Best Female Rock Singer?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Alpha Centauri
The question is in the title Ladies and Gents.

Discuss.

PS: Amy Lee and Avril Lavigne are not acceptable candidates.

-AC

MagdalenA
avril la.... oh (joke - i hate that *****)

courtney love was good in Hole but im not a big fan of her solo material

paz lenchantin is very clever and talented, same as her sister (who appears on more albums than one would know)

Alpha Centauri
Anna Lenchantin was on "Songs For The Deaf" by The Queens Of The Stone Age.

I think hands down PJ Harvey is the most talented female Rock singer at the moment. Her latest album is pure genius.

-AC

MagdalenA
yeah shes a good one

i think rid of me is still her best

Alpha Centauri
I dunno. I think she's got better every album since and leading up to "Rid Of Me". With every album she improves.

-AC

MagdalenA
i think rid of me and to bring you my love are better than stories...

uh huh her may well be her best though yep

Morgoths_Wrath
"avril" and "rock" do not belong in the same sentence without the word "not" involved. best singer? that chick from Kittie is pretty rockin. courtney is a crack-whore, and that chick from evanesence is pretty good too.

Alpha Centauri
"and that chick from evanesence is pretty good too."

Amy Lee and No she isn't.

-AC

MornGlory
i have always liked Stevie Knicks

lil bitchiness
There are tons of threads like this - i will merge in a little while.

Anyway i personaly love Brody Dalle, Christina Scabbia and Tarja Turunen. All very talented and all very beautiful.

lil bitchiness
Also not forgetting Karen O.

BackFire
Ummm.....Hmmm.....Ehhhhhh.....can't think of any.

Paola
Christina Scabbia! eek! yes she's one talented person!

wicker_man
How can any of you forget Arch Enemy's Angela Gossow, now that girl can scream, and in the process shows you how much of a joke Brody Dalle makes of it. And Hole and Auf Der Maur member Melissa Der Maur, she is pretty high on my list too.

Deathblow
Yeah I like Melissa Auf Der Maur. Also Kim Deal (Pixies/The Breeders), she hasn't got a huge voice like some, but it's really nice.

But if I had to choose one, it would have to be Lillo. I could listen to her sing all day, and i'm sure Lacuna Coil would be a completely average band without her. Close second is Otep, she's great too.

Df02
Melissa Auf Der Maur

and how long was she in Smashing Pumpkins for? couldnt have been long... but i remember she was there when i saw em live... and Auf Der Maur the band are quite good thumb up seen em 3 times, so cant be bad heh

Alpha Centauri
I think Courtney is a better singer than Melissa Auf Der Maur. Brody Dalle and Karen O just seem boring I think.

-AC

startxthexmosh
i love Debbie Harry of Blondie.shes awesome.

<<Solo>>
Know what'd be great? If that was even a cuss word!

Vampy
ROCK snger?

Blondie is SOOO 80's pop diva

But she rocks, yeah.

I'm forced to nominate Skunk Anansie, although it isn't EXACTLY rock.

startxthexmosh
blondie isnt pop...

MagdalenA
funny how she still got mentioned (amy lee)

startxthexmosh
i dunno if she is the best but i like Joan Jett too.

Deathblow
oh yeah the bald lady, whats her name..she calls herself Skin I think. God she's scary. Good singer though, I forgot her. She's great on the track she did with Sevendust.

fionaar18
boride dalle, courtney love and shirley manson

fionaar18
brodie*

Vampy
she managed to grow something on her beautiful bald head stick out tongue And yes, it's Skin. She was only really scary while singing 'Carmen Queasy' with Maxim off The Prodigy. *shudder* really scary. But her voice is amazing.

Cinemaddiction
I don't see why we can't include Amy Lee, her voice is (cliche police) hauntingly beautiful.

Honorable mention to Kat Bjelland, Donita Sparks, Gwen Stefani, Steve Nicks, Fiona Apple, Amy Echo, Janis Joplin and all those other voc-gals.

Alpha Centauri
"I don't see why we can't include Amy Lee, her voice is (cliche police) hauntingly beautiful."

That's post Pro-Tools.

It's not hauntingly beautiful, it's monotonous. I don't believe she is included because A) She just isn't anywhere near the best female Pop singer let alone Rock. B) She's a poser.

-AC

Cinemaddiction
It's all subjective, as usual. I heard her live, given my other selections, I tend to believe I know what I am talkin' about.

Just an opinion.

Alpha Centauri
I hear her live also.

-AC

Cinemaddiction
I think" she belongs there. Moreso than Scabbia, and her Tura Santana(Manhole)/Nightwish cover band, anyway.

Like I said, it's an opinion. Add Joss Stone to my list.

Alpha Centauri
I know, but I hope you weren't insinuating that Nightwish are an Evanescence cover band.

-AC

Mr Zero
I've been a Skunk A fan since the get-go and have everything they ever released - I have more SA singles than I have socks. LOVE than band.

Vampy
Wow, finally something we agree on. I don't own any albums, but I had quite a big obsession on them a year ago or so. Downloaded half of the stuff they created, also some of Skin's own projects.

I still maniacly listen to some songs like 'Charlie Big Potato' 'You'll follow me down', 'Lately', 'Secretly', 'Hedonism' or the remix they did with K's Choice on 'Not an Addict'

Skunk Anansie makes me happy smile

Cinemaddiction
It was my signature sarcasm shining through. Point is, the whole "gothic" metal (gag me) band with female lead vox has been done before.

Arch Enemy, Tura Santana, Switchblade Symphony, Jack Off Jill, Nightwish, Evanescence, Crisis, Dark Chylde, you name it.

Nightwish may be audible, if they lose the theatrical vocs, and learn to sing.

