Baseball Offseason

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Shaolin Monk
Ok I have a question. How do the Cubs have enough money to keep the team they have now, and to be a top contender for Carlos Beltran???? Foxsports, ESPN and the Sportingnews have all said that the Astros, Cubs, and Yankees are the teams with enough money to get Beltran. The Yankees are no surprise. But the Cubs??? Anyone know what their payroll is? i'm curious....

Beltran said he wants a 10 year contract! I just hope he stays in the National League, I like watching him play.

I'm worried bout my braves. J.D. Drew, Antonio Alfonseca, Jaret Wright, Russ Ortiz, and Paul Byrd are the main free agents from the Braves. Smoltz has always said he wants to return to the rotation, and Cox said no way jose...but now that its lookin like they will lose 2 outta 3 of their free agent starters, Cox has said "we are highly considering Smoltz as a starter again."

I hate how players always say "i love it here, they treat me great, i really want to stay"...then they leave for 1 or 2 mil more. I think the Braves might drop Alfonseca, Ortiz, and Byrd to keep Wright and Drew.

DanZeke25
well... i don't care that much where Beltran goes... as long as he doesn't go to the Yankees... i would like to see him go to the Cubs... maybe they can break the curse if they keep everybody ans sign him... the Phillies need a center fielder but what the chance of Beltran coming here...

WindDancer
Both Troys won't be coming back to the Angels in 05. Most likely Troy Glaus will end up in the East coast. While Percy might get pick up by someone in the NL. Or he might retire early. As for Guillen...well, he says everything is forgotten about the suspension, but I have my doubts of him coming back to the Halos.

Dr. Strangelove
Well both my teams pretty much need the same thing.

A's- I don't think they need to change much hitting wise, even with Dye leaving because Moneyball first round pick Nick Swisher has better at bats than most veterans. Same with starting pitching. It's the bullpen that needs rebuilding, with three bullpen guys that are free agents. I still like Dotel in the closing role as if he's healthy which he wasn't last year he'll have a big year. There was a article in the Bee about a week ago talking about Hudson being traded to the Yankees for Posada. I would hate that move with a passion if it happened and if anyone would be traded it would probably be Zito.

Giants- On the Giants radio station it's always complaining and complaining about no big names batting behind Barry. But what killed the Giants wasn't no big name batting behind Barry as the Giants were one of the best offenses last year, it was the bullpen. I like Hermanson but he was only a closer, because the Giants were so desperate and he really did as good a job for the circumstance. I really think the Giants are going to take a big run at Percival. I would be very surprised if the Giants went after a big bat like Beltran as I expect smaller moves like last year, but I could be wrong. If they try to make the bullpen better I'll be happy.

NiceGuynj
Big Yankee fan here and not much needed well not too much since there meltdown.

Pitching-They need a dominate pitcher like Randy Johnson who doesn't want anything more then another ring and the closet too getting there with a team who's always contending is the Yanks.We need a pitcher who if they can't use there good pitches is able too use there secondary pitches and will do great.Diamondbacks might be interested in Javier Vazquez and are really interested in Jorge Posada which is not that fantasy.Carlo Pavano has said he might leave Marlins and his agent said New York is a maybe.They need a lefty as a starter and reliver Maybe Mike Myers(Red Sox has 17 free agents most is destined to leave)David Wells is also not likely to stay in San Diego and Pedro and Derek Lowe could be a possiblity.

Center Field-We need someone who has good defense and great hitting Carlos should be great at that and love Bernie Williams but he should be a DH.

Second base-Alfonso Soriano has horiible defense(second year with most errors in second base)but could hit great and has been a yankee before.Texas said there glad with him but can use his salary to pay for other positions and are interested in Javier Vazquez.Comebacks is a Yankee norm.

First Base-With Jason Giambi's 40 hyomeruns 120 rbi's are miss this season and with a big salary his owed and Olerud is good but it maybe like second base in 2004 two differant players playing on and off(Miguel Cairo,Enrique Wilson)but can Olerud and Tony Clark give results or maybe Crlos Delgado be a first basemen he wants to stay in Toronto but the club can use his salary for other things.

Shaolin Monk
Exactly. The Giants should have kept Joe Nathan and Felix Rodriquez. Why in the HELL did they trade Felix to the Phillies for Ricky Ledee??? Did he even play much for the Giants after he got there? The bullpen is definetely what they need to work on if they want to reach the postseason in 05

I was glad to read this morning that the A's possibly trading Hudson or Zito to the Sox for Trot Nixon was just a rumor. That would have been just retarded on the A's part.

Dr. Strangelove
Well I actually don't hate those two moves as much. While Nathan put up good numbers for the Giants he was absolutely horrible in any big spot for the Giants. Now I don't think anybody expected Nathan to be that good once he got to the Twins and really I don't know if he puts those numbers if he's still with the Giants. I guess a change of scenery did him wonders.

The reason Felix was traded was because the Giants have a rookie with the same kind of stuff who actually isn't afraid to throw an off speed pitch. While Ledee didn't do jack for them, the Giants also got the Phillies hot prospect out of double AA, so it wasn't a terrible deal. I've never been a fan of Felix really; I guess to me he was always a wasted talent because he never tried to develop that second out pitch to go along with his great fastball.

What really pissed me off last off season was when the Giants didn't resign Worrell. I can take trading Nathan because they got a pretty good catcher in exchange, but to let go of Worrell when he was great at the closer spot two years ago and not knowing if Nen would even play was stupid. Also while the bullpen was blamed for not getting in the playoffs I can't blame them for everything, because through 3/4 of the season no starters could get past the 5th or 6th inning with the exception of Schmidt.

G.P

G.P
(Just wanted to let the discussion on the "Trade Randy" thread visible. In a week or so, I'll put the original to posts here and delete these.)

Shaolin Monk
Oakland A's shortstop Bobby Crosby named Rookie of the Year of the AL

Pittsburgh Pirates Left Fielder Jason Bay named Rookie of the Year of the NL

NiceGuynj
Gary Sheffield-Silver slugger award

"El Duque"-Comeback Picther

Jon Lieber-Runner-Up comeback pitcher

Derek Jeter-Cy Young Award in Short Stop

Can anyone name me a baseball player this year who is more better player with heart more then Derek Jeter????

