ESB saber fight query...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

baracustastic
During the fight Luke hit Vader on the arm with his saber. Now, someone please tell me, why on earth didn't Vader get sliced in half????

There is bound to be some explanation but I canna think of it.

Ushgarak
Good question. It was absurdly lax of Vader to allow that opening on an otherwise beaten opponent.

It has been suggested that Vader's armour is sabre resistant... but I don't buy that, especially when words like 'cortosis' start being spread around.

Actually, if you look at the move in slow-mo, it wouldn't have sliced him open, the angle wasn't like that, but it should have fair skinned his arm!

I actually think the blow connected more in shooting than it was meant to; they weren't as meticiulous then as they are now. I really think it was only meant to be a very glancing blow.

Morridini
Or perhaps Luke didn't expect to hit vader and therefor allready had started to reverse the blade.
If u ever train fighting/sword fighting u may experience the same. U start a blow but u asume that the other one is going to manage to deflect it, so u don't put all your strength in it and u are allready thinking about your next move. So when u suddenly manages to get past someone guard when not expecting to, the blow gets very weak and u've lost your chance. Got it?

tpaquin
I was under teh impression that his upper plate (Much bigger in ESB than in ANH) was saber-resistant, because that held the primary faculties of his life support system. That is right where his lungs would be.

Sesse
Why did he (Vader) make such a monsterous grunt when lukes saber tipped his shoulder plate?

Was he just annoyed, or did he feel pain? Did he got scared?

Ushgarak
He was annoyed. Damn straight he should have been; he was SO clumsy.

Red Superfly
Well, Vader was being lax with Luke, he wasn't on his toes. We all know Vader is arrogant in his abilities, and it's been a while since anyone remotely challenged him physically. He was surprised.

And, they didn't practice their choreography half as much as nowadays, so that shot was probably clumisiness on Mr. Hamills part, being a bit too rough.

Another explanation is that Vaders suit is made from a very strong material, stronger than most metals, but not invincible. Like we saw how a lightsaber actually has resistance when put into metal, as seen in Ep1 when Qui Gonn was opening those doors. Maybe Vaders suit is made of uber-tough metal, and therefore, a quick, glancing slice like Luke's swipe would have only caused a small nick.

Also, in Dooku vs Obi-Wan, Dooku cut down Obi-Wan in a similar fashion before going for the final blow.

ArthasKnight
I think the blow did actually cause him pain. In Shadows of the Empire (the novel) Vader is practicing with his lightsaber on a droid and it mentions the fact that his shoulder is still bothering him from his duel with Luke.

yerssot
as long as you don't state EU as fact, Arthas wink

Red Superfly
Yeah but he obviously felt pain. If he didn't feel pain he probably wouldn't have gone hyper and went "Right thats it, off with hand sonny boy!"

Darth Subjekt
If he didnt feel it, then why would he hold his shoulder for a sec? So yea i think he felt it,althought it was a tap like how Dooku did OB1.

Sith Master X
My guess would be because of Vader's armor.

ArthasKnight
Well, no I guess I can't then. But still, I mean why else would he grab his shoulder and groan if it it didn't hurt him?

Darth_Nefarus
I always believed that Darth Vader's armor is made of a nearly indestructable material, which would help protect him. He is also the Star Wars jesus, which means he could probably make new force powers or use the force in ways never thought of before.

And he felt the pain from it, causing him to get extremely angry and remove Luke's arm.

yerssot
cause he's a whiner stick out tongue

eXSBass
I've got to admit, if you watch ESB again, on that particular scene Vader gets very angry when Luke touches him.
Vader increases his speed so Luke can't hack it then does that curly shurly thing and takes of his arm.

Darth_Nefarus
Exactly, Vader didn't think Luke had enough talent to strike him, so when he did, it infuriated Vader into slicing his hand off. He could feel the anger swelling inside Luke and then decided to tell him the truth about his father.

GCG
well in ESB, Han solo shoots a blaster against Vader which he deflects with the palm of his hand. if he used the force to do that, i dont know. But what i know is that Cortosis Ore

Darth Subjekt
I always thought he used the force to absorb the shots...much like Yoda and the lightning in ep2

Darth_Nefarus
Subjekt, that sig pic is cool, but Mace Windu's is all wrong, color and all.

eXSBass
That was Windu's TPM one. It got lost in battle.

Darth_Nefarus
Really? Huh, learn something new every day.

Darth Subjekt
No, actually Ki Adi Mundi(spelling?) and Maces names are just backwards. He has a blue one not purple...only mace has purple. Theyre just mixed up.

Darth Subjekt
But thanks tho big grin big grin

yerssot
wasn't that cause in that one comic book 'Emissaries to Malastare' they switched?

EU, yes, but it just reminded me of that

thejeditraitor
vader's armor is just armor.
if you cut it it would bust and you could kill him. the armor isn't for lightsaber protection. jedi and sith don't wear armor for protection, vader has to wear it. it wouldn't be saber resistant.

luke cuts under vader's shoulder blade plate and hits his suit-covered shoulder and it probably did hurt. vader cries out and then yells and cuts through that metal pole because he's pissed. he wasn't being lazy, luke just got a good swipe on him.

gentmax
They may explain the armor in Ep III, tho.

Darth_Nefarus
He's a Sith, and a powerful one at that. Let's just assume the darkside armor is that badass.
I do.

ArthasKnight
..........No it's there 'cause it has to be.

Ogami Itto
Yeah I don't think its special armour its just the case that holds his guts in and blacks is soooooooo Sith. seriously tho logic would dictate that Vader should have lost his arm after that blow!!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.