PLAGIARISM - Rex's Hit List

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Captain REX
Plagiarism - The act of stealing written work from someone else, i.e. Billy Bobmeister saying that he wrote The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, which was actually by Mark Twain (Samuel L. Clemens).

Plagiarist - Someone who plagiarizes or can be accused of plagiarism, i.e. Billy Bobmeister after the example above

PLAGIARISM BITES! It is illegal, and it is just plain stupid! I will keep track of you, and I will delete the plagiarized work!

Rex's Plagiarist Hit List:

Dublecee - Crime & Punishment by Fyodor Dosotevsky (1821-1881) - Moscow, Russia
SalemKent - Aperio: Angelica Corusca Series by Miss_Linda_Lee (Local Member)
Stephanie20 - Your Encounter with Yami Marik by Marine on Quizilla
Denniz234 - A Magical Journey by Msnorris on Portkey

Please report plagiarists here!

Trickster
Can you give us a link to his story?

I'd like to go in and have a little read of Fyodor's work (being too cheap to buy books)

dublecee
thats a book i got it from my freind he said he had a breakthrough in writing

p.S what happens to people that plagerize

Captain REX
There is a link to Fyodor's bio and his work there, all online, Trickster.

First time is a warning, Dublecee. Your friend was being a plagiarist if he said he wrote that, but you posting it without even crediting your friend, who wasn't crediting Fyodor is plagiarism in itself.

hotsauce6548
Ha HA! I know of a plagiarist... Well, no I don't, but this sounded like a cool little thread and I needed to say something.

SpikeSpiegel
I'm a plagiarist...I used some of your Matrix story in mine without asking embarrasment stick out tongue

Silver Stardust
OMFG I can't believe you did that!!!

Meh, so did I, I think...I think it's a given that we're going to do that to make sure that our stories at least somewhat line up stick out tongue

Captain REX
Gasp...plagiarists! stick out tongue

Silver Stardust
*tattle-tale voice*

Spike stole my thing about San throwing shoes at people from my story!!! And Rex stole my Oracle prediction for his other Matrix story!!!

stick out tongue

SpikeSpiegel
And we all techniqually stole Ush's story stick out tongue

Tptmanno1
But he doesn't give a crap so......

Captain REX
The other one which died quickly. stick out tongue

Technically we did plagiarize Ush...but he knows and does not give a rat's arse... big grin

Silver Stardust
Yeah, it died, but you still stole my Oracle prediction for it stick out tongue

Captain REX
You did nothing about it. stick out tongue

dublecee
fryodole stole my my freinds crime and punishment book

dublecee
HAHAHAHAH i just had to post that

Bespin Bart
Your friend would have to be over a hundred years old...

So...no...not funny...

Captain REX
no expression

Silver Stardust
What the hell?! confused

Stealth Agent
LOL laughing

I have nothing useful to say so ill just be here in this thread ding nothing rolling on floor laughing rolling on floor laughing rolling on floor laughing

MC John 117
Isn't everybody here a plaigarist who even WRITES about the MAtrix, or Star Wars, or Harry Potter?

Red X
those are Fanfics.

Tptmanno1
Yea,
Plagerism is word for word copt and pasteing.
We are mearly borrowing Ideas

Captain REX
Indeed, Tpt speaks true...and so does Red X...sort of. They are fan fics.

The people listed here are people who copy-pasted the entire story THEN called it their own.

Though, why would you write about Harry Potter? It's a book in the first place...

MC John 117
I don't but some do.
I guess you have a point about the plaigarism too....

Captain REX
Yup!

Dublecee's was more startling than SalemKent's plagiarism, however. Law & Order?!

Silver Stardust
Hey, I wrote a 150 page Harry Potter fanfic when I was in 9th grade stick out tongue

Fanfics are in a very grey area when it comes to plagiarism. There are certain authors that, if they find fanfiction based on their works, request that it be removed. When I post fanfics (particularly when I post on fanfiction.net because they're sticklers for this) I generally include a disclaimer stating that the basic ideas and pre-existing characters I didn't invent and don't belong to me, but anything original that's in the story IS mine.

Bespin Bart
Unless, of course, you're documenting Ush's RPG... stick out tongue

Silver Stardust
stick out tongue I have been posting that on FF.net and it has this massively long disclaimer on it...I just didn't bother with that on here because everyone KNOWS I didn't create the story or any of the characters but San.

SpikeSpiegel
And my one's got credits for who plays whom and a based on an RPG by Ushgarak bit

Captain REX
For Starkiller I put thank you's to the folks featured in it, so I guess that's the credit-givin' there.

Silver Stardust
Yay smile

Captain REX
You're not in it, though, Alana. stick out tongue

Not yet, anyways. You'll be in there when Starkiller II wraps up.

Spideys Sister
See me I would care if someone stole my work if I thought it was good. Thats why feedback is the backbone of most of my work.

Trickster
Wait, didn't JK specifically say she didn't want any fanfics of HP?

dark1365
Originally posted by Trickster
Wait, didn't JK specifically say she didn't want any fanfics of HP?
What?!

