Should the Elderly take a re-test for Driving a Motor Vehicle?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Daedalus
I personally think they should, not discriminating the Elderly of course, because there are some (okay, very few) that can actually drive.

But there are far to many who are completly oblivious to other road users, far too many times have I been driving down a road, had to swerve to avoid a speeding old person, and they haven't even looked in my direction!

Insurance companies work in a way that the Elderly get super-cheap insurance for fast cars (ie. Mercs, Beemers etc.) but are more likely to have an accident due to slow reactions and/or physical impairment like poor vision. And young drivers are penalised for the fact that, well, they're young and "inexperienced".

This, I think, is unfair considering, even though statistically most people involved in motor vehicle accidents are people aged between 17-26 (or something), that the ones given access to the faster cars are less aware of the road.

The point I'm trying to make is that they're too dangerous on the road and if a majority were re-examined I'm confident in my oppinion that most would fail.

Oppinions?

Sun Ce
this thread shoudl be in "General Disscusion"

Daedalus
I would've put it there, but for some reason, this machine "filtered" that section of the site.

Sun Ce
well geta mod to move it there

Clovie
some kind of test would be apreciatte

Daedalus
How about.

No.

Daedalus
Thank you! Thank you for making a relevant post!pray

Corran
Hell yes, my grandmother is definately not safe on the roads currently, I'm sure when she passed her test she was quite safe, but the roads were far less busy and currently I'm sure she must cause at least one accident a month and be completely oblivious to it.

Daedalus
Thats my point! (No offence your your Grandmother obviously) And chances are, causing a "Young Driver" to crash, adding the the "Statistics".

Corran
I also think young drivers are not THAT safe either, when I passed my test I thought I was the best driver on the road cos I passed first time, however several years of driving and getting more road awareness makes me realise how unsafe I was at the time.

Clovie
laughing out loud no prob.

Daedalus
I totally agree, the whole "boy racer syndrome" thing at the moment is kinda worrying, its all "fast, fast, fast...crash".

But you'd think being younger and more aware etc. that this wouldn't be the case... erm

Daedalus
Who voted "Cheese and Bacon Sandwiches"?

Corran
It's not just boy racers. It especially applies to new drives going on the motorways, there should be part of the test or learning cycle to get them ready for motorway driving.

Daedalus
I'll never forget my first time on a motorway...I bricked it, I'm okay now, but I wasn't fully prepared for it when I drove on one.

chelsea24
i wanna learn to drive just not got around to learning erm

Clovie
i'm afraid of drving bag

Jackie Malfoy
Yes I think it would be good for them to get retested also any other people young or old.It never hurts to be a safer driver if you are unsure about certain things.
Man I can't wait to drive!JM

Daedalus
Its great! Expensive.......BUT GREAT! big grin

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.