Has anybody noticed..

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

MissesDepp?!
That most of the people out in the world that are depressed are girls between the ages of 12 and 18? And the funny thing is, is that they're not actually depressed! They blow things out of porportion in their own homes.. for example:

My friend (16) has a sister (13). I know the sister, we're friends. But whenever my friend does the smallest thing.. she'll freak out. But what usually happens is that..he's an angry guy and he'll be yelling at her or something and then she'll say something so wrong in the situation and then --surprise surprise-- he'll get VERY mad and throw something or hit her. And I know, yeah he shouldn't be but come on! I've told her thousands of time his angry tendancies yet every time he's mad she sees it as an opportunity. Then, when he gets mad and shouts and hurts her or something she'll go crying to everyone saying that her brother hates her and she didn't do anything wrong. Then she cuts herself and changes her msn name to " *wilted rose emoticon* Lost inside.. can't find my way back" and everyone is all worried.

It's actually brilliant, take every small thing in your life, make it sound TOO negative and then cut yourself! There you have it, that's depression these days. What happened to the days when you were ashamed to be depressed? and everyone was exceedingly happy? Have movies like "Thirteen" brainwashed the youth that much?

-MD

silver_tears
It's pathetic, it's the new hip thing roll eyes (sarcastic)

BackFire
I blame gothics. They suck.

yerssot
but what do they suck? and if it is what I hope, where the heck do I sign up wink

but seriously... around 90% of those people fake it big time, a cry for attention
djee, if you cut yourself, at least do it decent so you die from it and if you don't know how you do that, PM me for details roll eyes (sarcastic)

I just hope that one day those people will grow up and realise that their "huge depressing problems" are compared to other problems peanuts... untill then... it's waiting

(note that I wrote that 90% is like that, that doesn't mean you or anyone else you know belongs to that group)

Fiery Eyes
It sounds to me like a cry for attention more than depression.

MissesDepp?!
Yeah, when you cut yourself not only does it usually just look like your pet rabbit went psycho path, but it's not like it's going to kill you.. taking pills, jumping off things, attempts at hanging THEN you'll get worried but some little scratches? so what? My friend took a knife and cut open her artery, one cut ALOT of blood. She didn't take a pen lid and make little doodles on her arm.

Ugh!
-MD

Silver Stardust
I can't stand people like that who claim to be depressed over silly little things. Most of them have never had any real problems to deal with. Yeah, I do suffer from depression, and I have for years. But I sure don't use it as a cry for attention; I rarely mention it to anyone outside of my close circle of friends and family, in fact.

angelsflame265
sad sadly most of the time this is true. A friend of mine in 8th grade said she was going to kill herself cause all of all these different reasons. But it was really just a way of getting the attention of the guy(s) she liked (she liked two different guys during the time she was doing this)

HockeyHorror
yes

pr1983
i wish all the assholes without general reasons would just piss off, there are plenty of depressed/suicidal people who should be getting the attention these people are getting, its ridiculous.

Fiery Eyes
Wow, that is sad. I know there is alot of people out there that really do suffer from depression, but when you brag about it....to me that seems to be more like "wanting the attention", bid diff than actually being depressed.

Darth Revan
I hate people who whine and complain about being depressed all the time. I, unlike a lot of these idiots, remember a time when I actually was depressed. Fortunately it never got to the point where I literally wanted to kill myself, but I thought about killing other people once or twice... And I am ashamed to admit it. The difference between people who are really depressed, and people who pretend to be to get attention, is that the truly depressed ones don't admit it. When shit is really getting somebody down, they just do something instead of bitching and moaning about it all day. Sometimes they get counseling, sometimes they drink, sometimes they do drugs, sometimes they eat too much, sometimes they try to kill themselves... Meaning serious efforts like hanging or slashing a real blood vessel open instead of little chicken scratches on their wrists. People who know what it's like won't brag about it and don't want to go there again.

EDIT: One more thing--I was reading some website, and somebody referred to non-depressed goths as "posers", which is the most retarded thing I think I've ever heard. Being depressed isn't a "style" or "trend" and if you think it is you should check yourself into a mental asylum.

Silver Stardust
thumb up as usual, along the same wavelength as me. REAL depression, not when these kids think they're depressed, but real, actual clinical depression can be crippling. I have severe depression and to be perfectly honest, it sucks ass. There's nothing cool about it. It's a horrible thing to have to live with. I've been getting better, but there was a short period of time where I did seriously contemplate suicide. Thankfully I realized that suicide wouldn't accomplish anything, and that things would get better. And guess what, they did, and I'm glad to say that I'm pretty much out of the hole that my depression caused. But there are still some days where it'll kick in full-force, and it'll be set off by the stupidest things. And this is a topic that I'm really not comfortable talking about so I think I'll just stop here.

