Chance

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Samurai Guy
This kind of stems from a debate on God's existance... but it can go so much further.

A rope-bridge collapses and dozens die, while one person trips and does not make their when he expected. A plane loses a wing and hundreds die, while one person gets a flat tire on his way to the airport, cursing as the plane leaves without him.

Natural Selection, or pure random acts?

Darth Revan
Pure coincidence. If it were natural selection, if anything, the person who was late would have died for some reason, because if anything, being late proves they were inferior to the people who were on time. The people on the plane have no control over whether or not the wing breaks off...

Nazgulinthedark
^ i agree, its pure chance. and i don't see how it questions the existance of God.

ragesRemorse
I think there is chance, and fate in life. i dont think fate changes when it is your time to go, i think chance is just somthing that is natural in existence. I mean, why couldnt there be fate, and chance?

Ms Hyde
^ Chance is used to simplify complex mathematics one eye

m!$hA
i think its a conincidence yes

chelsea24
coincidence yes

Alpha Centauri
Coincidence, IMO.

-AC

Samurai Guy
"How can God let bad things happen to good people?"

The all important question. An all-loving, all-powerful God allowing good people to feel pain.

Alpha Centauri
Because why would he have created all that is, just to help us out when we **** up? The point is to take care of ourselves and learn from our mistakes. Bush got into office, so God's plans are going to smitherines.

-AC

myaktrustsnoone
Heh and sometimes he may do things to test ones fate. In a passage from the bible God lets Lucifer do anything he wants to a person except hurt him. But the person keep praying. Lucifer kills his animals his crops and his family. Then makes him incredibly poor ect ect. So Lucifer returns to god and says he will lose faith if you let metouch him. So God agrees but only if Lucifer does not kill him. So Lucifer makes him very very sick. But he still prays.

I believe it is a test of faith, not for the ones that died but for the families that lost someone.

Samurai Guy
In a nutshell, AC...

GOD CANNOT DO EVERYTHING.

And what if the creation of the world, God making order out of chaos, is not yet finished?

It said that God made the world in Seven days... that is obviously not true. What if we are (using the time line of seven days) living in Saturday morning?

The cataclismic activity... hurricanes, earthquakes, typhoons, etc., they are called "Act's of God," as though they are God doing a little housecleaning with those who do not fit the righteous profile. They are acts of nature.

God doesn't interfere with the laws of physics. God will not stop bullets for people, because that is interfering with human choice.

Alpha Centauri
"And what if the creation of the world, God making order out of chaos, is not yet finished?"

Then he should hurry it up wink.

-AC

ragesRemorse
Because God gave us freedom of choice and chose to never interfere with mankinds existence after the whole burning of the Earth and 40 days of rain thing. One of the oldest sayings...SHIT HAPPENS.

Silver Stardust
I think it's coincedence, nothing else to it.

Turbo-Cajun
God doesnt affect daily life, because... well he is Christianity's imaginary friend. Chance I can believe in... there is a chance Ill get hit by a car while crossing the street.... there is a chance Ill win the powerball... there is a chance Ill find a wallet laying on the sidewalk...

All of those things are coincidence without any kind of meaning or purpose to them.

Nazgulinthedark
did God make the airplane? No. Did God make the bridge? No. Did God cause either one of them to break? No. It was in no way God's fault that the human race can't build things that work. And since it was not God's fault, it was not His responsibility to fix it.

Syren
For those who don't believe in God it has to be coincidence, so using God as an argument for isn't feasible. We'll be going round in circles, again wink

Ytaker
Check out Revalations. It details the Anti-christ, which is clearly part of God's plan, if it's in the bible.

Ytaker
Don't stick out a fact that is going to be pointlessly contested. Many people don't think he's an imaginary friend. They have a point of logic too far from yours for you to contest it, as we do from you.

For instance some people might say that your finding of the wallet was purposely engineered to make you do a good act by giving it back. Not that the fact is any use, or has any way to prove it. It's just a possibility.

Turbo-Cajun
I agree maybe not a good move bringing up the same shit again but really... please.

I use logic. I dont see god, I dont have conversations with god, I dont feel god's presence, I have no way of knowing that whether or not he exists... I spent years going to church, I tried listening for him... I tried calling to him during some pretty shitty times, nothing... I tried calling to him during some good times, still nothing. No guidance, no signs, no help, no nothing. Logically, there either is no god, or god just hates alot of people because alot of people ask for help and only get silence...

Christianity isn't founded on logic... its founded on faith. Faith may be enough for you, but not for me. Christianity isnt logical... if it were logical people would have no problem believe in your stories.

Having faith is fine, for you... just quit pretending though that Christianity is logical. It has tons of holes, inconsistencies, and unexplained areas within it which require faith to believe in. It has nothing to do with logic.

As I said before, lots of people believe in Santa and the Easter Bunny... just because lots of people believe in him or have faith in him doesnt mean he isnt imaginary...

Nazgulinthedark
Have you ever read the verse in the bible about the mustard seed? It goes something along the lines of "if you had as much faith as a mustard seed, you could tell the mulberry bush to uproot itself and be replanted in the sea." thats not exactly how it goes, but that is the main jist of it.
people don't have that amout of faith, they infact was a very very small amout of faith. we can't move mulberry bushs because we doubt. there is still that amout of skeptacism in our heads that appears when we pray and tells us, 'hey, this might not work cause im not entirly sure there actually is a God, and what if He doesn't answer me?" could be why prayers sometimes arn't answered. i dont know. but God works in odd ways sometimes, and sometimes an unanswered prayer can be a blessing in disguise. wink

Samurai Guy
If God is all powerful, he could have intervened is the most common train of thought on those subjects.

Nazgulinthedark
And not let people figure it out by themselves? I don't know about you, but I hate when someone helps me, I like to do things by myself, so they can be mine, and mine alone.
And plus, God could have alot to do with helping people. He could have done alot for people to help discover what hey need, but you need to learn from your mistakes, or really, a subject in my opinion wont sink in, nor be as clear, if some one just gave you the answers and you didnt do anything.

The Omega

Ytaker

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.