Romeo and Juliet is a romantic story

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jury
Okay, Romeo and Juliet is a love story. But romantic? --> erm

It's a story of two spoiled brats on their puberty. Girl meets boy, blah! blah! blah! Girl going nuts over her raging hormones with her cycle and all. And when banned from seeing her beaux - did R18 with him on the veranda.

Horny boy now thinks it's true love, the lamest excuse ever.

Girl tried a hellish potion that would render her temporarily dead. More like brain-dead. Jeez! There is no such potion that temporarily kills. I bet an eletroencephalograph couldn't register any brain activity on Juliet.

Girl's parents played along with their daughter's death trick and organize a fake burial to satisfy Juliet's capricious whims. Then, boom! Everybody's dead.

How romantic could that be? messed

Jury
yawn

badboy2004
it is romantic

Telperaca
It's not! It's a freaking pain in the a$$, especially when you've got a teacher who makes you analyse ever single word on every page and just takes away the little enojoyment in the few scenes...

Jury
see? happy

Telperaca
Geez, we need more book revievers who are like you and tell the truth rather than make up some bullsh!t.

big grin

Jury
laughing out loud

Storm
Truth? Merely perception or opinion.

T.M
what would u say is romantic if two people who are willing to die because they cannot be together isnt?

RaventheOnly
Err!!!! you people can't respect the words with which Shakespear uses. schmoll The language, the genuine istances; eveything about the play is suppose to be romantic. tongue

KillTheLight
yes

Some of the language Shakespeare uses is beautiful and romantic itself which helps emphasise the whole romance aspect of the story.

JToTheP
You people have lost your f*ckin minds. roll eyes (sarcastic)

I didn't see it as much Romance, as I did see it as "being with the one you love no matter what", although I saw Romance in it. Jury your description of it was absolute sh!t for starters, and I think your reading way to many romance novels, compared to a story that branches off with different forms of Romance. I say Shakespeare when he originally wrote Romeo & Juliet, before all the damn take-offs, remakes etc, was trying to prove that love will make you do anything to be with/around the one you love, until the very end.

Corran
and that in itself is Romantic, they were going against their families wishes to be with each other, that's romantic in itself - have you people no romance?

T.M
^to right that is romantic

JToTheP
Apparently they don't at all, they've been brainwashed by other Romance novels, and never take the time to read some stories like Romeo & Juliet, which I personally thought was pretty good.

sniper
the potion juliet took didnt make her temporarily dead, it just slowed her heart rate down to the point that, at that time, they couldnt tell she was alive, so her family was having her buried, as they thought she poisoned herself.

WindDancer
Gawd! I hate this damn Shakesperan tale more than anything.

Samurai Guy
Romantic in the sense that they would allow nothing to intervien in their love. Not their petty family quarrels, not even death.

Jury
OMG... you people really took it seriously. no expression

badboy2004
right so its not because they both kill each other at the end

RagingSilent
All through English this year, my class has been learning about Romeo and Juliet. I do think that it is somewhat romantic....yet I doubt that they were actually in love.messed and that's what kinda kills the romance....I mean, come on, firstly, Romeo apparently loves Rosaline, (one of the Capulets) then after he sees Juliet, he 'loves' hermessed...it's all based on looks....I'm sure that if Juliet was unattractive, Romeo would not have paid any attention to her whatsoever.

woh, I kinda got carried awayembarrasment

BackFire
They risked thier lives to be together, gave up everything in their lives to be together, and in the end died because they couldn't bare the thought of livign without the other. If that's not romantic I don't know what is.

Jedi Priestess
Have you never heard of love at first sight? Shakespeare's plays were very indicative of the times in which he wrote them. You guys are forgetting you've had a few hundred years of technological advances to taint your opinion.

They experienced love at first sight and would have done anything to be together, despite the hatred the families shared for each other that ended up costing Tybalt his life as well.

I think what makes so many high school people loathe this play or any of Shakespeare's works, is because you have a hard time grasping his meaning due to the language that he uses when he writes. It is almost alway necessary to look deeper into Shakespeare's writing when its presented at the high school level, but if you will give his works a chance and really make an effort , you will find he was a most excellent study on the human relationship. wink

Silver Stardust
I love Romeo and Juliet...okay, part of that is cos I love Shakespeare's works in general. But Romeo and Juliet has to be one of my favorites (after Midsummer Night's Dream), even though when I read it freshman year of high school I didn't like it too much. It's possibly one of the most romantic stories ever written.

Jackie Malfoy
I hate that sorry it has the kind of ending that makes you want to scream and yell at the stupid book.I think of it as a sad story about two lovers who die at the end of the book.
and who to me is not very bright.I mean who does this in real life?Anyway the only thing that I like about it is that it remains me of the hp shipers Draco and Hermonie.
To me they are like Romeo and Juliet.Too bad they can't be a couple.Oh well see you around.JM

bilbofett
First off, its STORY, not sorry, Good Grief.

Second, its not a book, dumb*ss, its a play.

Third, when and if (and given your complete lack of insight, its a BIG if) you & someone do fall in love, maybe you will understand it more. It's called life experience, babe, please wait till you have some before posting further.

Fourth, its more a study in the complexities of familial and, if you want to look deeper, political relations. The love story is what gets the most press, but there is much more going on there.

Fifith, JK Rowling cannot begin to compare to Shakespeare. The man was a genius in every way, but mostly in his beautiful usage of the english language. Even if you don't like the story its worth reading for the dialogue alone.

Wait ten years & read it again. Makes all the difference in the world.

Jackie Malfoy
Please note that if you want to say something to me please use good launage.Or you may be in my list before the day is over.Second I know it is a play and I said notheirng about comparing it to JK Rowling.
I was simply saying that if Hermonie or Draco like each other it would be like Romeo a nd Juliet.Please read carefully before you decided to judge someone.Thank you.JM

T.M
i don't want to sound nasty or anything but you just spelt language and nothing wrong messed

bilbofett
Last i looked a$$ is not a four letter word darlin'.......

Jackie Malfoy
I know I forgot to correct it.Thanks for leting me know anyway!JM

shellie
*sighs* this constant bashing is getting old.........give it a rest , damn .

Jackie Malfoy
Yea it is geting old hopfully you blashers will get a life soon and stop brothering me in every thread I responed to.JM

lil bitchiness
If I wasnt a mod, I would reply to your post, and point out the wrongness of it.

Anna85
BLeagh!!!

Jury
Actually... this isn't serious... it was really a "pure" joke.. I dunno... maybe humour differ from culture to culture. erm

That's why I posted this in OTF.

My friend laugh to death when he read it.. i dunno with you, people erm

Apology. closedeyes

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.