Nivek, your comment on how people who've really been there don't really talk about it/brag about it -- too true. Only in the last year or so, since I've really started getting better, have I been able to talk about it. And even now I still don't like to bring it up. It's the people who constantly whine and complain "OMG I'm so depressed why don't I just go die now" who are looking for attention.

And that thing you mentioned about "non-depressed goths are posers"...that's just sick. No one who is depressed WANTS to be that way.

yerssot
*janice voice*
OW ... MY ... GOOOOWD!

everyone is agreeing with eachother here? blink We're doomed cry

oh... *offers silver a hug* if you wanna talk one of these days, weeks, months etc. about something or related to this topic, just give me a ring-a-ding-ding smile

Silver Stardust
Yerssie...hug

Turbo-Cajun
I am not one of those gothy teen girls who cut them selves and I dont go around telling people I'm depressed to get attention and I dont take meds, but I read all the posts so far and all I see is a bunch of cocky bitchs out there picking on a bunch of kids who, while they do borderline on retarded, already take alot of crap... why do you guys need a thread dedicated to their bashing?

Nothing even really was said by one of these gothy teens to provoke this... this whole threads point is to bash a couple of stupid teens who have enough dumb shit going through their heads that they really dont need any extra grief from a bunch of people who should know better.

If you hate them that much, beat them up and harrass them until they go shoot up your high school... i dont care.

Just its pretty pathetic to see a bunch of reasonably intelligent people sitting at their computers talking shit about a group of people for no real good reason.

Silver Stardust had a few interesting things to say... but still though, come on. The rest of this is really pretty lame. Seriously.

Silver Stardust
I wasn't picking on anyone...I just think that it's sad that kids moan about being depressed to get attention, and that it's almost become like a trend.

And thanks, TC, I'm glad you found my posts interesting.

Afro Cheese
I'm not expert on the subject... but isn't the whole problem with depression being really down over nothing? I mean that's what I always thought depression was. When you feel depressed for no apparent reason it is more like an illness, when you are sad about something that has happen (death of a loved one, end of a relationship, etc) it isn't really an illness it is just normal human reaction. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Two of my girl cousins are bipolar and both live in perfect suburban neighborhoods and both have loving parents who are still together. I can't figure out why they are the way they are, so I figure that's what it is to be depressed. Neither one of them are goth, one is even a prep. I saw my cousin and she seemed perfectly normal to me, and then a few weeks later I heard something about her trying to kill herself.

Silver Stardust
Sometimes it can be over nothing...from what I've heard (I'm no expert or anything) it can be caused by a chemical imbalance. But it also can be caused by events that have happened in someone's life.

MissesDepp?!
Bashing.. no. And they don't have dumb shit going through their heads either, they just want attention. Thats not dumb, every kid everywhere at every time wants attention. You might think you don't, but you do. Not just in negative ways, positive ways like looking pretty or doing well in school. The only dumb shit going through their heads is the belief that nobody cares, and I agree that this thread is being a little hard on them but we could easily take a turn into "everyone IS cared by someone." It's true though, unless you compeltely isolate yourselves in little boxes people will be aware of you and care about you.

Right now I'm dealing with someone who isn't exactly depressed. She believes I don't care, our friends don't care, her family doesn't care. I've told her numerously that I do care. All she says is "no you don't, nobody does." It's obvious she WANTS to think that. She's thinking that because it's in to think like that. Depression is the new thing. If people care about you, you're TRES PASSE. All you can do is respond like you DON'T care. I know it may sound dumb because it could 'push their buttons' and then they will actually kill themselves. But if they aren't getting their affects, why keep trying? What do you think people think about before they scratch up their arms? "I'm going to die!" ..no, more like "what will so and so think? THIS'LL show them!"

Most recently I saw my friends arm with these scratches and looked up at her, I could tell she was waiting for me to drill her on how stupid she is. But instead I told her she got a little "nick" on her arm. She looked pissed off, not hurt. I started this thread because I'm sick of telling the "Depressed" how much I care about them, if they won't listen then it's not my problem. Can't say I didn't try.

-MD

*Danii*
Theres this girl at my school, she cuts herself and took an overdose and its SO OBVIOUS that shes only doing it for attention! It really pisses me off because there are people out there who actually need help.

Evy_O
this is one topic I have VERY strong and stubborn views on messed

I have the minimum (or better say zero?) tolerance, sympathy and compassion for the majority of depressed people. I just can't stand it how some can nag and complain about EVERYTHING, all the time, be depressed for every little silly thing. Some even do it cause they think that makes them special, well I say special are the NON depressed ones cause nowadays being sad is a trend and the happy people are becoming extinct rolleyes1

Don't get me wrong, I acknowledge people's problems, but when someone is depressed over trivial stuff, how can others show them the compassion they deserve over a matter that is REALLY important? messed I just can't!