Shaolin Monk
a shortstop, or any position? I can name many ppl that have just as much as heart as jeter, and are better at their position...but i dunno if you just mean shortstop's or not

Dr. Strangelove
http://www.oaklandtribune.com/Stories/0,1413,82~10835~2521324,00.html

I got this off of a A's message board. Interesting, although I don't how much of it is true but knowing Billy who knows. I think for the A's to get Percival they're going to have to get rid of Rhodes. Someone call Steinbrenner!!! I certainly would love to see a Streets or Bradford for 6th and 7th, Dotel for 8th and Percival for 9th.

Shaolin Monk
That would be cool. Huston Street definetely lived up to the hype his last year with the Longhorns. When I heard about him, I thought it was all BS, and he was just gonna be another one of those guys that is talked about after a good performance, but then doesn't do crap...I was wrong. I did enjoy watching the Cal State Fullerton Titans win the College World Series though big grin

but ya, with Percival, Street, Bradford, and Dotel...damn, that'd be potent...I hope the A's can get Percival...you think they would give up Dotel though? I was reading on FoxSPORTS that if the A's wanted Percival, they better be ready to deal Dotel

Dr. Strangelove
I really don't think Billy would give up Dotel even if it's for getting Percival as Dotel to me is the more safer bet between the two with Percival starting to lose his velocity. I think Billy will try to get rid of Rhodes in a package deal, although it will be tough to find a taker as his contract is on a Chan Ho Park level. At least I think this is the last year of Rhodes contract so it will be somewhat easier to trade him although if they're two years left forget it.

Along with Streets they also have Garcia, a fire baller who I thought could throw 100 miles an hour from a tid bid from Rick sukcliff(sp?). Instead he throws more 94-96 with a pretty good slider. I think for the next two years they'll groom Streets or Garcia for the closer spot while Dotel or Percival close for now.

forumcrew
curt schilling's got the heart (or just the entire red sox team)

NiceGuynj
Are you for real!!!!!!!

forumcrew Yankees went to a meltdown and Cardinals sucked and played good game expect tyhe wrold series Okay.You telling me if the Cardinals didn't bunt to schilling at all or make him run they wouldn't win.The Red Sox won becuase the Yankees and Cardinals didn't play well.

forumcrew
and the red sox did play well. and this wasnt about playing well it was about playing with heart.. comign back from getting hurt and getting your ass handed to you and pitching a must win game vs NY takes heart

Shaolin Monk
coming back from a 3-0 deficit, all odds against you, shows heart too

Mr Parker
Being a guy who doesnt like either the red sox or yankees I am an outsider looking in on this discussion so I can say both sides have made good points.It was pretty much a combination of both.The red sox did play with heart but the yankees helped them get there to the series by having a mental meltdown.

DanZeke25
yes... the whole red sox team has heart... Schilling has the most heart on the team... in my mind.. he has more heart than Jeter... the reason the cardinals and Yankees didn't play well is because the Red Sox pitchers shut them down for the most part... so the red Sox caused them to play bad with they're pitching... they just didn't play bad when a pitcher was throwing balls straight down the plate... they got shut down...

Shaolin Monk
Congrats to Bobby Cox and Buck Showalter for winning Managers of the Year. They both deserved it, so kudos to them.

What do you all think about instant replay in baseball? They are highly considering it now...

Dr. Strangelove
The last thing the MLB needs is instant replay. In terms of the four major sports MLB umpires compared to refs in the NBA, NFL and NHL are the best at getting calls right in my opinion.

DanZeke25
well... i don't no.. there i times when i really want and times when i dont cause the call goes our way... but it would slow up the game more and it is already slow as it is... i can see it in the playoffs.. but not every game in the season

DanZeke25
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/awards/y2004/tyib/tyib_awards_blooper.jsp

vote for bloopwe of the year... i pck the Castillia one... i would've picked the Jason Michaels bobble home-run but im a phillies fan so i didn't pick it big grin

Shaolin Monk
I picked the jason michaels play...i was watching when it happened, it was funny as hell

how bout that poor squirrel hahaha

DanZeke25
i was watching too... i thought it was funny too since we were losing like 9-2 anyway

Shaolin Monk
Barry Bonds won the NL MVP...horrible.

Baseball Writers Association of America and MLB need to figure out wtf the MVP award means. Is it the Most Valuable Player in the League? Is it the player that is most Valuable to his team? They need to set some sort of guidelines, or create 2 separate MVP awards. Barry Bonds had another awesome season, no doubt about that. But how did Adrian Beltre not get more votes? Because of the stupid voting process for "MVP", which is left open to interpretation!

Some people vote by "most valuable to the team" and others vote "most valuable in the league"...I truly believe that Adrian Beltre deserved this honor for 2004. He had tremendous numbers all around.

I just wish that they would say "The MVP award is for the player that is most valuable in the league" or "The MVP award is for the player that is most valuable to his team". That prolly wouldn't do anything anyways, huh? Everyone gonna vote however they want to vote.

DanZeke25
omar vizquel signed with the Giants

Dr. Strangelove
Great move by the Giants. It shores up the shortstop position defensively as both Deivi Cruz and Ransom were liabilities on defense and Vizquel is a steady hitter and a base stealer while Cruz was always up and down with the bat.

wuTa
dude, barry bonds is the most valuable player on the giants...im not sure im gettin what you said...if your saying bonds doesnt deserve the award than i STRONGLY disagree if your saying beltran was overlooked somewhat than i can see that but there is no way beltran deserved that award over bonds

cal31
Yup, without Bonds, the Giants would've been a last place team. If the Astros' didn't have Beltran, they would've finished 2nd most likely or even still made it to the playoffs. I applaud the writers for looking past the problems a lot of them have had with Bonds and realizing that he deserves the award.

Shaolin Monk
Naw, not Carlos Beltran...I said Adrian Beltre, of the Dodgers...I completely agree that Bonds was the MVP of the Giants...but I don't think he was the MVP of the National League...my complaint isn't necessarily that Bonds won the MVP...this is my main complaint:

The Baseball Writers Association of America and MLB need to establish a guideline when voting for the MVP award. Some ppl vote for the person that helps their team the best, others vote on who performed beyond expectations throughout the league. They need to reach a decision on which to vote for, or create two different MVP awards. Bonds did as well as 90% of the baseball world expected. But Beltre had a spectacular season compared to his career.

