universal or hammer?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

bakerboy
Well, what company of horror movies classics do you preffer? Universal has classics like dracula, frankenstein or bride or frankenstein and hammer has classics like horror of dracula, curse or frankenstein or the mummy. In the first one, boris karloff and bela lugosi were the kings. In the second one, Peter cushing and christopher lee were. What kind of movies do you preffer? universal or hammer?

thegreatrudini
there both great i have all the hammer and universal frankenstein films i bloody love em

dean7879
i love em both but if i was to pick then i would say hammer

Cinemaddiction
Honestly, and you can politely kiss my ass if you don't agree, the "Universal Monsters" are boring. I fell asleep in Dracula. I fell asleep in Frankenstein. However, Creature from the Black Lagoon was actually fun.

Hammer, I wish I had more access to. I've seen a few Lee/Cushing titles on VHS at Hollywood. I'll get to them sometime.

zombieman
Don't knock Universal, I think its biggest influence on the genre was the revolutionary make-up techniques its films introduced. Although, I will say that I find the likes of Lee and Cushing far more thrilling to watch than the likes of Karloff and Chaney.

Evil Dead
I'm going with Hammer on this one.

ragesRemorse
Universal monster flicks paved the way for horror entertainment. They were even the first to grossly exploit characters. Universal tried sticking with what worked, even when what worked got old. Hammer took the risks in trying new things. I say Universal though, Those creatures will always be classics, and these classics gave us the opportunity to have our own classics today.even though the hammer flicks are funner to watch

Cinemaddiction
I genuinely agree that Universal paved the way for the movie monster, but, be that as it may, that has nothing to do with the quality of the movie. That, of course, is totally subjective.

ragesRemorse
yeah, this is a pretty sticky subject .

bakerboy
I agree with somebody who has said that hammer was more original and took risks to do some new things in those old horror mithos. They made a dracula more seductive for women and more phisichal. They gave more character development to doctor frankenstein in stead of the monster. They made of the wolfman a more tragic and complex character. But the universal movies arent boring at all, maybe dracula and the mummy are boring at times, but frankenstein, bride of frankenstein, the wolfman, the invisible man, the phantom of the opera or creature of the black lagoon are very funny to watch. I cant decide to choose one of them because i love the two movies companies.

Cinemaddiction
I watched "Dracula" and "Frankenstein" within a weeks time. "Dracula" was basically a vampire man who decides he wants to buy a castle, seduces the real estate agent, and then he has a run in with a nutty professor and they try and kill him.

"Frankenstein"? A doctor has his dolt of an assistant steal a retard's brain, throws it in a sewn together monster, and then the town people try to kill it.

No score, no suspense, just a hollow story. The rewatch value, IMO, is non-existant. I'll give credit where it is due, in the way of ingenuity and creativity, but it still doesn't necessarily mean the film is overly entertaining.

SlipknoT
Hammer

Cinemaddiction
Time

SlipknoT
Can't touch this

tabby999
break it down

MildPossession
Enjoy watching films from both, put I do prefer Hammer films!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.