Alpha Centauri
"Nightwish may be audible, if they lose the theatrical vocs, and learn to sing."

Despite the fact that Tarja Turunen can sing in the style Amy Lee wishes she could to a level Amy Lee will never reach?

Amy Lee tries way too hard and fails way too often (aka all the time) to be called anything close to a GOOD female rock singer. She has a voice the is monotonous, smooth but monotonous.

She's the Rock version of Jessica Simpson.

-AC

Cinemaddiction
You talk like I'm ****ing her, lol. Forget I ever said anything, as it looks like opinions and personal bias is going to be a roadblock here.

Alpha Centauri
I respect opinions but I posted in my first post that Amy Lee and Avril Lavigne don't count. Purely because in MY opinion, anyone who believes they should be mentioned in the "Best Female Rock Singer?" thread, has lack of or no perception as to what musical talent is.

If it was your thread, fair enough. People mentioned Brody Dalle, I think she's shit but she is a female Rock singer who is honest with her music and her words. Unlike Amy Lee for reasons I have stated.

I like Stevie Nicks, which is one of the names you mentioned but you also mentioned Joss Stone who is a pseudo-RNB singer.

So if you don't like the criteria or guidelines set forth in my thread, leave.

-AC

Capt_Fantastic
Best Female Rock singer?

Tina Turner

Df02
that was a really good track, and most of the Skunk Anansie stuff was really good.
the 90's were actually a REALLY good era for music

Blind-Enemy
have any one heard interviews with amy lee???

she thinks Evanescence's doing something unique and original... low-end rhythms sound deeper when they're offset by Lee's vocals wafting a few octaves above.

"Who would have thought they'd work together," Lee said of Evanescence's seemingly conflicting styles. "I'm surprised people didn't figure out that those two things went together before."

(quote taken from an mtv interview http://www.mtv.com/bands/e/evanescence/news_feature_061303/index2.jhtml )

what the ****?! ...Evanescence's nothing new , that idead's been done before by many bands and in a better way than Evanescence'll ever try to be

Atomic Rico
Janis Joplin
and Gwen Stefani if you count her rock

Furious Angel
kim deal(pixies), annie lennox (eurythmics), kathleen hannah (bikini kill/le tigre), brody dalle(the distillers)...they all come close...

but if i were to choose the BEST female rock singer...it would probably be debbie harry of blondie.

ElectricBugaloo
I've said it before and will say it again: Ann Wilson from Heart.

Victor Von Doom
PJ Harvey.

If rock is being defined widely, Joni Mitchell.

Sickened.
My personal favorites are Free Dominguez, Tanya Donelly and Andrea Zollo.

I read that Amy Lee was qouted as saying that Evanescence's new album was going to sound more like Portishead then anything else.

My gawd...

\m/

You Suck
zorro

baracustastic
Annie Lennox is from my bit. big grin

Not really rock though.

I'd say Shirley Manson of Garbage.

Alpha Centauri
"I read that Amy Lee was qouted as saying that Evanescence's new album was going to sound more like Portishead then anything else."

Port-a-loo more likely. Coz they're shit.

-AC

khalla
the lead singer from kittie and my ruin are quite good. and jack off jill

khalla
oh and brody from the distillers

Aku
The one from a band called Nashville Pussy

Lady Ellie
TARJA TURUNEN!!!! She's so cool. rock yes

Deathblow

Korri
Avril...she is so rock droolio

Punk Tiger
The women out of Evanescense, she's good

Fearnix
Angela Gossow love
the best

Korri
Fearnix why are you not rocking to Avril! mad

Rock with me droolio

Miss_Faye
Kathleen Hanna....the girl knows her shyte and she's purtyfulness so yus her.

Punk Tiger
Avril's new video - the song was okay....

Victor Von Doom
Not QUITE the correct thread. Best and all that.

Morgoths_Wrath
Stevie Nicks

WeluvTwinkie
Tarja Tarunen from Nightwish is an amazing vocalist. In their cover of the Phantom of the Opera, she does a siren, and every note is perfect. She doesn't lose support, nothing fades out, and I'm guessing she goes around two and a half octaves in that one section.

Korri
laughing out loud

Libertine
Brody Dalle definitly, and the whats her name from garbage.Sorry my minds gone blank someone help me out here.

Alpha Centauri
Brody Dalle?

Blandest female singer out there.

And you're referring to Shirley Manson.

-AC

room #99
I Like Tori Amos

Alpha Centauri
Yeah, Tori rules.

-AC

heli
how come no one mentioned these ladys?:

Alanis Morissette
Alannah Miles
Pat Benatar
Heart (both) wink
Melissa Etheridge

Elektra_lover
Amy Lee and Gwen Stefani

Aini
Me!...and then
Skin from Skunk Anansi,
Sharon from Within Temtation,
Tarja from Nightwish,
Kristina from Lacuna Coil
Gwen Stefani

Aini
Aneke from The Gathering
Sandra from Guano Apes

heli
hm... forgot the girl from Krezip.

jaden101
most of you probably wont like her

Melissa Auf Der Maur

room #99
liz kristine from theatre of tragedy

Aini
her name is liv. ....sorry I know I'm a smartass...

Libertine
Yes Shirley Manson thank you.

Alpha Centauri
Hahaha, Amy Lee.

-AC

Victor Von Doom
I like her, but she isn't worthy of note here.

Alpha Centauri
Agreed.

-AC

furryman
Skin, PJ Harvey

saw PJ at Glasto, her Spice Girls outfit was lush.. I almost saw up it

Alpha Centauri
I saw pics of that I think.

Was a great great show, the concert. I have it on my comp somewhere.

-AC

Ronny
Scabbia droolio

hayden's minx
PJ Harvey ... no one comes close ... NOT KAREN O!

eggmayo

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.