I have nothing against Barry Bonds or the Giants...so that's not my reason I didn't want him to win. Bonds is one of the greatest hitters of all time, we all know that...so we expect him to do good. Beltre has been a pretty good player, but this year he was extraordinary for his standards....does that clear up my post any better? If not, I can attempt to elaborate more...

wuTa
yea that definetly cleared it up for me..i still say bonds deserved over beltre....im not sure if baseball writers vote that particular way...i think alot of MVP canidates are beltre types where they performed beyond there expectations but to me bonds was more valuable to his team than beltre...beltre had a great year and im not trying to take anything away from him but thats just how i see it

WindDancer
Vladimir Guerrero wins the AL MVP! He really is an Angel sent from heaven! I couldn't believe he beat Ortiz and Ramirez. I was just full of smiles when it was announced! Vladdy deserves it! big grin

cal31
I thought Ortiz deserved it in the AL, but that's just me

Shaolin Monk
Troy Percival signed with the Tigers, 2 year 12 million dollars...I didn't see this coming AT ALL...I thought he might find a home in the National League

Yes WindDancer...I couldn't believe he beat out Manny or Ortiz either

DanZeke25
vladdidmt surprise me.. look at his last week in the season.. they wouldn't have made the playoffs with out him

WindDancer
It was a shame that the team didn't offer any interest on Percy. But I guess they are pushing to have K-Rod or Donnelly to be our closer.

Anyone has a clue as to why Pedro is talking to King George???

Shaolin Monk
Read this http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3171356

Not that I necessarily agree with it, but it's sorta interesting as to why Pedro should leave

forumcrew
i say let him go but not to ny

DanZeke25
The Expos are now the Nationals... The Washington Nationals.. there Home jersey is red.. they don't no about away yet, there logo is gonna be red, white, blue and gold

Dr. Strangelove
Great move by Billy getting Kendall. I've always been a fan of his as whenever he faced the Giants he always gave them trouble, and in my opinion he's one of the toughest outs in baseball. He fits in perfectly in the A's system with a career .387 on base percentage. And they get rid of a inconsistent Redman and a washed up Rhodes, both had two years left on their contract.

Been a pretty good offseason for both of my teams so far. smile

Shaolin Monk
yes it has ya [email protected]/k...wish somethin would happen in atlanta...but maybe no news is good news?

the giants also goin after Armando Benitez now...

cal31
yeah I'm still waiting for the Twins to sign Pedro for more than their whole team combined laughing

Dr. Strangelove
Armando Benitez with the Giants...I like!drool

I guess after the Raiders signed Warren Fat whose been a bust and the Kings biggest signing this offseason was Greg Osterfat and Osterfat is well...Osterfat, some good signings were eventually going to happen to some of my teams. smile

WindDancer
Halos gave them a good trade with Jose Guillen. It will improve in their bats and the teams looks like building up. Interesting baseball coming from Washington soon.

DanZeke25
I heard that the Nationals want Griffey. And here is a rumor i saw on Phillies.com its a 4 way deal

Phillies get: Andrew Jones from the Braves
Braves: Gat Kevin Brown from Yankees
D-Backs: get Phillies prospescts
Yankees get: take a wild guess, Randy Johnson

now, i like the part about the Phillies getting Jones, but i dont like tha part about the Yankees getting Johnson, so i hope that trade doesn't go down. Its just a rumor anyway.

WindDancer
It's official Benitez signs with the Giants for 3 years. Finally Gagne is going to have some competion in the west.

Shaolin Monk
I love Andruw Jones in CF, but dislike him at the plate...never know what Andruw you are gonna see...I would almost be all for that trade...especially because Lofton would come to Atlanta with Brown, and the possibilities of getting some of the Phillies prospects. But like you said Zeke, I don't want Johnson goin to the Yankees.

The one thing that is tough about 3 way/4 way deals is that every party must agree....and thats extremely hard to do.

It would bother me to see Andruw leave, as he said before the trading deadline this year(when the Braves and White Sox were thinkin bout swapping Magglio Ordonez for Jones) that he loves Atlanta, would take a pay cut to stay, and doesn't want to play for another ballclub while Bobby Cox is the Manager in ATL. But he needs to step it up at the plate...low and away is his nemesis.

Glad Benitez signed with the Giants...congrats doc

wuTa
i like how every year before the season starts that all the "experts" say the giants are going to suck and be lucky if they dont finish last yet every year there in the playoff race

Shaolin Monk
which is why the only baseball analysts I really like are Peter Gammons, Harold Reynolds, and Ken Rosenthal. I've talked with Rosenthal a few times, and got a nice email from him in September, thanking me for backing him on the idea that the Phillies would NOT win the NL East.

I wish Gammons/ESPN would bring back Diamond Notes, I loved those when I was young.

cal31
Yup, Gammons is the best, along with Harold Reynolds. Too bad Peter is gettin pretty old and probably will be stepping down soon. Then ESPN will probably bring in mister "I think I'm a superstar" Sean Salsbury sick

Shaolin Monk
Sean Salsbury is a POS, just like John Kruk

Dr. Strangelove
I love Peter, great on TV and writes great articles. I also love that he is always open to new theories that most other conservative baseball writers aren't. Harold is great too.

Kruk lost the little respect that he had from me when he said that Schilling should be ahead of Santana on the Cy Young voting because Schilling had more "wins" than Santana. Any "expert" should know that wins and loses are the worst barometer to determine who is the better pitcher as wins have as much to do with the pitchers own offense and bullpen as how good the pitcher pitches.

Monk thanks, it's been an amazing offseason for my teams and if Beltre signs with the Giants I will truly know what it feels like to be a Yankee fan...I know I'm dreaming but what can I say, I dream big. whistle

wuTa
i like gammons and kurkistan...harold reynolds is awesome my dad worked with his uncle and got me and my brothers autographed gameballs from him

Shaolin Monk
http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3211080

no thumb down

Dr. Strangelove
Not surprising since the tumor disease he had comes from taking steroids.

It will be interesting to see if there's a difference in Giambi this year without the juice, because I really don't think it makes much difference on on-field perfomance other than maybe hitting a ball a little harder and the ball going a little farther as bat speed and eye contact are way more important to hitting the ball far.

Certainly this is only the beginning as this steroid scandal is about to explode.

Dr. Strangelove
It just exploded.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2004/12/03/BALCO.TMP

Dr. Strangelove
Nothing on Espn, Fox Sports or Yahoo yet. I guess listening to too much sports radio has finally done some good. big grin

NiceGuynj
There a need for tougher drug testing there was always speculation that Jason Giambi did steroids but people always said that it not full proof that innocent until proven gulity.Screw that see we where right all along so how about Barry Bonds same situations but now time will tell on Barry.

ElectricBugaloo
But "He didn't know" and "they didnt' work"

Bullshit.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1937594

Shaolin Monk
http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3215314

I like what Rosenthal had to say.

