Origin

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SnakeEyes
I am finally getting around to reading this and i am sure many of u have read it. I am about 2 thirds of the way through and i just wanted to talk about it and hear other opinions.

Nathaniel Grey
It was a decent concept but could have been handled much better. In my opinion when dealing with characters who have a mysterious past it's always best to leave it that way. Especially when that clouded history brings a great deal of appeal to that character. I liked Wolverine because you had no idea WHO or where he was from. You just knew he was a bad mofo supposedly from Canada.

They pretty much gut everything it is I use to conceptualize about Logan. Especially when they gave him a " name ". That I could have done without. Now I see the blasted name everywhere and it's horrible that they've been trying to integrate it into continuity. Origin could've been a story without words or explanation. Just allowing you a small glimpse of what was occurring in his past and allowing you based on conjecture to determine what was going on. They did that somewhat but it wasn't appealing at all to me. I gave it a 6 out of 10.

norrin radd

Paola
I liked it very much.

It lets you see a side of Wolverine you never knew about, and didn't expect it (at least, I didn't)

A very 'tragic' past yes

SnakeEyes
lol thanks, i am gonna finish it tomorrow. too tired now

Darth Jello
hmm, well until "the end" came out, I was convinced that Dog was really Cyber. but now....
at least this one doesn't have as many contradictions as bullseye: greatest hits, course all of his origins are probably true from a certain point of view...

SnakeEyes
Okay i just finished reading it and i must say i was pleased with it! Does anyone know whether they are going to make a sequel to it... maybe showing what happens next and when he goes to Japan and so forth?

Havoc470
i dont know, but there is a wolverine comic named netsuke thats about his life in japan, i only got 2 issues and it wasnt what i expected but i thought it was a good comic

i think its great that they showed the life he doesnt remember, sure its cool to have a character with a mysterious past, but it's only so long till it really doesnt matter anymore, i mean he's been around so long in comics that before origins i considered his past as his first appearance and the whole weaponX story, but it was cool to finally explore his childhood and what it was like, the whole Logan thing was great imo

btw snakeeyes i love the achilles quote

norrin radd

SnakeEyes
Thanks cool

Havoc470
no problem smokin'

yeah i loved the art, the story was a little too wierd like soul of a samurai, but im definitely going to pick up more issues to check all of it out

norrin radd

SnakeEyes
I basically agree with what ur saying. Origin explained a LOT about Wolverine's history, but it also left a LOT a mystery, and maybe that was their intention. But i kinda hope they make another Origin that continues the story, because they could do some pretty neat things. Dog and Sabretooth are completely different i think. As for the John Howlett being Sabretooth, i think that is a possibility, because of the mother and her scars and so forth...

ScarletSpider
You mean Sabretooth being Wolverine's dad? They messed around with that possibility in the 90's I think, but it went nowhere so they did a DNA test confirming they weren't related.

norrin radd

radioboy121
I doubt it would be effective if the story was completely without words as Albert Lamorisse's "The Red Balloon."

At first, I also thought Dog was Sabertooth in the beginning, but the healing factor issue...

Beyond the Origins series, one of my favorite Wolverine flashbacks is the one with him fighting (beserk with only a knife) against the Germans in Normandy through the perspective of a Canadian private.

Darth Jello
"i'll hunt him down like a dog"-that fits into Cyber's powers.

Irish Wolverine
If Dog was Sabretooth, his healing factor might not kick in until later in life perhaps.

eleveninches
was it ever actually confirmed that james howletts real father was the groundskeeper?

norrin radd
it was never confirmed, but i think its obvious that Thomas logan had an affair with james mother, and the resemblances speak for themselves

eleveninches
do would the groundskeeper logan have had claws as well? James did, so would dog logan have also had claws (being related to james)

Havoc470
gahhh, confusion all around...damn similar names they always confuse you in a tightly wound story

lightaxe
I dont think that he had claws or powers because one stab killed him

norrin radd

Havoc470
sabretooth and wolverine arent related, they tried it.....it sucked...they changed it

norrin radd

Havoc470
O_o what do you mean, wolverine lost his adamantium in '93 and then had bone claws till '99

norrin radd

Havoc470
yeah, but his healing factor blocks bad memories from his mind, and with that the bone claws which he had to use to kill logan went also

by the way in one of the WWII stories with cap he wears claws to scale a wall and says "hmmm, these feel familiar...i think i'll keep 'em" and took a few enemies out with them lol

the writer read everything there was so he could get ready for origins, he had thousands of comics to read so the story could be told great and it was

norrin radd

Darth Jello
yeah, it is. half of wolvie's amnesia is caused by himself.

