Talents are Gifts?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jury
I don't think so.

For me, talents are those you can do because of dedicated practice...
while gifts are those you can do because you have it since birth.

It's something like, when you say:

Talent -- you have the skill to... blah-blah.

while...

Gift -- you have the ability to... blah-blah.

I don't know.

What yu' think?

MornGlory
a gift is like have the FORCE

Darth Surgent
I have Force powers. Watch this!

*waves hand* "You will not believe that I have Force powers."

It worked, didn't it?

pr1983
i would consider a talent and gift to both be something you are born with, but a talent can be improved with practice, a gift cannot imo.

ragesRemorse
Isnt having talent in somthing the same DAMN thing? I always thought that saying that person is gifted, was just a way to say that, that person is better than me. Saying that person is talented, is just a way of saying that person is better than me, but not by much.

Capt_Fantastic
Gifts from whom?

I believe when I hear someone say: "Oh, he has such a gift for this" and "oh, she's so talented at that" that they are supposed to imply the same thing. However, who decided to give somebody one thing and another something else?

yerssot
every gift can be a curse wink

Darth Revan
They are the same when it comes down to it. The real difference to me is that "gift" implies that somebody has the potential to become talented at this or that.

Jackie Malfoy
I think talents and gifts are two different things.I have the force too!anyway a telent is something that you are good at while a gift is something that you can do that most people can't do.
Like lets see my gift is that I could write stories.My telent I guess would be my singing.Anyway I think they are two different things and not the same thing.JM

KharmaDog
Talent - A marked innate ability, as for artistic accomplishment

Gift - A talent, endowment, aptitude, or inclination

There you go.

Jackie Malfoy
Sounds right to me!JM Good job give yourself a pat on the back for that!jk

silver_tears
You can't pick up talents, it's what you are born with, like you can't just go all of a sudden and become the world's greatest hockey player because you practice much, there has to be something there to start with, so yes, talents are gifts, you can't aquire them, you are born with them.

Darth Revan
I almost agree with you, Irene... I think that a person could become a good hockey player because of a lot of practice, but the world's greatest, probably not.

silver_tears
Quite true yes

But I just think if you have no talent in you for it when you are born, you'll never be as good as those who do. You can practise all you want, but you might not have the co-ordination, speed, etc for it, that someone is naturally born with, so those who practice but don't have the talent will never be quite as good as those who have the talent and practice it too. big grin

SnakeEyes
well..... i always enjoy getting gifts from people. Especially on Christmas, ya know? It just feels like a good time to recieve them.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.