DanZeke25
Phillies get Kenny Loften from the Yankees for Felix Rodiguez.

I like this, and i dont like this. I like Kenny. He always put the ball in play, he a very good outfielder, and he has a lot of speed. We also needed a cener fielder badly. But i really like F-rod too. He was great in our bullpen.

Shaolin Monk
I thought it was horrible for the Phillies to do this. Felix Rodriquez is worth more in the bullpen than Loften is in center field and the lead off spot. How come people make these stupid trades with the Yankees! Like Mike Stanton goin back to the Yankees for Felix Heredia!!! Heredia is crap...not that Stanton is awesome, but I would rather have him throwin than Heredia

I think Marlon Byrd could come around for the Phillies...but apparently they disagree

NiceGuynj
Well Stanton was the Felix Heradia of the Mets.There a myth that not to such false is that if you F#%K up with the Yankees you can play great somewhere else sadly some it might not have been that much of a crazy idea I mean Jose Contrase when was dealt for Loiaza some people thought tyhe White Socks where crazy but Hey the White Socks knew they where getting someone they could use easily against easy teams like the Royals and Indians and yes he did great over there even beating the Red Sox's.So this might not have been a crazy deal.

Also Hey Barry get ready to see these things by your records*******************************************
* Suckaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!

DanZeke25
Jon Lieber signed a three-year, $21 million deal with the Phillies

Shaolin Monk
hmmmmmm...dunno if the Phils are gonna like that. I don't think Lieber has 3 good years in the rest of his career. 1 at the most.

Florida signed Al Leiter to a 1 year deal (dunno how much)

Yankees signed Jaret Wright to a 3 year 21 million deal, Tony Womack to a 2 year 4 million deal, and are almost done signing Eric Milton to a 3 year 28 million deal

I'm not happy Wright is leaving Atlanta, but I really don't believe he will be much of a factor for the Yankees. Mel Stottlemyre, who last I heard was fired from the Yankees but recently said he will retire from the Yankees after 1 more year, is a great pitching coach, but he is no Leo Mazzone. Wright will end up like Glavine did post-Atlanta.

And wtf is all this talk about sending Marcus Giles to Oakland for Tim Hudson, Barry Zito, or Mark Mulder?!?! Cot damn, I love Giles...I thought this was just a rumor and was squashed 2 weeks ago...but now it's being brought back up...if the trade does happen, it had BETTER be a 3+ year contract and FOR Hudson, and Hudson only.

What do you think about getting giles for one of those 3 Doc, I know you like Oakland

Dr. Strangelove
I still have questions about the Giles deal as the A's already are stacked in the 2nd base position. They have Scutaro who had good numbers for a rookie last year and they have Mark Ellis who was injured all of the last year, but before the injury he was one of those intangibles guys that did anything for the team to win. Both of the A's 2nd basemen aren't as good as Giles, but they would have to trade at least one of them as they would have three starting 2nd basemen with Giles.

I like Giles but to me a good pitcher is worth more than a good hitter so I wouldn't be a big fan of this deal if it included either Hudson or Mulder.

Hudson and his agent have set a date for a contract extension and if it passes Hudson will play out his last year on his contract and leave. It's up to the A's to give him the contract extension which I hope they do as Hudson is the most consistent pitcher on the A's staff.

Shaolin Monk
I really like Hudson. He is my favorite pitcher from the AL. I hope the trade doesn't happen...although i'm against it, it would benefit the Braves much more than the A's. The Braves have 2 ppl that could play 2nd, Nick Green and Tony Pena Jr....Pena is a SS, but if the Braves keep Furcal, and trade Giles, Pena would be the backup SS/2nd basemen behind Furcal and Green. Nick Green did awesome when Giles broke his collar bone this year, so I look to him to be the starter if Giles leaves in the near future.

Braves also need pitching! Now that Wright is gone, and the Braves didn't offer anything to Ortiz, nor did Paul Byrd respond to their small offer....it actually won't be that bad of a rotation with Mike Hampton, John Thomson, and Horacio Ramirez...but it would be nice to have a real "Ace".

DanZeke25
D-Backs sign Glaus, and Dodgers sign Kent

Shaolin Monk
geesh, knew about Glaus but not Kent...really thought he was gonna stay in Houston

braves signed someone! lol they re-signed "the ageless wonder" Julio Franco to a 1 year 1 mil deal...werd

DanZeke25
Russ Ortix signed with signs with D-Backs and Angels sign Finley

NiceGuynj
Let the winter meeting begin.Watch out for these certain npeople the most.

1)Pavano(agent said he'll make his mind up in 24 to 48 hours from now)

2)Pedro(wil he be in a mets,red sox,or yankee uniform)

3)Beltran(we know his agent Scott Boras won't say until the last minute what team he'll be in but let's see how much teams are willing to give)

4)A's pitchers(mostly Tim Hudson but there rumors going around that the A's will see what teams are willing to trade like the braves and Cardinals)

5)Randy Johnson(Yes talks have stalled but again rumors have said that the yankees will see again if the diamondbacks bring down there asking price and Cardinals are also looking at Randy)

6)Mets(Will there General Manger actually grab a free agent then all the talking and Piazza and Floyd might be in a trade mix)

and our favorite

7)Yankees and Red Sox showdown(Yes Pavano is a major fight between the both but let's see what happens down the road)

Shaolin Monk
i think pavano will go to the Red Sox before he goes to the Yankees. Just cause I think the Yankees will try harder to get Beltran. Also, with the signing of Russ Ortiz and Troy Glaus, keeping Johnson might be a good idea for the Diamondbacks.

Anyone catch the special Baseball Tonight this afternoon? What the hell was up with Harold Reynolds saying "It's not like this year there is a big amount of good free agents". No, it wasn't sarcasm. He was talkin about how everyone is really frantic this year about who will go where, opposed to the past few years. I disagree.

I'm surprised J.D. Drew's name hasn't been thrown around much. Only thing I've heard is that the Tigers have offered him a 3 year deal. I wish the Braves would sign a right fielder longer than 1 or 2 years, geesh.

Where the hell did the Tigers get all this money? They got Percival, they are in the running for Adrian Beltre, they made the 3 year 22 million offer to Drew, and they made a 2 year 11 millon offer to Russ Ortiz.

Now the Dodgers are after Hudson too...I still think if the A's trade Hudson they are making a huge mistake.

