Will 2005 be one of Rock music best ever years?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Alpha Centauri
With Tool, Nine Inch Nails, Weezer, The White Stripes, Audioslave, The Strokes (maybe), Slayer, The Who (maybe), Metallica (maybe), System Of A Down (Two albums in 05), Zack De La Rocha AND Queens Of The Stone Age all putting out new albums in the year of 2005, can we expect to have the greatest year for Rock music since 2001?

Discuss.

-AC

SlipknoT
wow, I didnt know Slayer was making a new cd.

Alpha Centauri
Yeah they are jamming and writing new stuff according to Tom and Dave.

-AC

wicker_man
Well theres no Maiden, Nirvana's box set comes out this year, and Metallica will probably release another stinker. Although SOAD, The White Stripes and Audioslave are worthy look outs. Dunno about QotSA though since Josh went mad and sacked half his band.

Df02
if The Eighties Matchbox album had been delayed to 2005, then yea id say it was a kick-ass year!

but yea, it is lining up to be pretty damn good

Darth Revan
New Tool droolio

Df02
ohhh yea, and i think the Bloc Party album is coming out in 2005 aswell.
i love them so should be really good big grin even tho ive heard every song off it already and it IS good

Df02
omg and just realised the new Alec Empire album is due 2005 aswell, a step on from Intelligence and Sacrifice...so should be alot more geared towards the Metal side of things, cant wait!

EDIT: hate that 15mins edit rule, i look like a spamming *** now

Alpha Centauri
New Deftones also maybe.

-AC

Darth Revan
New Deftones droolio

Filth
Hey i hope so, well not the who or white strips, Slayer f**king rock cant wait for the new album (if thats true)

Deathblow
Almost certainly.

Thats already my highlight of the year, even ahead of Tool. I don't think Tool will ever top Aenima, but from Chino's description, the new Deftones album could turn out to be truly amazing.

ElectricBugaloo
I doubt it will be one of the best ever. Tool will come out with a solid album, but Metallica's will suck almost guaranteed. Weezer...I don't know, I've kind of lost faith after The Green Album and Maladroit. If they can return to their power pop brilliance like The Blue Album, I will be happy; I don't think Rivers can go back to the honest songwriting that spawned the great Pinkerton.

I never liked The Strokes, I'd rather listen to Talking Heads and The Cure then cheap knockoffs.

The Who? Eh, your time has been up for a while. When is the last time that a band came out with a good album twenty years after their heyday? Warren Zevon's last album maybe? Brian Wilson's SMiLE?

SOAD may find out what many bands have found out trying to put out more than one album in a year or short period of time: It is hard to write that many good songs. The beatles could do it, but remember, they didn't tour at all. They also had two of the most prolific songwriters in Lennon/McCartney, then they could throw in some classic Harrison joints.

QOTSA...I don't have much faith. They kicked out basically the whole band, they won't return to the brilliance of Rated R or Songs for the Deaf.

Maybe I'll be wrong, I'm the eternal pessimist.

Deathblow
Not many people actually know this, but SOAD's last album (Steal This Album) wasn't actually an album. It was an EP. Anyway, as I'm sure you know, it consisted entirely of material they had already written but had deemed not good enough to go on their other albums, which means they've had a good few years to come up with some decent new stuff. I'm sure Hypnotize will be great.

furryman
The Who are now The Two, since only original members Townshend and Daltrey are left stick out tongue

norrin radd

norrin radd
Jumpy

Alpha Centauri
I don't think there is anyway Tool can top "Aenima" but they never try to top anything. I think "Lateralus" is much much much more musically advanced than Aenima in both lyrics and music. It holds alot more meaning aswell I believe, that album has helped me find myself and establish views of life, reality, etc that I never had before. I don't think "Lateralus" can be topped but they're either gonna put out something equally astounding or something better, even if it's completely different. I'm thinking that it'll be a blend of "Aenima" and "Lateralus" in the sense that Danny Carey has repeatedly said it's ALOT more heavier but it also has alot that is the deepest stuff they've done. I never have to worry about Tool putting out a "good" next album, it's a guarantee that it'll be light years infront of most bands anyway.

I think "Maladroit" was a great album, their best since "Pinkerton" I think. "The Green Album" was very good but extremely short.

As for other bands mentioned, half the bands I love will never return to the peaks of their careers again ever, but all I expect is that they keep making honest music that I can love and enjoy. Whether QOTSA top "Songs For The Deaf" or not, to me is a side-issue. As long as they put out a great album I'll be happy. Josh Homme is extremely talented albeit arrogant, he's a talented bassist and he handled the bass on the album from what I heard. I'm hoping it'll be great.

-AC

Cinemaddiction
I was late to find tracks off of "GHUA", but when I did, they blew my ****ing mind, especially "Warzone".

New Slayer? Bring it on. Word is there is a new Hatebreed album in the works too, as well as Jamie Jasta's sideband, Icepick.

Alpha Centauri
Infact it was Jamey Jasta who asked Tom Araya and Dave Lombardo when new shit was coming out and they said next year.

-AC

ElectricBugaloo
I think "Maladroit" was a great album, their best since "Pinkerton" I think. "The Green Album" was very good but extremely short.

listen to Maladroit again. Half-assed guitar solos, half assed lyrics, it was obvious that it was a rush job. Weezer wanted to try to be an arena rock band, but that's not their style. It was just horrible.

Alpha Centauri
Why would listening to it again change my opinion? The guitar solos may have been under par and the lyrics not as great as Rivers is capable of but musically I loved the rest of the album, which is what music is about...the music.

-AC

ElectricBugaloo
maybe i just can't stand his horribel attempts at aping hard rock

Lord_Andres
Yup 2005 will be a good music year alot of the 80's bands are coming back Happy Dance looks like the world is beginning to wake up from its long AOR/Melodic/Hard Rock sleep! Happy Dance

finti
sleep, it was a freekin nightmare I hope I never wake to hear it again

CherryPie
NO SH!T

qotsa are NOT 80's

f**ker!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.