Hunting for food or sport?Is it a good thing or a bad thing?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jackie Malfoy
I am not judging anyone by asking this question it is up to you to answrear it.
I think I argee with my twin sister about hunting I don't like it if you kill animals just for sport it sounds crual.
The food part I am not sure about either.so what are your thoughts on this?JM Happy Dance

Darth Sauron
Killing for food is wrong
killing for sport is wrong

food- we have plenty of natural things we could live from, ending a life for our own needs is wrong. But hey, its not going to stop me eating steak wink

Jackie Malfoy
LOL!Me too!Do you think it is selfish however to kill an animal for no reason I mean for sport?I think it is.JM

pr1983
for sport, it is cruel.

for food if you have no other alternative, i'd find nothing wrong with it. i'd hunt for food if i had to.

BackFire
I think hunting is stupid, especially in this day and age. What, do the grocery stores have a shortage of food or something?

The best thing about hunting is when you hear about someone who is hunting deer for no reason other then "exercising our constitutional rights" or something, and then a bear kills them. Oh boohoo. Good riddance.

WindDancer
Killing for the thrill: Yes
Killing for food: Yes

If you don't kill them they will you kill you.

lil bitchiness
Yeah, absolutely, why dont we all get guns right now and start shooting each other - doesnt matter what species we are, becaue if i dont kill you SURELY you will kill me.

Hey, if we dont do any experiments on animals, surely they'll do some on us, we must protect ourselfs!

pr1983
i was talking about special circumstances, otherwise id just go down to the shop...

and backfire yr absolutely right

WindDancer
Sounds fair to me. Everyone should own a gun. yes

btw-I really hope you aren't taking me serious. Because I'm not taking this topic seriously.

KharmaDog
Whether you agree with it or not depends on alot of things, but I will say that movements concerning the conservation and preservation of our natural resources all started (and are still supported very strongly) by hunters, fisherman and other outdoorsman.

Right now (in Ontario) we have more white-tailed deer and black bear in our province than at any other point in history. Us living here has made a more suitable environment for some animals and those populations are not self governing. A lot of deer are going to die slow painful deaths this winter because they will starve because the area cannot support them.

We have manipulated and screwed up the environment pretty bad, and now sometimes culls are necessary.

I used to hunt for food when I lived in the arctic, but I am not a sport hunter. And even though I am not a hunter, I cannot condemn people who do it ethically.

naybean
i think hunting should be heavily licenced. I dont like people who go around shooting animals out of helicopters trying to see how many they can shoot in one day. But when its stuff like fox hunting and stuff although i dont like it, it has its place. as for killing meant for food - we breed the animals for food in the first place so we might as well eat them. I try to avoid battery food though cos its disturbing how those animals are kept.

finti
huh why would I hunt sport? stick out tongue

Afro Cheese
I don't like hunting at all. I can't find one good reason for it, nowadays wouldn't it be easier to buy food from the store then hunt it down yourself? I'm not positive but it probably costs more just to maintain your gun and buy bullets than it does to go to the store and buy already processed meat.

Hunting for sport is even worse and much more common.

Shaolin Monk
It all depends. For instance...

When I was born, my parents were literally rolling pennies to buy milk and diapers. They had no money, were living with my grandma. My mom was unemployed, taking care of me and my brother. My dad's ex-wife cleaned him of all his posessions when they divorced, and he lost a lot of money over the whole ordeal...which led him to debt. All the money he made from his car salesmen job went to various companies he owed money to. After work he would go cut wood, and sell wood during Fall and Winter. Our food came from him hunting. Wild boars and deer mainly. We moved into our own house when I was 3. So dad had new debts. He continued to sell firewood on the side, and our source of food was still from hunting. This lasted until I was 11.

Dad rarely hunts anymore. He does it for the meat. Of course now, he is 53, and has come a looong way. So he rarely hunts anymore, as him and mom both have good jobs.

In a situation like that, I think hunting is definetely ok. Some ppl think "there is no need to hunt, you can go buy it at the store"...2 things....first, some ppl can't always afford it...second, I gurantee meat tastes better from a fresh hunt, then from a store...anyday

Plus, hunting the elusive black tail bucks in Northern California is no easy task.

So do I think hunting is ok? In situations where it is your main source of food due to other situations, yes. In situations where you want a new fur coat, no.