I hope the braves are able to sign Paul Byrd. He got an offer from the Angels, and I think thats it. He did pretty well this year, considering he was coming off Tommy John surgery. I would be happy to keep him

Also, the minor league consequnces for failing a drug test will now be used in the majors...I'll post it when I can remember it, or when i find it

Scarpa
Has anybody besides me heard the rumour ther The Texas Ranger mite get Sosa?

NiceGuynj
Yes but they can't afford him like with Alfonso Soriano.Yes they like Soriano but they rather use his contract money which isn't to big but can be used for other spots in the field and I heard they just got Richard Hidalgo recentely.

Shaolin Monk
they did get Hidalgo...Moises Alou is rumored to be goin to either the Giants or the Mets, and everywhere I went today they were talkin about Sosa possibly going to the Mets too

Shaolin Monk
guess i was wrong

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3238234

DanZeke25
Red Sox sign David Wells

Shaolin Monk
can't believe the Cardinals let Woody Williams sign with the Padres...shoulda kept him

Shaolin Monk
finally, the braves did something...traded pitching prospect Jose Capellan to Milwaukee for closer Danny Kolb...which is good cause John Smoltz can return to the rotation, take a cut in pay, and allow the Braves to have a little more money to spend on a right fielder, since they couldn't nab Jermaine Dye.

Kolb was an All-Star last year, but I have no idea how he pitches, don't know much about the focker...hopefully it's for the best.

Shaolin Monk
Excuse my triple post...but this is ridiculous:

A's are sending Tim Hudson to the Dodgers for Antonio Perez, a second basemen, and Edwin Jackson, a pitcher.

Yeah, Edwin Jackson is NOT good. WTF are the A's thinking. In late september, Jackson gave up 5 earned runs one week, and 6 earned runs the following week. Both games the Dodgers won by 1 run. (He also gave up 3 earned runs in 2 innings against the Giants on October 3rd). That's not what you want to see when you are in the middle of a pennant race.

Antonio Perez...I dunno much about him...From lookin at his stats, in 138 career at-bats, he's hitting .246. His defensive stats look ok...but he hasn't done anything special. The A's are taking such a huge gamble on this guy.

I don't know wtf the A's are doing with this Trade. I could see how they would have wanted to trade for an All-Star 2nd basemen like Giles, but since that's not gonna happen, they should of checked their other options. Seems like they just wanted to make a trade with Hudson ASAP.

Kudos to the Dodgers, even though I don't like them

Dr. Strangelove
Do you know if Jose Capellan is any good because in my opinion that's a steal for the Braves.

Kolb doesn't strike out many hitters but he doesn't have to because he has one of the best sinkers in the game. The Sinker goes 90-93 MPH while his regular fastball can go up to 96 MPH. I can't remember how long it was but Kolb had a long streak of not allowing an extra base hit and he only gave up three doubles all season.

It looks like the A's are going to deal Hudson to the Dodgers for Edwin Jackson and prospect Antonio Perez. I hate dealing Hudson but at least the A's get a very talented although unproven player in Jackson.

I wish Hudson the best of luck for the rest of his career as he's the perfect role model of how an athlete should handle himself on the field and off it.

Shaolin Monk
really? Jackson is an unproven talent? I hope so, because from what I was reading he's sh!t lol...I hope him and Antonio Perez perform well for the A's, I guess time will tell.

Jose Capellan COULD be good...but he has horrible command. He can throw 95-98 for a good 6 innings, and was clocked at throwing 100 multiple times in the minors, as late as the 7th inning. I watched him throw a change-up BEHIND a right handed batter. He also threw 2 fastballs over the catcher and umpire. Reminded me of Rick Ankiel of the Cardinals a few years back.

He can't hit spots with many of his pitches. He can be VEEEERY wild.

From the Atlanta Braves official site:

"Unfortunately for Capellan, life in the Majors wasn't as kind. His inability to command his lively fastball or throw his changeup for strikes proved disastrous. In three September appearances -- two starts -- this year with Atlanta, he posted an 11.25 ERA and saw opponents hit .400 against him."

The guy was supposed to be a mix of Roger Clemens and Greg Maddux. Large body, the ability to throw hard and overpower batters, yet the abnormal ability to change speeds and paint the black. One of the Braves scouts called him "Roger Maddux" last year.

I am stoked that Smoltz is returning to the rotation. Even if he doesn't win 15 games this year, it's great for the Braves morale. Knowing they have an extremely experienced Ace, and a capable closer in the pen.

Dr. Strangelove
He is very inconsistent but he is still very young at 21 and throws hard. He probably was the reason that Randy Johnson didn't get traded to the Dodgers because Arizona wanted Jackson in the deal and the Dodgers didn't budge. I'm not a big fan of the trade but there has to be some good potential about the kid if every team wanted to trade for him.

DanZeke25
No! Pavano is gonna sign with the Yankees. mad

Scarpa
Same here I dont know if the Braves will be okey Next season

Shaolin Monk
good point

I was thinking about this today...With Jaret Wright going to the Yankees, and Pavano possibly going there, it might not be as bad as non-yankee fans think. Pitching in the AL is different than in the NL, especially when you are a Yankee. I really don't think Pavano or Wright will throw as well as they did this year, nor live up to the expectations the Yankees have for them. Then again, I did say Pavano would go to the Red Sox before the Yankees...

I have been thinkin about this too.

Here is probably opening days lineup:

P - John Smoltz
C - Johnny Estrada
1B - Adam LaRoche
2B - Marcus Giles
3B - Chipper Jones
SS - Rafael Furcal
LF - Charles Thomas
CF - Andruw Jones
RF - Eli Marrero

Bullpen - Kevin Gryboski, Antonio Alfonseca (possibly), Juan Cruz, Chris Reitsma, Tom Martin, Will Cunnane (possibly)

Closer - Danny Kolb

Bench - Eddie Perez, Julio Franco, Mark DeRosa, Nick Green, Jesse Garcia, Wilson Betemit, Damon Hollins

Rotation - Smoltz, Hampton, Ramirez, Thomson, *Possibly Paul Byrd, possibly Juan Cruz, someone from the minors, or a free agent they pick up*

I'm not sure if Betemit and Hollins will make the roster, but the other 5 will. The Braves will throw a lineup on the field with 6 players that have been All-Stars/with All-Star abilities. So, even if they don't find a right fielder, they still have players to fill the "hole".