Nataku8188
More then half. He erases memories like a whore erases cocoastrips. I have no idea what im talking about.

Origin was good.

Irish Wolverine
It's pretty obvious that the groundskeeper was his dad. He looks just like Wolverine. You don't have to be a mutant to have a mutant for a child, or vice versa. Sabretooth and Mystique had a kid together, and he was a human, not a mutant.

One reason I think Dog is Sabretooth is that he looks like him, from what I can remember. It kind of makes sense to have Sabretooth and Wolverine be related, because of their similiar powers. I know that their DNA doesn't match up, but maybe Weapon X messed with them. Either that or it's a plot hole the writers didn't realize or care about. Maybe the reason Wolverine has bone claws and Sabretooth doesn't is that they have a different mother. By the way, is the groundskeeper the father of Wolverine's older brother too? It's implied that he had claws as well.

And it's revealed in a fairly recent(in the past 2-3 years or so) Wolverine comic that his healing factor heals over certain unpleasant memories, erasing them. They didn't really explain it a whole lot though, like why certain unpleasant memories remain and some don't. In Origin, he blocks out the memories that occured before his mutation coming out, though he remembers when Dog shows up at the end.

eleveninches
But his brother had identical powers, and so did his clone. Although his brother had better ghost-like powers as well

Havoc470
when they invented wolvie there was no reason to create the bone claws, except when his adamantium was taken from him in '93, but before he had the adamantium and was fighting in WWII with cap he used the normal claws to scale buildings with and would give way to him actually noticing that he's had claws before, whether they're bone or adamantium

i dont think dog is sabretooth at all, i think the resemblance was meant to be made so you could have an understanding of why wolvie fights sabretooth

imo its just a misdirect, like how james is called logan in recent comics which ironically is the name of the man he killed

norrin radd

SnakeEyes
I AGREE

eleveninches
No. Wolvies older brother is the guy in wolverine:the end, who has bone claws and can move through things like a ghost

Havoc470
eleven hit it on the money

norrin radd

Havoc470
like who? everyone who has powers like wolverine were made by weaponX

norrin radd

Havoc470
no im just asking, i didnt mean it to sound offending or anything

norrin radd

Havoc470
yeah im guessing before they couldnt add a healing factor in, so they had wolverine, sabretooth, wildchild and a few more people.....but i guess they had the technology to do it on deadpool and that x-23 person, although nothings been said about x-23's past

norrin radd

Havoc470
hmmm...interesting

Irish Wolverine
In a recent Wolverine story arc, they had a woman who had the same powers as Wolverine

Havoc470
yeah, thats x-23

nothings been said about the character though, it was some idea claremont used from the xmen cartoon....but i think new weaponX characters are pretty tiring already...i mean weaponX has been supposedly stopped since the subject was first open

Mightyrain
yes but it was a covert organization (sp) and would hide parts or all of it's factions. Who says that the only branch was the one Wolvie came from? Now if I recall the issue with X23 she had a flash back in one panel of her and Logan fighting... which would mean they have fought before... She had the instinct to attack him programmed in her head from there past... they left it all pretty open ended.

Which reminds me what happened to Wildchild? And did they ever have any past for him... I don't know much about him, but I always had the thought that he is related to Wolvie or Sabretooth... or both.

eleveninches
x-23 was the girl who was in NYX a while back as well.

Havoc470
none of those characters are related to another, alot of people think they have family ties to one another, but its just weaponX characters, thats their only relation

wildchild was in the weaponX series a while back, but he was just beaten badly by sabretooth and no one bothered touching the character again, which is sad because i'd like to see him have a good run for once

anyway of course weaponX is a covert organization, but they've been under wraps for a while now and then now is when x-23 comes out, i mean its getting tiring they should've really gotten that over with already, or at least try something new with it instead of: man with 3 claws and a healing factor to girl with 2 claws (and one on each foot) with a healing factor.......back then they at least incorporated different characters like cyber or deadpool, what next x-5000 thats an adamantium porcupine? claremont really has to stop

by the way x-23 never fought wolverine in the past, in her training she fought simulations of wolvie to attack him on instinct

norrin radd
Could someone post the poem of William Blake that appears in the origin? i have the poem translated to portuguese.

