Favourite fantasy author

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Dreampanther
Vote for your favourite fantasy author!

Here I have posted some of my favourite fantasy authors. Please pick one and vote for him, but tell me why as well. Do you like his humour? His characters? The action?

I haven't posted any female authors, basically because I prefer authors like David Eddings and Terry Goodkind to authors like Anne McCaffrey or Andre Norton. I know it's biased, but it's my poll so I'm allowed. If too many people complain I will add them, however. Also mention any other people you think I might have missed out on.

NOTE: No Science-fiction authors! We can do a different thread for them, in fact, I think there is one already. I looked, but I couldn't find one for Fantasy. If there is, I apologise.

I will allow you to vote for more than one author, because I myself find it very difficult to pick just one. But don't vote for all of them! If at all possible, try and pick just one. And please, don't just vote, tell me why that author/s is/are your favourite.

I will wait a bit before I vote myself, to see how it is developing.
Thank you!

BadKitty
I voted for Stephen King. he is the best horror writer there is!

MornGlory
what about Chuck Palenchuck???

well... I dont know if he is fantasy or not... probably just a fiction writer--

he wrote Fight Club, Invisible Monster, Lalluby.. really good stuff

Dreampanther
Thanks for voting, people!

Hmm, I'm not sure how only two people have voted but Stephen King got three votes already, and Tolkien one. Oh no, we're being drawn into Stephen King's world!

The Dark Tower is upon us!

moneypenny
I like Pratchett. He's right up there with yoga for making you laugh!

Dreampanther
What about Stephen Donaldson? Does anybody want to add Stephen Donaldson? Has anybody read Stephen Donaldson?

You know, Thomas Covenant, White Gold Wielder, Unbeliever?

pinsleepe

Laskharis
Pratchett is great, Gaiman is weird, Mieville is just... odd.

Dreamreaver
I think you could have also included George R.R. Martin in this list but thats my opinion. From your choices I chose of course, Tolkien.

Jackie Malfoy
I vote for JRR Token and also Jk Rowling!Best writters of great books!JM

Dreamreaver
I never would have guessed you were a Rowling fan stick out tongue

kanis
alien Right now it it Robert Jorden of the wheel of times saga.

Dreampanther
I've read some of his stuff, but I thought he was a better editor than a writer. I haven't read any of his stuff in a while though: Which of his books are you referring to?

Dreampanther
Rowling writes for kids. There are so many better authors. Have you read any of the authors I mentioned in my list, apart from those two?

If you liked Tolkien, try Stephen Donaldson. Bigger, better.
If you liked Rowling, try Anne McCaffrey. Way cooler, still easy to read, even for kids.

I read the first three books of Rowling, then got so bored I didn't even bother to go watch the movies.

Dreampanther
Jordan was okay for a while, then I got frustrated. He had all these great ideas and great characters, then took forever in going anywhere with them. By the time I got to the eigth book, I had lost interest. Instead of writing sagas, he should try writing short stories for a while, to practice getting rid of his long-windedness.

I ended up preferring Goodkind to Jordan, even though I hated Goodkind's books after the third one. But that might be a personal opinion based on the way he developed his storylines.

MasterWizard
I would have voted for Gearge RR Martin. A Song of Ice and Fire is the best fantasy series I've ever read. The characters are well thought out and presented. There are also so many plot twists that it keeps the story interesting throughout the whole series.

moneypenny
I like Eddings, Goodkind and Gemmel.

Dreampanther
I found some of my books that were edited by George R. R. Martin: The Wild Cards series! It was so awesome.

Not just edited, but he actually created some of the characters and contributed some of the chapters. I still think, though, that his genius lay more in editing than in writing. Unfortunately, I haven't read his Songs of Fire and Ice yet, so maybe I should go find some and read it, before I make up my mind.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.