Horacio Ramirez is friggin awesome, and if he can stay healthy, will be a future Cy Young contender. His WHIP for his rookie year was 1.39. He worked on hitting spots in the 2003 offseason, and he worked on getting the ball down. His GO/AO went from 1.72 to 2.12. He was 2-4 with a 2.39 ERA until his injury this year. But his average run support was 1.5!!! 1 and a half runs for 6 games isn't gonna win ya much.

So I am having a more positive outlook on the Braves 2005 season than i did for the 2004 season. I was more worried last year.

Shaolin Monk
Braves made an offer to Kevin Millwood, hope he accepts smile.

Make up your mind

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3240016

Dr. Strangelove
There are reports that the Giants are going to sign Mike Matheny, which means A. J. Pierzynski is gone. Good move by the Giants as A. J. never fit in with a veteran group like the Giants and he wasn't a good defensive catcher while Matheny is one of the best.

Still don't know what's going to happen to Hudson as Billy dismissed rumors about the Dodgers trade.

WindDancer
Reports say that Pedro goes to the Mets with a 4year contract. Worth $50 million. How about that he did end up going to New York. wink

Shaolin Monk
yeh, I'm glad they signed Matheny...when I went to Braves @ Giants last spring ( I sat in the first row behind the Braves dugout, it was INCREDIBLE), AJ grounded out with a runner on 3rd and 2 outs, so the fans were booing....and he flipped the crowd off as he went back to the dugout...one of the giants fans were tellin me no one likes him lol...was funny

And ya, I wish somethin would happen with Hudson...I have FoxSports send me all the new rumors, and I keep getting new emails about Hudson...quite annoying...I guess the A's are so desperate, they contacted the Braves AGAIN, and said they don't want Giles this time, they want 2 pitching prospects and a 2nd basemen prospect, since Atlanta has depth in the minors...the Braves site says they deal is "close" but I doubt that

DanZeke25
i heard on ESPN that the Braves and the Nationals want Sosa, there were other teams but i forget.

and Pedro is going to the Mets. miffed
but atleast he is not going to the Yankees.

Shaolin Monk
"This seems to be typical Mets: They're built to win the back pages in January, but come September they're trying to figure out what to do next year."
-- Peter Gammons

laughing out loud

Dr. Strangelove
Gammons speaks the truth...this is just another Mo Vaughn just waiting to happen. yes

Dr. Strangelove
Also, I was listening to KNBR and I heard that the Braves are offering three prospects for Tim Hudson.

Shaolin Monk
Yeah I was reading that today...I get horrible reception from KNBR in this valley sad ...Apparently the A's asked for the Braves top pitching prospect (since Capellan was traded, I think the guys name is Dan Myers), another pitcher, and the top 2nd base prospect

I think it might be Nick Green who goes. Because he did so awesome when Giles broke his collar bone (omg, that was so ugly), he drew a lot of attention. I think it's going to come down to Hudson/his agent and the Braves being able to make a multi year contract. The Braves would be stupid to let Hudson go after just one year, if they trade for him. I still don't know if I want the Braves to get him or not. Of course I think he's awesome, but I dunno if it would be the best move for the future...

They also said in the article that both parties want this to be done with by Friday night. Either the trade goes through, or both sides move on. Schuerholz said he wants to keep things rolling.

Shaolin Monk
Edgar Renteria to Red Sox, 4 years 40 mil

also thought this was a pretty good way for us fans to track the free agents...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/features/freeagents

DanZeke25
Braves get Tim Hudson. I think it was great move for the Braves. But i wish it didnt happen, being that im a Phillies Fan.They traded Charles Thomas, Dan Meyer, and Juan Cruz.

Shaolin Monk
Yeah, I saw that I had a new Hudson update in my inbox, thought it was just gonna be another rumor...then read about the trade...I can't believe they gave up Thomas!!! He was part of their future outfield....bah...Good for both teams...still, I will be very pissed at the braves if they aren't able to sign Hudson past the 2005 season

Also, Adrian Beltre is goin to the Mariners on a 5 year 64 mil contract

Shaolin Monk
"The Braves also announced today that they acquired right-handed reliever Jorge Vasquez from the Royals in exchange for outfielder Eli Marrero and cash considerations."

Hmmm...Vasquez pitched in 2 games for the Royals. Marrero hit .320 in 50 games. Dunno if I like this

Dr. Strangelove
Gammons had a nice piece on the trade.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/gammons/story?id=1947932

It's a pretty good deal for Oakland when they get three top prospects for a player in a contract year. It still hurts losing Hudson as he was my favorite player. I guess I'm going to be a semi-Braves fan now that Hudson is with the Braveseek! .

I do agree with you, if Hudson leaves after this season it will be a terrible move, but I think he'll sign a long term contract with the Braves.

Dr. Strangelove
The Yankees acquired Randy Johnson in a three way deal with the Diamondbacks and Dodgers. I don't have the specifics of the deal as I saw it on the ESPN score update thingy.

Dr. Strangelove
Well maybe its not happeing...eff ESPN's score update thingy.chair

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1947995

Wolf Dog
The Dodgers ****ed up bad by letting Adrian Beltre go. Im ****in pissed. Right when we were getting good too. Its over. we lets Perez and Finley go too. But now since Adrian Beltre is gone we stink.

Shaolin Monk
lol

exactly...i went to foxsports, and they said it was done, then went to espn's site, and they said "it's probably going to fall through"

sorry you are upset wolf dog...

doc, I officially dub ye a semi-braves fun eek! thumb up

Dr. Strangelove
Yeah letting Beltre go really hurt. The only good thing to come out of the non moves by the Dodgers is they will have a lot of cap space, but then I don't know which way that franchise is going so it might not matter. Does anybody know if the Dodgers have a good farm system right know?

Also, Seattle is going to be interesting team to watch this year with Sexson and Beltre.

And badsymbiote and forumcrew, as KMC's resident M's fans have you liked the moves the M's have made this off season?

Dr. Strangelove
Yay happy...now all I need is a Braves Hudson jersey and one of those foam Brave tomahawks to do the Tomahawk chop and I'll be all set evil face...although if I did that my Dad would think I was on the sticky icky. laughing out loud

Shaolin Monk
laughing laughing out loud laughing thumb up

I have a chipper jones, andruw jones, maddux and smoltz jersey, I HAVE to get a Hudson jersey...Man, if I can find this picture, I'll post it here...my parents are selling the house, and it's been up since august, so we have had to move a lot of stuff out...i had to basically strip my room and keep only "the essentials"...but my entire room, literally, was covered with baseball pics...and I took a pic with all my braves jerseys and a tomahawk taped to the walls...looked badass lol...

anywho...