Paola
moving to X-Men forum...

(hope you get more replies there)

raventears
TIGER, tiger, burning bright
In the forests of the night,
What immortal hand or eye
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

In what distant deeps or skies
Burnt the fire of thine eyes?
On what wings dare he aspire?
What the hand dare seize the fire?

And what shoulder and what art
Could twist the sinews of thy heart?
And when thy heart began to beat,
What dread hand and what dread feet?

What the hammer? what the chain?
In what furnace was thy brain?
What the anvil? What dread grasp
Dare its deadly terrors clasp?

When the stars threw down their spears,
And water'd heaven with their tears,
Did He smile His work to see?
Did He who made the lamb make thee?

Tiger, tiger, burning bright
In the forests of the night,
What immortal hand or eye
Dare frame thy fearful symmetry?

norrin radd
Thank you so much

RielKid
Hi I'm a newbe. I had just finish reading the comic of Wolverine's origin last night which I thought was great, no problem with it of whatsoever. I don't think that this comic ruins wolverine's character at all. I was just reading the thread and stuff about who is who. And so far no one had said some other stuff that I had in my mind. This is what I thought after reading the comic:

At first I thought Dog was Wolverine since his dad looked liked him and had the family name 'Logan'. But we all know that Wolverine was none other than James Howlett after reading it all. So then who is Dog? I started thinking and remembered that Sabretooth as a child was always abused by his dad. That's who dog is. How? Well someone mentioned that he was the (presumed) older brother of James (Wolverine) Howlett. What I think is that Dog is just a half brother of Wolverine. James probably had a real older brother who was the biological son of Wolverine's dad, John, and really did die. But then again, norrin radd had a good point when the mother said not you too, after James killed Logan. I'm beginning to think that James is really Dog's younger brother. If you look at the pictures, the grandpa, looks like Sabretooth while Logan looks like Wolverine. Jame's (Wolverine) mom did had an affair with Logan (you can tell by the pictures). And good sir John thought it was his son(s).
To put it simply, I think Jame's dad is Logan. While Dog's is that Grandfather, good John's Dad. I think the grandfather slept or raped John's wife, and the wife told Logan that is was his son and gave Dog to Logan. While she kept James and trick her husband John that James is his. Doesn't it sound logical. The grandpa has no kindness or remorse, just like sabretooth.
And about that adamantium thing. Don't forget that in the Weapon X situation. Scientist bonded adamantium to their subject's bones. Did you read that, BONES, they did not add anything else. So Wolverine had that claws with him as a part of his bones. It wasn't adamantium built. And about that World War with Capt. America, scientist did wipe out his memories. And Sabretooth's healing probably did kicked in later in life.

radioboy121
Yes, I believe Dog is a half-brother and it's always possible that James' mother was possibly raped somewhere along the line. She was after all traumatized and somewhat loony.

Although Dog had that cut on his face, it's still always possible that this could still be Sabertooth. After all, there have been cases where mutant abilities come in much later in life (i.e. Rhapsody) rather than the standard puberty period. However, Sabertooth has also shown to have dreams of himself being chained and muzzled as a child and treated as a savage animal. If this is actually true and not a Weapon X implant, then they are not related.

Adamantium does not cause claw protrusion in the subjects with exception of the "What if Wolverine had battled Weapon X," but that's not a valid source. Sabertooth did not adapt claws to tract and retract when he got enhanced and yes Wolverine did have bone claws before as shown in Origin and after the Magneto leeching out the adamantium incident.

Actually, Wolverine after the Captain America meeting in 1941 served in the Canadian Army during World War 2. He was not captured by the Weapon X program until much later in the Cold War (perhap's 60's?) as he's shown to be involved with Arkady (i.e. Omega Red) and the Terry Adams mission (with the Epislom Red incident) before sporting his adamantium claws.

RielKid
Thanks for clearing that up radioboy. What a sad story that comic Origin was isn't it?

radioboy121
Yes, Logan's life has been laden with many tragedies. Rose's death was heartwrenching, but just emphasizes his inkling for redheads. She makes a somewhat hinted reappearance during one of his near death experiences, but he mistakenly thought she was Jean.

RielKid
Really? Rose (or a red head woman) popped in Wolverine's head when he nearly died. When was that?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.