Subtitles for Wookies

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Mortanius
They didn't use subtitles for Chewbacca in the OT, but this movies deals with hundreds of them. And Yoda is supossed to communicate with them. Perhaps Yoda will do all the talking, kind of like Han did with Chewbacca and C3P0 did with R2 in the OT.

Darth_Decimator
it will be interesting to see how the situation is handled , maybe yoda will take a protocol droid with him to kashyyyk

PVS
simple

the commanding wookies will understand basic

he will comunicate with them in english, and the wookies will
grunt/howl in response.

Huma
Of course, but what I think the issue is, is us understanding them. am I correct?

Mortanius
bingo

PVS
we dont need to understand them,
just as we never needed to understand chewie,
but at the same time we kinda know what he was saying,
because of the situation.

there is no reason for wookie dialogue. i think yoda will simply
talk to the wookies, or order them, they will respond with grunts, and nothing more, as was the case with han solo.\

plus...yoda is 900 years old...maybe he learned to understand wookie language in that time.

waynerobsonuk
I've always been intrigued to find out what the actual lines spoken were for chewie in the OT. I know there is a part in the DVD's . I just wish I knew.

Wayne...

Red Superfly
I hope there aren't any subtitles. We never needed them in the OT.

You always knew what Chewie was saying by the reactions and comments that Han and Luke made.

Less is more Lucas, but you've obviously thrown that phrase out the window.

Bartman99
"when 900 years you reach, talk wookie language you will"

Huma
haha, funny. I don't think they will have subtitles. I hope they don't. Their language is to undefined with barks, grunts, and growls to really be translated that well. Know what I mean?

Morridini
There's no need for subtitles. Just look at how it was with R2-D2 and Chewie, it worked allright even without any form for translation.

Stunrun
RUUWARRRRRGHH!!!!

( Translation )

I agreewink

waynerobsonuk
Nah I'm just a nosey person laughing out loud I would like to know the exact wording. Course it's not needed and is fine as it is, and it probably benifits from not being translated but I can't help being a nosey git laughing out loud

Wayne...

darthbabb
simple, they will talk in basic jk lol

Stunrun
Why cant they use a translator that translates basic, NA! forget it, that would suckstick out tongue

Darth_Decimator
has anyone seen on the sw extras dvd i think during the empire of dreams doc they show peter mayhew actually sayin his lines in costume on set from ep IV when chewie has a line than han says "boy you said it chewie" then to luke "where did u dig up that old fossil" , did that make sense ?? does anyone know what im talkin about or see that in the documentary ?? i cant remember what peter said exactly it was just funny to hear words coming out of chewie

waynerobsonuk
yeah thats what made me think of knowing what peter mayhew said as chewie. Makes me wonder what the original scripted lines were.
I think he said something along the lines of "him being a crazy old man" but I prepare to stand corrected.

Wayne...

Huma
If wookies spoke common that would be alittle to Planet of the Apes for me. Im fine with their non-translated jibberish. :-)

Red Superfly
It's just that these new Star Wars films DON'T let your imagination run wild these days.

What I mean is, we are spoon fed everything. There's more exposition, more in-you-face CGI that there's very little room for letting the audience's imagination run wild. It's a main factor as to why some people hate the PT with a passion.

At least having Wookies just growl, with no subtitles, would at least let the audience's imagination have a crack at what's going on.

It's a strange thing that n00bish kids these days would prefer in-your-face instant satisfaction with all that CGI crap, and then moan about the OT about being more basic, while the older generation are actually being the imaginative ones, prefferring the OT's nonchalant approach to the adventure - instead of being told everything, shown everything, and having everything being explained like in the PT.

Keep Wookies non-subtitled. The only people who want subtitles are unimaginative bores who don't have enough brain cells to think for themselves.

:.Space Opera.:
"It's a strange thing that n00bish kids these days would prefer in-your-face instant satisfaction with all that CGI crap, and then moan about the OT about being more basic, while the older generation are actually being the imaginative ones, prefferring the OT's nonchalant approach to the adventure - instead of being told everything, shown everything, and having everything being explained like in the PT."

i think that it should be a good mixture of both .

waynerobsonuk
Funnily enough I agree that they should remain unsubtiled. But it would be nice if they added somewhere on the OS a list of what was actually said by Peter Mayhew.
I don't want subtitles, just think it would be fun to see if there were any things were said that may have cleared up things here and there in the plot. We all have our own ideas of what is said by chewie, and thats the way it should stay.
This said I don't fall into either of your catagories of 'Unimaginative Bores' or people without enough brain cells. I find it worth remembering that everyones opinion is equally as valid, I may not agree with them but respect their right to have an opinion.
After all opeion's are like arse holes.... everyone has one.

Wayne...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.