Multiplicity of Truth....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

big gay kirk
One God, One Truth.... allegedly...

For the purpose of this discussion, we will take the following as unarguable truth....

There is a higher being, which for want of a more convenient term we shall call "God"

That this "God" is Omnipotent

That the word "omnipotent shall be understood to be an absolute term meaning nothing more or less than "All Powerful"

That this omnipotence therefore allows"God" to make absolutely anything true... regardless of any other considerations...

Taking all of this, do you agree that we must be open to the idea of multiplicity of truth, that is the idea that two or more opposite, contradictory, exclusive events, ideas or things can be true at the same time as denying the truth of the other.... in other words, given the above, can you believe that black is the opposite of white, coterminous and equal to white, not a colour at all and a dog, all at the same time.... even though the truth of one of these statements is denied by at least one of the other two... and if omnipotence opens the possibility of multiplicity of truth, how can we be sure what truth is...

Alpha Centauri
Multiple truths are of course real. Contradictory truths I'm not so sure.

I mean black is the opposite of white but neither of them are colours.

To me, truth is something provable to the point that nobody can say, with meaning, "That is false."

Like the sky is blue isn't necessarily a truth. The sky appears to be blue, is a truth.

-AC

Tired Thins
English is the language of science, so it might be difficult to come to any conclusion unless we switch to a more ancient text.

Turbo-Cajun
Mathematics is the language of science, but I get what your saying.

Jackie Malfoy
Truth is a hard thing to follow.For not alot of people believe in truth when it comes to the bible or god.They think it may be false because they don't understand or don't want to understand if god is real or not.
This may never be answear until we are dead and then only then will we know the truth.JM

eleveninches
Since nothing is absolutely certian, then there can be no such thing as absolute truth.

Truth depends on the individual's perspective.

Facts are independent of individual perspective.

Alpha Centauri
It's absolutely certain that gravity exists. There are such things as absolute truths.

-AC

big gay kirk
good points one and all... but I'm not here to debate what truth is... merely to ask if, given an omnipotent deity (which for the purpose of this discussion we will accept as an immutable fact, no arguing!!) do we have to accept that the truth given to us is the only truth... in other words, can 2+2=4, 56 and a sperm whale all at the same time, while being impossible for 2+2 to bequal 4, 56 or a sperm wahle, at the same time as it is....

Adam_PoE
Omnipotence or "all powerfulness" is not an existent characteristic as illustrated in the paradox, "Could an all powerful being create a stone so heavy even he could not lift it?"

Since the existence of omnipotence is necessary for the possibility of multiple truths, it follows from this that multiple truths also do not exist.

WindDancer
The way I see it is that the there is ONE Truth and then there are different versions of the Truth. A good example? Watch Akira Kurosawa's Rashomon and then get back to me. wink

Capt_Fantastic
Only this guy can answer your question. Maybe he should write a Bible, or make himself flesh in the form of his "son".

And if anything is possible for this God, then anything could be true...in multiple ways.

Ytaker
Unless you go into pure mathamatics. The truth can become a fact then forever.

Cipher
How can two things be true, but they each prove the other to be untrue? Is that possible, because it doesn't sound like it....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.