Should Talking On Cell Phones And Driving Be Illegal

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Silver Tongue
Yes or No

BackFire
Yes. God yes. You wanna talk on the phone? Pull over or get a hands free set.

WindDancer
Yes! But as for the road being safer...no. Nothing is really safe on the road.

Mr Zero
In the UK it already is.

matchbox
yeah, and so it should be! i mean its not hard to put a hands free kit in your car, most cars come with them in for gods sack!

Silver Tongue
Yes but there are places that are trying to ban using a cell phone in a car completely.
Seriously I'm against it. I mean What about eating in the car? Or changing your radio? Do you know how many car accidents there have been because of those types of things?

Should they make all of those illegal too?

Baylin
Yeah and it's really annoying that we still see loads of people still using them whilst driving!

yerssot
overhere it's prohibited too

matchbox
its not as if it even changes anything, all that is different is that you just talk aloud in your car and the little mic picks it up! its easier and you dont look stupid with a phone in your car!

Nazgulinthedark
i should be illegal, but i dont think itd be very practical since there is really no way to inforce it, unless people call in the police with a licence plate number, and that would either require A) getting on your cell pjone and calling or B) writing the plate number down on the peice of paper, both of which could lead to accidents

Jedi Priestess
Well if they do that the'd better be banning people who eat and drive, put on make-up and drive, shave and drive etc etc etc.

I think this depends on the brains of the person behind the wheel myself.

Silver Stardust
If you need to use a cell phone and you're driving, pull into a parking lot or something. I have no idea how many times I've nearly been hit by people talking on the phone and not paying attention to where they're going.

naybean
Yes people on mobile phones while driving irritate me. I'm so glad it was banned.It lessens your concentration and you need both hands if ur driving a manual. As for food and radio - people only tend to spend 5 seconds turning the volume up or something yet they could spend entire car journeys on the phone.

GCG
this is cool ;

i ride a motorcycle and the helmet i use is a half face one.

the phone a have (panasonic) is flat enough to be tucked under the helmet on my ear.

my mate had called me up and asked me where i was. I said driving the bike !

Ytaker
A important fact to remember is that is nothing to do with the loss of hands, in most situations. The problem is the abscence of concentration that you have on the road. It's like drinking and driving.

Jackie Malfoy
Where I live it is againt the law to talk on cells and drive at the same time.I don't know if it is in other states.But it just went through and I know cops are always looking to see if anyone is talking on the cellphone so they can stop them.
I think as long as you can talk and pay attention to what is around you then it would be ok.But if you can't then it is not safe to try to do.JM

mc pee pants
exactly. if you need both hands to do something, your brain should be in it too. it should be illegal and heavily fined. everytime i see some assh*le on the road talking on the phone, i just wanna shout at them and tell them to get off the f*cking phone. they create traffic and hazard that are un-necessary to an already un-necessary traffic and hazard in the first place.

Linkalicious
i think it should be prohibited just like it is in some of the European countries.

I drive on the 405 freeway 40 miles each way to work, and I can't even guess a figure that is near the number of times I get stuck behind some jerk off in the fast lane who wants to go 60 miles an hour while leaving a 30 car-length distance between him an the next motorist.

Going slow in the fast lane is what causes accidents. you get people who are in a hurry trying to pass you at high speeds when you should damn well stay clear of that lane in the first place.

Most rear-ending accidents are from speeding while changing lanes, not just going fast in the lane you're currently in.

emily
why should it be illegal when you can smoke and talk to your passanger(s) whilst driving?
What is the difference?
You are using one hand and concerntrating on a conversation!
Reading/writing texts is a different matter.

Clovie
it is illegal blink
and so is smoking

finti
you should have both hands free while you drive, some of us still prefer stick gears.
If the phones used hands free and had voice commands they would be ok, but as of today too many doesnt have this thing for their cell phones. Tha makes them too dangerous. In Norway you get fined if the cops see you talk on a cell phone withouth a handsfree set, pretty heavy fine too and it suits them well.

vagaryatwill
As much as I hate to admit, because I do like talking on the phone while I'm driving, other people can just not do it. I think maybe it should be banned. I can't believe the things I see everyday while people are yapping on the phone.

crickey77
I think it should be illegal. A lot of accidents happen because of cell phones. I think it is ok if you have a headset and don't have to fumble with your phone when you are driving. I have seen so many people be careless because they are distracted by cell phones. I think if it saves a few lives than it is worth it.

MildPossession
I can't believe people actually say yes to using mobiles in phones while driving.

For driving and using the phone at the same time, unless on hands free, then YES all the time.

NO for banning it in the car completely.

Also, make them illegal in ALL cinemas, that would make me happy. Well unless some accident happens inside the cinema. smile

liltiggasmootay
yes it should be illegal. i still think they should make other things illegal too like eating while driving or thoes stupid tvs they put in cars now.

Dazzler619
I would say it's illegal and dangerous b/c there's a possibility that you'll get into an accident since your distracted by talking on the phone

MildPossession
Since when does the driver watch television, I thought they were in the back of seats.

Linkalicious
they make them in the dash as well...

I believe TV's in the dash are only allowed to be facing the passenger and the rest of the vehicle.

A police officer would say it's too distracting to have a TV in plain sight while driving.

botankus
It is a matter of being safe and also a matter of convenience, both of which have strong positives. The one about safety, however, is far stronger.

Also, one thing to consider is talking on the cell phone while driving in a large city is an entirely different can of worms than talking on one while driving in a rural town.

liltiggasmootay
yeah some are made in the back....which i dont see anything wrong but some are on the dash or right below the roof in the front inbetween the driver and passanger. And once i was watching the show "Pimp my Ride" and they put the tv in the drivers door....like why u would need it there i dont know confused

Imperial_Samura
Yes, a phone that has to occupy at least one hand, should certainly be destracting. Its bad enough to be destracted while driving, but to only have one hand on the wheel or to deal with emergancies is just a bad situation in my book. A hands free one is much more acceptable, but I go with ban them (non hands free)

emily
Answer to clovie. Smoking whilst driving is not illegal in England maybe where you are but not here.

Ou Be Low hoo
Talkin on mofo cellphones on mofo trains should be mofo banned. Yo.

naybean
or people could just use the "silent" function....

naybean
and talk quietly

Napalm
Recent poll says that talkin on cell phones may cause accedents

http://www.neowin.net/forum/uploads/post-48-1090370357.jpg

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.