Nazgulinthedark
i dont particurly like hunting, ive never been hunting, but some people find some kind of thrill in it. i say, shoot what you want as long as you dont make anything go extinict.
and just because i dont like it im not going to sit here and complain, because some people think its creul to ride horses, but hey, thats what i like and i dont appretiate people telling me its wrong.

Darth Prefect
i hunt, my family hunts, and their family before them. i think its fun. and i would most definitely hunt for food if i had too.

my whole family owns guns. i do too. i plan on getting a .22 for fun.

Arachnoidfreak
Hunting is unnecessary today, this is true, but people do it anyway. All I have to say is, if you are going to kill animals, make sure you use the whole ****ing animal. Killing it and then leaving it there to rot, or to take it home as a trophy is ****ing stupid. Take the Native Americans as an example, and use the entire animal. Have some ****ing respect. Eat the meat, use the fur, carve it's bones into whatever you want, but don't waste it all.

With that being said, I want some meat for dinner tonight.

Darth Prefect
i am Native American.

SlipknoT
I'm against hunting. Why do you need to go kill an inocent animal in the woods when you can go to the grocery store and buy all of the meat you want. And if you do it for sport your just a plain idiot. And the only people who hunt are rednecks and guys with small dicks.

Arachnoidfreak
You obviously didn't read the post made by the guy who was too poor to buy food.

Jesus, can't people ****ing read?

WindDancer
Okay, for those that oppose hunting and see it as barbaric because we have supermarkets think of about what you're saying. Now, were you aware that there still tribes that practice the ritual of hunting in this day and age? In the Amazon there are few tribes that still practice this for survival. Brazil is believed to have the largest populations of indigenous people living in isolation from the outside world. The government-established National Indian Foundation (FUNAI) estimates there are more than 50 such groups and has established several reserves to protect their isolation.

These tribes are still living like they did centuries ago before the arrival of the Europeans on the land. So, yes! They are still living in the natural habitat. They don't go to the Super market or the local 7/11 to buy their food. They choose to remain isolated from the rest of the world for many reasons. So they have to hunt and kill to survive. Is in their culture to continue to live that way for as long as they want.

People that hunt are NOT all rednecks with small dicks. There are people out there that will not be a part of this industrialize society. So whether you agree or not about hunting. These tribes depend on the art of hunting to survive.

BackFire
Ugh, I don't think anyone's objecting to some tribes in the Amazon hunting. It's their ONLY source for food so obviously that's different then some redneck in mississippi shooting rabbits out of boredom.

mc pee pants
i have no problem with hunting. the only thing is, humans tend to overdo it and kill everything on sight.

Nazgulinthedark
hey, now rabbits are way too over polulated so its probably doing the farmer down the road some good stick out tongue

KharmaDog
Actually, hunting for food is alot more humane than what animals go through in slaughter houses.

Also animals are not innocent, nore are they guilty. By atttributing human qualities on animals all we do is serve to disrespect them and fail to understand nature.

Ethical hunting is not all that bad in my mind, and may actually serve to conect a person more closely to the nature of things. Then again, i could be full of crap 'cause I just had alot to drink at dinner tonight. Happy Dance

WindDancer
Speaking of Rabbits. I heard that farmers actually do have kill gophers and other pests that ruined the crops. They even have hunt them for sport. That makes sense kill the moles that eat your crops. No point in capturing them since they will return to ruin the crops.

Nazgulinthedark
yes my grampa shot armadillos and rabbits all the time, my dad used to shoot squerrils 'cause they ruined our pecan trees. rodents are just annoying.

Shaolin Monk
wtf? armadillos? laughing out loud

wuTa
i dont see the big deal about hunting if you eat what you kill....whats the difference between eating a cow and a deer..its actually more healthy to eat venacine from a deer than to eat meat from a cow that has been propped and drugged with toxins...what makes it ok to eat and kill a tamed animal but not a wild animal

Imaginary
Armadillos are cool! mad

WindDancer
I don't blame him. He is doing the right thing. If those vermin are ruining his crops....blast those critters.

Alpha Centauri
"Sounds fair to me. Everyone should own a gun."

At one point the death toll from handguns in the US, where they are legal was once, I believe around 225,000 a year. In England at that time, it was 79.

But apparantly everyone should own a gun. Because there is no connection between owning a gun and shooting someone and not owning a gun and not shooting someone is there?

-AC

WindDancer
You did read the spoiler right?