Trickster
No, she didn't.

Just checking. I think some writer has said that...

Trickster
Originally posted by Silver Stardust
stick out tongue I have been posting that on FF.net and it has this massively long disclaimer on it...I just didn't bother with that on here because everyone KNOWS I didn't create the story or any of the characters but San.

I found you on FF.net!

Wasn't so hard... stick out tongue

Was looking for the Star Wars story because I didn't realise you hadn't written one!

Lana
No, she didn't.

Just checking. I think some writer has said that...

Lots of writers have. Two I know of off the top of my head are Ann Rice and Anne McCaffrey. JK is, so far as I've heard, fine with fanfics of her work.

I found you on FF.net!

Wasn't so hard... stick out tongue

Was looking for the Star Wars story because I didn't realise you hadn't written one!

stick out tongue I've had that account for YEARS, and as you can see I nearly never update it anymore. And I have yet to write a SW story that I think is good enough to post stick out tongue once I finish enough of Rianna's story to post, though, I think I'll put it on there.

Tela
Maybe it would be better for those who write fanfics here to give a disclaimer.

ZoSo
Originally posted by Tela

My god....that's the first post of Tela's I've seen in quite a while!

Lana
Originally posted by Tela

Nah, I don't think it's really that necessary on here as everyone knows that they don't own characters that already exist.

Captain REX
Disclaimers, in my opinion, are not needed for fan fics. It's common sense that says that I did not invent Count Dooku, or whatherface did not make Harry Potter...and so on.

botankus
Originally posted by Captain REX
Rex's Plagiarist Hit List:

Dublecee - Crime & Punishment by Fyodor Dosotevsky (1821-1881) - Moskow, Russia

What kind of reject would try to pass this novel off as his own and actually think he would get away with it?

Captain REX
That one. He's a 12-year-old from Canada.

ResubianNushi
That one. He's a 12-year-old from Canada.

Canada? Makes sense. j/k

Sorgo
Originally posted by ResubianNushi
Canada? Makes sense. j/k

mad

Captain REX
Hence the j/k. no expression

Darth JLRTENJAC
Aah, so this is where you moderate Rex! evil face

Captain REX
Technically, I moderate everywhere, but this is where I have the power to silence fools. big grin

Trickster
Rex, do you delete the threads people post when they've plagiarised?

Captain REX
Should I?

Just added a person.

Saratn
yeah, you should.
it sickens me that people dare to plagerize. people work hard in what they do, and they got people who dare take their hard work.

Mišt
Hey Rex, since this is your department (I like what you've done with the place, got that whole aura of death and destruction happening evil face ).....dammit, now Ive forgotten what I was asking..

..Oh yeah, if you were to use parts from another source in a fanfic, does that count as plagiarism?

Example....say you were writing a crossover kind of story, where certain parts from a movie/story have to be pretty much copied straight over to give it that continuing feel, can you do that? Do you need a reference?

Captain REX
If you credit the person somewhere, it's fine.

And yes, we have a bit of D&D here... big grin No, not Dungeons and Dragons...

In the case of fanfics of movies, though...I think it's pretty obvious that none of us invented Star Wars or Jedi, or the Matrix, or Middle-Earth, or whatever.

hotsauce6548
If you credit the person somewhere, it's fine.

And yes, we have a bit of D&D here... big grin No, not Dungeons and Dragons...

In the case of fanfics of movies, though...I think it's pretty obvious that none of us invented Star Wars or Jedi, or the Matrix, or Middle-Earth, or whatever.

Actually, I invented all of those. shifty stick out tongue

Captain REX
eek!

Hey there J.R.R. Lucas Walchowski! big grin

hotsauce6548
eek!

eek!

JaehSkywalker
eek!

eek! laughing

Twilight Janick
Originally posted by Lana
Hey, I wrote a 150 page Harry Potter fanfic when I was in 9th grade stick out tongue

Fanfics are in a very grey area when it comes to plagiarism. There are certain authors that, if they find fanfiction based on their works, request that it be removed. When I post fanfics (particularly when I post on fanfiction.net because they're sticklers for this) I generally include a disclaimer stating that the basic ideas and pre-existing characters I didn't invent and don't belong to me, but anything original that's in the story IS mine.

Same thing for me and The Sisterhood of Traveling Pants. I remade another story, in French, stating that the basic ideas aren't mine, but this is about four female Sith (hence the traduced title Four Sith and a pair of jeans, from Quatre Siths et un jean in french), three of them fighting on different planets (Kashyyyk, Dantooine and Nar Shaddaa) and the fourth stays on Alderaan. The entire story is set 2,000 years before the Battle of Yavin. Don't try to find it on the site, though.

Diamonds
Originally posted by hotsauce6548
Actually, I invented all of those. shifty stick out tongue Well, well, well...I acctually write Harry Potter, but JKR claims my work as her own. No! Here she comes!! *Screams as JK Rowling carries Di to the basement* HELLLLLLLLP!!!

