Ringu

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Cinemaddiction
Saw plenty of "The Ring" threads, none for the original.

I finally got around to seeing this, and while I wasn't TOTALLY dissatisfied, it seems as if Asian "horror" isn't all it's cracked up to be?
After "Ju-on", "The Grudge", "St. Johns Wart", and "The Eye", I'm still totally settled, as nothing has really shook me yet.

The best way to describe "Ringu", in my own words, would be a cake without frosting. Great, unique story for the base BUT NO THRILLS! It had great pacing, and kept me interested, but I was waiting to see some of the outrageous, NIN-ish visuals like the remake. There weren't any.

Three things kind of geekishly got to me. Those being; the girl coming out of the well dry at the end, the line about the mother dying over 40 years ago, way before the invention of video tape, and they never explained who made the video?

Any of these questions answered in the trilogy sequels? Still think "The Ring" is 10x better, based on just visuals alone, as the story is almost identical.

Mr Zero
Oh you're just doing this to piss me off now... admit it !!!

pr1983
my sentiments exactly, i love that movie...

bollocks.

Cinemaddiction
You conveniently forgot to quote the "Still think.." segment of my post. wink

pr1983
i didnt, but i didnt think it was neccessary, just like "bollocks" is just my opinion.

botankus
I rented it two weeks ago and turned it off an hour into it because I've already seen The Ring about eight times. Plus, it was late and I didn't feel like reading.

Also, Cory, why didn't you think Ju-on was worth seeing? I haven't seen it, but was just wondering because if you look at the video cover and all the critical acclaim on it in the video store you would think it was the second coming of The Exorcist.

Cinemaddiction
For the record, leaving out the "Still think.." line of my quote makes what I said look like I was presenting as a matter of fact, when it's not. I don't want what I say misinterpreted or misundersood, especially when I go out of my way to do so. That's a pet peeve of mine.

The differences between the US and Japanese versions, in retrospect, are kind of strong. But the story is still the same. Just a little role reversal, some people playing less pivotal roles.

As for "Ju-on", it's almost a totally different movie. Like our version of "The Ring" it's a little dumbed down and condensed. "Ju-on" has 3 or 4 storylines, which throws off the chronology like something horrible. The actors in place of the US version's CGI was nice, but the cheap "scares" and that ridiculously funny burping ghost were along for the ride, too.

Neither were scary, in my opinion, and the negatives outweigh the positives.

..and as an open invitation. You guys want to debate the quality/difference between the versions of "The Ring",then lets go. Don't just sit there and disagree. Rarely does anyone bother doing anything more than that. If I can make examples as to why I disliked it, surely you cats can counter. stick out tongue

dean7879
the japanese one is better...its unfair to say the american one is better cos all it really is, is a copy.....if u watched the american version first then u probably wont like ringu....they are virtually identical anyway

pr1983
apologies cinemaddiction, i did not intend any offence.

as for the two ring movies. i found the direction easily better in the japanese version, there just seemed to be more a sense of suspense with the characters, and i love those 'over the shoulder' shots, when the character turns around, though they do get used a bit much. there also just seemed to be more urgency about the while thing in ringu, in a good way. and imo the acting was a lot better.

i've seen ring 0, ringu and ring 2, and i have to say i loved all three.

zombieman
Im really a big fan of Asian horror at all, I accept that they have far more original ideas than American and European horror film makers at the moment, but I personally find them dull and confusing.

If anyones interested in the origin of the video tape from Ringu, I think its revealed in the spin-off 'The Spiral', I could be wrong on that though.

Major Knight
i have to disagree. I'm sorry and usually anything that is Asian i find to be better then what is out in NA, but for this movie i have to say NA got the better version. The Ringu version is out dated and past that there is no sense of anything near creepy or scary. At the end i hate both version but if i had to pick one of these movies based on the worst story line for a scary movie, i would say "the ring"(NA version).

Lord_Andres
I hated the american one of the worst horror movies I have ever seen, its overrated IMO, the story is as stupit as stupit can get, acting isint anything special, it made me laugh to be honest!

Cinemaddiction
The story is the exact same, so what makes it worse than the original? It's also far from overrated, as hardly anyone likes it to begin with.

I thought it was creepy, and the visuals were some of the eeriest to date. While it wasn't horrifying, I thought it was fun to watch.

BackFire
There are alot of people who love the Ring. Just not on this board. It is hugely over rated, one of the most generic and simply average horror films I've ever seen. Alot of people (most, if not all of which are NOT big on horror to begin with) think it's one of the scariest movies ever, thus, it's over rated because there is a pretty good number of people who like it, when it's nothing more then average.

Haven't bothered with the original.

Major Knight
Damn you think the grudge was stupid but you think this movie was creepy. even me how warped him self to be afraid of many horrors found this movie to be weak on the creepy factor. but w/e

Cinemaddiction
Creepy visuals, sure. Samara's make-up application, the video, and cinematography, Samara crawling through the television screen. Sure did.

The movie was vanilla, but the visuals more than made up for it.

MildPossession
The Spiral(Rasen) directed by Joji Iida was another version of Ringu made by someone else, tried to follow the book more deeply than Ringu did.

There is a Korean movie called Ring Virus also directed by Kim Dong Bin, which is another remake of Ringu.

Just mentioning, but another one of Hideo Nakatas (ringu) films is getting remade, Chaos. Robert Deniro in this remake apparently.

As for Ringu and The Ring, I love both versions. And I am looking forwards to seeing how they have changed the sequel remake since they wanted to keep a certain character in most of the film. Hideo is directing Ring 2 remake if I am not mistaken? so should be interesting.

Lord_Andres
What the hell is Robert thinking???????? it'l be bad for sure, the whole idea about that ring story is just plain ridicilues

MildPossession
It's only rumoured, so don't worry yet lol. Benico Del Toro is up for a role in it also.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.