I thought this was interesting...

"Since making his Major League debut with the A's in 1999, Hudson has become one of the game's elite hurlers. The 29-year-old right-hander is 92-39 with a 3.30 ERA in 183 career starts. He is an eye-opening 75-2 when he receives four or more runs of support.

Seeing how the Braves average runs per game last year was 4.7, that is a pleasent statistic to read

Shaolin Monk
bah! durn 15 minute editing "rule"...

Dodgers have an "ok" farm system...nothing more...I remember when Finley hit that game winning grand slam to beat the Giants and win the West, Harold Reynolds was saying the 2004 playoffs would be important for the Dodgers if they wanted a championship before 2010. Because they don't have many good prospects.

Dodgers signed Jose Valentin, the ex shortstop from the White Sox. He is sposed to play 3rd, and replace Beltre...

"In 125 games last year, Valentin hit .216 with 30 home runs and 70 RBIs. That's a bit of a drop-off from Beltre's numbers of .334, 48 and 121"

He's got some pop, but not an eye

Dr. Strangelove
I would like a Smoltz jersey, that be cool. Truthfully I don't have a baseball jersey although I need one. I'll either get a Mulder or Chavez for the A's and Schmidt or Benitez for the Giants.

Yeah Hudson is one of if not the most consistent pitcher in the game. Truthfully he might have had a bunch of 20 win seasons but the A's offense is usually pretty terrible during his starts and the bullpen has blown more saves off of Hudson's starts than any other starting pitcher on the A's staff. It shows how wins are such an stupid stat to base who is the best pitcher.

Hope to see those pic's. thumb up

Dr. Strangelove
ACK...I never want to remember that horrible day. It was probably one of my worst moments watching sports with seeing both my teams getting eliminated from the playoff within an hour of each othersick . Well anyways it looks like the Dodgers are screwed as of right now.

Also, the Red Sox countered the Yankees signing Pavano by signing Matt Clement to a 3 year deal. Personally I would rather have Pavano than Clement but both signings have been good for both teams.

Shaolin Monk
The Yankees need to stop expecting they can take young NL pitchers that are just off the best season of their careers, and have them perform just as well. Look at Vasquez. He was awesome in Montreal, but had problems with the Yankees. I know I've said this a few times before, but it is completely different pitching in the AL, especially for the Yankees...whom have no idea what "the future" means...

as far as the Randy Johnson trade...I hope Shawn Green does decide not to be traded...let's see, who would I rather play for...a team that is just off a good season, has lost some key players, but will still contend for the pennant (dodgers)...or a team that is trying to get rid of a future hall of famer, has made some rather retarded signings/deals already, and won't be contending (diamondbacks)...

DanZeke25
I really hope that trade doesnt go down. If Shawn Green decides not to be traded he will be one of my favorite players. Oh and i just heard on ESPN that the Mets are gonna have a big run at Carlos Beltran.

Shaolin Monk
Over on the MLB homepage of FoxSports , there is the video of Hudson becoming a brave(Video:Hudson In Atlanta), and at the end, Bobby Cox called John Thomson "Jason Thomson"....oh man, that had to be embarassing

bah @ the mets going after Beltran

Dr. Strangelove
Now its "The Big one". It's sure tough to buy a A's jersey when all of their top players always get traded or leave every year. roll eyes (sarcastic)

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1949157

Shaolin Monk
Damn doc...i was gonna give you a hug, but the smilie looks a little too...err, over the top...

I thought the Braves/A's trade was good...but this trade with the Cardinals is extremely odd...Danny Haren is very unproven in my opinion...his ERA in 118 innings is 4.85, and is strikeouts to walks ratio isn't very appealing...I didn't even think his college numbers were very impressive...Kiko Calero was a nice little pickup, but I dont think him, accompanied with Haren and a minor league catcher that is so-so was a good idea for the A's...Mulder did give up a lot of walks, and had a rather high ERA, but he's proved to be a good pitcher...I don't like this deal hoover giljotiini

Dr. Strangelove
Well it was more of a "woe is me" smiley... at least that what was I was trying to imply.

I'm not as big of fan of this trade as I was for Hudson as there might have been a better deal out there but I understand what Billy's doing with building for the future. The A's with their cheap payroll probably couldn't sign either pitcher so he's getting prospects by trading both, instead of both leaving in free agency and getting nothing. The A's probably wont make the playoffs this upcoming season but in the 06 season they could be very dangerous if some of these young prospects develop. Still this hurts as I hate the Cards, so I'll be wincing every time I see Mulder in a Card's uniform.

I could still use that hug as not only two of my favorite pitchers are gone but my prediction that Zito would be the first to be traded is now destroyed as he's the only one left. frusty

starwars captain

Shaolin Monk
I meant the hug smiley is a little over the top stick out tongue

but you need one hug

now the randy johnson trade has 10 players involved...gettin a little outta hand IMO

Dr. Strangelove
ohhh gotcha...thanks big grin

Well anything that the Yankees do in the off season is usually out of hand. wink

badsymbiote
You know it!!!

I realize that the free-agent situation is justa tad more appetizing that it was a year ago. Yet, a year ago, I was wondering why we weren't out there trying to get a slice of the action.
I still am a bit worried about the five year deal they gave Beltre, and I wonder why they suddenly offered him so long a contract when they haven't been willing to give anyone more than 2 or 3 years, and have only done so grudgingly in the last 5 years.
But I don't know ALL the details of the contract he signed, and am still too stoked about the agreement to be too critical.

All I know, is that I thought this season would be a wash--but now, with Sexson and Beltre, I have hope. big grin

Shaolin Monk
geesh, Pedro Martinez needs to show some cot damn respect...he's going a little overboard with his comments...He's a good pitcher, but shouldn't compare himself to Schilling.

Shaolin Monk
welp i'm off too Los Angeles again...moving the girlfriend back now that she's done with school Happy Dance inlove

So I'll see yall this weekend, have uh great christmas

Dr. Strangelove
Have a good time Shaolin and Merry Christmas! smile

WindDancer
Eckstein gone and we have OC on the OC! Of course the Eckstein fans aren't happy, but hey is a nice upgrade.

