Dawn of the Dead (1978) Ultimate Edition

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Zilverz
I presently own the Dawn of the Dead (1978) Special Edition "Theatrical Version"

I have been debating on getting the Ultimate Edition which has the Theatrical Version, Extended Version, and European Version.

Just curious if anyone that owns this Ultimate Edition if the Extended or European versions are good/cool enough to purchase the set? Or is it just a little extra fluff????

wicker_man
I own both the Directors Cut (1998 release) and the newly released (2004) re-package, mainly for the additional commentaries and feature (although if you own the trilogy box set its on there), however i may get the four disc set because of the mouth watering extras (< huge fan here) but if you listen to Romero's commentary you will see what makes each cut different and why? From there you can see whether or not you wanna splash out another $19.00 or whatever.

NiceGuynj
Cost me over $50.00 but was worth every dollar.

SlipknoT
I have the 1 disc DVD, and I dont plan on getting the 4 disc set until I see it used for alot less.

Cinemaddiction
Extra features don't merit a 4 disc set, for $50, for a mediocre film, IMO. My single disc does me well.

SlipknoT
Its only $33.00 at Bust Buy.

wicker_man
As you said its just your opinion, i know people who have two different versions of the Matrix, which i thought was terribly mundane but its there money and at the end of the day its ultimately up to them.

BackFire
I don't know where you are seeing it for 50 bucks. It's around 35 bucks everywhere else.

I haven't bought the 4 disc version, don't know if I will. I do know one thing, Dawn of the Dead is anything but mediocre, unless you're talking about the remake (which is completely mediocre, at best), that is entirely inaccurate.

wicker_man

BackFire
Oh, I was reffering to C-dic, he said it was 50 bucks. It is not.

wicker_man

wicker_man
EDITED

tabby999
yeah, the pound/us conversion/aus conversion confuses the hell out of me

wicker_man
I wanna find Dario's version of 'Dawn' its apparently a lot more darker and less humorous - so i imagine the 'pie scene with the bikers' will be cut out as will much of the bits where all four of our characters are leisurely moving around the mall enjoying their hearts every desires, even the 'helicopter zombie scene has been cut', probably on the grounds of the zombies large forehead.

Cinemaddiction
..and I was referring to NiceGuynj..

As for the movie, it's an opinion. I like it enough to own it, but the make up apps blow, and it's really hard to see it as a zombie flick. Just the lack of real tension, the 70's cop drama music, and the harder focus on the social jabs take away from it, IMO. That said, I don't think it's really necessary to own 3 or 4 versions of one movie that you may watch once or twice each. Director's cut, moreso.

I may upgrade to this for just the extras, given I can find it for $20 or less.

Is the Argento cut not on the 3rd disc as the "European Cut?

Zilverz
The European Version is the Argento's cut .. that guy posting must not have realised

Seems like several others here are in the dark about if these 3 versions are really worth the purchase.

Anyone that has bought this set Please responds and shed some light for all of us.

§nakehead
The remake was far more scary because the zombies were fast unlike the orginals.

Evil Dead
the remake was far more thrilling...........but I believe the original to be more creepy, which I deem to be more scary.

WELCOME BACK WICKER MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wicker_man
Cheers man, good to see you again smile, always good to see another friendly face, particuarly one with as good taste as yourself.

wicker_man
I believe there are two European versions out. At the editing stages of 'Dawn'. Romero decided to split the responsibility between him and Dario, with Romero editing for all English speaking European countries and Dario editing for all the predominantly not English speaking ones.

Zilverz
on disc 3 it has the european version and Dario's Bio ... i would only imagine it is his version

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.