But yeah, plagairism is just plain stupid.

Lord_Saratn
agreed. i get angered when people say i'm plagerizing, when i'm actually doing my own work. my story blade the dragon warrior, i don't see how its the same as Eragon. I have Dragon Warriors, big whoop.

well, any way i started over so it doesn't matter

Faroth
Hmm... I hope people don't start thinking I'm plagerizing off a site that belongs to me messed

Knightfall93
Well, actually, William shakespeare MY have been a plagierist, add him to your hit list, rex!

Captain REX
I feel very inclined to believe you, Knightfall. Oh, wait, he was alive 500 years before thou. no expression

Trickster
I think he means that Shakespeare plagerised contemporary plays (missed out the 'A' in 'MAY')

Knightfall, I thought it was pretty much decided that he was a plageriser? Anyway... I don't see our mate Billy posting his work in the General Fiction Area, do you?

Knightfall93
Well, no, but it would DEFIniTELY be funny... then again, taht would be plagierising the plagierist... crap... that's worse than the Law and Order nutjob!

Blaxican_Jedi
What if e write a story abaout something, and it turns out that somone had written like almost the exact same thing? Like not word fo word but the same plot and characters an such.

Arker
no expression

Trickster
And where has that happened...?

I'd find it difficult to believe, to be honest - the same characters, especially if they are fictional...

The Black Ghost
I bet it happens everyday. Not the same character names but general plot ideas and characteristics. The fact is that so many books and movies have been made it is quite difficult to come up with a new stroy that doesnt seem somewhat similar to another one before it.

Trickster
Not exactly the same plot, though. Obviously, the very basic ones are repeated again and again, but more complicated plots are not.

Terry Rose

Trickster
Plagiarising isn't a big deal on the site. Just a couple of people who thought it would be funny (or make them look clever) to do it. If someone plagerises, I think the thread is simply closed or deleted. Am I right, Rex?

Terry Rose
Oh I'm sorry. I didn't read the other pages, so I assumed that they were all about different people and how they plagerized.

~Terry

Knightfall93
You dont have to sign very post, dude...

Captain REX
Threads are closed and edited, usually.

Denniz234 has been accused and found guilty of plagiarizing a Harry Potter story in the HP section. She didn't even spell 'Lily' right. First person since last year. eek!

That's a grand total of...four plagiarists! roll eyes (sarcastic)

Thank you for your concern, Terry, but it's not a big problem wink

Loli-Popster
Plagerising is so pointless. If you can't come up with a story line of your own, why are you even writing in the first place? Makes no sence at all.

Diamonds
I've been accused of plagiarism, as I posted on quizilla(MissPinkness), harrypotterfanfiction.com (SweetAsLemons), some harry/ginny fansite (Sunlit Nights) and here (Diamodns), with all different names roll eyes (sarcastic)

Bardock42
Someone plagiarised Dostojevsky? Hi-****ing-larious.

I had nowhere to post this monolouge I wrote...so i will do it here:

To be, or not to be: that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
And by opposing end them? To die: to sleep;
No more; and by a sleep to say we end
The heart-ache and the thousand natural shocks
That flesh is heir to, 'tis a consummation
Devoutly to be wish'd. To die, to sleep;
To sleep: perchance to dream: ay, there's the rub;
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
Must give us pause: there's the respect
That makes calamity of so long life;
For who would bear the whips and scorns of time,
The oppressor's wrong, the proud man's contumely,
The pangs of despised love, the law's delay,
The insolence of office and the spurns
That patient merit of the unworthy takes,
When he himself might his quietus make
With a bare bodkin? who would fardels bear,
To grunt and sweat under a weary life,
But that the dread of something after death,
The undiscover'd country from whose bourn
No traveller returns, puzzles the will
And makes us rather bear those ills we have
Than fly to others that we know not of?
Thus conscience does make cowards of us all;
And thus the native hue of resolution
Is sicklied o'er with the pale cast of thought,
And enterprises of great pith and moment
With this regard their currents turn awry,
And lose the name of action. - Soft you now!
The fair Ophelia! Nymph, in thy orisons
Be all my sins remember'd.

l.saratn
I've been accused so many times, I lost count. I go to far too many sites with different names

Syren
Sounds like that's a real problem, registering on various sites using different names. Is there a way round that? For instance, just making a note in your profile on each site stating who you are elsewhere?

Mortalitas
At times i have no choice but to use various names because someone else already has taken the name i try to use. Oh well, at least no one accused me here (as far as i know anyway)

TheKingofKINGS!
I'm a plagerist.

I used a book called "King of Kings! Journal" to write "And Her Name Was Delia"

Oh wait.....

Captain REX
...but, then you'd be dead. ermm

Syren
Originally posted by Mortalitas
At times i have no choice but to use various names because someone else already has taken the name i try to use. Oh well, at least no one accused me here (as far as i know anyway)

I definitely think it'd be worth listing your other aliases in each profile on each site. Only you can access your own profile, so it's got to be you. If that makes sense stick out tongue

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.