At that point in thread I wasn't being serious. The amazoneans post is serious.

Alpha Centauri
Yeah, I know.

Just pointing out.

-AC

SlipknoT
no its humans that are overpopulated, we just see them all of the time because we keep pushing into thier habitat.

vaya_the_elf
I think hunting for food is ok, as long as we don't over do it. Now hunting for sport, thats just wrong. There are other sports out there that dont hurt animals. Like paintballing, sword fighting, and fencing. No need to kill to have fun.

Jedi Priestess
Clearly most of you are city folks. I live in rural America and the deer population here has exploded. Farmers have had alot of damage done to their crops due to the influx in the deer population. Highway deer/vehicle accidents are skyrocketing and the fatality rate is climbing along with it. In many instances hunting helps to cut down on the deer population. There are always pros and cons to every question regarding hunting, but I think the answers vary from differing parts of the country.

What I have a problem with are people who go out and shoot animals just to shoot something. nono

Darth Revan
Hunting is fine by me, as long as it is regulated. Like JP said, it can be beneficial to the environment if it's done in the right amounts and at the right time of year--the natural predators of deer are so few anymore that they NEED somebody to pick a few off in order to keep the general population healthy and to keep everybody else (humans, other animals and what have you) happy. Funny how over hunting of some species has led to the need to hunt others.

I live inside the city limits, but that being said, I am not a "city person" at all. My dad and his brother and sister own some land out in the country (she lives there) and I've always spent a lot of time out there hacking down blackberries and putting electric fencing back up and shit... Plus we own two horses now that my sister rides so I get to go clean stalls sometimes. W00t. So to make a long story short I am very aware of how damaging deer and some other critters can be to country folk. Other critters being things like opossums, which spread EPM (really nasty neurological disease) in horses. I don't like killing things, but I'll be damned if a giant rat is going to crap in my hay and kill everything on the property...

Silver Stardust
"I'll be damned if a giant rat is going to crap in my hay and kill everything on the property..."

laughing out loud I'm sorry, but that just cracked me up...

Now, I am a city girl, even though I haven't actually lived in Chicago itself for 17 years, but I've always lived in the area, which is pretty urban and highly populated, even out in the suburbs...but my aunt lives out in what my family likes to refer to bu-fu Illinois, pretty much the middle of nowhere. And out there they're always having problems with deer and coyotes. So basically what I think is that hunting for food is okay, if it's your main way of getting food, and hunting to keep animal population under control or because the animals are pests (spreading disease, ruining crops, etc.) is okay, so long as it's regulated...I mean, damn, even where I live, 10 minutes outside of Chicago, we have a freakin' ton of deer around here. The other day as I was driving home from school there was one sitting on the side of the road messed But hunting just to kill? No way.

Darth Surgent
I'm comfortable with my penis size, so I don't feel the need to hunt needlessly.

Yeah, I said it. So what?

naybean
laughing i think hunting should be licenced to prevent people going out and killing the entire population of the animal they are hunting in one trip. well you know what i mean. Also to ensure that peopleare killing the animals in a relatively humane way.

Scarpa
Hungting for food or sport is okey

Jedi Priestess
Hunting is very regulated in my state, first you must take a hunter's safety course and pass a test, then you must apply for and pay for a license, then you have to get a permit for the type of game you are hunting. And woe be the person who goes out and hunts without having proof of the above mentioned things on their person. They take your gun, make you pay a very steep fine, and ban you from hunting for a long time. And this happens several times over the course of each season as there are people who dont follow the rules.

Darth Revan
laughing out loud

I kinda know where you're coming from. Like I said I think hunting can be beneficial in a lot of ways, but quite a few of the people who do it are nonetheless ego-tripping idiots...

Capt_Fantastic
I've been hunting. I've hunted deer in Virginia. I went hunting on a farm in Florida once, we ended up shooting an alligator. I know it's illegal, but it came at us...so, we all just let loose on the thing.

I also know that fresh tastes best. However, I also don't really like deer meat. It just tastes weird to me. I don't hunt for my food, as a cow or a chicken don't really have the motivation for getting out of the way.

If you're poor and deer hunting gets food on the table, then shoot away. But I can also understand that the guy who has to hunt for his dinner isn't going to be in a position to stockpile assault weapons and hand grenades.

