Did Michael Moore help or hinder Kerry?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Creechuur
I've been dying to ask this question, but I wanted to wait until after the election.

So, do you think Moore helped Kerry's cause or gave it bad press?

I guess this more for the Democrats and Liberals, since most conservative types like me think theyre both idiots, and couldn't help or hinder each other out of a wet paper sack.

silver_tears
If it had been proven that he was paid off by Kerry or something then maybe he would have hurt it, but at this point I don't think he did it any harm, but I also don't think he helped him.

People are very set in their ways, if people were going to vote for Bush before they saw this film, I think very few would have changed their minds based on a sole film.

RaventheOnly
I wonder what the polls would have looked like without it personally... but of course... we cannot know.... cry

MornGlory
Michael Moore is an out right FOOL!!
sick wacko

silver_tears
Why because he isn't silenced like the public should be? confused

Whether you agree with him or not, at least he had the balls to do something instead of hiding in fear, and being afraid of his own shadow like some people.

MC Mike
Do you even believe in the freedom of speech?

Or are you a crazy fascist?

Morgoths_Wrath
Michael Moore is a dooner, he wouldnt know politics if it bit him in the A$$

MornGlory
I just don't believe in ppl telling lies and whinning all over a documentary-- I wanted to tear Michael Moore's eyes out during Farenheit 911- he whinned so much- ugh!

Michael Moore is still a FOOL!

silver_tears
Do you have proof he lied blink

that's what makes it a documentary it's the truth huh

MC Mike
It's not flat out lies. It's the truth bent to make him seem like he's right. And if you say people shouldn't do that, I think you're going to have to get rid of every single politician on the planet.

RaventheOnly
Hiding in fear? blink Fear of what? blink If i disagreed and truelly believed i could walk out and directly write my congressmen or try to set up town conferences like the rest of us who do not have millions at our disposal stick out tongue

RaventheOnly
A documentary is a biased statement to begin with. stick out tongue The truth is twisted and bent to resemble fact instead of addresing the otherside they just flat out ignore it.

MornGlory
there is lots of proof out there-- !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

there has been documentaries on his lies- there are web sites...

http://www.moorelies.com/

Cipher
Not every documentary is full of lies, only the ones that are made that way. There were a lot of true things in that film, but I for one wouldn't pick Moore to represent anything I was in favor of. There's something about him that's repellent....

Tex
Nothing helped Kerry.

Not MM, M&M, P Diddy's VOTE OR DIE, Liberal Hollywood.

The same people that voted for Bush last year voted for him this time.
Not only that, but the conservatives felt threatened by Hollywood's plans to get out young voters so the bible lovers headed out to the polls in droves.

The young Kerry vote never materialised, they never bothered going to the polls. I guess they were just too tired from going to all those Bruce Springsteen/REM rock concerts! laughing out loud

What this election has shown me is that there are tons of really religious Christian people in the country that love Bush and approve and support all he stands for.
They clearly out number us liberal people.

I think that without Moore and Hollywood us liberals wouldn't have been so energized to vote Bush out, he would've won with a greater majority.

I really dont think America is a place I want to live in. We're going in the wrong direction, with the wrong leader and more than half the people in this country make me sick.

But dont worry bible loving suckers! I aint going anywhere!
HILLARY in 2008! tongue10

Darth Revan
Funny how most of that site sounds exactly like it was written by Moore if he were conservative.

Funny also how you assume the documentaries trying to counter his films are true. Some people will believe anything.

I don't see what the big deal about Moore is. He's so obviously biased, you'd have to be freaking Helen Keller to not figure that out. I absolutely hate when people say Michael Moore is lying about this or that, BEFORE actually having any specific proof that he is doing so, and later show up with some bullshit site that just restates the same things we all know about him, only with an aggressive, conservative slant, saying "see! I told you!". If you think he expects you to take everything he says as fact, you're a moron, plain and simple.

Cipher
Do young people go to Springsteen concerts? REM maybe......

Robo-Chocobo
as much as you can call it a documentary, it's blatant propaganda.

my question is why did he appear in almost every screen shot in the movie? and was it about 9/11, or about how bad bush is? i couldnt tell.

documentary's are opinion oriented. it's micheal moores opinion, and especially about what get's edited in, and how. he took things out of context, and didnt show things that would contradict his movie, even though it is" the truth", that he wont show.

I went and saw a movie at my independent theater nearby, and it was subtitled " the lies of farenheit 9/11"(if only i could remember the title..stupid brain)

also, he is a suicide bomber.

Robo-Chocobo
so are you saying that everything in Fahrenheit 9/11 is true?

Darth Revan
Uh, no, I thought I made that clear in the rest of my post confused

Creechuur
"A documentary is a biased statement to begin with."

Exactly, Moore's film was an op-ed piece, a work of fiction.

You Libs are silly.

I believe in freedom of speech. I'm certainly not a fascist. I'm not Christian either, but I think Moore's film, while he of course had every right to make, still sucked and served no purpose but to hate on G Dubs and further divide an already divided nation.

And I voted for Bush, too.

The problem you Libs have is that you don't know your opponents (or enemies, or whatever you want to call people who dont agree with you). We're not rednecks, or gay-bashers, or religious zealots. We're intelligent people who see that liberalism has gone too far and that it needs to swing the other way for a bit to even things out. Don't worry, you'll get your chance again. You know it always goes back and forth. Then you can laugh at us as we ***** about all the gay bars and methodone clinics that move into our neighborhoods! Wont that be fun!

BackFire
yay, another pointless "cons vs libs" debate. These are always never fun to watch.

Tex
60% of Americans believe the world (as we know it today) was created in 6 days.

They all voted Bush! dunce

Creechuur
Backfire is right. Star Wars is funner.