So, except for the cases where the people really do have a reason to be depressed, I get irritated by that "trend" yes And I admire a lot those who have the power to fight off the sadness even though they'd have a pretty good reason to be sad smile

no thread on this forum has a really good reason to exist other than exchanging views big grin you don't REALLY think that any of them are of high importance to anyone else other than the people who post in them, do you?

yerssot
*takes note not to sound depressed when evy is around*

Evy_O
that's not fair, you know my views on that about what I said ... if I make any sense messed

yerssot
yeah, I just wanted to put on a lighter tune here before we all get depressed of it wink

Baylin
Well said Evy!

Evy_O
I'm not depressed stick out tongue

Evy_O
thank you Baylin big grin

yerssot
fase 1: denial

Evy_O
phase 2: off topic

yerssot
ow, you suck all the fun out of it sad

so yeah... what you said in that post big grin

Evy_O
nice to know you have an opinion of your own happy

MissesDepp?!
ha. You're funny. (Not sarcasam, I just say that)

One of my best friends is being one of those people and she said she wanted to go on a walk by her pool and "hopefully fall in" so I told her she'd have fun climbing out and she agrees and then I tell her to have a nice walk/death. And she's all dramatic and "goodbye.." (the dots make the scentence) and when she comes back the first thing she says is "Joel has a real mohawk! It's HUGE big grin"

...does that not deserve insulting?
-MD

Jackie Malfoy
Teenagers are always the first to be depress.But for a station like this these girls need to find a better boyfriend who would not throw things at them.
I say think before you date!Is this guy really a good guy?Is he going to use me or respect me?These kind of question should be going around these kid's minds.
Also sometimes if there family life is not so hot they will go looking for love in a boyfriend and get into big trouble.JM

Fiery Eyes
There is real depression out there as Star was talking about and it can be very fatal and some/alot of peeps need medication for it, (Glad you're doing good Star) but when someone is constantly whinning and crying out for attention, thats a whole new catagory, it's not depression. Sounds to me like they are lacking attention somewhere in there life, or they are just selfish and want all the attention directed towards them. You can only cry wolf so many times...til no one comes and it may be the time you actually need the help.

MissesDepp?!
My only problems relate back to my dad... selfish a.sshole.

Family life has a big effect on people.. like my dad... selfish a.sshole.

-MD

ragesRemorse
So, what your really trying to say. If your going to do it do it right? I agree. I mean,taking a shotgun barrel filled with nails to the face would be a higly effective way at suicide, and would also catch the shock value self mutilaters try and achieve. Nothing expresses a cry for help more than a closed casket funeral, but where are you gonna get your hands on some nails?

Imaginary
*hugs Star* hug

At the moment, a friend of mine is ranting and raving about how her life sucks but I listen to her because I know its just a way of venting frustration. Tomorrow she'll be fine. Others kick doors, punch pillows, thats just a human way of getting rid of stress for some people.

Other people cut themselves, wear gothic makeup, listen to death metal and consider their problems to be huge, when in actual fact they aren't. I think it's pretty stupid to get all worked up about something that in the grand scheme of things, isn't important. Getting worked up isn't that bad if you know when to limit yourself.

Ms Hyde
Something to write about stick out tongue

wicker_man
Just 'cos someone listens to Black Metal doesn't necessarily mean they are depressed. And having been through anger/frustration - which includes shouting at friends and causing violence to inanimate objects, people are still selfish and at the time feel their problems are the biggest concern in the world, it doesn't matter what type of method you endorse to relieve it.

Ms Hyde
Facts from Beyond Blue

On average, one in five people will experience depression at some point in their life

Only 3% of the population identify it as a major health problem

Over 6 million working days are lost each year in Australia as result of depression

Postnatal depression affects 14% of new mothers in Australia

Depression will be second only to heart disease as the leading medical cause of death and disability within 20 years

Around one million Australian adults and 100,000 young people live with depression each year

Depression costs the Australian community over $600 million each year

Depression is currently the leading cause of non-fatal disability in Australia

Depression will be second only to heart disease as the leading medical cause of death and disability within 20 years

Now people can make jokes etc about Aussies stick out tongue But how does this compare with your own country? big grin

Imaginary
I always thought we were a relatively happy country... sad

yerssot
something tells me that's an australian site laughing out loud

MissesDepp?!
Hmmm that sounds about right!

I think it's funny when people are depressed because they're bored, like in Ginger Snaps. I mean.. they KNOW they aren't depressed and they ADMIT that they just want to kill themselves out of boredom, that's why it's funny.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.