Darth Revan
I actually like deer meat... I don't eat it much, but I've had it a couple times, and it was pretty good.

Jedi Priestess
Deer meat has that gamey taste that can be avoided by adding pork or beef tallow (sp?) during processing. wink

Capt_Fantastic
Hum? That explains a lot actually. There is a resturant here in town that serves what I guess you wuld call "exotic" foods, like Deer and Rabbit and Camel and Ostrich. There is a pork friend deer dish on the menu, and I've always wondered why not just serve pork instead.

WindDancer
I believe most states in the US do require a person to buy a hunting license. If you don't get one most likely a heavy fine will be apply.

Shaolin Monk
Yep, all of the US requires a hunting license...you have to take Hunter Safety Courses to take the test for your hunting license...and where I live, you are allowed to shoot 2 bucks a year...to be considered a "legal buck" it must have a spike on one side (one horn) and a fork on the other side (2 horns)...and you gotta buy deer tags for each zone that you hunt in...doe (female deer) hunting is out of the question except maybe every other year, when the doe population is really high...when that happens, they have a drawing...you enter your name, and a select few are allowed to hunt doe's in a specified area.

Wild pig can be hunted anytime of the year as long as you have a license and pig tags...pig tags are extremely cheaper than deer tags due to their population

Capt_Fantastic
You can shoot anything you want on private property. My grandfathers farm is about 1000 acres just next to the blue ridge parkway. It's not very often that a forest ranger comes walking across. They pretty much do as they please there.

Capt_Fantastic
I am all for hunting pigs

Predator 89
hunting for food its good i'll support that, for sport no i find it cruel and inhuman i mean you kill something just to make yourself feel better, or out of bordom? Thats senceless and stupid. As for what DR said the government could regulate populations of animals in the enviornment to a certain degree proves beneficial but only if research is conducted and animal population is set faily.

liltiggasmootay
hunting is fun...i used to think it wasnt really right killing animals but then i went out hunting and shot a deer and it was a good time and it was yummy deer steak too! smile

fever red
Lots of doe hunting and extended season hunting here, due to CWD (chronic wasting disease). Good times...hey, why am I staggering and drooling so much? I don't see Silver Tear's sig anywhere, and I haven't had a drink... Puzzling. I'll think it over, following this seizure.

SlipknoT
Like I said, if humans didnt keep destroying thier habitat then we wouldnt see them as often

SlipknoT
What if your a poor person in NY and you have a gun and you cant find any animals, would it be okay to shoot a random person and eat them? I mean after all the guy was hungry.

And you must have done something to piss the alligator off because they run when they are scared, also I used to own one.

Darth Surgent
I don't have any problem with hunting when it's necessary. What I'd like to know is if there is an aspect to English Fox Hunting that I don't see. As far as I know, it's a great deal of upper-class people who are clinging to it because it's a "way of life" to them. blink

Is there an aspect to this situation that I'm missing, because it seems quite straightforward currently? erm

Darth Revan
Originally, it was a serious thing--there really was an overpopulation of foxes in England. Then some farmers got their hounds together and went galloping across the countryside in search of the vermin. Well, they got the fox population down, but then they realized that running around on horses jumping over obstacles was a lot of fun. So they kept right on hunting them, even though it was no longer necessary... I used to ride quite a bit and I must admit foxhunting would probably be a lot of fun.

And it really IS a way of life to some people. Kinda hard to understand, I know, but if your family was into the whole elitist/snob/rich people horse sports like mine is (despite us not being rich blink ), you'd get it. I can't really explain it, but once you get one or two horses and start showing, it becomes your whole life. I imagine it would be the same, if not moreso, with fox hunting.

MC Mike
Hunting for food is fine. Hunting for sport is just like owning a sports car, your foot size is a 9 (US).

And owning a gun whatsoever = thumb down

Vampy
Hunting neutral for any reasons.

We're on the top of the food chain, thank god.

Imperial_Samura
I live in the country, know how to shoot and so forth, but hunting has never appealed to me (as I am an environmentalist), and see no sporting enjoyment, and no real reason for myself to hunt down food. I even release most of the fish I catch. Most. There is sometimes a third reason to hunt, and that is pest control. In Australia wild pigs, feral cats, foxes, carp and so forth do terrible damage to the environment, and have to be controlled. While I don't do it, in that case I support hunting unfortunately.

SlipknoT
I do like to fish though, but I throw them back.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.