I have to admit though, its gonna be fun to watch the libs reactions for the next couple of months. Especially the ones who say their not going to stoop to any whining or bashing, but then do it anyways. Yes, those will be the funniest.

finti
you have my condolences

Creechuur
Keep your condolences, you unfunny European. Bush won, aren't you paying attention?

you-know-who
OOOOOOOOOO a tie.... me likey.... lmfao.... well i think that i dont care.....

Linkalicious
I looked at everything Bush has done poorly and made the decision that I was going to vote for Kerry....AFTER watching all 3 debates, and spending a lot of time reading about them both online.

All this movie did was help cement who I was voting for.

Alpha Centauri
People either love or hate Moore, I think if he went about his case differently he'd have won more supporters.

I still like his work though.

-AC

The Omega

Creechuur
Its you Omega. You think everything I say is ridiculous, funny, or both, and you love to point it out, even if you make little sense. Whatever floats your boat.

You know, you'll probably be happy to know this, but you have single-handedly made Denmark the last place on Earth I would ever want to visit. You have lowered my view of Europeans in general.

I'm sure your ego is swelling with pride right now.

Jackie Malfoy
I just want to say I think mick did a good thing he made bush win!anyway I wish I could laugh at his stupid fat face just about now.He has no right to be at the Republican convention at all.
If I were there I would boo at him too!JM

ragesRemorse
I'm sure that moore's farenheit 9/11 contributed a great deal of votes tword Kerry, or atleast lost Bush a few. Other than his film, Moore diddnt do a damn thing for Kerry. Moore is only good at twisting the truth to fit his views on life.

Myth
It helped him. I couldn't believe how many people bought into that garbage. Some of it was truth and some of it was lies. And the truthful parts were nothing new. Anybody who follows politics already knew the truthful crap. But then he through in his own theories. Many people who don't know politics learned knew things and learned knew false things which they took in as facts. Thank god Michael Moore's mission wasn't accomplished. smile

RonyLeBeau
I think it hurt Kerry a great deal. I agree with an earlier post ....that Moore pissed off a lot of Religious folks and the families of soldiers fighting/dying in iraq, and they believed Bush has/had good reason to do what he did/is doing. Nov. 2 was a day to remember for all those people and they came out with a vengeance.

mad In all the hours I stood in line to vote I did not see one damn YOUNG voter, just old white people in their 40's to 80's, 2 mexicans about 26, and 2 asians about 100. There is too many white people in this country damn it...just thought i'd share that!

and I too would like to see the look on that overweight unhealthy liberals face when kerry conceded (Moore needs to make a documentry about how much food he eats and how much closer to a heart attack is becoming, all that damn food he puts away probably could feed a starving family in OHIO) roll eyes (sarcastic) He needs to find something else to ***** about...like his health issues What the f**k?

The Omega

Ushgarak
Liberals in the US seem to have a short memory. Seriously, Tex, people of your views were ten times worse off in Reagan's day. He was much more hardcore than Bush and received a ridiculously conclusive mandate from the people. 49 States, wasn't it? Well, that period ended and so will this.

Living in a Democracy inevitably, at some point, involves living under an administration that you a. hate and was b. popularly elected.

Moore galvanised the section of the electorate he appealed to, but it is apparent he failed to cause some sort of major upsurge that could counter the fact that people, in the end, seemed to agree with Bush. I cannot think of any way in which he hindered Kerry, though.

Creechuur
I wouldn't have you think any other way of me, Omega.

The more you hate and disapprove what I say, the more confident I am that what I feel is right and good. People like you serve me well as a moral compass.

The only power you have, given by myself or otherwise, is the power to make yourself look petty, narrowminded and hostile.

Hey, Youre just like Michael Moore! This is ontopic after all!

WindDancer
Personally Creechuur if I were to visit Denmark it would be to enjoy the beauty the country has to offer. I'd rather know more about the culture than just a single person living there.

As for Michael Moore...well, look at it this way:

If George W. Bush wasn't president Mr. Moore would have not made millions of dollars from that documentary. In other words Mr. Moore is a little more richer thanks to Bush. Moore didn't hinder Kerry's election, but he certainly made his wallet pretty victorious.

Dreampanther
I watched the movie the other day and though I thought it a bit tedious towrds the end (by then he'd made his point) I thought Moore had some valid arguments.
First, remember that yes, obviously Moore is biased. He never makes a secret of this. However, this doesn't mean he makes up stuff, as publishing lies would open him up to being sued for slander. Therefore, you can't argue that what he said was not true. You might not like how he said it, however.

Second, whether Moore lost votes or gained votes for Bush, is irrelevant, in my opinion. I have lost all my respect for Bush a long time ago, and in fact, haven't had a discussion with anybody recently who supported his policies. Or even liked him.

If you would like to see a journalistic approach to the story about Bush, get "The world according to Bush", made by a French journalistic team. It is a bit less biased than Moore's approach, although that doesn't say much. But it tries to be a bit more objective.

Lord Shadow Z
It probably helped Bush and his campaign to get re-elected. The film as I see it was an attack on George W Bush, not exactly a right way to do it as most people would not want to side with an agressor of a situation, because that puts Bush as the victim. Most undecided voters would believe that Moore was working in tandem with Kerry and just trying to score points and make money off such a cynical scheme.

The Omega

amity75
I don't think Moore had any effect on the election outcome. I think the voters had made their minds up before his film came out.

WindDancer
^Yes and No. See there were numerous polls conducted after Moore's documentary was shown in theathers. A high # of the polls pointed that many Americans were not happy about Bush, and that they favor Kerry. But after certain sources (Newsweek magazine for example) pointed out that some of the things in Farenheit 9/11 were not valid, there was doubt on the authenticity of Moore's work. Thus Moore created more doubt about himself than about President Bush.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.