watch carefully. It's more of an early concept sketch.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.