C-B. Molina
1st-D. Erstad
2nd-A. Kennedy
SS-O. Cabrera
3rd-D. McPherson
RF-V. Guerrero
CF-S. Finley
LF-G. Anderson
DH-J. DaVanon

^Me likes a lot! Happy Xmas everyone!

forumcrew
guess NY really wants to win..

be pretty impressive team if they get the big unit and carlos beltran

Dr. Strangelove
Giants sign wee wee hands.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1952146

I don't want Alou to be a every day player as he's a liability in the outfield...he better player center as I dread the day he plays right as right field in SBC is one of the toughest to play in baseball with death valley and such.

Shaolin Monk
I'm back, and hope Doc and everyone else has a very Merry Christmas (tomorrow)

J.D. Drew to the Dodgers, 5 years, 55 mil

Dr. Strangelove
I'm not a big fan of Skip Bayless as I think he's a huge pompous ass, but he does write some damn good articles.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=bayless/041223

I was the same way when Billy traded Koch for Foulke as I was like "why do you trade a guy who had 44 saves and throws 99 MPH to a guy who lost the closer spot." It was the last time I doubted Billy.

That's interesting stuff on both Huddy and Mulder having big problems in the oncoming seasons. I hope it doesn't happen as I have big respect for both guys.

Shaolin Monk
Interesting article, thanks for that doc.

I too am not a big fan of Skip Bayless. This was the first article of his that I read all the way through since he first pissed me off in 2002, in an article discussing how Bobby Cox needs to retire before the baseball world looks at him as a sub-par manager...because of the Braves lack of production in the playoffs.

Anyways...I agree with some of what Skip had to say, and I'm not doubting Beane one bit. Of course, I think John Schuerholz is currently the greatest GM in baseball...and you could say i'm bias, but also look at what he's done...what i'm getting at, is that Beane is one of the few GM's I have respect for, falling 2nd as my personal opinion to the best GM...I will never doubt him, like I will never doubt Schuerholz.

I like what Skip had to say. I completely agree that Mulder and Hudson could see their pitching abilities deteriorate. But the same goes for any above average pitcher.

The other thing is this: The Cardinals pitching coach Dave Duncan has taken bad to mediocre pitchers and made them good. The Braves pitching coach Leo Mazzone - well, that name speaks for itself. He has resurrected so many careers, I really hope he is the first Pitching Coach to make the Hall of Fame. Curt Young is fine from what I hear. But does he have what it takes to make these young pitchers succeed in the Majors? I hope so...we shall see.

I like what Beane's doing. Unlike the Yankees, the A's are looking ahead, not only to the 2005 season, but years beyond that. I think Hudson and Mulder will both be fine...they might not throw 20-5 3.00 ERA years, but they will continue to be succesful.

(btw, i'm not arguing with you doc, just giving my opinion on what Skip had to say...I would love to tell him, but he doesn't like responding to me anymore laughing out loud )

Shaolin Monk
Eric Milton to the Red, 3 years 25.5 million
Moises Alou's deal with the Giants was 2 years 13.25 million

badsymbiote
I like Billy Beane--I wanted him as GM in Seattle, but we got Bavasi instead. Oh, well. Beane is outstanding--capable of luring talent right now as well as building for the future. I expect the AL West to be as tight this year as it has been in recent years past.

Alou's 2 years with SF? Well, he's over 35, so he ought to fit RIGHT in.

JohnConstantine
Dodgers are donesad

Shaolin Monk
actually they aren't...i think next years NL West pennant race will end much like it did this year...I don't think the Padres will pull through, and either the Giants or Dodgers will beat the other one out by a hair...gotta have a little faith wink

JohnConstantine
well im a christian and i have faith in god, but i dont know about this team. They seem to be trying to rebuild but they are still paying contracts to guys that dont deserve them (Kent, Drew)

Shaolin Monk
al contrario mi amigo

JD Drew proved last year with the Braves he is a big leaguer...i hate saying this every time that i do, but if he stays healthy, like he did last year, he can put up some nice numbers...he's also very speedy, and has a great arm...he pegged many a person last year at home/2nd base. He can hit anywhere from 2nd to 5th...knows how to get on base, and knows how to swipe one. Also, he's one of the few players that can actually steal third. I'd be extremely happy about getting him if I were you, I am extremely unhappy the Braves weren't able to keep him.

Jeff Kent...well thats a tough call. He's not very quick, and his range at 2nd base has declined, which is natural. He's a good guy to have in the clubhouse, he doesn't put up with BS, and he knows how to deal with the younger guys. I wouldn't think the Dodgers would bat him 2nd in the lineup like the Astros were doing with him for awhile...he's a good 6 hitter IMO. He has the ability to hit the long ball, and he can find gaps. We shall see how he fares in LA.

Shaolin Monk
Click Here to check out MLB's 2004 baseball season trivia...I got 18/20...missed number 3 and number 8

DanZeke25
damn.. Yanks are gonna get Randy mad mad mad mad

JohnConstantine
lol, seeing ur sig givs me the idea u dont like themlaughing out loudlaughing out loud

DanZeke25
yup.. i hate them... actully.. the only reason i am a Red Sox fan is becuase i hate the Yankees, and The Red Sox are their biggest rival.. i am also a Phillies and Reds fan

Shaolin Monk
as of right now, the Anaheim Angels are now "The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim"

laughing

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3292736

WindDancer
Yeah, I read it this morning. In a way is funny but stupid at the same time. There is already a lawsuit filed agaisn't Moreno for violeting the agreement between the clubhouse and the city.

Dr. Strangelove
Would they have to put Los Angeles in the front of the jersey and Anaheim in the back? laughing blink

Shaolin Monk
laughing out loud

I was hoping that you read about it WD...I hope it doesn't stick...it'd be one of the most ridiculous names in sports...they had the third highest attendance...they won't pass the Yankees no matter what they do...I hope they stick with "Anaheim Angels" or even go back to "California Angels"

DanZeke25
lol.. i thought it was a joke at first

Dr. Strangelove
I hope they stick with it. It would bring new heights to the unintentional comedy scale. Think about how great it would be to watch Karl Ravech say "now for an update on the Oakland A's vs The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim."

It would be pure comedy gold. laughing out loud

Shaolin Monk
very, VERY true doc...i bet all commentators/analysts would just call em "Angels"

WindDancer
All this talk about The Los Angeles Angels makes me think that the ghost of Autry will be haunting Angel stadium till Arte changes the name. stick out tongue

I seriously doubt the name will stay. I kinda thinking he is creating this controversy just for publicity. After all...Arte made his money in adverstising. wink

JohnConstantine
ok, i think im beginning to understand wut the dodgers are doing. They are trying to get Derek Lowe, and the only way is by dumbing Shawn Green's salaryyes

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>