"Gateway" bands

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Revan
I was just thinking about crappy rock bands, and I realized something. People call marijuana a "gateway" drug, meaning that some people who start smoking pot will eventually start on harder stuff after having tried something already. What does this have to do with anything, you ask?

Well, back when I was just a little bitty boy of 11 and 12, I used to listen to crappy music too. I liked all the pop-rock bands, and, yes, Linkin Park. Gradually, I started listening to harder music, and eventually I stopped liking my original music altogether. So, after all this bashing, I think it's time we gave these guys SOME recognition. Because without Chester Bennington and his pals, I might be listening to Usher or even *gasp* 50-cent right now. So for this, I thank them--they might be a pretty crappy band, but they were also a decent introduction to the music I listen to now. Pop-rock--the finest gateway genre in the land. cool wink

Afro Cheese
Yeah, I recently made a post in the Good Charlotte thread about them being a "gateway band"... even though I didn't use that term (clever by the way). I would say when it comes to rock there are alot of crappy bands that are gateway bands (GC) and some pretty good bands as well (Nirvana).

Darth Revan
Actually, that's where I got the idea for this thread... I meant to credit you, but I forgot, sorry erm

Afro Cheese
Oh really? No problem. Glad to see someone agreed with my post at least. I thoguht I was going to get flamed for not being like "GC sucks!"

Ronny
good charlotte and linkin park were my gateway bands

thank god i missed the last ride on the popstar bandwagon

Afro Cheese
I went from growing up on classic rock (my parents music) to liking alternative rock in like 4th-6th grades to liking mainstream rap in 7th-9th grades until my neighbor "found" this CD and gave it to me cause she didn't have a CD player. And it was this punk band called "ALL" who used to be called the descendants and it was their album Pummel. The album was mediocre but it influenced me to look them up on the Internet and thats how I discovered punk rock... and that stemmed my interest into all different types of music including jazz and underground hip hop. So I guess my Gateway band was The Descendants even though they were before my time.

Alpha Centauri
Good Charlotte were my gateway band, not to Rock but to the bathroom. Their lack of forseeable talent disrupts my bowel movements.

Mine was Public Enemy, who I got into very early in my life. Before I could actually talk properly the music itself appealed to me. Then I saw some of that in Rage in.....94-95 maybe. I was already into many Rock bands around that time. I was very young.

-AC

-AC

SlipknoT
I used to like Blink 182 when I was a kid.

Deathblow
My gateway band was Red Hot Chili Peppers. I liked them from a suprisingly young age, and they got me into my first hard rock bands, Korn and Rage Against The Machine, because they had funk elements that reminded me of RHCP. Korn kind of took over from there.

matchbox
i dont think i really have any gateway bands. I was raised on good music and it has kind of stuck. I did drift off into a bit of eminem in year 7+8, but so did most people.

a band i really liked a while back was RHCP, really have gone off them, i cant stand um as well.

Df02
Korn....and now i really dont rate them at all

Silver Stardust
I don't really have anything that I'd consider a gateway band...the music I listen to now I've been listening to pretty much my entire life, thanks to my mom's great taste in music big grin

matchbox
i have to thank my mum and dad as well for banging some decent music out when i was a kid, and they still do know!

Alpha Centauri
Hahaha my parents surprise me.

This is from a convo from the other day:

Mum: David have you ever heard of Radiohead?

Hahaha.

-AC

matchbox
my parents have shockingly good taste in music, which is kind of embarsing some times; especially went you are on holiday and your parents are kicking tones out from room and you can hear it down at the pool!

Silver Stardust
laughing out loud I think it's awesome that my mom and I have the same tastes in music.

Afro Cheese
I listened to my parents music for a while... but once I got around grade 3 or 4 I decided it was time to rebel.

matchbox
i tried rebeling, but my dad bet me to it! lol

Yumcarrots
poser punk leads to decent music? nice big grin

embarrasment

sorry, i like that phrase 'Poser punk'

Arachnoidfreak
Limp Bixkit was my gateway band. Actually, it was only one of their songs, "Take a Look Around".

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.